English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 13 October 2018, 01:19   #3721
hooleydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
Big round ones = 10uF
Regulator ones as per manual for regulator.
Everything else 100nF

Thanks so much, and don't stay up too late (Not good your your health)...

Oh, can the board run a bit faster than 20MHz....

Last edited by hooleydog; 13 October 2018 at 01:26.
Old 13 October 2018, 04:48   #3722
hooleydog

Hey Guy's I'm gonna do a soldering test using my solder pot. The 2 CLPD's are held in place using a small dab of epoxy (Like in a real SMD machine) Then I'll tape off the rest of the board off using cap tape.. Add flux to the chips and then slide the board over the solder in the pot (so the solder covers the chip) and see if it works (No shorts I hope). The temp of the pot will be no hotter than 270 degrees (so the epoxy won't melt, or the board getting burned). If it don't work then not a problem, as I have more than one board and spare CLPD's too..

But if it works.. I'll do the same to the ram chips (Quick and easy)...

Oh.. One of my jobs was to send the boards (Big and small) through a wave solder machine. All the SMD components are held in place with adhesive (so they don't fall off going through the wave solder).. Flux is sprayed under the board (Covering all the SMD and through hole components).. Then the board moves over the solder wave.. All the components get soldered, and the boards come out hot (Have to wear gloves).. But the components on the board can take the heat, and I've hardly seen a short on the boards (The boards then go to Quality control) ...

Last edited by hooleydog; 13 October 2018 at 05:18.
Old 13 October 2018, 05:23   #3723
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooleydog View Post
Hey Guy's I'm gonna do a soldering test using my solder pot. The 2 CLPD's are held in place using a small dab of epoxy (Like in a real SMD machine) Then I'll tape off the rest of the board off using cap tape.. Add flux to the chips and then slide the board over the solder in the pot (so the solder covers the chip) and see if it works (No shorts I hope). The temp of the pot will be no hotter than 270 degrees (so the epoxy won't melt, or the board getting burned). If it don't work then not a problem, as I have more than one board and spare CLPD's too..

But if it works.. I'll do the same to the ram chips (Quick and easy)...

Oh.. One of my jobs was to send the boards (Big and small) through a wave solder machine. All the SMD components are held in place with adhesive (so they don't fall off going through the wave solder).. Flux is sprayed under the board (Covering all the SMD and through hole components).. Then the board moves over the solder wave.. All the components get soldered, and the boards come out hot (Have to wear gloves).. But the components on the board can take the heat, and I've hardly seen a short on the boards (The boards then go to Quality control) ...

You're doing all of this from home? If so I have crazy amounts of respect for what you're doing, and you should consider documenting. That's the kind of bat$hit insane thing I like to do. I've worked with epoxy before, I guess you'd just use a temperature controlled hotplate with enough solder molten in it, then place the card in on both side one after the other? Or am i mistaken?

Utterly fascinating. Would make soldering those tiny CPLD's an absolute doddle!

John
Old 13 October 2018, 06:58   #3724
pgovotsos

Quote:
Originally Posted by project23 View Post
You're doing all of this from home? If so I have crazy amounts of respect for what you're doing, and you should consider documenting. That's the kind of bat$hit insane thing I like to do. I've worked with epoxy before, I guess you'd just use a temperature controlled hotplate with enough solder molten in it, then place the card in on both side one after the other? Or am i mistaken?

Utterly fascinating. Would make soldering those tiny CPLD's an absolute doddle!

John
I do this using a spare furnace I used to ladle cast bullets. It won't take boards bigger than about 8" x 8" but with accurate thermostat and a quick dip of both sides it is easy to use. It works fine with the pitch of the Amiga chips and even a bit finer. Good epoxy and flux are your friends

With the tremor in my hands these days this works better for me. Just don't put so much epoxy under the components that it lifts them off the pads or covers the pads when you push down and it squeezes out.
Old 13 October 2018, 10:54   #3725
plasmab
Banned

I found this didnt work with RAM chips. the pins need physically pushed by the iron to make contact. Its also alot more work and as a few people found.. you end up with shorts where there the solder paste dribbles under the chip and shorts between vias.

Anyways good luck and let me know how it goes.

I never understood why people are so scared of just soldering with iron though. I honestly find soldering a CPLD on easier and less of a PITA than putting through hole resistors on board.
Old 13 October 2018, 14:42   #3726
plasmab
Banned

New tf534 alpha:

https://github.com/terriblefire/terr...0_13_alpha.zip

I tested this at 25Mhz. I can confirm the AAIB issue. In an effort to get a baseline the Ram is back in the ZII area. this is temp.
Old 13 October 2018, 14:55   #3727
project23
Used Register

Quote:
I never understood why people are so scared of just soldering with iron though. I honestly find soldering a CPLD on easier and less of a PITA than putting through hole resistors on board.
That's coz you've done a million of them!

It's true though, yesterday was only my 4th and it took a fraction of the time of the 1st CPLD I did.
Old 13 October 2018, 15:01   #3728
hooleydog

Myself.. I've hand soldered lots of SMD and through hole components. I even recapped my old A1200 plus my A2000 motherboard (Removing the old caps and sucking the solder from the holes), and changed my 500+ plus A2000 from NTSC to PAL (I don't like NTSC ).. But I've never soldered a CLPD (Where's my microscope at)....

Oh, to be safe.. I even replaced the old caps in my A2000 power supply too, and I added a a/c switch to the front of the 2000, so It's easier to turn it on/off instead of doing it at the back of the computer (Which I hated)...

