English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 August 2017, 20:27   #3661
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
At the time of release; Donkey Kong Country blew me away. There was nothing that looked and played as good. Absolute classic game!!!

Never did play Donkey Kong Country 2 back in the day but have finished this and it builds on the first with very cool ideas / features.

...haven't managed to finish Donkey Kong Country 3 though.
Yeah, the graphics are awesome, but I didn't like/ the level design at all. I recently also played Super Mario World properly for the first time (if it's not clear, I didn't own an SNES back at the time, now I own one ) and I found it to be utterly superior in terms of design and gameplay.

Now DKC2 is actually pretty fun to play, unlike the previous one. Also looks gorgeous at certain spots.
Old 10 August 2017, 14:13   #3662
Lord_Jenkins

I've tested Tower 57 demo version. :)

So, recently I have tried to come back to one of my Amiga's favourites - which is Chaos Engine. I remembered the game from my Amiga days - so I've bought the remastered version for Steam... But to be honest, I don't like it THAT much anymore. :/

Later on I've discovered a game called Tower 57 - I even managed to download the demo version from Humble Bundle (it was E3 exclusive demo). It is really cool, a twin-stick shooter with detailed pixel-art - and as far as I understand - levels are designed by hand, not randomized, which I can totally respect in times of Randomly-Generated-Everything. But the problem is that this demo is quite short, only one level is available. I was wondering if maybe someone from this forum had a chance to play it on some events or has access to more robust beta version? Or perhaps you could recommend something similar to Chaos Engine? I looked for similar experiences - but only thing I've found is this Tower game. Hammerwatch can be considered a little bit similar - but I've already finished it (both the original and DLC).

Cheers!

Old 10 August 2017, 14:14   #3663
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
recently bought World Rally From Gaelco as jamma board, plays as good as back in 1993
Old 10 August 2017, 14:39   #3664
DamienD
Banned

Hello there Lord_Jenkins,

Welcome to EAB

There's a whole thread dedicated to Tower 57: Tower 57 - Art Deco - Cyberpunk Topdown Shooter
Old 10 August 2017, 14:50   #3665
Lord_Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Hello there Lord_Jenkins,

Welcome to EAB

There's a whole thread dedicated to Tower 57: Tower 57 - Art Deco - Cyberpunk Topdown Shooter
Hi!

Oh, indeed, there is! For some reason I used the wrong Search box - the Hall of Light one - probably because it has nice big "Search" button on it. Now I feel stupid.

Anyway, thank you so much for linking the proper thread - I'm going there directly for some Tower 57 magic!

Cheers!

Old 10 August 2017, 19:07   #3666
dodgeordie

Just finished Alien Swarm on coop this weekend, now I'm blasting through Darkest Dungeon - have love/hate relationship with this one
Also, I've checked this Tower 57 you guys mentioned. Probably my future coop of choice when friends will come over

Old 15 August 2017, 04:00   #3667
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Begun playing R-Type 3 today.

Levels 1, 2 and 3 pretty easy.

Then level 4 has the most ridiculous "memorize this whole shit or you are screwed" level design I EVER SAW and I played EVERY R-TYPE GAME that exists. This is so hilarious screwed up I can't help but laugh every time I die here.... and then I reach the boss, "Ok, the boss is very easy, thank god this level is ov...... WHAT?" the level begins to scroll backwards and you have to get past the same shit BACKWARDS.

HAHAHAHA this is hilariously brutal.
Old 15 August 2017, 06:48   #3668
Amiga1992

I've been playing a lot of PS1 games lately. NEver really had the chance back then, and it has some beautiful games in its library! Really glad I picked up this console.
Old 15 August 2017, 07:49   #3669
Jope
-

D/Generation and Fury of The Furries lately. :-)
Old 15 August 2017, 15:34   #3670
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I've been playing a lot of PS1 games lately. NEver really had the chance back then, and it has some beautiful games in its library! Really glad I picked up this console.
Are you playing originals or Backups? I could recommend you some nice unknown gems for it.
Old 15 August 2017, 16:27   #3671
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Are you playing originals or Backups? I could recommend you some nice unknown gems for it.
I have a PS2 with a hard drive and I am loading the games off the hard drive. Not as good as using the discs (emulator has issues) but good enough for me in 95% of cases and VERY convenient. I don't want to deal with discs.

Please DO recommend I am a PSX noob.
Old 15 August 2017, 17:08   #3672
Anubis
Retro Gamer

How do you run games of PS2?? I have PS2 with HD, but it works only for PS2 games, not for PSX.
Old 15 August 2017, 23:00   #3673
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Oh hell yeah. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Little Big Adventure, Crash Bandicoot, Silent Hill 1, Final Fantasy 7/9, Gran Turismo 1/2, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Grand Theft Auto 2, Abe's Oddysee, Soul Reaver... I had some good times with those games. And also Duke Nukem: Time to Kill which is a real turd for single player but a hoot in 2 player deathmatch.

Also worth it to boot up Fifa 98 and be greeted with Blur's catchy "Song 2", that was the very first time I heard a commercial song in a game and it blew my mind.
Old 16 August 2017, 12:07   #3674
Cpt. Hindsight

There are too many to mention all of them. Have a look here for obvious titles and hidden gems for the PS1.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/best-...tation-ps1-psx
Old 16 August 2017, 16:49   #3675
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Hindsight View Post
There are too many to mention all of them. Have a look here for obvious titles and hidden gems for the PS1.

