English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 December 2015, 06:17   #3461
Anubis
Retro Gamer

* Just Cause - tried couple of missions, like mix of GTA and bionic commando
* Battle Island (not one on amiga, but multiplayer one on steam - just picking achievements... connecting once/twice a day...
* Runes of Magic - bit of MMORPG... but nothing serious...

Otherwise not enough time to finish single game... last one I completed was Remember me - it had nice story. Should replay it, to get rest of achievements.
Old 25 December 2015, 09:38   #3462
ransom1122

Finished Rise of the Tomb Raider. Now just freeplaying it finding all the missed treasures.

Then I will be paying Until Dawn - PS4
Old 07 January 2016, 15:32   #3463
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Terraria... until I get at least 50% of achievements...
Old 08 January 2016, 08:42   #3464
cosmiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Terraria... until I get at least 50% of achievements...
First game I got 100% achievements - and it was awesome!
Old 08 January 2016, 08:47   #3465
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmiq View Post
Respect, I think I put too many hours into that game before full Steam integration to be able to still pull that off Remains a fun game though, I still haven't even seen all of the 1.3 stuff yet.
Old 08 January 2016, 09:11   #3466
ransom1122

Until Dawn - PS4. Oh Lordy - I only play it when im alone with the sound up high. It is very intense and has many BOO moments. I am up to Chapter 6 and loving it.
Old 08 January 2016, 09:59   #3467
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Finished Spec Ops the Line over the Christmas holidays and found it to be equal parts harrowing and magnificent. I can already tell that that game is going to stay with me for a long time.

Currently playing through Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. I completed and enjoyed The New Order late last year, and I'm finding The Old Blood focuses more on action rather than story as TNO did. It doesn't bother me too much. There's also no sex scenes, which I found rather jarring in TNO.
Old 08 January 2016, 10:41   #3468
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
Currently playing through Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. I completed and enjoyed The New Order late last year
Same here, it was on sale after all

I was quite surprised by the New Order; it may be a dumb linear FPS game, but it has really well-defined characters and dialogue that really elevate the quality of the game. I like also how you make a rather gruesome choice not too far into the game which actually affects certain aspects of the game's timeline, so you can play it at least twice.

Quote:
There's also no sex scenes, which I found rather jarring in TNO.
It seems a necessary thing to put into a war-scenario nowadays on any medium, really awkward sex scenes. What's next? Detailing how during a war you go potty?
Old 08 January 2016, 12:26   #3469
Gzegzolka

There are sex scenes first one is on train to Berlin and second one is easy to miss later, I do not remember when, but You need to talk to Oliva in Your base before mission start (it could be before u-boot mission). I'm also not sure could You have sex scene with Tekla if You talk to her in good moment. I like those scenes, they are made in good taste.
Old 08 January 2016, 17:31   #3470
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

That sounds like you're describing the New Order; Muzzy is talking about the Old Blood when he refers to "no sex".
Old 08 January 2016, 17:44   #3471
Baboon
Moon Monkey

Just picked up an Nvidia Shield Tablet and have been getting my Sega Saturn fix playing on uoYabause with 'Radient Silvergun',' Nights' and 'Guardian Heroes' plus on Reicast 'Marvel Vs Capcom 2' and also the English patched rom of 'Fire Pro Wrestling D (which is amazing)!

Also been dabbling again with Protracker on the Amiga after not having a go for many years.
Old 09 January 2016, 09:26   #3472
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon View Post
Just picked up an Nvidia Shield Tablet and have been getting my Sega Saturn fix playing on uoYabause with 'Radient Silvergun',' Nights' and 'Guardian Heroes' plus on Reicast 'Marvel Vs Capcom 2' and also the English patched rom of 'Fire Pro Wrestling D (which is amazing)!

Also been dabbling again with Protracker on the Amiga after not having a go for many years.
Any video on Youtube you can recommend of Shield playing Reicast.
I played the "English patched rom of 'Fire Pro Wrestling D" & "Marvel Vs Capcom 2" on my real DC no long ago. I would like to compare how they perform on shield
Old 09 January 2016, 10:09   #3473
Baboon
Moon Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
Any video on Youtube you can recommend of Shield playing Reicast.
I played the "English patched rom of 'Fire Pro Wrestling D" & "Marvel Vs Capcom 2" on my real DC no long ago. I would like to compare how they perform on shield
[ Show youtube player ] and https://youtu.be/Y0-DGS5PHYE These links are for shield tv but using the same build on my Shield tablet it runs identical (and has no graphical glitches like on the more recent dev builds). I couldn't map L and R in the emulator for my controller for some reason but just used the nvidia game mapper for those buttons.