Last edited by hooleydog; 13 October 2018 at 15:19.
Old 13 October 2018, 15:27   #3729
plasmab
Banned

Ok. I guess i really need to find out why AIBB is the only application with corrupt graphics.. Is the author on EAB? I wonder if i could get some sourcecode snipets to reproduce the issue.

Other applications do show this too. In the menus. Its just a bit random. Does anyone know how intuition renders the menus? I likely have some kind of cycle collision but i need to narrow down whats actually happening.

Last edited by plasmab; 13 October 2018 at 18:12.
Old 14 October 2018, 01:04   #3730
CRP

Hi, just wanted to let you know that my TF530 is officially completed, up and running. Everything works as advertised. I have just burnt a dual kickstart eprom and am running both wb 1.3 and 3.1. Everything is speedy, ide interface works perfectly.

It has been a bumpy road, but thanks to Mr. Leary for designing this thing and making it available to everybody, and thanks for all the guys who have helped out in this forum. I literally started from zero, have learned a lot and had lots of fun!

Thanks!
Old 14 October 2018, 01:27   #3731
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRP View Post
Hi, just wanted to let you know that my TF530 is officially completed, up and running. Everything works as advertised. I have just burnt a dual kickstart eprom and am running both wb 1.3 and 3.1. Everything is speedy, ide interface works perfectly.

It has been a bumpy road, but thanks to Mr. Leary for designing this thing and making it available to everybody, and thanks for all the guys who have helped out in this forum. I literally started from zero, have learned a lot and had lots of fun!

Thanks!
Congrats.

In other news I hacked my SDG1025 up to a SDG1050 today.. so i can now go above 25Mhz on my signal generator.
Old 14 October 2018, 01:47   #3732
alenppc

Quote:
New tf534 alpha:

https://github.com/terriblefire/terr...0_13_alpha.zip

I tested this at 25Mhz. I can confirm the AAIB issue. In an effort to get a baseline the Ram is back in the ZII area. this is temp.

Flashed. I dropped the clock down to 36 Mhz now. IDE is working again. It seems that CPU Fastrom is also working again (gives the crazy IDE speeds once more).

I have an issue with the mouse pointer jumping a bit randomly around the screen (doesn't move smoothly and jumps back and forth).

As for the graphics corruption issue, I wish I knew where the author of AIBB is, since this is one of the most precise benchmark tools on the Amiga. It really would be great to hear from them.

All I can tell you is that the first public release of the TF530 firmware had the same issue. You'll also notice that the CPU clock is not being detected correctly by AIBB, issue which also occured in the original public release of the TF530 firmware.

Both issues were fixed on the subsequent update... so whatever you did then is what fixed it... sorry I am so vague...

Still talking about AIBB, now it shows a crazy low memory latency of 3.5 (TF328 with 0 wait state ram was 4). 14.19 mb/sec transfer rate. I think this is faster than 530...
Old 14 October 2018, 01:57   #3733
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
Flashed. I dropped the clock down to 36 Mhz now. IDE is working again. It seems that CPU Fastrom is also working again (gives the crazy IDE speeds once more).

I have an issue with the mouse pointer jumping a bit randomly around the screen (doesn't move smoothly and jumps back and forth).

As for the graphics corruption issue, I wish I knew where the author of AIBB is, since this is one of the most precise benchmark tools on the Amiga. It really would be great to hear from them.

All I can tell you is that the first public release of the TF530 firmware had the same issue. You'll also notice that the CPU clock is not being detected correctly by AIBB, issue which also occured in the original public release of the TF530 firmware.

Both issues were fixed on the subsequent update... so whatever you did then is what fixed it... sorry I am so vague...

Still talking about AIBB, now it shows a crazy low memory latency of 3.5 (TF328 with 0 wait state ram was 4). 14.19 mb/sec transfer rate. I think this is faster than 530...
excellent feedback.

Can you tell me if audio is ok? I have some issues but i suspect its my capture card. Simon the sorcerer was a bit odd with audio when i tried it.

I can put an alpha together with the same bus timing as the last TF530 release. I am pretty sure i've tried that already but i'll push it out for you to try tomorrow.
Old 14 October 2018, 02:08   #3734
alenppc

No audio issues whatsoever
Old 14 October 2018, 02:37   #3735
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRP View Post

Thanks!
Well done dude, I hope to be close behind you. Had it programmed up, but socket problems, so had to start again (broke the board).
Old 14 October 2018, 08:50   #3736
super_adam

Quote:
Congrats.

In other news I hacked my SDG1025 up to a SDG1050 today.. so i can now go above 25Mhz on my signal generator.
I wish you you could hack it up to at least 1060
Old 14 October 2018, 14:16   #3737
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
No audio issues whatsoever
Can you test something for me...

Disable Data Caches and re-run AIBB. Issues go away for me.

Which has me worried because CIIN is asserted. Do the data caches ignore CIIN?
Old 14 October 2018, 15:09   #3738
plasmab
Banned

Ah. I was hitting this with AIBB.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=56255

New alpha.

https://github.com/terriblefire/terr...0_14_alpha.zip
Old 14 October 2018, 15:21   #3739
plasmab
Banned

Beta time... ram back in ziii space.

https://github.com/terriblefire/terr...10_14_beta.zip

time to break it guys.

EDIT: While you guys do that i'll see if i can get cache burst going

Last edited by plasmab; 14 October 2018 at 15:26.
Old 14 October 2018, 15:58   #3740
plasmab
Banned

Ok i think i understand the slowram issue now. Even though I dont have any.

If you have an 030/MMU? You will need a software patch to cache inhibit the $00Dxxxx area except where you have ram (and want it cached). The accelerator cannot do anything about this.