English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 June 2015, 09:27   #3401
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Ah yes, instant spawning is a huge design flaw. You'd think that game designers learn that after making it a hundred times.
Old 06 June 2015, 23:20   #3402
Sluggs

Amiga: Super Stardust/Super Methane Brothers/Banshee all from The Company

PC (Netbook): Max Payne 1/Deus Ex GOTY/Shadow Man/Heavy Metal: FAKK 2/Doom 95

My beloved PC died not too long back, so I'm stuck using a borrowed Netbook, so no more Skyrim/Oblivion for me!
Old 06 June 2015, 23:33   #3403
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggs View Post
My beloved PC died not too long back, so I'm stuck using a borrowed Netbook, so no more Skyrim/Oblivion for me!
No Skyrim sucks No peecee sucks, too
Old 07 June 2015, 22:38   #3404
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Currently playing The Game

and i think i just lost it...
Old 08 June 2015, 09:34   #3405
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Played through Monkey Island Special Edition again. Not so much because I wanted to play the game which I can do with my eyes closed by now, but because I wanted to hear the tunes again

The user interface of the HD remake really sucks, minimalistic unresponsive crap. Thank god for keyboard shortcuts.
Old 23 June 2015, 19:46   #3406
Anubis
Retro Gamer

12 Labours of Hercules 2 (done with 1st)
Clicker Heroes (TCD's fault)
Plants vs. Zombies (got all achievements on ipad, will try to do the same on steam, kid is helping with this one )
Old 23 June 2015, 19:53   #3407
DisposableHero

The Settlers, Puzznic (via savestates, stumped by level 8 problem 5.4 right now) and Lotus 2 (onto the really tough final level)
Old 24 June 2015, 08:31   #3408
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisposableHero View Post
Puzznic (via savestates, stumped by level 8 problem 5.4 right now)
Damn, I didn't even ever get that far. But I do love that game.
Old 24 June 2015, 08:37   #3409
Tyball

Dragon Age Inquisition. Don't much care for the story, the characters and the collectathon like aspects.

Every time I get bored of modern AAA titles, I get the urge to play retro games.
I think my second Amiga revival period is starting to kick in.
Old 25 June 2015, 16:38   #3410
DisposableHero

That's funny, I seem to be in a second one too -didn't even have WinUAE for years but the last six months I've been really busy on it.

Never got anywhere near level 8 of Puzznic on a real Amiga without savestates, although even after I had an A1200 I still went back to it on the old A500 (which technically was given to my brother but we shared). It was one of the first games I had with my A500, fond memories of trying to play it while in plaster. Really should check out the apparently-very-similar Pick N Pile from UbiSoft too.

Last edited by DisposableHero; 25 June 2015 at 16:54.
Old 27 June 2015, 23:28   #3411
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Far Cry 3. Ultimately its almost like Far Cry 2 but without endlessly respawning enemies and with the ability to travel through the air (which is epic). So you can go wild and liberate all the camps over the islands, and that completely takes the sting out of the game; you'll be running around an island resort, free of any challenge.

BORING! Give me the respawning enemies of Far Cry 2 any day, at least you have something to shoot or mow down with your car.

Still, if you don't waste too much time collecting useless junk its a pretty solid shooty experience with a lot of freedom and some well written dialogue. Just a tip: learn to love the rocket launcher as soon as you can, and upgrade to be able to take down armored enemies as soon as you can. This game really invites you to blow stuff up, so do it.
Old 29 June 2015, 08:33   #3412
ransom1122

Batman: Arkham Knight Xbox One
Old 13 July 2015, 10:20   #3413
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Working my way through a backlog.

Alien: Isolation - Status: not finished, will finish eventually.
Reason: Its a really good game atmospherically - its a rather poor game otherwise. The game nails the atmosphere and tension of the original movie to a great deal and that is amazing.

But after a few hours of play you have to realize you're just doing the exact same thing but just with more of the Alien constantly on your back, which becomes more of a routine rather than a challenge; hide under bed, wait until you here the clank clank sound of the alien going into vents, crawl further, rinse and repeat until you reach your goal. I got pretty fed up with it once the sting was out of the game because I learned how the AI of the Alien and the other enemies can be manipulated. Will finish some day, but right now I'm looking for something that is a rich atmospheric experience AND fun to play.

the Witcher 2 - Status: not finished, won't finish.
... Jesus this game sucks in hindsight (when it was released I found it acceptable but my computer couldn't really run it properly). I loved the Witcher 1 with all its quirkiness, but this one just plays like a turd. Wonky controls is what kills it for me; I tried with both XBox 360 controller and keyboard + mouse, the controller is actually worse as you simply don't have enough buttons for quick selections and you're left with making selections in quick-select menus.

