English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 July 2024, 22:38   #21
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
I hope the book will have an entire chapter dedicated to PC specs.
If we're really lucky, every second chapter will be PC specs, the same ones, over and over and ...
Old 12 July 2024, 23:14   #22
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
David Pleasance loves "what if" threads too!
But what of he didn't?
Old 13 July 2024, 07:33   #23
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
I hope the book will have an entire chapter dedicated to PC specs.
Including (but not limited to) the of NVidia 4090 powered PCs dominance over the 1992 AGA world™. God, I really hope he nails that chapter.
Old Today, 16:22   #24
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I guess it is the style of the time...

Edit: "Sadly, less than 48 hours before the auction, we were cheated out of it *(full story in the new book)." Oh boy! I can't wait to read about how the evil world destroyed poor David's plans.
Ex-Commodore Germany's Petro Tyschtschenko was the wrong leadership for the Amiga.
Old Today, 16:29   #25
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Yes. Let's not forget that all the 'Commodore UK was by far the strongest subsidiary' talk comes from the same guy that bet that the CD32 would save the company. Mr Pleasance is a sales guy and a good one at that, but I don't think (<- personal opinion) that he would have saved whatever was left of the Amiga in Commodore's hands. Escom clearly just wanted to turn the Amiga assets into a profit (and failed), but the damage done from 1991 on would have required somebody well versed in salvaging a company, but a sales rep.
Read Commodore the Inside Story - The Untold Tale of a Computer Giant by David John Pleasance.

In private, David Pleasance warned Mehdi Ali about CD32's lower profit margins when compared to the A1200.

-----------
My comment:
Commodore International's last quarter had an $8 million dollar loss.
If 1993's 100,000 CD32 were A1200 units, it could have narrowed $8 million dollar loss.

For the public view, David Pleasance has a job to do i.e. sell Commodore's products in the UK.

After $8 million dollar loss, the business owners pulled the plug on Commodore International via voluntary bankruptcy and liquidation.

National subsidiaries Commodore UK and Commodore BV (Netherlands) survived bankruptcy but failed to place a bid to buy out the rest of the operation, or the former parent company. Commodore UK and Commodore BV (Netherlands) stayed in business by selling old inventory and making computer speakers and other types of computer peripherals. Commodore BV (Netherlands) dissolved in early 1995, leaving Commodore UK left to make a bid.

Last edited by hammer; Today at 16:41.
Old Today, 16:34   #26
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP alert View Post
Commodore tanked same year before PS1 hit Japan, once people had seen PS1 Ridge Racer nobody was buying any £400-500 computer without knowing their gaming options were Neolithic in comparison.

Money is not enough to make a 3D chipset worth a crap in 1994/95 vs PS1 Giant Killer GPU.
PS1's CPU (33 MIPS), GTE (66 MIPS), and Raster weren't a giant killer (fake) GPU since the transistor budget is about 1 million which is similar to Amiga Hombre's 1 million transistor budget. PS1's (fake) GPU doesn't have Z-buffer acceleration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP alert View Post
Massively complex Hombre chipset vs dirt cheap PS1 chipset comments from Haynie are signs of dementia lol and David Pleasance didn't have a clue when he was at C= UK as it was lol
Amiga Hombre chipset is $40.

Last edited by hammer; Today at 16:59.
Old Today, 16:45   #27
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
If we're really lucky, every second chapter will be PC specs, the same ones, over and over and ...
The PC world has stolen (assimilated) SGI's IP, hence the out-of-court settlement between SGI and NVIDIA. NVIDIA licensed SGI's "rich 3D patents" while SGI moved its hardware graphics division to NVIDIA.

A similar story to 3DFX vs NVIDIA, an out-of-court settlement between 3DFX and NVIDIA. Under the terms of the agreement, NVIDIA will give 3DFX $70 million in cash and 1 million shares of common stock for the patents, brand names, and current inventory relating to 3DFX's graphics chip business. In addition, a patent infringement suit between the two companies will be dismissed when the transaction is closed. Former 3DFX is a minority owner of NVIDIA.

NVIDIA *is* the SGI hardware graphics division successor with Jensen Huang's leadership team.

Last edited by hammer; Today at 16:56.
Old Today, 18:18   #28
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Like clockwork, amazing
Old Today, 18:50   #29
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Like clockwork, amazing
Yeah, here we go again