English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 July 2023, 07:41   #21
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
Gameplay footage from TF1260, both 100MHz and 50MHz.
[ Show youtube player ]
Feature wishlist: Inverted Y-axis, and customized keyboard controls, as WASD doesn't work well using left mouse hand.
Thanks for the video! All of this can be done, it just needs a configuration program. I see you've already figured it out via hex editing, I wonder why Luscious chose a binary file for the controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by By7eX View Post
Just wanted to say it works great! No silly AHI mode fiddling required, it just works out of the box for me W/ TF1260@62MHz. Bought the GOG version, like $4, and copied the files needed from there. I got hopelessly lost in level 3 (the sewers) but that's not your fault. I hope it saved my progress, couldn't find any save game option. I assume it saves between levels.

Really good game, this. Love the "CGI" cutscenes with full speech. Confusing level layouts, but give it some time and you'll be totally immersed.
Also thought I'd mention that the midi_instruments improved the Adoom1 and 2 music A LOT, so there's that aswell.

Thanks BSZili, never thought I'd see this game ported and working flawlessly.

I googled the keys for the pc game, and this is mostly correct for this too, except crouch is CTRL not C;
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=256062464
Anoat City is the level that stumps most people. Here's a hint without spoiling much: the goal is to raise the water level in the circular room behind Door #2, which requires 3 switches.
TFE added quicksaves, but they are not usable in their current state. I might fix them up later, but the game is designed around checkpoints and lives.
There are plenty of issues still, but it's good enough for public testing.
Old 24 July 2023, 08:44   #22
Jacques

To play Dark Forces on Amiga is my long-time dream coming true It plays incredibly well on 060, too. Thanks (again)
Old 24 July 2023, 09:40   #23
Seiya

i cannot access to your link BSzili. Browser flash every time i click on it.

edit: well, i downloaded with copy & paste. not a real problem.

in anyway, thanks for this great porting.
Old 24 July 2023, 09:43   #24
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
i cannot access to your link BSzili. Browser flash every time i click on it.
I've uploaded the two files to the zone.
Old 24 July 2023, 09:47   #25
Seiya

thanks @TCD
Old 24 July 2023, 10:13   #26
Silverstreak

This is great news, so happy to this running on our machine.
Old 24 July 2023, 10:43   #27
edd_jedi

Amazing, looking forward to checking this out!
Old 24 July 2023, 10:55   #28
Ponki1986

Tested under WinUAE. Everything works very well, only I can't get MIDI to work. I changed the setting to use CAMD but it doesn't work. Do you still need SoundFont? MIDI_Instruments is of course in the game directory.
Old 24 July 2023, 11:07   #29
Aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponki1986 View Post
Tested under WinUAE. Everything works very well, only I can't get MIDI to work. I changed the setting to use CAMD but it doesn't work. Do you still need SoundFont? MIDI_Instruments is of course in the game directory.
CAMD doesn't use MIDI_Instruments, it controls a real MIDI device via serial port. In WinUAE it can be connected on IO Ports settings page.
Old 24 July 2023, 11:39   #30
Seiya

for high resolution i think using Mac version files. But i don't know if it works.
Old 24 July 2023, 11:41   #31
Seiya

in Winuae, when you enable midi from IO Ports, if you have CAMD.library in Libs, not needed "midi instruments". you have all sounds and musics available

Last edited by Seiya; 24 July 2023 at 11:47.
Old 24 July 2023, 12:04   #32
Ponki1986

Sorry, I think I worded it a bit wrong. I wanted to say that I don't play MIDI at all. I have a MIDI Instruments file but nothing plays with default settings. After changing midiType to 0 there is also no sound. Of course I have the CAMD library and the drivers in Devs:MIDI. Maybe I have the wrong version of the game, because I found some 1.0.4 online. SnoopDOS showed that upon launch, the game looked for lots of files with the extension .voc, .bm, and many more. But generally the game starts normally.
Old 24 July 2023, 12:18   #33
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
for high resolution i think using Mac version files. But i don't know if it works.
It won't work, only the PC DOS version is supported.

Quote:
Sorry, I think I worded it a bit wrong. I wanted to say that I don't play MIDI at all. I have a MIDI Instruments file but nothing plays with default settings. After changing midiType to 0 there is also no sound. Of course I have the CAMD library and the drivers in Devs:MIDI. Maybe I have the wrong version of the game, because I found some 1.0.4 online. SnoopDOS showed that upon launch, the game looked for lots of files with the extension .voc, .bm, and many more. But generally the game starts normally.
That's normal, the game will look for files in the file system before going for the GOB / LFD files. Change midiType=2 for the built in synth, that's the default value. I'll add this to the readme.
Old 24 July 2023, 12:23   #34
Seiya

i understood.
Dark Forces working also without music, but if you want to listen to:

if you have real Amiga, i think you need midi hardware interface.
if you have emulator you need only: AHI, Camd.library and midi enabled in IO Port (midi-mapper).

The Dark forces version is not a problem, becuase i have 1.0 and working good with sounds and music
Old 24 July 2023, 12:40   #35
rabidgerry

Jesus I need to get in on this action! I'll be downloading later and trying out with my TF1260 also. Seems like a really good frame rate using it at 100mhz.
Old 24 July 2023, 13:14   #36
Ponki1986

I changed midiType to 2 and to 0 but still nothing. Does the game using CAMD directly send data to 0ut.0? Because I use a newer library and driver uae.out.0 or alternatively mmp.out.0. Other games that use CAMD have no problem with this.
Old 24 July 2023, 13:15   #37
VincentGR

Simply amazing!!!
Old 24 July 2023, 13:40   #38
Ponki1986

Quote:
i understood.
Dark Forces working also without music, but if you want to listen to:

if you have real Amiga, i think you need midi hardware interface.
if you have emulator you need only: AHI, Camd.library and midi enabled in IO Port (midi-mapper).

The Dark forces version is not a problem, becuase i have 1.0 and working good with sounds and music
Can you share your version with me?
Old 24 July 2023, 13:44   #39
Seiya

Quote:
I changed midiType to 2 and to 0 but still nothing. Does the game using CAMD directly send data to 0ut.0? Because I use a newer library and driver uae.out.0 or alternatively mmp.out.0. Other games that use CAMD have no problem with this.
MidiType should be "-1"

"Win32.midiout_device=-1"
Old 24 July 2023, 13:50   #40
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
It won't work, only the PC DOS version is supported.

That's normal, the game will look for files in the file system before going for the GOB / LFD files. Change midiType=2 for the built in synth, that's the default value. I'll add this to the readme.
It would be nice to get the music as a largue sample for more than 16MB fast RAM, first, because we can save some CPU speed for the game and second, the music can sound much better than the real time AHI mixing.

I would recommend a 8bit stereo iff files for the musics, streaming from fast to chip ram. I have a PiStorm, like most people, I got plenty of fast ram.