English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Green Amiga Alien GUIDES

Old 19 February 2010, 16:31   #341
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
lookin foward to tring this out when I get time, nice 1 milanca
Old 20 February 2010, 00:08   #342
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanca View Post
** update

Sata drives are working now. Tested on ICH9 chipset. Should cover most of the modern sata controllers.

Pioneer is my SATA DVD drive.
Hitachi is my internal SATA-2 hard drive

Regards,
-milanca
SATA works on ICH7 with original kernels and Colville kernels already

When you say the 4gb refuses to boot, you mean with 4gb in machine but Amithlon set with mem=512m? What does it look like when it goes wrong on screen?

I'm happy with current kernels which work for my Quad Core machine but its never gonna be installed on my machines until I can keep my 4Gb in the machine even if Amithlon only uses 512M of it
Old 20 February 2010, 02:26   #343
milanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
SATA works on ICH7 with original kernels and Colville kernels already
Sure. But now it supports ICH8, ICH9, probably ICH10, AHCI modes, which original kernel doesn't.

Quote:
When you say the 4gb refuses to boot, you mean with 4gb in machine but Amithlon set with mem=512m? What does it look like when it goes wrong on screen?
Exactly. That's what i meant. Garbage on screen.

Quote:
I'm happy with current kernels which work for my Quad Core machine but its never gonna be installed on my machines until I can keep my 4Gb in the machine even if Amithlon only uses 512M of it
Of course, then you should stick to kernel which works fine for your box. No reason to update anything. My goal was to provide support, any kind, for some of non-working hardware.
Old 21 February 2010, 03:06   #344
arti

Will this kernel work on my machine: core2duo 3GB Ram Geforce 7600GT PCI-E ? From your posts it looks like it should be ok but I get only a purple screen and no buncing ball.

Thanks for new kernel! I hope it will work on my PC too.

Last edited by arti; 21 February 2010 at 03:11.
Old 21 February 2010, 04:51   #345
milanca

@arti

You are very welcome. Try removing 2gigs and leave only 1gig of ram. Vesa mode should work. Have in mind, this is a testing kernel without hw acceleration. I'll include the support we have had earlier and my next step is to see what kind of gfx support could included in this kernel.
You have to have OS3.9 already installed.

Has 'kern310' worked for you before?
Old 21 February 2010, 10:48   #346
salax54

@all: Ok, here's a silly (or two) question: I have only just now began reading this thread, and have gotten more confused then before reading! :-) Anyway, my question is, say i've already a separate disk with XP on it, and intend to install Amithlon to a second disk, not a partition. There's no bootloader installed anywhere, and the BIOS is so old it won't bring up a hd boot selection at startup. What's the easiest way of handling this so i can select disks at fireup? Last question, i haven't figured out, if i already have the Amithlon set up with the original kernel, isn't there an easy way for noobs to update the kernel to the latest one? Thanks!
Old 22 February 2010, 11:59   #347
alpyre

@salax54:
Please check your PMs first

1) You can install AmigaOS to your second hard disk. But it has to be an IDE disk, not SATA or USB (yet). You can do it with "HDToolBox" and "AmigaOS3.9 installer" from Workbench (but first you will have to get to the Workbench - any Workbench will do: under Amithlon itself or WinUAE).

2) But first you have to install a bootloader into your Primary harddisk (where your Windows is).
* You may install Grub. You will have to create a small new partition - on this disk - to keep its files and the Amithlon kernels.
* You can install IsoLinux bootloader... You will not need a new partition, but your Windows partition "MUST" be FAT32 formatted.
To have one of these installed succesfully, you will have to cycle back in this thread and read many stuff... All "guides" and "how to"s are already present...

3) Updating an Amithlon kernel on an already installed system is a piece of cake. Just copy the new one, and edit the "boot command line" of your bootloader. Anyone successfully installed the Amithlon, will surely know how to do this as well.
Old 22 February 2010, 14:12   #348
salax54

@alpyre: Thanks so much for the help! I'll test your pm'ed advice. There's no SATA involved in the setup. I have already done the hdtoolbox setup of the disk and it simply boots under the Amithlon CD, not autonomously of course..Windows on the other hand, is XP on an NTFS formatted disk. Won't grub install under an NTFS partition? This is getting even more confusing in the end! What you're saying is either use grub or isolinux bootloader? (are they 2 different things?) What if i utilize a third-party bootloader (commercial one), will i be able to edit the "boot command line" you mention, and if so, editing means changing the kernel path? Wow, i can already feel the headache coming.. LOL
Old 22 February 2010, 15:59   #349
alpyre

@Salax:
Grub (Legacy Grub) requires a FAT partition. But there is the new "GNU Grub" (a.k.a Grub v1.97) which supports NTFS. It is totally different than "Legacy Grub"... Manually installing it into your Windows partition will be another headache, until we have a "how to" for that...

It is best to spare some 20 MB's on your Windows partition for a new FAT16 partition, so you can install "Legacy Grub" using Charlie's guide...
Old 24 February 2010, 09:30   #350
blitter1

Does amithlon1_com.device works with Gary's kernel?

Anyone succeded using openpci_8139.device on any unit other than unit 0 when two realtek 8139 chipset pci cards installed?

Last edited by blitter1; 24 February 2010 at 18:32.
Old 26 February 2010, 09:20   #351
blitter1

Ok. Its only one unit available for openpci_8139.device.

Amithlon1_com.device is for the serial port, but there is amithlon1_net.device with contrib3b which is for network cards.

