English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 April 2003, 21:33   #21
rattus

Quote:
Originally posted by CHiEF

Anyway, surely the GBA game you should all be eagerly awaiting the most is SWOS !! (PLUG PLUG PLUG PLUG!)

at your fingertips!
hey, we all love shameless plugs!
Old 27 April 2003, 18:11   #22
SabreGolly

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
Theres also a GBA game featuring a mix of the tables from both Pinball Dreams and Fantasies although i dont know what its called.
It was released for the GBA, by Ubisoft, in the UK in June 2002 as 'Pinball Challenge Deluxe' and has all eight tables from Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies.

The crap display on the original GBA put me off buying many games for it, but when I got an SP, I tried to get this game. I have tried loads of places to get it, but everywhere is out of stock, and the game seems to have been removed from Ubisoft's website.

This has turned into a bit of a quest for me. I MUST HAVE THESE GAMES ON MY GBA. HMV.co.uk promised it would be delivered in seven days, but I have now waited 3 weeks, and after contacting them about it, they say that their suppliers have no stock and are waiting for more from the manufacturer.

If anyone sees this in a bargain bin anywhere in the UK, PLEASE TELL ME! - I'm willing to travel! I've also seen it advertised for sale on commercial websites located in Austrailia and mainland Europe, but I am less happy ordering online from them, especially where the terms and conditions are in French or German - and they might give me the runaround like the UK companies.

Please help - I need this for my holidays!
Old 28 April 2003, 00:56   #23
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Pinball Challenge Deluxe

Looks like it's not manufactured any more as no one has it in stock. This looks like it could be a GBA rarity. This would really be something cool to own. All the tables from Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies on one cartridge!!

Pinball Challenge Deluxe by Ubisoft isn't even mentioned on Pocket IGN.

Thanks for the info SabreGolly!
Old 28 April 2003, 04:13   #24
Amiga1992

If you own a GP32, you can have Pinball Dreams for it!

http://www.entware.com/joyGP/game/ga...No=9&genre=ETC

I BET this is not a licensed port, though
Old 28 April 2003, 23:25   #25
SabreGolly

I think I may try one of the non UK outfits. At least if they haven't got any, I'll be able to understand the e-mails! I assume that there is no regional encoding on the GBA - does anyone know otherwise?.

On one website they had screenshots -and they looked exactly the same is the amiga version, not like the old GB version (which I still have and play!) of pinball dreams (3 tables - no 'beatbox', no ramps - 'ignition' the only table even remotely like the original - but still fantastic handheld fun!).

I'm so close, and yet, so far...

Last edited by SabreGolly; 29 April 2003 at 00:11.
Old 29 April 2003, 01:01   #26
rattus

0496 - Pinball Challenge Deluxe (E)

here is the menu screen:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	496a.png
Views:	649
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	5064  
Old 29 April 2003, 01:03   #27
rattus

0496 - Pinball Challenge Deluxe (E)

and here is an in-game screenshot of the Ignition table:

This game was released in Europe only but don't worry as the GBA has no regional encoding

EDIT: I have now played this game and it is basicaly all the tables from Pinball Dreams and Fantasies rolled into one cartridge. It's a little strange to play at first as the screen has to scroll left and right as well as up and down. But once you get use to that it is very addictive. And get this....*includes the original music*!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	496b.png
Views:	674
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	5065  
Old 29 April 2003, 18:56   #28
SabreGolly

Re: 0496 - Pinball Challenge Deluxe (E)

Quote:
Originally posted by rattus

EDIT: I have now played this game and it is basicaly all the tables from Pinball Dreams and Fantasies rolled into one cartridge.
Hello Rattus...

Where did you get it?!!! Is it running on an emulator, or is it the real thing? Have you had it long?

Must know - must find out.... MUST have THIS GAME!!!
Old 29 April 2003, 19:21   #29
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Re: Re: 0496 - Pinball Challenge Deluxe (E)

Quote:
Originally posted by SabreGolly
Hello Rattus...

Where did you get it?!!! Is it running on an emulator, or is it the real thing? Have you had it long?

Must know - must find out.... MUST have THIS GAME!!!
"0496 - Pinball Challenge Deluxe (E)"

Calm down. She has obviously downloaded the ROM image as you can tell from the name information! It's easy to get hold of.

Last edited by Steve; 29 April 2003 at 19:34.
Old 29 April 2003, 20:39   #30
rattus

Yup, until I get a mac-compatible flash-linker I will have to play this thru emulation
Old 29 April 2003, 22:34   #31
SabreGolly

Never noticed that! Sorry...

