English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

View Poll Results: Are you willing to pay for a new Amiga Shoot ´em up?
Yes! A new professionally produced Amiga game for 7,50 EUR would be great! 48 69.57%
No! A Backbone game for sale? Are you kidding? / Nope! This is fanboy stuff. 21 30.43%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 April 2010, 07:58   #21
viddi

First of all Cammy is right! Thanks for your input.

And @Akira:
I´m very busy with "Blue Metal Rose" and this SEU project is for relaxing purposes.
I don´t want to communicate with a team, adhere to deadlines, check this and that...
This would be the opposite of having a rest, wouldn´t it?

I also like Backbone. It´s a nice tool and I like using it.
Again, a decent Backbone SEU is possible.
Old 27 April 2010, 08:18   #22
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I appreciate the thought, but to be honest I'm not sure that Backbone is up for the task of creating a decent shoot 'em up. Won't vote for now, but will surely have a look when the demo is out.
Maybe you could give us some ideas about the features of the game (upgrades, enemies & bosses, bonus stages, etc) viddi?
Old 27 April 2010, 08:34   #23
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Maybe you could give us some ideas about the features of the game (upgrades, enemies & bosses, bonus stages, etc) viddi?
Please wait a bit, mate.
I´ll set up a dev thread or page as soon as possible.

@all:
Of course I appreciate your opinions and suggestions during the production process.
Old 27 April 2010, 08:38   #24
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy
Some times the only way to get something done is to do it yourself.
I've got to agree really.

Enthusiasm is a funny thing, either it's there and the work feels like play or it's not and nothing gets done.

Endlessly waiting for things to be done by others is the surest way to kill a project stone dead.

Therefore viddi, I say why worry about the money required for packaging the final product? If you want to make it and you're going to enjoy making it then go for it. If you get it to the stage where a playable level or two knocks everyone's socks off you'll have more than enough people queueing up ready to stump up a few quid to play the rest...

I wish you all the best with it.
Old 27 April 2010, 08:41   #25
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
Therefore viddi, I say why worry about the money required for packaging the final product? If you want to make it and you're going to enjoy making it then go for it. If you get it to the stage where a playable level or two knocks everyone's socks off you'll have more than enough people queueing up ready to stump up a few quid to play the rest...

I wish you all the best with it.

Thanks pmc.

Yes, I´ll do it anyway. With or without the package!
But it would be a cool add-on for sure.
Old 27 April 2010, 12:56   #26
1time
Amiga Lover

I would pay if it is a good game. And i would love to pay for it if it could make use of an FPU.
Old 27 April 2010, 14:29   #27
Asman

it will be horizontal or vertical shmup ?
Old 27 April 2010, 14:30   #28
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asman View Post
it will be horizontal or vertical shmup ?
Horizontal.
Old 27 April 2010, 15:09   #29
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1time View Post
And i would love to pay for it if it could make use of an FPU.
Semi-offtopic, but, care to explain why? Why should a Shoot'em Up use the FPU? For what?
Old 27 April 2010, 15:24   #30
pmc
gone

You know Stinger, I read that post just now and thought exactly the same thing...
Old 27 April 2010, 17:27   #31
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Akira, in an ideal world someone with ideas and enthusiasm could gather a talented team of artists, musicians, coders and designers and put some really quality games together for the Amiga.
A bunch of demoscene groups talk volumes against your theory, dear Cammy. in the real world someone with enough enthusiasm i able to gather a team of talented artists, musicians and coders and make a production. Even if it is a yearly thing (the group I just joined, mOOds plateau, produces maybe 2 or 3 things a year) it's still a process that works just well.

Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by viddi View Post
I´m very busy with "Blue Metal Rose" and this SEU project is for relaxing purposes.
I don´t want to communicate with a team, adhere to deadlines, check this and that...
This would be the opposite of having a rest, wouldn´t it?
No, that would be having compromise with the project and that shouldn't detract from having a project that frees up your mind from other things.

If you are wanting to make this game for a fee and release it to public (actually, you are already sort of announcing it), you have a compromise with people. If you want to do this on your spare time just to relax, you don't publicize it. Maybe when it's done you release it, but at this point? It makes no sense.

