English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 09 October 2018, 00:10   #3621
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SukkoPera View Post
Do you mean 1A total or 1A more than the regular Amiga consumption?
The board consumes ~1A @ 5V with both the CPU and FPU in and a CF card.

Quote:

Also, what clock were you using when you did the measurements?

I *think* it was 25Mhz but I'd need to re-run the tests to be sure. I can tell you that the CPLDs eat ~70mA each @ 3.3V regardless of frequency. Jumps to 90mA when being programmed.

If you plug a CF card in during operation it will GURU. You cant hotplug a CF card on the amiga data bus.
Old 09 October 2018, 00:20   #3622
SukkoPera
Mighty Pirate

I see. Well, my experience shows what I said in my previous post. I will try to measure the current absorption of my setup as well.

My CF is plugged before power-on, I'm doing no hotplugging.

Maybe I should try a different card? Do they all work?
Old 09 October 2018, 02:57   #3623
TimT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SukkoPera View Post
I see. Well, my experience shows what I said in my previous post. I will try to measure the current absorption of my setup as well.

My CF is plugged before power-on, I'm doing no hotplugging.

Maybe I should try a different card? Do they all work?

Do you have the INT2 jumper installed?

Verified CF cards

https://github.com/terriblefire/tf53...ified-CF-Cards
Old 09 October 2018, 08:21   #3624
SukkoPera
Mighty Pirate

Yes, but I will need to double-check that. I can find the signal as shown here, right? http://www.mkl211015.altervista.org/...0+IMGP1500.jpg

CF is Transcend 133x 4gb, sounds supported.

Last edited by SukkoPera; 09 October 2018 at 08:30.
Old 09 October 2018, 14:13   #3625
alenppc

The supported CF card list refers to an older firmware, i.e. before Stephen rewrote the Gayle timing code, so it won't impact the RC1/2 firmwares. I think virtually any card works on the new ones.
Old 09 October 2018, 14:31   #3626
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
The supported CF card list refers to an older firmware, i.e. before Stephen rewrote the Gayle timing code, so it won't impact the RC1/2 firmwares. I think virtually any card works on the new ones.

I’ve never had an issue since I rewrote the firmware for the TF328.
Old 09 October 2018, 14:59   #3627
alenppc

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
I’ve never had an issue since I rewrote the firmware for the TF328.

Yeah, same here.
Old 09 October 2018, 15:35   #3628
supaduper

Ditto never had a Cf card not work with the TF328 this includes SD cards using this IDE to SD adapter
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/44-Pin-Ma...72.m2749.l2649
Old 09 October 2018, 22:51   #3629
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

@SukkoPera
About int2 interrupt - please take a look on this picture:
http://www.mkl211015.altervista.org/...e_int2_ovr.jpg
red wire is INT2 interrupt signal.
If i remember correctly - Your card has very old firmware (before RC2 was released), Old firmware was a little bit picky to some CF cards
-it's time to start to think about FW update (RaspberyPi or Xilinx Programmer), of course You can send Your card to me any time - will update and test it..

@Clad
did the seller of Your card told You ide isn't working? May i ask who was that person?
What exactly is bad/broken? can You upload a picture of Your card? I want to take a look, maybe we will see the fault
Old 09 October 2018, 23:05   #3630
CRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsymalone666 View Post
So something I have been pondering (still waiting for a PCB to arrive before I start getting components in) is about the oscillator, should it match the speed exactly, be faster/slower? what sort of difference does it make to stability?

Also where have you sourced you CPLDs from?
I got my CPLDS from mouser and from Digikey, be careful to get ones with 10ns timing. The first time round I bought 7ns ones and they do not work.

I have only used a 25 MHz oscillator until now with CPUs rated above that. I guess using higher frequencies is as always with overclocking, i.e. depends a lot on the specific chip one has....
Old 09 October 2018, 23:15   #3631
CRP

In the meantime I completed my TF530 by installing the FPU (is recognized correctly by sysinfo, haven't tested otherwise) and the IDE header.

I have as of yet not been able to get the latter to work with an CF-IDE40 adapter plus Transcend 4GB CF300 card. The adapter's power light and "card detected" led light up, but I do not see any volumes in workbench. I have tried preparing the CF card both as a block device in UAE (where it works fine), and using lallafa's rdbtools.

I have a few questions about the IDE:

1) are there any specific steps I need to take to get KS 1.3 to recognize an IDE HD? Any diagnostics I could use?
2) is the INT2 cable connection required only for HD booting or generally for IDE functionality?
3) (not tf530 specific) I understand that Kickstart 1.3 can not boot from IDE unless patched, but if a HD is recognized, it should show up in workbench 1.3 nonetheless, correct?

Thanks!
Old 09 October 2018, 23:17   #3632
bugsymalone666
Amiga baby yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRP View Post
I got my CPLDS from mouser and from Digikey, be careful to get ones with 10ns timing. The first time round I bought 7ns ones and they do not work.

I have only used a 25 MHz oscillator until now with CPUs rated above that. I guess using higher frequencies is as always with overclocking, i.e. depends a lot on the specific chip one has....
Well I looked on mouser but no joy with the cpld, not sure I could find it in digikey either, tried ebay, not much luck, wondering if there might be an alternative.