I can't get it to load in MiamiDX on any unit, but I think I could in the past.
Snoopdos says that MiamiDX finds the files on location, but it doesn't load.

Last edited by blitter1; 26 February 2010 at 09:42.
Old 05 March 2010, 16:31   #352
milanca

Has anyone tried kernel4 with internal SATA drive so far ?

Amithlon is sometimes a painful job when it comes to installing. Here is a quick howto besides Charlie's beautiful guide. It can be handy if original or gary's kernel don't work for you and my kernel doesn't support bigird booting (internal disk image mouting) simply due to kernel architecture, ramfs conflict. No big deal, here is a workaround.

Probably you can do these first steps in windoze, i am using linux. Any linux live distro will do, just to extract what we need then you don't need it any more.

-To extract bigird.gz place it somewhere on your hdd so you can access it later from linux; or just copy it to usb flash.

-Once in linux copy it somewhere, on the desktop for example. For a little less experienced users, i will show you how to do it under ubuntu. Default user is 'ubuntu' and default home folder in livecd is 'home/ubuntu/'
So bigird.gz is placed on desktop. Launch terminal.

Code:
cd /home/ubuntu/Desktop
gunzip -d bigird.gz
it's extracted. Lets mount it.

Code:
sudo mkdir -p /mnt/bigird
sudo mount -t ext2 bigird /mnt/bigird -o loop
it's mounted.

Now fire up file explorer, go to file system, /mnt/bigird and find diskfile_haage. Copy it to your fat32 partition, or usb flash, so you can use it later in WinUAE.

Now it's all pretty easy. You need a partition (as in Charlie's guide) with id &76.. You can set it up in linux as well, with fdisk, id should be 76. In already configured WinUAE you can simply add real partition from your hdd and also diskfile_haage as a hard disk image as additional partitions. Pretty straightforward from now on. Initialize, format virtual (even full format works), copy everything from amithlon_hd to your hdd, set it all up, tune up the bootloader and you're ready to go.
Old 05 March 2010, 18:12   #353
dframeli

I have SATA drives working with kernal 3.10.

Haven't tried kernal 4 yet, but I want to. Just need to find time.

BTW, if there was a way to modify kernal 4 to do so, I'd like to see support for the all-in-one AMD 785/790/890 chipsets, as well as for the all-in-one Atom/ION/ION2 chipsets...
Old 08 March 2010, 16:21   #354
milanca

I am not worried about the chipsets. These chipsets, with southbridges like sb600, sb700, etc should be supported, if not already. Some of them are already supported, i have to check in the kernel. Nvidia ion, MCPxx if i am right should also work. Graphics is the main deal right now. ION for example, with 9400M if i am right, and all the new pci-e graphic cards both nvidia and ati. We need open source drivers for all newer cards. Latest support we have is (fx5200, 5700..) and i think also nvidia serie 6xxx like 6200. Not just for amithlon but for linux kernel in general. So these are the cards we have console framebuffer kernel drivers. There are some rumors that ati is going open source. I hope nvidia will follow.
Old 08 March 2010, 21:38   #355
dframeli

Milanca,

Sorry I wasn't clear in my request.

When I said chipset, I meant motherboards built using these chipsets.

So, for example, I'd like to see the kernal 4 support not only the chipset itself, but also the video, sound and network chips, usb, etc... included on the most commonly offered AMD 785/790/890 and Atom/ION/ION2 based motherboards.

I think support for these all-in-one boards would solve alot of headaches for those people interested in building or upgrading an Amithlon based system

Thanks!
Old 28 March 2010, 20:17   #356
Xytec

I got an old Dell Says model number PP10L stuck IcAROS on it and bunged in Amithlon and running from CD get past the bouncing ball and get to a workbench.

It won't install because it can't see the HD, when I click install it say not enough room (I think its trying to install onto its own CD) even though its aa 30G HD

Any quick way for an Idiot to install it :P ?

IE Quick as in not partitioning the HD more than Icaros has already done?

Or some simple steps for a simpleton?
Old 28 March 2010, 21:14   #357
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
some simple steps for a simpleton?
easy
follow Charlie`s guide

see post #1
Old 30 March 2010, 09:50   #358
blitter1

Which PC express cards work with amithlon?
Old 30 March 2010, 11:02   #359
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Blast, not been paying attention again - thanks for the nudge blitter1

@blitter1:
PCI Express cards?
To my knowledge no such cards are, a-hem, expressly supported in Amithlon. All is not necessarily lost...
...many, if not all, GFX cards will run under VESA mode with Amithlon - lack of hardware acceleration isn't much of an issue as unaccelerated Amithlon is still far faster than any native GFX card. Also x86 boxes continue to get faster. One has to watch out with modern GFX cards as may don't support VESA properly - it is an ancient legacy thing that many manufacturers can't be bothered with - check the specs.
...PCI-e and PCI look much the same as far as chipsets and and Amithlon are concerned so it shouldn't make any difference - if it's a supported chip-set it should work. There is, sadly, a gotcha: Amithlon recognises cards via the ID code the card not by queering the chip-set. This means you can have a PCI-e card with supported chip-set that would work but Amithlon doesn't recognise it because it's carrying a different ID from otherwise identical PCI versions.

As always, unless someone says 'I've got this working', it's pot-luck with modern machines.
Old 06 April 2010, 21:05   #360
blitter1

Can DVI and VGA output of a graphics card eg. FX 5200 work at the same time using amithlon? I want to have 2 monitors showing the same at the same time with amithlon.