I am just so done with this style of "menu-gameplay" - as in to play the game you're constantly making choices in menus or pressing buttons to switch things around - and in my case regularly pressing the wrong buttons for further aggravation. I was on the mission to complete it before playing the Witcher 3, but I'm just not going to expose myself to this any further, its not worth fighting against the game's systems for 30+ hours.

Bioshock: Infinite - Status: loving it, living it
Grmbl, and then the basic FPS game is the one I'm loving, I feel shame This game is way too easy, but screw that. I love the world design which is basically a giant roller coaster in the sky, and I'm madly in love with the voice acting and the character design; it is the constant banter that is woven into the game's progression that really gives you the feeling that you're living in the world and no amount of invisible walls and scripted progression can yank you out of it.

EDIT: and possibly the best ending to a game I've ever seen. I don't know who wrote this, but this person needs to educate Hollywood.

But other than that, its a really standard but certainly slick FPS with special godly powers thrown in for good measure that holds your hand at every corner. You play this for the roller coaster experience and the story and little else.

Last edited by gimbal; 14 July 2015 at 09:19.
Old 13 July 2015, 11:00   #3414
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Still playing World of Warcraft. Currently doing hardcore Apexis crystal grinding

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
the Witcher 2 - Status: not finished, won't finish.
... Jesus this game sucks in hindsight (when it was released I found it acceptable but my computer couldn't really run it properly). I loved the Witcher 1 with all its quirkiness, but this one just plays like a turd. Wonky controls is what kills it for me; I tried with both XBox 360 controller and keyboard + mouse, the controller is actually worse as you simply don't have enough buttons for quick selections and you're left with making selections in quick-select menus.

I am just so done with this style of "menu-gameplay" - as in to play the game you're constantly making choices in menus or pressing buttons to switch things around - and in my case regularly pressing the wrong buttons for further aggravation. I was on the mission to complete it before playing the Witcher 3, but I'm just not going to expose myself to this any further, its not worth fighting against the game's systems for 30+ hours.
Did you look for mods on the Nexus? I don't have the game, but they seem to have quite a few mods for it. Perhaps some of them can fix the problems.
Old 13 July 2015, 11:16   #3415
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I'd rather play games that are already fun from the beginning and mods add to it to be honest.
Old 13 July 2015, 11:31   #3416
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I'd rather play games that are already fun from the beginning and mods add to it to be honest.
I'd rather fix something and enjoy it instead of letting it go to waste. That is, if it can be fixed, of course.
Old 25 July 2015, 06:52   #3417
ransom1122

Finished Batman Arkham Knight on xbone

Currently playing Game of Thrones Episode 5, Zen Pinball 2 All Tables & Pro Pinball Arcade All Tables.

Looking forward to next week releases

King's Quest Ep.1
Life is Strange Ep.4

Last edited by ransom1122; 25 July 2015 at 09:22.
Old 25 July 2015, 07:19   #3418
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Half way through Assassins Creed Rogue. Some good twists to the story.
Old 25 July 2015, 12:41   #3419
twenty90seven
twenty90seven

Rocket League on ps4. Fantastic sports multiplayer game, all about anticipation and timing.
Old 27 July 2015, 10:29   #3420
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The Thief reboot.

I have a love/hate relationship with that game. You have to see this game as something entirely new and not try to relate it to the classic trilogy which is unbeatable. It does some things quite well, but for everything it does well there is always a disappointing design flaw.

This game is a true thieving simulation, you're really stealing stuff like a thief would do it and that's great - especially in missions loot is hidden in the craziest places, the level design is quite well done. But that stealing has to go with all kinds of slow repetitive animations so you spend too many seconds just doing nothing watching your hands do stuff, over and over again. It gets tiring. On top of that too many containers are locked and need lockpicking, even in areas where there is absolutely no threat of being discovered, so its just an annoying slow-down. The lockpicking minigame isn't exactly a brain-teaser.

Visually the game is great, you really feel like you're running around in a medieval town (could have used a little more steampunk) with plenty of nooks and crannies and hidden paths. But the audio is utter crap, all voices are played at full volume all the time so even a conversation that is happening at the end of the street you're in, still sounds like it is happening right in front of you :/

And yeah... its easy to fail and be spotted - which is good as otherwise the game would be no challenge, but when that happens in a mission its basically reload last save and try again. Not because you can't escape, the AI is the typical forgetful kind that you see in modern stealth games. But because the game visually ridicules you upon completing the mission for being spotted even once, going as far as to claim that you failed as a thief. Reloading a hundred times however not only saves a lot of waiting time for the AI to cool down, it also nets you great applause upon mission completion.

The game is certainly worth your time for 10 bucks, but I can imagine that people who paid the full price felt robbed.

EDIT: after having played this game for many hours, its mostly love and little hate Good game, plenty of variety. But the hub world is more annoying than ever, once you've been through it once there is little else to do so you're just crossing known territory over and over again, dodging the same guards on the same patrol routes.

Last edited by gimbal; 03 August 2015 at 09:58.