English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: What keycaps are people purchasing?
As Orginal 16 37.21%
CD32 Special Edition 18 41.86%
All Black 10 23.26%
All White 1 2.33%
All Clear 0 0%
Clear Case / Black Keys 0 0%
Other 11 25.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 March 2019, 11:55   #21
roondar

Off topic perhaps, but are there still A1200 cases available in the original Commodore or Amiga Tech colour?
Old 11 March 2019, 12:00   #22
Megatron
Peace through tyranny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Off topic perhaps, but are there still A1200 cases available in the original Commodore or Amiga Tech colour?
Nah.. on-topic since these keycaps match the cases.

So there have been orders lodged in by our distribution partners so there will again be supply around the same time when these caps are being shipped. These are the White (Amiga Technology White), Black and Translucent ones.

I know some people like to have colored ones as well, but the partners like to play it safe as the MOQ for a color is 250 units (due to the high startup costs for a run)... but if enough people scream for say Dark Grey or Dark Blue.. they may order them.
Old 12 March 2019, 07:23   #23
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
Obviously we will use the same font as we used before and keep in mind we had to resurrect an old printing technology to get the same FEEL when you type. Commodore used a slight variation and I think we are fairly close to what you had..

Did I mention we are not Commodore?
I know you are not Commodore, but I am talking about some slight font inconsistency - for example Q vs O - they look like from different fonts in reality, while it was okay in mockup pics. If there is a way to check/adjust the font before the new batch will be printed, I suggest considering it to make the product perfect.

Last edited by Predseda; 12 March 2019 at 08:29.
Old 12 March 2019, 15:13   #24
Mick

I noticed with mine the Q key looks like it's a bolder font than the rest, other annoyances are the brown numpad key '+' symbol is placed a lot higher than normal and the '-'/underscore key has lines that are slanted and not perfectly horizontal (particularly the top line), the left bracket symbol looks a bit dodgy at the bottom as well. One of the brown left arrows looks not very horizontal as well.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist but I would hope all of these issues will be ironed out going forward. As it stands I feel like kippers mechanical keyboards are looking a lot more attractive assuming his choice of keycaps have a consistent/orderly print on them.

I've compiled a photo to show what I mean:

It could just be isolated to mine? but I'm not really happy with it. The high + symbol is more of a nitpick but the wonky labels is a manufacturing flaw for me.

Last edited by Mick; 12 March 2019 at 16:17.
Old 15 March 2019, 00:21   #25
Megatron
Peace through tyranny!

Dear Mick and Predseda,

I checked the CD32 keyboard I have here and I do not see these inconsistencies so I would like to make sure you are both happy with the end product. Having said so, I have forwarded this thread to Phil in Singapore to have a look at the process.

And please.. You should have reached out to us via e-mail we really take complaints seriously and we are by no means a "cash and run" company.. this is our passion.

To be continued...
Old 15 March 2019, 09:59   #26
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Dear Mick and Predseda,

I checked the CD32 keyboard I have here and I do not see these inconsistencies so I would like to make sure you are both happy with the end product. Having said so, I have forwarded this thread to Phil in Singapore to have a look at the process.

And please.. You should have reached out to us via e-mail we really take complaints seriously and we are by no means a "cash and run" company.. this is our passion.

To be continued...

Hi,

So I went ahead an pledged. Did you get my PM?
Old 15 March 2019, 22:54   #27
Megatron
Peace through tyranny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Hi,

So I went ahead an pledged. Did you get my PM?
- info exchanged...
Old 16 March 2019, 15:54   #28
idrougge

Quote:
Obviously we will use the same font as we used before and keep in mind we had to resurrect an old printing technology to get the same FEEL when you type. Commodore used a slight variation and I think we are fairly close to what you had..
Not all are equally sensitive to typography, but many long-time Amiga users have an instinctive feel for what their keyboard is "supposed to look like".

"Fairly close" is obviously not close enough – perhaps the choice to use a pre-made font instead of copying the original print is a bad choice?
Old 17 March 2019, 02:03   #29
mariovieira

@Megatron

Can you share some details about the carbon and black case? Is the carbon a film on top of the case or some kind of hydro dipping?

Just to understand if it’s prone to scratches or small dings and if it will age well.

Thanks!
Old 20 March 2019, 13:14   #30
sneckburger

Would AmigaKit be seeing any stock of the Keycaps anytime soon as they did the cases?
In fact I'm just putting together my A1200 this week with a white A1200.net case that I bought from them. Its a fantastic replica and I'm very pleased with it.
I'd like to get hold of the keycaps, but probably like many would sooner wait to buy them from a shop than back a campaign. Even if it means paying a bit more.
Old 20 March 2019, 16:24   #31
mariovieira

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneckburger View Post
Would AmigaKit be seeing any stock of the Keycaps anytime soon as they did the cases?
Seems unlikely:

Quote:
Cases we sell to the resellers.. allow them to make the profit instead of us with the intent to make sure these stores are kept alive and able to make a profit. This will keep the Amiga momentum going.

Keycaps we will manage ourselves and now is the time to put in your order since the injection molds are made. We only need to produce another batch of the color you want. If you want to wait for the 3rd IndieGoGo then sure, that is an option but the chances that this will happen any time soon is slim. We will not maintain stock either, this is custom to order.

Last edited by mariovieira; 20 March 2019 at 16:31.
Old 20 March 2019, 17:42   #32
nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I noticed with mine the Q key looks like it's a bolder font than the rest, other annoyances are the brown numpad key '+' symbol is placed a lot higher than normal and the '-'/underscore key has lines that are slanted and not perfectly horizontal (particularly the top line), the left bracket symbol looks a bit dodgy at the bottom as well. One of the brown left arrows looks not very horizontal as well.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist but I would hope all of these issues will be ironed out going forward. As it stands I feel like kippers mechanical keyboards are looking a lot more attractive assuming his choice of keycaps have a consistent/orderly print on them.

