English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 May 2002, 00:18   #21
blackcornflake

Quote:
Originally posted by NightShade737
Hm... no price on the predator
Eyetech current price: £139.95.

Analogic Computers carry the Mediator at £129.95.

These prices include UK VAT @ 17.5%, so anyone outside European Union deducts this amount.

@Burseg: Eyetech must either have old information on their website, or they are referring to software other than Warp3D. Drivers for Voodoo chipsets were included in V4.2 of Warp3D, released late last year. Warp3D also supports Virge and Permedia2. Warp3D is supplied to all owners of either G-Rex, Mediator or Prometheus (A3000 PCI solution).

Edit (in light of G3 mention): NightShade, I know not what your friend refers to.

@Burseg: I can only assume that SharkPPC will be compatible with G-Rex. Triple processor Amiga!
Old 09 May 2002, 00:40   #22
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by blackcornflake
Edit (in light of G3 mention): NightShade, I know not what your friend refers to.

@Burseg: I can only assume that SharkPPC will be compatible with G-Rex. Triple processor Amiga!
I think he's referring to a G3 PCI upgrade card for a MAC. Probably one from Sonnet or one of the other manufacturers
Old 09 May 2002, 00:41   #23
oldpx

I see. Thanks for the explanation. But I wonder how long will Amiga have to follow the technology from a few years behind. Ability to use PCI boards is a great achievement for us but all new graphics boards use AGP today.

Old 09 May 2002, 00:58   #24
jmmijo

Wasn't the idea behind the AmigaOne to allow for newer technologies like AGP graphics boards or what
Old 09 May 2002, 01:32   #25
blackcornflake

You are both right.

kriz mentioned the AmigaOne earlier in the thread, and this promises to deliver not only PCI but also AGP, USB, Firewire and one badass OS to run on its modern processor. And the best bit? It connects to the A1200!

The AmigaOne is the upgrade path for existing Amiga owners. It complies to the specification, dubbed 'Zico', required for machines to run OS4. Other solutions, including standalone desktop machines, are also to be made available.

OS4 is to be entirely PPC-native. Some elements of it will still require access to 'Classic' Amiga hardware. Subsequent OS revisions are planned which will gradually integrate the AmigaOS/DE/Tao elate, until OS5, which will be a platform-agnostic desktop OS.

The picture is somewhat confusing. But as far as I am concerned, efforts are being made to basically protect the investment and support we users have made up to now. And seeing as the only decent SWOS was for the Amiga, that's a good thing in my book.
Old 10 May 2002, 23:33   #26
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo

I think he's referring to a G3 PCI upgrade card for a MAC. Probably one from Sonnet or one of the other manufacturers
Could he have been refering to this:

The CyberStormG3/G4 is another next Generation Amiga-PPC-Board. Its the first Board of DCE Computer Service GmbH with only a PPC-processor onboard. The new CyberStorm will not only support the currently available G3 series it will also support AltiVec a new multimedia-PowerPC technology. Also the board will have a PCI-Bus which will make the use of standard PCI components possible ...

hm.... i'll go ask
Old 10 May 2002, 23:34   #27
jmmijo

Yeap, it's possible too
Old 10 May 2002, 23:52   #28
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

arg.... doesn't sound good..........

GAbOS wrote on 05-10-2002 10:19 PM:
Actually one is a Newertech and the other is a Sonitt I beleave. Both are G3's one is a 266 and the other is a 300. They are of the PDS type (Procesor Direct Slot). they are in storage, but I should be hitting the storage building this weekend for some SCSI equip i have there. Ill grab the two CPU's and get you some Model numbers. Both are overclocker friendly, they even came with an OC chart in the manuals. One is driven by a control panle and the other uses switches.
Old 11 May 2002, 00:32   #29
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Unhappy

This is what he was talking about

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/crescendo_pci.html

(and I got my hopes up)
Old 11 May 2002, 02:57   #30
jmmijo

See these are MAC only products AFAIK

Not sure thsi will work even though they have PCI G3/G4 cards. I've got one of their products for my MAC clone and of course it works great