English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 May 2006, 12:46   #21
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slideyfoot
I'd be one of those suckers.

$4 got me access to as many downloads from there as I wanted (although I only wanted two), and the guy who runs it seems very helpful. When I emailed with a problem, he straight away sent back a long list of instructions, and promptly extended my download period from 1 to 4 days.

<snip boring rant>.
planetemu.net is free and prolly has MORE stuff on it....

Sad that you support cunts (excuse my language) like this... Making PROFIT out of the Amiga.. basically raping the remnants of a dead machine and a few users who don't know better!!!!!

jesus you could send off for a DVD full of amiga stuff for about $10 (google) and that'd get you literally thousands of adf's.. and I don't condone that either but it is better than what that pillock is offering (Should be free eexcept for materials/postage costs!!!!)

/rant over
Old 05 May 2006, 12:55   #22
woody57

Unhappy I am really sorry for you slideyfoot

You seem to have tried to justify this site's existance

While it is entirely understandable that fellow mod Bippym is less than pleased with your ignorant & stupid comments about supporting commercial piracey

I fail to understand your stance ? even if you are playing Devils advocate

In supporting this kind of paracitic & blatant commercial raping of both free & license resources you put yourself in danger of being considered a cretien unless you can justify your comments.

However I do not know how long this thread thread can stay open without it becoming a very personal FLAMER unless you RETRACT or EXPLAIN !

Last edited by woody57; 05 May 2006 at 13:02.
Old 05 May 2006, 13:04   #23
BippyM
Global Moderator

Think i'll explain why I felt the need to go off on one in my previous post above (oh and this rant will be longer!!)

There are a LOT of members on here who do A LOT of work for the amiga community.. You have the likes of dlfrsilver and the wolf and others who hunt down and try (at their OWN cost in some instances) to get abandoned/unreleased games out to all of us.

There are the APoV (Cody, Blackcornflake) team who write a magazine (bi-half yearly atm) and and HOL guys (Cody, Andreas, Codetapper and more) who keep the biggest amiga game database there is UP TO DATE.

Lets not forget the Amiga tosec guys.. [Idoru], DamienD, Adderly etc who sit for hours testing, renaming, identifying adf's so that we can see what has been released, who it was by etc..

Then there are the winuae frontends (Gamebase by Belgarath and Lemonade by the Lemon Amiga forum). Again users who sit for hours, writing interfaces, testing games etc.. to make YOUR amiga gaming simpler and more intuitive..

Also there is Toni Wilen and all the previous programmers of undeniably the BEST Amiga emulator bar-none.. who spends his OWN free time writing, bug fixing and implementing many new features into WinUAE.

Then there are the ready made workbench guys.. Amikit and bloodwychs own replacement ClassicWB

There are also the WHDLoad guys who write game installs for all those classics and expect NOTHING in return.. there is also Killergorilla who takes SPS images and creates WHDLoad installed games which is then hosted by another member (more below) so the average joe can get them for FREE

Oh lets also not forget the SPS guys who have invested a lot of time/money into properly opreserving original amiga games in their ORIGINAL state.
Let us also not forget RCK who provides us with the Abime.net network at HIS cost.. he hosts many projects on his servers.. Let us also not forget Woody57 who also hosts a lot of projects on his deadwood inc network.

oh and if you are thinking what the hell does Bippy do for the community well here is a list of projects I'm involved/have been involved in..

Flashback DemoDVD
Active tosec renamer (I supplied over 1000 renamed adf's for the next update)
APoV reviewer (inactive atm)
HOL contributer
Working (very part time) on the new Hardware DB to compliment HOL
Gambase and Lemonade beta tester
WinUAE beta tester
EAB Moderator (Believe me I read near enough every post regardless of how much I think the content is crap!!)

I have also posted DVDs to various members for FREE (I actually have a pile here I am posting to argentina this week)

what have all these people got in common (other than Amiga)???? they ALL DO IT FOR FREE

There are many, many other projects going on around the world too

so please.. don't line the pockets of some wanker who thinks he is providing you with a service.... save your money and look harder.. what you want can usually be found from here in some way or another.. Also if you are interested get involved with the many projects that are up and running..

Last edited by BippyM; 05 May 2006 at 13:10.
Old 05 May 2006, 13:11   #24
woody57

slideyfoot

I advise you you READ & CONSIDER
THE ABOVE FACTS FROM BIPPYM BEFORE YOU ANSWER !

THE ABOVE IS THE TRUTH

WELL PUT Bippym
Old 05 May 2006, 13:40   #25
snarkhunter

I do agree with bippym. And I mean 100% ! Ever since I discovered this forum and registered, I could experience how kind and helpful people here actually are. The only Amiga-related stuff I was "ready-able-and-willing" to pay for was the "Amiga Forever" package. Because it's the only one that is available from a genuine "legal owner". Any other site that bills people for the downloading of copyrighted stuff should be sued. This is a fact.

Because of the above, I myself feel committed to helping anyone I may ever be able to help. For free. I'm nothing more than a "former user/still lover" of the Amiga, and I still feel grateful to the amazing people who dreamt and created it. If new Amiga software were still available for sale nowadays, I guess I would still buy some.

And I also feel grateful to the people who keep this forum up and running, which includes the fair state of mind that goes along with it. Thank you so much, guys !

sh
Old 05 May 2006, 13:41   #26
slideyfoot
Artemis BJJ

Main reasons I downloaded from there are laziness and inexperience; they had the adfs I wanted, which as I mentioned I hadn't been able to find before. However, as the above posts show, clearly I didn't look anywhere near hard enough.
Old 05 May 2006, 13:43   #27
viddi

Yep!
Support REAL Amiga-Fans with money if you want. THAT will help to keep Amiga alive.
Old 05 May 2006, 13:50   #28
BippyM
Global Moderator

We don't want any money for what we do.. (Occasionally maybe to cover p&p costs of various bits) but we do want support and that is all.