Thank you for that link!
Old 16 August 2017, 16:57   #3676
Sinphaltimus

I'm giving "The Immortal" a shot - never did finish it.
Then "Another world" for the same reason.
Old 16 August 2017, 17:31   #3677
Nobby_UK

Slowing down on Morrowind now ---
Had to do a lot of Bashing to get my Blunt Skills up to 90%
So I could become Primate of the Imperial Cult.

Will not do Morag Tong and the Thieves will not have me.

So, do I become the Nerevarine/Hortator and end the game ?
Or just wander about seeing what Tombs + Mines etc... I can find ?

Is it possible to become a Vampire after contacting the Corprus disease ?
Old 16 August 2017, 18:09   #3678
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
How do you run games of PS2?? I have PS2 with HD, but it works only for PS2 games, not for PSX.
I used a mix of tutorials, but basically you need to install POPS and create ELFs for your games and convert the ISOs to the proper format.
This is an old video: [ Show youtube player ]
I watched that first but also used other tutorials to ended up doing it all in my own way.
It's an emulator, so it's not as good as native PSX support with real discs, but as I said, good enough for me. Only found a few glitchy games (Ridge Racer), and some that have a few non-critical slowdowns (R-Type Delta, Rival Schools)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Hindsight View Post
Wow this list is great! Thanks so much!
Even the "obvious" is new to me, as I said, I didn't have a PSX back then, and for the little time I had one in the early 2000s, I had only a couple of good games for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Oh hell yeah. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Little Big Adventure, Crash Bandicoot, Silent Hill 1, Final Fantasy 7/9, Gran Turismo 1/2, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Grand Theft Auto 2, Abe's Oddysee, Soul Reaver... I had some good times with those games. And also Duke Nukem: Time to Kill which is a real turd for single player but a hoot in 2 player deathmatch.
I still have to get into Castlevania: SotN. I am trying to pace myself. But I know I will absolutely love that one!
Thanks for your recommendations, some of those I didn't have on my radar
Old 17 August 2017, 06:53   #3679
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Castlevania SotN is a freaking awesome game, you will love it.
Soul Reaver I could never get into...

For some other PS1 recommendations of games that aren't very obvious ones:

Trap Gunner (it's an absolute blast with 2 players), Internal Section, Micro Machines V3, Gunners Heaven, One, Bloody Roar 2, Die Hard Trilogy (avoid the sequel), Blast Chamber, MDK, Skullmonkeys, Motoracer, Destruction Derby 2 , Toca 2 Touring Car, Colin McRae Rally 2.0 , Soul of the Samurai, Speed Power Gunbike, both Tenchu games, all Twisted Metal games (2 looks like technical puke but it's where the gameplay most shines), Syphon Filter (the 2nd one is the best in the series) ,Driver (avoid the sequel)...

Those are ones that came to mind, I could later check my collection and see if I can remember any others. I am not going to recommend obvious stuff like Metal Gear Solid - which I replayed recently and aged like shit , a lot worse than the original MSX games (like most 3D games... I recommended Syphon Filter above but I'd guess it also has aged a lot... though I believe Tenchu is probably still a gem even after those years even though obviously the 3D graphics will be really rough at the edges), since most obvious one are covered by other fellow friends

And then there are the shmups... which I think you don't need any recommendations... but I'll shoot them anyway: Gradius Gaiden and Zanac x Zanac are OBLIGATORY, besides those, Night Raid, Rayforce and G-Darius I think are my fav on the system. The Psikyo games are all very good too, but I prefer to play them on the Saturn.

-

I just want to add that I recommended Destruction Derby 2.... it's one of my fav racing games ever. Most people only paid attention to the "Destruction" aspect of the game, but the main league mode (without giving points for destruction) it's an incredible solid racing game that's very underrated and overlooked and IMO it has never been surpassed on what it tries to do. The pyhsics are insanely good for an arcade racer, each different CPU driver has a different AI which, with time, you'll learn to recognize and act accordingly.. its division system is brilliant, winning a race is a REAL achievement because it's extremely hard since a lot of random shit will happen - sometimes just being able to finish the race will be a victory, but as winning a race is hard for EVERY driver in the grid, the championship ends being very balanced instead of having the same AI driver winning everything.... my only gripe with it is that the game ends after you win the 1st division (unlike the 1st one that you could keep playing indefinitely). I really think this game deserved more praise than it ever got... if you never tried the game beyond "Let's crash all cars", give it a go. Its *very* challenging at the beginning and you will be rolling over the car all over the place, but when you get the gripes with it its an extremely rewarding game and it's one I still keep coming back to even after all those years from time to time.

I also didn't recommend any RPGs because you know me and you know this isn't my kind of game.. but there are 2 jRPGs that really sucked me into: Vandal Hearts 2 (never played the 1st one) and Chrono Cross. And if those games actually grabbed my attention in a genre that I usually despise, it means they are probably very good ones - though Vandal HEarts is more of a turn-based strategy game than really an RPG since you don't do absolute any interaction at the story sections.. it's just long cut-scenes disguised as "RPG gameplay section"... still the strategy part was good enough to suck me in

Last edited by Shatterhand; 17 August 2017 at 07:02.
Old 17 August 2017, 07:01   #3680
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Dino Crisis 2 ! I absolutely LOVED that game... and I never liked the Resident Evil games too much (at least up until RE4).

Dino Crisis 2 is basically an arcade-ish take at the Resident Evil formula but with Dinosaurs. It's a pretty short game but it's a blast to play.

The first game is nothing like it and it's really more like a slow Resident Evil game with Dinosaurs... but the 2nd game is very action-oriented with lots of twitchy gameplay on it.

WE should create a PS1 Thread