Oh well, I will continue my quest...
Old 29 April 2003, 23:23   #32
rattus

That s the spirit, never give up!

Only a few days ago I found an ultra-rare 2nd hand copy of R-Type Delta in my local stores bargain bin...I was really chuffed
Old 30 April 2003, 23:03   #33
SabreGolly

R-Type Delta? Do you mean the PSX version (were there any others?) - I've got that... didn't know it was rare! Learn something new everyday.

Will swap for Pinball Challenge Deluxe on GBA...!

(God loves a try-er!)
Old 30 April 2003, 23:30   #34
rattus

yeah I was talking about the PSX version...

But really SabreGolly, have you considered getting yourself a flashlinker for your GBA? no more paying stupid prices for games, no more hunting for rare titles....Think about it
Old 01 May 2003, 01:05   #35
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally posted by rattus
But really SabreGolly, have you considered getting yourself a flashlinker for your GBA? no more paying stupid prices for games, no more hunting for rare titles....Think about it
Nothing beats owning the original box and cartridge.
Old 01 May 2003, 20:57   #36
rattus

not even with all the nifty GBA demos and freeeeeeeware floating around?

ah go on!

and btw you can get boxart scans from your friendly local gbascene portal
Old 02 May 2003, 01:31   #37
SabreGolly

Hi Rattus!

Quote:
But really SabreGolly, have you considered getting yourself a flashlinker for your GBA?
I have actually been looking at the possibility. My interest was first raised when I saw that you could get a ZXspectrum emulator for the GBA. The thought of playing some of these old classics on a handheld device made me drool!

I bought a Casio E115 pocket PC a few years ago (just after the new op system came out) - one of the reasons being that you could get a speccy emulator for it. Fatal mistake - trusting micr***ft to support it, and thinking that this brand new model wouldn't go out of date for at least 6 months (I think it lasted about 4 before most new game releases supported the Intel/Compaq/Micr***ft cartel models only)... Never mind - as i've said before - I will not make that mistake again.

What other goodies are available for the GBA thru a flash card? As Steve says - nothing beats owning the original carts and box - but is there any other interesting stuff? Has anyone tried one of the spectrum emulators - do they run at a reasonable speed, and can you access the full speccy keyboard (albeit a hassle I'd imagine!) with it? I've seen an operating system - can you get apps that display jpegs or mpeg/quicktime video? Now that would be cool!

Seen flash linkers on sale over the net - bit worried about ordering what essentially could be a rather dodgy (legally) bit of kit in this way...

Last edited by SabreGolly; 02 May 2003 at 01:41.
Old 02 May 2003, 11:09   #38
SabreGolly

Did some google based research into the flash linker - they don't tell you much, do they?

I said there was an operating system - pogoshell - have you tried this - is it anything more than a glorified program starter?
Old 02 May 2003, 12:58   #39
ant512

About Pinball Dreams - the company that made the conversion went bust, so I don't think it'll ever be available again.
Old 02 May 2003, 13:15   #40
rattus

what you can do with a flashlinker:

-demos: funky eyecandy/music demos very similar to the amiga/atari demos of yore my favorite is STSoundAdvance ( http://leonard.oxg.free.fr/GBA/stsa/stsa.html )

-freeware: actual games that people have made themselves, sometimes completely new comercial-quality ideas. Others are ports of classic games. My favorites are BustAMoveGBA ( http://www.russprince.com/gba/ ) and Dangerous Xmas ( http://spoutnick.free.fr/ST/viewgames.php3?id=2 )

-emulators: some nutters have programmed emulators for the gba! however do NOT expect either SNES or Megadrive emulation as the GBA is too weak but yes there are Spectrum, NES and even a C64 emu in the works - for more info please visit www.gbaemu.com and I'll see you on the forums but if it's purely emulators you are after I suggest you invest in a GP32!

-pogoshell: tis basically a fancy front end for your gba but it does other stuff also. Compresses saves so you can have more on the cart at once and it also handles execution of files via "plugins" i.e you open a .nes file and the pocketnes plugin will take care of it. Lots of other stuff I'm sure but since I'm not an expert may I direct you to the many pogoshell guides listed here: http://www.emuboards.com/cgi-bin/iko...ST;f=13;t=2067

whew...next I will do a rundown of the current linkers on the market if you want