English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Releases

Old 29 December 2023, 09:25   #3741
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu_the_monkey View Post
I was just thinking about the original alien breed.
and it struck me that on some levels you had to make it to the exit before a timer ran out.
after destroying a reactor/generator or what not. would this be doable or would it be a breaking change to the engine?
just food for thought
It's not a breaking change if done in a way that requires some mod setup to work. I was thinking that some sort of time challenge might be good for the plotline in level C and D. C is going to be an engineering section (working in that before the achievements idea) of the orbital station and I plan D to have a reactor system that needs fixing to stabilise the station. You may have seen the warning screens in level B that suggests it's going to deorbit if the power situation isn't fixed.

Timers in D might be useful. I was also thinking about radiation hazards. A bit like floor damage but you get it just for being in a zone, so like how floor damage worked when it was buggy
Old 29 December 2023, 09:55   #3742
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu_the_monkey View Post
took me 5 minutes + on your mod they were all out to get me on that run
Yeah, it's like a Stannah Stairlift, that one.
Old 29 December 2023, 10:11   #3743
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
This way, guns could actually start off a bit weaker and build up too.
Or, more realistically, they could wear off with shots fired. And when you find the same weapon again, the status gets reset. The blaster could be of the no-wear type which could lead to some sort of auto-pistol-start if somebody's aim is too bad and the better weapons have worn off...
Old 29 December 2023, 10:21   #3744
Karlos
Alien Bleed

My quake mod had weapon durability, that would eventually lead to 75% chance of jams. It made a good excuse to keep finding the pickups but I dunno if it suits an action game over an RPG style one.
Old 29 December 2023, 10:25   #3745
Karlos
Alien Bleed

I have some ideas for specific achievements that I'll post in the other thread.
Old 29 December 2023, 10:27   #3746
grond

Well, well, well, I'm the guy who would sneak through AB3D getting heart attacks each time one of those red hellhounds chased towards me. All this running takes away all the atmosphere, if you ask me. To me it's more a question of playing style than of whether it's an action game or an RPG.
Old 29 December 2023, 10:35   #3747
Angus
Amiga Games Database

An achievement for lowest damage suffered?
Old 29 December 2023, 11:22   #3748
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
An achievement for lowest damage suffered?
I will need to add some "current level only" tracking for such things but it shouldn't be rocket science. I also had a thought of a few that are the opposite, like finishing a level with dangerously low health.
Old 29 December 2023, 11:29   #3749
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
Well, well, well, I'm the guy who would sneak through AB3D getting heart attacks each time one of those red hellhounds chased towards me. All this running takes away all the atmosphere, if you ask me. To me it's more a question of playing style than of whether it's an action game or an RPG.
Sure, I get that it's all about playing style, but believe me, people will speed run anything that has a timer, so there's no reason not make it a feature. Besides which,speed runners rarely shoot anything unless it's obligatory, so their guns aren't going to wear out.

Weapon durability isn't going to be trivial to add because all the values around it (damage, reload time, etc) are small, so implementing a gradual decay is going to be tricky to do well.

It's also a tricky balance to strike between the rate of damages and the rate at which replacement weapons can be found. At the moment, in my mod, you can find the shotgun in level A immediately and the assault rifle with little exploration. In level B, assuming you missed the shotgun, it's right there in the open to find and the assault rifle is easy to locate. There's a plasma gun for the explorers. By level C, you can just trip over the shotgun and assault rifle and there's a plasma gun that takes almost no effort to locate.

The plan was to make all the weapons findable "a level earlier" for the explorers but increasingly easier to find in later levels.

Last edited by Karlos; 29 December 2023 at 12:24.
Old 29 December 2023, 11:32   #3750
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
I will need to add some "current level only" tracking for such things but it shouldn't be rocket science. I also had a thought of a few that are the opposite, like finishing a level with dangerously low health.

Cool. I can strive for one and achieve the other!
Old 29 December 2023, 11:33   #3751
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
Cool. I can strive for one and achieve the other!

Half Life: finish with less than half the health you started with...

Just a flesh wound: finish with 20 or lower health.
Old 29 December 2023, 12:03   #3752
grond

Quote:
Just a flesh wound: finish with 20 or lower health.
I think the right sequence is:

"Tis but a scratch", "I have had worse", "It's just a fleshwound" and "I'll do you for that!"
Old 29 December 2023, 12:09   #3753
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
I think the right sequence is:

"Tis but a scratch", "I have had worse", "It's just a fleshwound" and "I'll do you for that!"
Yep, that sounds correct. I think this one is best implemented as an on level start check.
Old 29 December 2023, 12:25   #3754
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Since this thread is mostly dedicated to the actual engine changes, can any suggestions people have for specific achievement ideas go in here https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=111637 ?

The water's already a bit muddy but to make it clear, other than showing the previous best level time, there are no "achievements" for the original game. They can be created however.
Old 30 December 2023, 19:48   #3755
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Achievements based on total amount of X collected (health, fuel, ammo) are now supported.
Old 31 December 2023, 00:30   #3756
Karlos
Alien Bleed

To track ammo used or not to track ammo used, that is the question. On the one hand, knowing how many rounds you've fired is neat, but on the other hand, it's never going to be more than your carry limit difference from all the ammo or that kind you found, which we do track.
Old 31 December 2023, 00:31   #3757
Karlos
Alien Bleed

The PR for this feature is finally off draft.
Old 31 December 2023, 10:51   #3758
Karlos
Alien Bleed

@abu_the_monkey

What happened to your patch that had always run and quake mouse? I'm thinking that we should reintroduce those options.

It was an entirely new sub menu as I recall. Aside from deleting old unreachable code, I've avoided working on it. It maybe the time has come to do so. I want to add something to the menu display, for example, listing things like stats and achievements.
Old 31 December 2023, 23:03   #3759
Karlos
Alien Bleed

I have a bug somewhere with jetpack fuel because my frequent flier achievement doesn't appear to double flight time like it's supposed to.
Old 01 January 2024, 14:20   #3760
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
@abu_the_monkey

What happened to your patch that had always run and quake mouse? I'm thinking that we should reintroduce those options.

It was an entirely new sub menu as I recall. Aside from deleting old unreachable code, I've avoided working on it. It maybe the time has come to do so. I want to add something to the menu display, for example, listing things like stats and achievements.
these are the only changes and they are very old but I am sure you can make sense of them.
just search for 'mnu_MYCUSTOMOPTSMENU', 'quakeMouse' & 'alwaysRun'
Attached Files
File Type: s controlloop.s (51.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: s menunb.s (56.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: s plr1control.s (13.8 KB, 9 views)