English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 27 November 2018, 20:41   #21
kolla
Banned

In the future that never was, I'm sure CBM would have gone PA-RISC and then probably Itanium, before going bankrupt, and we would be stuck with Itanium, lolz...
Old 27 November 2018, 20:44   #22
nexus

we already have amigas that are modern enough now
this community just kills all hopes which is absurd you have no idea what the future holds
Old 27 November 2018, 21:24   #23
boatofcar
Host of Amigos Podcast

That's what I'd like you to answer--what do you think the future holds for Amiga?
Old 27 November 2018, 21:31   #24
Paul_s

If someone can invent the Flux capacitor this will make time travel possible = we can escape Facebook and all the modern day nonsense and go back in time and purchase an Amiga 3000 whilst watching Baywatch with a young Pamela Anderson AKA the honeymoon period/golden age of computing.

The End.
Old 27 November 2018, 21:39   #25
nexus

everyone should escape the nightmare of social media
that itself is gonna be scary when we have embedded devices in our body connected to 24/7
i see that already happening soon
phones were just the beginning
here in USA some parents let schools embed devices in there kids already
crazy times

Last edited by nexus; 27 November 2018 at 21:48.
Old 27 November 2018, 23:55   #26
Dunny

Yes, that's all very nice and stuff, but would you kindly answer the question please?

What do you see happening that will bring the Amiga back to the masses, to the mainstream? How will AmigaOS topple the behemoth that is Microsoft and Windows? What amazing new Amiga system will bring the game developers back to the fold? How do you see the Amiga becoming the most used platform in Enterprise/Business use?

Believe me, I'm all for it, really I am but I just cannot for the life of me see how. The Vampire is a lovely piece of kit, but it's just too slow to compete against PCs as they are now. And I don't see anything else on the horizon, do you?
Old 28 November 2018, 00:15   #27
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Yes, that's all very nice and stuff, but would you kindly answer the question please?

What do you see happening that will bring the Amiga back to the masses, to the mainstream? How will AmigaOS topple the behemoth that is Microsoft and Windows? What amazing new Amiga system will bring the game developers back to the fold? How do you see the Amiga becoming the most used platform in Enterprise/Business use?

Believe me, I'm all for it, really I am but I just cannot for the life of me see how. The Vampire is a lovely piece of kit, but it's just too slow to compete against PCs as they are now. And I don't see anything else on the horizon, do you?
Absolutely right. The Amiga is in the past.... but it isn't coming back.... and I quite like that.

Don't get me wrong... I fucking hate the games they churn out today, only the other day you had some BBC news article rambling on about "addicted gamers" aka.. millennials who can't be arse to get a job but have the money for an xbox or games console.

Things are coming full circle... more kids than ever are seeing the fun in retro gaming.... business isa boom'in.

Geezer
Old 28 November 2018, 00:26   #28
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
For me everthing else than 68xxx isn't Amiga. But i guess that's a point NextGen fans like to ignore. It's something new. But no Amiga. Oh well. How many times we already had this pointless discussion anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Dude. It's very simple. The userbase of classic hardware/classic hardware emulator/FPA is probably 95%, NextGen 5%. So, the Amiga future lies in the past. This isn't rocket science. It's a retro computing hobby. Nothing else. The rest is special interest = a niche in a niche. Hardly a "Amiga" future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
No, Retro-Nerd is right. The Amiga is done, relegated to the past. It won't come back, not with AROS, not with Vampire, not with PPC. It's gone. All that remains is emulation for classic software.

How much new software has been written for AROS, and how much is already-existing Linux software that's been ported over from open-source?

Why would anyone use AROS rather then Linux? Why would any large amount of people use AROS instead of Windows? Why would MS abandon their flagship OS and create Word for it? Or Excel? Would Rockstar Games release Red Dead Redemption 2 for it? or GTA V? Valve are supporting Linux these days but they don't seem to have much of a roadmap for AROS.

Amiga is now a hobby and a retro-experience. We love it, but it will never come back - not ever. Not on x86, not on PPC nor on 68k.
I didn't want to even bother reading this thread as it's been done a million times before

Totally agree with everything Retro has said though.

Disagree all you like nexus and argue until you're blue in the face; the truth hurts sometimes...
Old 28 November 2018, 00:31   #29
nexus

you can disagree all you want doesnt make you correct
believe what you want still doesnt make you correct
truth what truth the future has not happened yet
you all are very shortsighted
so like said before it being dead to you is your world
not mine
Old 28 November 2018, 00:33   #30
DamienD
Banned

...and neither do you comments

Have fun with your "NextGen" crap; you are in the very small minority willing to spend a fortune... but I'll repeat what has already been said: it's not the future of Amiga.
Old 28 November 2018, 00:34   #31
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
you can disagree all you want doesnt make you correct
But realistic. This has to count for something.
Old 28 November 2018, 00:39   #32
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
you all are very shortsighted
Bahahahaha

Who exactly is shortsighted (and unrealistic)??? Wake me up when the next Amiga "wave" hits please? I won't hold my breath though...