Pretty much perfect DC emulation
Old 10 January 2016, 07:59   #3474
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Same here, it was on sale after all

I was quite surprised by the New Order; it may be a dumb linear FPS game, but it has really well-defined characters and dialogue that really elevate the quality of the game. I like also how you make a rather gruesome choice not too far into the game which actually affects certain aspects of the game's timeline, so you can play it at least twice.

It seems a necessary thing to put into a war-scenario nowadays on any medium, really awkward sex scenes. What's next? Detailing how during a war you go potty?
Now now, there's nothing wrong with linear FPS, or linear games in general for that matter. Personally, I adore them - nothing gives me more of a rush and a sense of accomplishment than powering from point A to point B, without having to worry about potentially missing any side quests, ancillary areas or other locations.

I'm about halfway through The Old Blood, and am enjoying it so far. It brings to mind Spear of Destiny and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Without sounding prudish, I'm happy to see the sex scenes gone, because I could never see BJ - our rugged, real American Hero TM - going from slaughtering Nazis by the dozen to tenderly confessing his love for a woman with his jocks wrapped about his ankles. And while I really appreciated how MachineGames injected such a strong and emotive story into TNO, I'm actually loving TOB's renewed focus on unrelenting action. To me, that's what a good Wolfenstein game should be all about (which is what Wolfenstein 2009 did so well, IMO).

Oh, and that gruesome choice in TNO? The first time around, I couldn't muster enough courage to make the decision, and was shocked into disbelief that the game was forcing me to make such choice (it reminded me of a heart-wrenching decision you have to make in Mass Effect). I could barely bring myself to choose the second time. Well played MachineGames. I'll also add that the graphics in TOB look stunning, in particular the outdoor cliffside areas, and finally put Id Tech 5 to good use.
Old 10 January 2016, 10:46   #3475
neil324

Quake, through ProQuake. Really enjoying it. Never played this back in the day.

Will then play Powerslave, there was a PC version back in the day but it's pants, there has been a PC port of the PSX1 version by a coder called Powerslave EX. I did play this back in the day on the PSX1 and loved it, didn't complete it though.
Old 10 January 2016, 15:57   #3476
turrican9

Been playing abit of various games on my real Amigas. One game I really enjoy is The Chaos Engine (Enjoy ECS version over the AGA version). Never think I actually had or tried it back in the day (1991 to about 1995). Also enjoying various other games like James Pond 2, Pirates! and alot of others. Mostly doing whdload on my Amigas but managed to save over 130 (think I originally had over 200) of my old Amiga diskettes that formatted with X-copy pro validated with no errors and I also repaired my floppy drives. Main problem was corroded detection/read/write switches. So will do some good old floppy gaming too.
Old 10 January 2016, 21:29   #3477
gonzo
Greetings from Aachen

Actually Shadowgate, I want to play all Adventures from ICOM Simulations
Old 20 January 2016, 19:20   #3478
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmiq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Respect, I think I put too many hours into that game before full Steam integration to be able to still pull that off Remains a fun game though, I still haven't even seen all of the 1.3 stuff yet.
Respect to both of you...

I am at 50% and probably will continue playing this game, as I got hooked. Right now preparing stage for WoF. Tried few times to get it, but at last part too often run into underworld buildings...

Took some time to learn how to manage inventory and base and properly fish...

Any hints/tips?

EDIT: Never mind with WoF - past that stage, and on hardmode instead of normal... Played until first world death last night...

Last edited by Anubis; 21 January 2016 at 16:26.
Old 22 January 2016, 08:48   #3479
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

a) build a long-ass straight bridge in the underworld. And I mean LONG (during this building time you can collect plenty of dolls too)
b) have a repeating gun with meteor shots; if you have the space gun that makes a cool combo with a specific set of armor so it doesn't use up mana
c) make sure you have the boots to run faster
d) MURDER IT

Be afraid, be very afraid: when you kill the Wall of Flesh hard mode enters into the picture and a large chunk of your world automatically becomes corrupted / crimsoned - and that stuff spreads like the plague. If you're doing a lot of creative building in a world, that can seriously undermine your work. But there is such a wonderful tool as T-Edit so you can copy/paste stuff between worlds.

If you're that into the game, we really should co-op up sometime when my internet at home has been fixed :/ (hopefully Monday).
Old 22 January 2016, 15:57   #3480
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I did pass WoF after creating long bridge in underworld and clearing some paths (mostly buildings). Still took couple of tries until I got it done, and as you said, game turned rather ugly after that. First goblin invasion I died over 20 times in a row.

Need to look for new gear, as this one is apparently insufficient.

As for co-op... at the time I play, you are usually in bed. It is also hard to know when I will have time to play with kidz, wife and exercise we do now every day. (it is usually couple short(er) sessions throughout a day. Thank you for offer!!

Last edited by Anubis; 22 January 2016 at 17:14.