Been looking at 40mhz chips so obviously match the frequency to that, still trying to track down all the parts before I start ordering and making anything mind!

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 09 October 2018, 23:38   #3633
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRP View Post
In the meantime I completed my TF530 by installing the FPU (is recognized correctly by sysinfo, haven't tested otherwise) and the IDE header.

I have as of yet not been able to get the latter to work with an CF-IDE40 adapter plus Transcend 4GB CF300 card. The adapter's power light and "card detected" led light up, but I do not see any volumes in workbench. I have tried preparing the CF card both as a block device in UAE (where it works fine), and using lallafa's rdbtools.

I have a few questions about the IDE:

1) are there any specific steps I need to take to get KS 1.3 to recognize an IDE HD? Any diagnostics I could use?
2) is the INT2 cable connection required only for HD booting or generally for IDE functionality?
3) (not tf530 specific) I understand that Kickstart 1.3 can not boot from IDE unless patched, but if a HD is recognized, it should show up in workbench 1.3 nonetheless, correct?

Thanks!
1) there is no chance to let IDE work under KS 1.3 until You patch it with scsi.device driver. Stock KS 1.3 does not have it and doesn't know what IDE is and how to operate it
2) INT2 interrupt wire is needed ON BOTH rev.2 & rev.3 cards! IDE can work without this signal, but it will de veeeery slow 20x slower than with it
3) see 1)

@Clad
Are You using KS 3.1? What exactly isn't working on the IDE?
Are TF534 on Ebay? Only Stephen has sources, i think if he starts to sell the cards - he will let us know..

About: A2000 HC+8 - don't own it, so can't test, sorry.
In other hand - if i had one - will not use it anyway, as it is dead slow..CF cards are way better than HDD, i can copy 8GB card within a minutes using WinImage 9 and it will be perfect clone of a card, so yeah. HDD? No thank You

Last edited by 8 Bit Dreams; 09 October 2018 at 23:55.
Old 09 October 2018, 23:50   #3634
CRP

Quote:
Well I looked on mouser but no joy with the cpld, not sure I could find it in digikey either, tried ebay, not much luck, wondering if there might be an alternative.
https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-de...1388-ND/826991
Old 10 October 2018, 00:39   #3635
project23
Used Register

Quote:

Been looking at 40mhz chips so obviously match the frequency to that, still trying to track down all the parts before I start ordering and making anything mind!

I also found them on Farnell UK I think last week? Their shipping costs for small orders is much lower than the likes of digikey, and all i needed was a few new CPLD's. That being said if you're ordering a full stock of 530 parts, I think its better to use digikey and get the free shipping by spending - i think 25? 30?

John
Old 10 October 2018, 00:51   #3636
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBBacon View Post
OK I give up my brother finished building my tf530 rev3 board today for me I have been trying to install the firmware I have installed impact and am using a xilinx programmer it finds the cplds but won't identify them or install the jed files on them not sure what to do i am a complete amateur with this kind of stuff so I have pulled it out of the amiga and stuck it back in its antistatic bag and filed it
stop moaning and watch Teffible Fire Youtube Channel - Stephen showed every single step how to get TF530 flashed, please do not expect it will be repeated 100500 times here..
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by 8 Bit Dreams; 10 October 2018 at 01:00.
Old 10 October 2018, 01:48   #3637
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBBacon View Post
I'm not moaning about the process I believe I have one or more faulty parts and do not have the money to throw at it to fix it I have watched the programming process and I am not getting the results that are supposed to be happening so I am conceding defeat for the time being until I can afford some new components it just been frustrating and I needed to vent sorry if it offended you
Not offended, however, it is for me like You have passed 99% of the route, so there is only 1% left - but You are turning back...
If Your cplds are detected - then everytning is good! Just add bus firmware to the left cpld and ram fw to right one from here:
https://github.com/terriblefire/tf53..._01_15_RC2.zip
then hit programm and You're lucky..
Old 10 October 2018, 03:19   #3638
alenppc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clad View Post
here is more than enough memory on my GVP), I just wanted a CPU that is equivalent or better than a 14Mhz 68020 (but without the compatibility issues of the 040/060), and the TF530 was cheaper than a Commodore A2620.

The ram on the card is essential. Any Zorro-2 ram you have on your expansion cards is only 16-bit wide and is painfully slow, therefore your TF530 will perform VERY slowly, hardly any better than a stock 68000. So yes, you really want that 32-bit ram on the card.

Anyways, if anyone wants to buy a fully populated & working card and knows what they are doing in terms of installing it and INT2 connection etc, please contact me, I have a few extra ones.
Old 10 October 2018, 07:54   #3639
bugsymalone666
Amiga baby yeah!

That's mad I was trying the search putting in the device type and even when I found the range I couldn't find the type! But really they are not expensive as some of that range, as you suggest with a bill of parts I may just get it all from them

Old 10 October 2018, 09:27   #3640
plasmab
Banned

Only myself, Viktor and Alen Marks and Supaduper have a TF534 at time of writing. It’s going to stay like that until all the bugs are out.