It could just be isolated to mine? but I'm not really happy with it. The high + symbol is more of a nitpick but the wonky labels is a manufacturing flaw for me.
looks like they still have that issue [ Show youtube player ]
look at the number 2 key
also many other keys not 1:1 same as original now looking closer

Last edited by nexus; 20 March 2019 at 18:45.
Old 20 March 2019, 19:29   #33
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
looks like they still have that issue [ Show youtube player ]
look at the number 2 key
also many other keys not 1:1 same as original now looking closer
Hopefully these issues will be fixed for the IndieGoGo run.
Old 20 March 2019, 20:38   #34
Phantomz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post

It not isolated to just yours, I've also had / have problems with mine too.

I noticed that there is some extra print on some of the keys, the main one's being on the " : ; " key and also on the " ) 0 ", and very slightly on the small Help key.

I informed them of this and received replacement keys for the " : ; " key and also on the " ) 0 " key.

However shortly after, I noticed a problem with my " left cursor black key " it appears to be printed wonky like yours.

I have informed them of this a couple of times by email, however I haven't had a response yet.

I have also noticed a small dot on my F key, I know these are only little things, but it's annoying knowing that they are there.
Old 20 March 2019, 20:55   #35
amenophis
A1200.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomz View Post

However shortly after, I noticed a problem with my " left cursor black key " it appears to be printed wonky like yours.

I have informed them of this a couple of times by email, however I haven't had a response yet.

Hi Phantomz,

I'm the one who answers ALL emails regarding issues.
I perfectly recall your first request.
But I haven't received any of the two extra emails you're referring to.

Send again with corresponding photos so that I can assess and see if replacement is needed.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards
Phil
Old 21 March 2019, 11:37   #36
sneckburger

Ok just backed. ID #848

Bit unsure about all this, never backed a campaign before.]
Alex
Old 21 March 2019, 15:19   #37
Phantomz

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenophis View Post
Hi Phantomz,

I'm the one who answers ALL emails regarding issues.
I perfectly recall your first request.
But I haven't received any of the two extra emails you're referring to.

Send again with corresponding photos so that I can assess and see if replacement is needed.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards
Phil

Hi Phil

Thanks for getting back to me on here, I know that you answers your emails and sort problems out as quick as possible.
I'm very happy with the level of support you give.

I had assumed you was busy and maybe hadn't had chance to get back to my emails, no idea why my emails never got through as my first ones did.

I'm very happy that you sent replacement keys out as soon as I informed you of the problems.

I will email you again as requested.

Keep up the good work.
Old 25 March 2019, 00:15   #38
Vlad

For giggles - here is my experience with mass produced key caps replacement from Logitech. I bought G910 Orion Spark, some time later they introduced G910 Orion Spectrum with smooth keycaps (instead of faceted on Spark, otherwise identical keyboard) and also offered a replacement key caps package with smooth caps for Spark owners.

- I ordered the smooth replacement keys online from logitech directly and one of them was bad, wrong size of the cap. Support told me they have to send another full set, they can't just send me one of them. Whatever.
- The replacement replacement keycaps arrived (full set), and they're the faceted version from the Spark, not the smooth ones from Spectrum that I ordered.
- Contacting support again. Via chat, to avoid any confusion. They will get back to me.
- After a month of silence I contacted them again, via chat, was informed that the replacement was 'approved' and I should get them quickly.
- Package arrives, and this time it is full blown new-in-box complete G910 keyboard. Of course - Orion Spark. At this point I gave up, I just left the two faceted keys - the wrong one was [ key so matched it with faceted ]

TLDR - needed one keycap replaced on Logitech keyboard, got one full set and one complete keyboard with wrong keycap shapes.

Going back on subject - are all Amiga Mitsumi key caps the same? Some time ago I got "key bases" from Vesalia and the stems look like the ones I have in my Amiga keyboards but actually are a little wider and the original keycap is loose in it, you can't press the cap into stem.
Old 25 March 2019, 11:17   #39
Megatron
Peace through tyranny!

Sorry, I am not here every day. I can see Phil already answered some.

Just a quick response to your questions;

- I do not see (for now that is) any keycaps being shipped to resellers/partners
- The issues are not issues. These are variances which have been addressed in Run #2
- Yes, 9/11 and JFK were an inside job
- Issues with keys? Please, let us know via email and we take care of it.
- Non-Commodore/Amiga font we considered but it looks odd and alienates most of us.
- The Carbon Case as well as the checkered flag are Hydro dipped cases.
- Hydrodip is permanent. Good look scratching that off (you need a blowtorch!)
- The CD32 case and keycaps are solid colors (no dip)

Hope this helps :-)
Old 28 March 2019, 15:23   #40
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Going back on subject - are all Amiga Mitsumi key caps the same? Some time ago I got "key bases" from Vesalia and the stems look like the ones I have in my Amiga keyboards but actually are a little wider and the original keycap is loose in it, you can't press the cap into stem.
There are two styles. Ones with a flat topped stem and others with the square opening inside a circular recess. Older A2000/3000/4000 keyboards have the style where the stem is flat topped, wedge amigas (a500/600/1200) always had the one with the recessed stems.

As you found out, the keycaps are not fully interchangeable between these two styles of stem, but if you have the wedge amiga style caps, you can swap all of the stems from a wedge amiga or even PC mitsumi keyboard, for example, and use the caps you have.

Wedge Amiga style:
http://jope.fi/amiga/amikbd/mitsumistem.jpg
http://jope.fi/amiga/amikbd/mitsumispring.jpg

Older big box style:
http://jope.fi/amiga/amikbd/mitsumicup.jpg