English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 06 December 2022, 16:00   #21
tero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Actually your Menu other than the famous application named T.H.E.
I used T.H.E. a few years back but it needs some stuff installed that i don't want on my system (i.e. Awnpipe). I dropped it ages ago.
There is no need to have an overengineered program just to create/modifiy a script file.
My menu was originally created by THE but I changed it each time i did a new install of my system.
I don't use tools to edit the menu anymore because it's easier and faster to change the menu in a texteditor.
I still use some of the arexx scripts that came with THE though.

Last edited by tero; 06 December 2022 at 16:06.
Old 06 December 2022, 17:12   #22
EctoOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
It does, but sometimes it is nice to have a little extra commands or features so you might still have uses forr CLIcon.
I actually do have a use for the WBLoad version from CLICon. It has a WAIT argument, so I can detect when the launched program was terminated. It's great for DirOpus and its function to swap screens. I used WBRun before and I had to manually switch them when I launched an external program.

Anyway does this arexx menu support selected items as arguments? I'm using ToolsDaemon which allows me to set something like this as path for a menu entry:
Code:
SYS:Utilities/Multiview []
When I have selected a file on the Workbench and then pick such an entry from the menu, the selected file will be opened directly. That makes it very easy to open files in almost any program without needing to start the program first and then open the file.
Old 06 December 2022, 17:49   #23
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
Theres an older thread on this topic, https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=11
I can confirm that this works beautifully also. Does the same as the arexx win script. Good to have options.

Is it worth adding MagicMenu for right click menu capability? Anyone else use this in conjunction with Menutools?

Last edited by rabidgerry; 06 December 2022 at 18:00.
Old 06 December 2022, 18:18   #24
tero

Quote:
Originally Posted by EctoOne View Post
Anyway does this arexx menu support selected items as arguments? I'm using ToolsDaemon which allows me to set something like this as path for a menu entry:
Code:
SYS:Utilities/Multiview []
When I have selected a file on the Workbench and then pick such an entry from the menu, the selected file will be opened directly. That makes it very easy to open files in almost any program without needing to start the program first and then open the file.
I wrote a small script to do this. in the menu-script it looks like this:
Code:
MENU ADD NAME '"actionmultiview"' TITLE '"\Open with\Multiview"' CMD "rexx:runwith.rexx multiview"
The script opens all selected files in the given program. But only one at a time. Close Multiview to open the next file.
RunWith.rexx.txt

Quote:
Is it worth adding MagicMenu for right click menu capability? Anyone else use this in conjunction with Menutools?
I use it sometimes. It comes down to personal preferences. If you like to open the menu at the cursor it's definitely worth it.

Last edited by tero; 06 December 2022 at 18:35.
Old 06 December 2022, 23:31   #25
EctoOne

Quote:
I do like the popup menus, especially with the option to directly open files. It's almost like having a context menu without the need for DirOpus5 or Scalos.

And I also need to have sticky menus, because holding right click on uae4arm/android opens the config screen. For instances where I don't need all features from MagicMenu, I either use ClickForMenu or StickyRMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tero View Post
I wrote a small script to do this. in the menu-script it looks like this:
Code:
MENU ADD NAME '"actionmultiview"' TITLE '"\Open with\Multiview"' CMD "rexx:runwith.rexx multiview"
The script opens all selected files in the given program. But only one at a time. Close Multiview to open the next file.
Nice, I actually might look into switching from ToolsDaemon to just ARexx.
Old 07 December 2022, 19:16   #26
rabidgerry

attached another example of how I've modified my menutools so far, might someone else in same boat I was on.

Massive thanks to EctoOne
Attached Files
File Type: lha MenuToolsGerry.lha (4.5 KB, 77 views)
Old 07 December 2022, 22:33   #27
EctoOne

Quote:
Massive thanks to EctoOne
Why thank me? tero was the one with the extensive examples.

If I ever decide to switch from ToolsDaemon, I probably will use WBLoad or any alternative tool to start programs that have an icon. ToolsDaemon has the WB/CLI modes for a reason. And I'm certainly not going to write down all arguments when I can utilize tooltypes.
Old 08 December 2022, 22:12   #28
rabidgerry

Quote:
Why thank me? tero was the one with the extensive examples.

If I ever decide to switch from ToolsDaemon, I probably will use WBLoad or any alternative tool to start programs that have an icon. ToolsDaemon has the WB/CLI modes for a reason. And I'm certainly not going to write down all arguments when I can utilize tooltypes.

Apologies the man I meant to thank was @tero

Sorry EctoOne I must have been thinking of you when I went to say thanks, I'm a Ghostbusters fan you see so that name stuck in my head
Old 31 March 2023, 14:30   #29
rabidgerry

I'm trying to create an item in one of my menus to open the ed startup-sequence.

I basically copied what I had done to open menu tools from a menu item which was, create a script to open menu tools, the in menutools iteself, add a line that created it as an item in my menus. Worked fine for that, but trying to get it to do the same thing for ed startup-sequence gives me this arithmetic conversion error when I boot up. Anyone any ideas?

uploaded my MENUTOOLS Script as an example
Attached Files
File Type: rar MenuTools.rar (4.6 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by rabidgerry; 31 March 2023 at 14:42. Reason: attached my menutools script
Old 31 March 2023, 15:40   #30
daxb

Code:
MENU ADD NAME MenuStartup-Sequence TITLE '"\Scripts\Startup-Sequence"' CMD "'ADDRESS COMMAND ''QOpenWB dh0:System/edStartup-Sequence'''"
I don't know what "QOpenWB" is (opens the given directory on WB?), but it might be the wrong command here. I would try to replace it with the editor you want to use.