We DO want ppl to NOT SUPPORT idiots who charge for something that 99% of the time can be found for free.. His lame excuse that it is for bandwidth just grates... do you think if he made the money to cover his site costs in say the first 4-5 days of the month that he'll make the site free for the rest of the month????
Old 05 May 2006, 13:54   #29
snarkhunter

Oops ! I was telling lies, though not on purpose ! I did actually buy another package, i.e. "CrossDOS v.7" from "softhut.com" : it proved most helpful when transferring my own system to WinUAE, and I was quite happy to be able to support people who are still supporting the Amiga. To me, that's the very point : being fair to fair people.

Kind regards,
sh
Old 05 May 2006, 14:04   #30
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

RE: Bippym's post

F*ck me!! No.... don't answer that one, please.

I wholeheartedly agree - if I had the time I would certainly be contributing on a larger scale in some way or form to all the DEDICATED HARD WORK all you guys provide to keep the Amiga alive and all for FREE.

I think thats been along time coming, Bippym... and well said too.
Old 05 May 2006, 14:08   #31
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quahappy
RE: Bippym's post

F*ck me!! No.... don't answer that one, please.

I wholeheartedly agree - if I had the time I would certainly be contributing in any way or form to all the DEDICATED HARD WORK all you guys provide to keep the Amiga alive and all for FREE.

I think thats been along time coming, Bippym... and well said too.
Thanks.. I went off on one a little bit.. things like that get my goat!

But I'm sure all those involved in the many, many projects and other bits on here will agree with me too..

I forgot to mention the hardware guys who help out so much on here (thomas (Who lives in the harware forum I think) and alexh and the others who I can't remember)

oh and let us also give som kudos to andreas for his relentless searching for rare games and rare alts etc... and repairing damaged rarities where he can
Old 05 May 2006, 15:17   #32
Anubis
Retro Gamer

@BippyM - Why to worry if someone is charging for the stuff offered elsewere for free?

Just wait untill our german-amiga-magazine friend finds out that someone is charging for the programs he offers in his magazine, and he will work day/night to close that 'evil' place. And all of that will be of course for free, as he has nothing better to do in his life.

I already saw that site couple times, but never have downloaded anything from it. (You all know I'm cheap refugee )

And just let's finish with ol' Chinese proverb:

Without google, world would be such borring place to live in.
Old 05 May 2006, 15:32   #33
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
@bip
"WHERE I CAN" = where they are ADOS, that is
NDOS is custom (too custom for my taste, I'll leave that to this world's toad-capers and guys who name themselves "this is stupid!" in their native language etc. )
(Any similarity to real human beings is neither intended nor anticipated. )

To get this thread back apart from flame wars again, THIS statement from Toni had me bewildered a lot:
Quote:
Selling WinUAE is 100% legal. Check GPL license for more information.
Seems I really have to re-read the stuff again, as I seriously thought that you do violate GPL when you *sell* a GPL-licensed software.
*Parts* of GPL-code may be used under license, so far I know from Adobe, who use Trolltech's Qt stuff which IS under GPL but which requires a paid license if you plan to include the work inside a closed-source app.
Old 05 May 2006, 16:37   #34
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
@bip
"WHERE I CAN" = where they are ADOS, that is
either way.. what you are doing is still giving more than the idiot charging for downloading!!
Old 05 May 2006, 17:41   #35
andreas
Zone Friend

Oh, thanks a lot for putting my efforts in relation to those of that guy, very sensitive, yes really
As if to say: "Well, Jay Miner REALLY did quite a lot more for the Amiga than Gary Peake"

At least today, tactfulness is not your middle name, maybe blame the weather

Last edited by andreas; 05 May 2006 at 17:51.
Old 06 May 2006, 04:07   #36
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
Oh, thanks a lot for putting my efforts in relation to those of that guy, very sensitive, yes really
As if to say: "Well, Jay Miner REALLY did quite a lot more for the Amiga than Gary Peake"

At least today, tactfulness is not your middle name, maybe blame the weather
Today I have made many valid points regarding what members do on here..

The only person I see complaining is you and I don't know why!!!

You do A LOT for this community and your input/effort and everything else you do regardless is appreciated.. especially by myself.. I have never slagged or belitled you or questioned anything you have said regardless...

My reply in this thread wasn't to put you down, or big you up.. it was to show that there are a lot of members who put a lot of their own free time in projects for others and expect nothing in return except maybe the odd thanks.. and unless I am mistaken you are one of these people who would rather give to the amiga community rather than take from it...

Last edited by BippyM; 06 May 2006 at 04:13.
Old 06 May 2006, 08:50   #37
andreas
Zone Friend

Exclamation

Listen...

I tried to say it in a kind of funny fashion, but apparently this didn't work for ya...
Hell are you difficult these days...possibly over-worked??

You said this guy is an IDIOT, in cold print.

If you rate my efforts so high, it's almost an offense to COMPARE my efforts to those "efforts" of this money-grubbing guy!

If in Germany, you say "Kohl was a better politician than Hitler", you would most probably get very angry reactions, because those are WORLDS apart! AEONS! Common sense "dictates" they MUST NOT be compared!

To cut a long story short:
In this case, it's better to not make any comparison AT ALL than comparing apples to oranges!

It just was no sane relationship put up by you, that you did not comprehend this!

Last edited by andreas; 06 May 2006 at 09:00.
Old 06 May 2006, 10:26   #38
BippyM
Global Moderator

I'm not going to continue this.. we both have differing opinions here..

lets agree to disagree

thread closed