English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 February 2015, 09:35   #341
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

All Pi's have composite
Old 24 February 2015, 09:37   #342
giantclam

..ahh...found it...it is on the 3.5mm jack....cabling time... =)
Old 24 February 2015, 09:46   #343
dooklink

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantclam View Post
..ahh...found it...it is on the 3.5mm jack....cabling time... =)
So you have an A+?
Old 24 February 2015, 11:15   #344
giantclam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooklink View Post
So you have an A+?
...apparently =) ... what's not on the workshop junkbox menu though, is a 4pole tip&ring plug...have to buy a plug & fight with it tomorrow ...
Old 24 February 2015, 23:20   #345
dooklink

I'm posting this information both on the Shmups forum and English Amiga Boards forum for those interested.

I can confirm that the Jammerboards GBS firmware will sync and display 54~55 Hz arcade games. I used GroovyMame running R-Type and Mortal Kombat to test the Jammerboards firmware at 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768. It can be hard to get the full image on the output canvas, but it can be done. Also the default coast values need reducing and the default clamping values also need tweaking to occur during the horizontal blanking period.

What I could not get working is 50Hz PAL console resolutions. Oddly, 576i via YPbPr still worked, but not via RGBS. RGBHV is still reserved for 31kHhz+ signals and RGBS for 15kHz, which is annoying as GroovyMame is RGBHV by default.
I haven't tested 24kHz signals.
Old 24 February 2015, 23:53   #346
Stedy

@giantclam

Have you tried my required modification of adding a 680 ohm resistor on CSYNC?

Having different SDRAM vendors should not be an issue. All SDRAM types are JEDEC compliant. Providing they are the same speed grade they will be interchangeable.

Changing C11 on the GBS-8200 and 8220 from a ceramic to a tantalum will remove the majority of specks in the display.

@thread

I have Arduino Mini and Nano board here, so I can easily experiment. Have started work on some software to work in parallel with the existing firmware, just sending I2C commands to over-ride some defaults. Will be using the serial port for status info, though it could be used stand-alone.

The arduino is not my preferred platform, I use Microchip PIC products for many projects and have some good development tools. The cheap and easy availability of Arduino clones makes them a suitable alternative and loading software is comparatively easy.

Defining which registers I need to adjust and which to monitor for changes, is an interesting read The register dumps you guys provided earlier in this thread helped with some variables, like line count.

Back to coding

Ian
Old 25 February 2015, 05:06   #347
giantclam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedy View Post
@giantclam

Have you tried my required modification of adding a 680 ohm resistor on CSYNC?
...not initially, mainly because I have the microbee rgb daughter board insitu, but assuming nothing, I tried it anyway ; no change =)

Quote:
Having different SDRAM vendors should not be an issue. All SDRAM types are JEDEC compliant. Providing they are the same speed grade they will be interchangeable.
...in the 'regulated' world, I'd totally agree -- in the knockoff world..not so much...<grin>..

Quote:
Changing C11 on the GBS-8200 and 8220 from a ceramic to a tantalum will remove the majority of specks in the display.
...yeah, that was first mod off the rank ~ going by the ams1117 docs, any potential ringing should be avoided. I just started reading through the 5725 docs and checked the 'loop filter' passives are as per 'default' values - they are (both boards). I'll keep reading and then get the rpi in the picture and see what I can discover...
Old 27 February 2015, 02:33   #348
giantclam

...found a small wrinkle wrt gbs-control install script replacing /boot/config.txt with it's own custom version of same - it omits the param line 'dtparam=i2c_arm=on' which apparently is required to enable the i2c bus on the A+ (perhaps B+ too?), so simply appending the param to config.txt and rebooting gets over this hurdle...

....but on the bummer side, none of the predefined setup modes sync with ami (in fact most all of the 50Hz modes cause the monitor to complain about out-of-range...weird), and thus far no amount of twiddling seems to help any....I'll have to get my head around the register dumps and how they correlate to the tvia datasheet...
Old 27 February 2015, 02:48   #349
dooklink

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantclam View Post
...found a small wrinkle wrt gbs-control install script replacing /boot/config.txt with it's own custom version of same - it omits the param line 'dtparam=i2c_arm=on' which apparently is required to enable the i2c bus on the A+ (perhaps B+ too?), so simply appending the param to config.txt and rebooting gets over this hurdle...

....but on the bummer side, none of the predefined setup modes sync with ami (in fact most all of the 50Hz modes cause the monitor to complain about out-of-range...weird), and thus far no amount of twiddling seems to help any....I'll have to get my head around the register dumps and how they correlate to the tvia datasheet...
Rasbian keeps getting updated with new settings and I can't keep up.

With 50 Hz, most PC monitors will not accept 50Hz input. My settings specify an output and an input. Try the 800x600 modes which do 50 to 60 Hz conversion.
Old 27 February 2015, 06:42   #350
giantclam

Quote:
With 50 Hz, most PC monitors will not accept 50Hz input. My settings specify an output and an input. Try the 800x600 modes which do 50 to 60 Hz conversion.
...tried to no avail ; it simply refuses to sync ..PAL or NTSC....{sigh}...no biggy tho'...still have the other gbs if I actually wanna do anything on the amiga..
Old 27 February 2015, 12:49   #351
dooklink

@giantclam

That sounds really odd. So you can't see anything on the monitor, not even the RPi menu? Or are you referring to the input of signals?