Maybe this is what Cammy refers to when it is impossible to finish a project with a bunch of people. People are just not willing to compromise, thinking that compromise takes the fun out of it. I strongly disagree with this view which is perhaps what has put the Amiga scene in the appalling state it is today And that is why I joined an ACTIVE Amiga demoscene group. At least we'll be doing stuff and keeping it real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Semi-offtopic, but, care to explain why? Why should a Shoot'em Up use the FPU? For what?
I guess someone wants to justify the expensive price he paid for an FPU? There's no reason I can think of where a shoot'em up would benefit from an FPU.
Old 27 April 2010, 17:35   #32
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
A bunch of demoscene groups talk volumes against your theory, dear Cammy. in the real world someone with enough enthusiasm i able to gather a team of talented artists, musicians and coders and make a production.
That's true Akira but less and less of those active Amiga demoscene groups exist unfortunately so I know what Cammy means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
Even if it is a yearly thing (the group I just joined, mOOds plateau, produces maybe 2 or 3 things a year) it's still a process that works just well.
Congrats on this man - looking forward to seeing / hearing your contributions to their stuff.

If you ever feel like moonlighting on the side and contributing to something I'm doing with or without other demosceners then shout.
Old 27 April 2010, 18:40   #33
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
No, that would be having compromise with the project and that shouldn't detract from having a project that frees up your mind from other things.

Look, I´m a team work "victim" (and I´m loving it ) because this is what I do all day long as a music producer / distributor and / or as a social worker.

It´s not a bad thing to be on your own for a couple of hours...

Quote:
If you are wanting to make this game for a fee and release it to public (actually, you are already sort of announcing it), you have a compromise with people.
I´m not announcing it, I´m asking a question.

Quote:
If you want to do this on your spare time just to relax, you don't publicize it. Maybe when it's done you release it, but at this point? It makes no sense.
Sorry, I don´t understand your point or to be more precise: it makes no sense.

I just want to find out if Amigans would buy a new playable and original Amiga game (I´m not talking about a masterpiece!).

I don´t want to make money out of it, I just want to provide a nice game in a professionally produced box.

Downloads aren´t everything, you know.
Even CPC users get new professionally produced games.
Old 27 April 2010, 18:51   #34
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I ticked "No", not for the reasons stated next to "No", but just because I wouldn't be likely to buy it.
Old 27 April 2010, 18:55   #35
Cammy

Akira, how do we enter this dimension you live in where people are still active with Amigas and produce results? I've been trying to get teams together to make games for ages yet I fail each time. I guess I'm not the right person for the job, so perhaps you can arrange some guys to make these game projects we've had sitting here for years. Also, please let us know where all these team effort Amiga games have been uploaded so we can play them! If it's so easy to get a group together and make Amiga games, surely there's been an active game scene all this time and perhaps we just missed it!
Old 27 April 2010, 21:03   #36
Photon

I'm unfamiliar with Backbone. If it's as good as the 'famous shooters' on one of my Amigas, why not?
Old 27 April 2010, 23:03   #37
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
I ticked "No", not for the reasons stated next to "No", but just because I wouldn't be likely to buy it.
Same here.
Old 28 April 2010, 01:26   #38
Cammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
I'm unfamiliar with Backbone. If it's as good as the 'famous shooters' on one of my Amigas, why not?
Here are a few games made by various people with Backbone. They might help give you an idea of the kind of games that can be produced with Backbone:

http://home.exetel.com.au/amiga/BackboneGames.lha

This older archive was made before Ambermoon Arcade and Cornelius Saves Christmas came out, which are two more recent Backbone games
Old 28 April 2010, 01:36   #39
ma693541
Computer Wizard

@viddi; The game you write could be paid by PayPal and it have to work on both A1200 3.1 with/without GFXCard and/or TurboCard, and of course on WinUAE.
Old 28 April 2010, 02:19   #40
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Have any of you Backbone guys tried the Reality game maker?

I like the main sprite on Statoscuro and HalloweenNightmare is cool.