Btw. I see you are using JanoEditor. Don't try to open it twice. If so it will throw MuForce hits.
Old 31 March 2023, 18:32   #31
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Code:
MENU ADD NAME MenuStartup-Sequence TITLE '"\Scripts\Startup-Sequence"' CMD "'ADDRESS COMMAND ''QOpenWB dh0:System/edStartup-Sequence'''"
I don't know what "QOpenWB" is (opens the given directory on WB?), but it might be the wrong command here. I would try to replace it with the editor you want to use.

Btw. I see you are using JanoEditor. Don't try to open it twice. If so it will throw MuForce hits.

QOpenWB

http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/QOpenWB

Well that command opens my MenuTools script so I tried to use it again. I've tried so many different commands. I tried the rexx:win also. But no luck.

I did modify it also to just directly open the startup-sequence without using a separate script like this ed s:startup-sequence but that didn't work either.

May be execute witll run the script? I'm going to try that.
Old 31 March 2023, 18:55   #32
rabidgerry

Ok so it opens with QOpenWB and also EXECUTE and rexx:win commands. The problem was in the menu note title before the actual title of the menu item "startup-sequence" there is a "-".

Remove the - and no more crazy arithmetic error!
Old 31 March 2023, 23:19   #33
desiv

So, I am guessing I don't understand a few more things related to this. (not a surprise ;-)

I was working with this with mixed results.
Added Shell (CLI) to my Tools menu. Added a Start menu (with examples from this thread) and placed a few programs there... All good.
Then I tried to add DirectoryOpus4 to my Tools menu, and started having mixed luck...

It appeared that the first time I chose it, it didn't work. But the second time, it did...

Double, triple, etc checked my config and it was exactly the same as the one for CLI.

Then, when googling, I saw a config that used C:WBLoad to launch the program.
So I changed it from just
A-Programs:DirOpus4/DirectoryOpus
to
C:WBLoad A-Programs:DirOpus4/DirectoryOpus

And that seems to have fixed it... Which is good...

But I'm not sure why... ;-) I haven't used WBLoad on any of the others?
Should I? Is there a way for me to know when to use it (other than try it without, and if it is quirky or doesn't work, then use it)?

Thanx
Old 01 April 2023, 15:34   #34
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
So, I am guessing I don't understand a few more things related to this. (not a surprise ;-)

I was working with this with mixed results.
Added Shell (CLI) to my Tools menu. Added a Start menu (with examples from this thread) and placed a few programs there... All good.
Then I tried to add DirectoryOpus4 to my Tools menu, and started having mixed luck...

It appeared that the first time I chose it, it didn't work. But the second time, it did...

Double, triple, etc checked my config and it was exactly the same as the one for CLI.

Then, when googling, I saw a config that used C:WBLoad to launch the program.
So I changed it from just
A-Programs:DirOpus4/DirectoryOpus
to
C:WBLoad A-Programs:DirOpus4/DirectoryOpus

And that seems to have fixed it... Which is good...

But I'm not sure why... ;-) I haven't used WBLoad on any of the others?
Should I? Is there a way for me to know when to use it (other than try it without, and if it is quirky or doesn't work, then use it)?

Thanx
Personally, use it if it works.

I attached my menutools script above, take a copy of that and look through it unless you have already done so. Also further back in this thread tero give me some gold for commands and when/what they are used for.

For my Dopus I get it to open using WBLoad.
Old 10 April 2023, 19:27   #35
rabidgerry

This could be a separate issue, then again it may not be, but does the "Help" menu item in MenuTools not need to open the help guide when I click on it?

I just noticed the other day selecting this does nothing for me. So then I wondered may be in all my customising of the MenuTools perhaps I have broken then path or something to where the Help Guide resides, so I did a test install today and the same thing happened, the brand new fresh, clean install menu item "Help" does not open the Help guide. Has anyone else experience this? I gather I can fix this issue by mapping to the Help guide location in Locale folder?
Old 11 April 2023, 08:38   #36
EctoOne

I think I've seen somewhere that you need to set the language in locale prefs for Help to work, but I can't remember where I've seen that so I'm not sure.

The only other thing I remember about a non working Help is from the FAQ, that you don't have the language files installed which are set in locale prefs.
Old 11 April 2023, 12:29   #37
rabidgerry

Quote:
I think I've seen somewhere that you need to set the language in locale prefs for Help to work, but I can't remember where I've seen that so I'm not sure.

The only other thing I remember about a non working Help is from the FAQ, that you don't have the language files installed which are set in locale prefs.
Wow! Well done, that was the answer. Help guide now opening as expected from the shortcut. Thanks again
Old 27 April 2023, 02:04   #38
EctoOne

I just found this http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/runargs
Apparently this brings ToolsDaemon functions into the AREXX menu. Like passing selected files with [] which I asked for before.
I haven't tried it myself yet because I actually hate creating menus without an real editor and I don't really want to install T.H.E. But maybe I do that on a separate installation.
Maybe the script can be edited to use WB3.2s WBLoad instead of WBRun, so all the extra files won't be needed.
Old 27 April 2023, 07:55   #39
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Yes but you still loose the ToolsDaemon functionality of being able to execute more than 1 line of command per menu entry.
RunArgs was brought up in the past (in the OS3.2 thread) along with some other tool that could parse the Arexx menu script into ToolsPrefs2 (which is easier than writing code).

Just waiting for a native easy choice of messing with the Arexx script or else ToolsDaemon's ease of use can't be beaten and doesn't create a single problem after so many years...!
Old 27 April 2023, 18:44   #40
EctoOne

I don't think I never needed more than one command, so for me that wouldn't be an issue. But I'm with you on that there should be a better editor for the arexx script.
Also I couldn't get runargs to work last night. It was always asking for a SYSTEM device. I don't really care anymore, I'll stick with ToolsDaemon.