Can you detail your entire set-up, as in RPi <> GBS connections and power, output connection and monitor. Sometimes I've made assumptions as to how things are set-up. Something I've assumed to always work, be constant or set-up in the same way may not be.
Old 27 February 2015, 23:39   #352
giantclam

Quote:
@giantclam

That sounds really odd. So you can't see anything on the monitor, not even the RPi menu? Or are you referring to the input of signals?

Can you detail your entire set-up, as in RPi <> GBS connections and power, output connection and monitor. Sometimes I've made assumptions as to how things are set-up. Something I've assumed to always work, be constant or set-up in the same way may not be.
...I should've been clearer ; yes I can see the rpi menu and gbs-control seems to be working as expected ; it's the amiga video I can't get to sync ; setup is as per before (and works v.good with the other gbs unit)...ie; amiga RGBHV to microbee rgb intensity board thence to gbs8200, powersupply is 9vdc (18va) regulated....it's just something with this jammaboard-touched gbs8200 at play that refuses to eat amiga...
Old 28 February 2015, 01:41   #353
dooklink

@giantclam

If the pi menu is working the issue is almost certainly the sync signal. I'm assuming you are feeding the same sync signal to both GBS boards? And that P8 is shorted when using the pi?

Also, you could try running gbs_control on the working board as that should work if the normal setup works. If that doesn't work it must be the signal. The Pi outputs 576i and can display that converted to 60Hz by default. So the gbs board must be working. The only hardware issue could be the RGBs sync input being blown, but I've yet to here of that.

You don't happen to be in Brisbane do you?
Old 28 February 2015, 03:15   #354
giantclam

Quote:
@giantclam

If the pi menu is working the issue is almost certainly the sync signal. I'm assuming you are feeding the same sync signal to both GBS boards? And that P8 is shorted when using the pi?

Also, you could try running gbs_control on the working board as that should work if the normal setup works. If that doesn't work it must be the signal. The Pi outputs 576i and can display that converted to 60Hz by default. So the gbs board must be working. The only hardware issue could be the RGBs sync input being blown, but I've yet to here of that.

You don't happen to be in Brisbane do you?
....yes & yes, and that's about where my thoughts have led as well ~ 'for some reason' the unit's not doing RGBs (or if it is, it's failing to separate the H/V timing correctly) ; I've just had another poke at it and noticed that when I flip screens (F1/F2), for that moment before pi.set applies, I can see the amiga output in the way I would be expecting, but it may just be an aberration of some kind. If it isn't that, I'd suspect something in the resident fw bitbanging registers I haven't found... maybe it's been DoA since switchon =)...still, half the fun is in the searching I guess. The other gbs board doesn't suffer from any of this nonsense...

...an hour or so south of brissy actually, why do you ask?...
Old 28 February 2015, 03:23   #355
dooklink

@giantclam

Hrm, doesn't sound like anything I've seen or can explain.

I'm in Brisbane, so if you were close enough I could hookup my setup to that board and see what I can find.
Old 28 February 2015, 05:31   #356
giantclam

@dooklink

..yeah, it's really weird, and it's been like this ffrom the getgo - I'll keep poking at it for a while - if you wanna PM me your snail address, I can send it your way after I've had a sufficient fiddle....
Old 01 March 2015, 01:31   #357
giantclam

....think I got a dead one (or something weirder is afoot)... I typically choose 9dvc when given the 5-12v input option -- on a whim, moved to a 12v regulated supply - at poweron I see the blue gbs logo hit the screen, then it sits there blinking it's led on a 1, 1-2 fashion and the i2c bus comes and goes when this happens --- moved to a 6vdc supply, and it's behaving 'normally' again (and even having a better go at syncing with the amiga, although it never quite does) ; I think I call this 'errant behaviour'... =)
Old 01 March 2015, 01:40   #358
dooklink

I think 5V supplies are best. I believe higher can cause issues and maybe even damage. It depends if you have a 8220 with linear reg or 8200 with buck converter.

I was doing some testing and found some very weird behaviour. I believe I found a bug in the firmware that can get the eeprom settings stuck and the auto button stops working. I had to flash the Jammerboards firmware, set the pre and post coast values, then flash back to the original firmware to fix it. But there are still problems even then. Looks like I'll be dumping the eeprom.
Old 01 March 2015, 01:50   #359
giantclam

...m'kay...I'll get the bench supply going and feed it 5vdc ; can confirm that bug description, it's happened to me a number of times ...indeed, the board shows a prepensity to lockup when doing some mode changes (or gets things wrong) ; and as you observe, things can keep getting weirder from there on in...

edit: after some playing....best I can figure it ~ the 'S' and 'HS' inputs all tie together, presented to SOG1 (pin64) ; afaict, jammaboards all use 'VS' input as well to obtain vertical timing (VSIN1, pin45). and I have to be suspicious the jammaboard fw is mandating VSIN1 active. when in reality we want the S(C-sync) via SOG1 with H/V sync separation path...just a hunch, certainly explains what I'm seeing....

Last edited by giantclam; 02 March 2015 at 02:09. Reason: update
Old 04 March 2015, 09:22   #360
giantclam

Quote:
....//...

I was doing some testing and found some very weird behaviour. I believe I found a bug in the firmware that can get the eeprom settings stuck and the auto button stops working. I had to flash the Jammerboards firmware, set the pre and post coast values, then flash back to the original firmware to fix it. But there are still problems even then. Looks like I'll be dumping the eeprom.
I've managed to scramble mine in similar fashion, and for the life of me I can't get the auto-scan button working again ; if you figure out how & why and work out how to get things back to baseline. plz share the wisdom =)