Quote:
so like said before it being dead to you is your world
not mine
Great, good for you...

Who said anything about the Amiga being dead though; the scene certainly isn't? Many new games have been coming out for "classic" Amiga's over the past few years; just to mention a small segment of activity.

I just don't buy into all the new age stuff that isn't really an Amiga anymore, costs a fortune and will be outdated almost instantly...

For me though, WinUAE is the only future of Amiga... I really couldn't care less if you disagree with my opinion

Last edited by DamienD; 28 November 2018 at 00:52.
Old 28 November 2018, 01:02   #33
nexus

so why do you think i care about yours
really typical community mobbing 1 person lol
and a mod at that
you should retire
Old 28 November 2018, 01:04   #34
DamienD
Banned

I couldn't give a toss what you think!!!

You're a real pain in the arse nexus; and I've personally witnessed a lot of your posts being reported multiple times; but we as moderators have let it slide... watch how you proceed.
Old 28 November 2018, 01:06   #35
gregthecanuck

@thread

On OS4/PPC I don't know what is going on with Hyperion. OS4 development has, for all intents and purposes, stopped. A-Eon has picked up the slack as much as possible, sponsoring a *lot* of software development. The new Radeon and 3D/GL support is brilliant. For a very small team that is good work indeed.

On OS3/68K somehow Hyperion managed to get a (controversial) OS 3.1.4 update out the door thanks to a small team of dedicated developers who released it for free (but they do accept PayPal, hint). The Vampire is very cool. This is a long-term project that at some point may get to an ASIC depending on a lot of variables.

Both PPC and 68K platforms are being held back by Hyperion's internal struggles... NOT lack of core OS developer interest.

I still maintain the community would be better off in the long run with the operating systems open-sourced and managed by a pseudo-Linus T. How Hyperion fits into this I have no idea. I am just thinking of the best way forward for the users and the OS.
Old 28 November 2018, 01:13   #36
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
you should retire
Ok, just read your edit...

You are now going on a vacation for 2 weeks and are very lucky that I don't make it permanent; given your short history on EAB and the amount of "reported posts" related to your comments that have been submitted by numerous members

Enjoy and think about how you handle yourself upon return!!!
Old 28 November 2018, 01:53   #37
bitter

This is very simple:

Future of Modern Amiga is Linux
Future of Retro Amiga is classic hardware (or FPGA, if that floats your boat)

Why does Amiga HAVE to have a modern future? It holds a very important place in computer history, but it's history. Let's enjoy it for what it was.
Old 28 November 2018, 03:59   #38
gregthecanuck

Hello bitter...

I like to think of the Vampire project as a continuation of what C= and the big-M failed to do... advance the chipset(s) and the processor. That to me is what made the Amiga so attractive - simple, easy to use and tightly integrated.

Most users ditched their Amigas simply because there was no R&D happening and the machines simply fell behind what the PCs/MACs were doing.

The new 68K Apollo core is bringing the processor up to fairly modern standards. Amazing on its own for a small team. On top of that they are re-implementing the AGA chipset and taking it up to and beyond where C='s mythical future plans wanted to go (16 bit sound, deeper colour, enhanced copper, chunky pixels, more bandwidth).

The Vampire is on a journey... no idea where it will end up long term... which is pretty exciting in its own way.

Cheers!
Old 28 November 2018, 04:27   #39
hth313

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthecanuck View Post
@thread
I still maintain the community would be better off in the long run with the operating systems open-sourced and managed by a pseudo-Linus T. How Hyperion fits into this I have no idea. I am just thinking of the best way forward for the users and the OS.
I agree, but I doubt it will happen. On the other hand I do not think it is needed. We should instead fix whatever is needed to be fixed in AROS.

Look at Haiku, it is a BeOS clone, they did not need the original source code to pull it off, why must we have it?
Old 28 November 2018, 05:49   #40
gregthecanuck

Hi hth313... greetings from across the road. I can see Delta from my window.

The open source path is convoluted for sure. Haiku's re-implementation took 17 years to get to this year's beta. There are various challenges facing AROS that I won't get into unless someone asks for my (free and worthless) opinion. Or do we start with a fully-working code base from the original code that is fully documented, works on classic hardware and is pretty well debugged? I really hope some sort of white knight comes in and rescues the code from the vault and sets it free. And maybe pigs will fly?

Cheers!