English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 06 June 2020, 10:44   #3361
PeterK

Hello pcotter,

in the Aros version the option "IconsToFastMem" is already built-in (always enabled now). But it's still important to make the copying of deficons from ENVARC:Sys to ENV:Sys possible again in the startup-sequence by commenting out the last part of the copy arguments ("PAT ...") as explained in my readme. And you can use the DefIcons v44+ tool in the WBStartup drawer and ENVARC:deficons.prefs, just the DefIcons preferences program doesn't work on Aros yet.

Yes, the memory loss did only occur with the Custom Dragging Routines, which is fixed now, but I think even on Aros 68k they are faster when you use my option DOnoColorMapping and if you like, HoldTCbuffer1 too, as recommended.

My option DOnoColorMapping indeed needs the Custom Dragging to show correct looking selected icons and it also activates the icon loading speed-up which mainly comes from my UnderCover mode for the late 2. image uncompressing, (plus the JitColorReduction and the delayed color mapping on non-RTG), and it enables the TrueColor buffer1. Just have a try, but if you don't like these options you won't need to use them. At least on AmigaOS + P96 + DOpus5 it's a lot faster with all these options and the dragged icons are in TrueColor (without Alpha), not just poor planar images.

Last edited by PeterK; 06 June 2020 at 11:51.
Old 06 June 2020, 11:26   #3362
AMIGASYSTEM

Peter I don't use Dopus5 on AROS One 68k and the icons look good, "IconCopier", "IconCopy" and "IconType" also work well.
As you recommended I use "Assign Add ENV: ENVARC:".

Do you think I should add some commands to improve something?

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 08 June 2020 at 23:02.
Old 06 June 2020, 11:48   #3363
PeterK

Thanks Carlo for your hints concerning IconCopy and IconCopier, which didn't try out yet. Just installed the latest Aros 68k build yesterday, but as always only for testing.

So, no, as a non-user I don't have any tips how to improve Aros and Wanderer with other tools, but I'm still waiting for the day they will fix the background glitches of dragged icons in the non-RTG modes and I also have graphical bugs when Themes AND overwriting Zune settings are both enabled.
Old 06 June 2020, 12:37   #3364
AMIGASYSTEM

Peter if you want to test my updated AROS One I can attach the Hardfile, you will find it very "amigoso".
Old 06 June 2020, 13:37   #3365
PeterK

Hmm, that sounds a bit like "Amiga Mafioso", but excuse me for my poor Italian vocabulary.

Ok, why not testing your Aros One, maybe I can find some interesting tools or learn from your configuration tricks. But not more than 1 GB please, I don't like bloated distros.
Old 06 June 2020, 23:44   #3366
AMIGASYSTEM

No "Mafia" is an ugly word and offensive to Italians. "Amigoso" we use it in Italy to indicate an application of other OS that has the Amiga style

In the Preview of AROS One 68k (Zip Archive 598MB, unpacked HDF 1GB), you will find renamed a couple of native Aros Libraries to make AROS more compatible with OS3 applications, for the same reason there are other native OS3 libraries.

To start the HardFile use my WinUAE Config and the attached AROS ROMs (they are the latest)

AROS One 68k Config WinUAE and ROM AROS 68k:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18eb...ew?usp=sharing

AROS One 68k v1.2 Preview:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z07...ew?usp=sharing

Amoroso (boyfriend)
Giocoso (like to play)
Virtuoso (Virtuous)
Goloso (Gourmet)
Gustoso (Tasty)
Geloso (Jealous)
Vistoso (Showy)
Grandioso (Grandiose)
Meraviglioso (Marvellous)

There are many Italian words that end in "OSO"

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 07 June 2020 at 00:26.
Old 07 June 2020, 10:41   #3367
PeterK

Of course, I knew and understood that you would mean "in Amiga OS style" or something similar, but no online translator like Google, Deepl or Bing could find the correct Italian translation. Sometimes they detected the Spanish, English or Portuguese language as the origin for that word "Amigoso", but never Italian, so I decided to translate it myself with my own individual, but less serious interpretation. Thanks for your quick lesson in Italian linguistic.

Ok, I've downloaded your distro and will report later.
Old 07 June 2020, 11:23   #3368
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes you can't find "Amigoso" on the Italian vocabulary because it's a term we invented "Amighisti". also a term to indicate who uses Amiga

AMIGA -> Spanish "Friend"

AMICA -> Italian "Friend" (Woman)
AMICO -> Italian "Friend" (Man)
AMICI -> Italian "Friends" (Plural)

AMICA Famous Italian Fashion Newspaper

There are many names used on Amiga Software that have Italian names for example SCALA

Also LOCALE is an Italian word that indicates the place where you live, or room used for trade (Shop, Garage, Dancing etc..).

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 07 June 2020 at 12:25.
Old 07 June 2020, 17:31   #3369
PeterK

Well, then Kickstart Rom seems to be an Italian word, too ...

At my first glance to your Aros One 68k I've seen that you didn't reactivate the copying of deficons from ENVARC:Sys to ENV:Sys as mentioned in my previous post for pcotter. And you could also add some keymap files from WinUAE to Devs:Keymaps with support for the PCs, not only for Amiga keyboards. Then I missed the theme for OS 3.x, didn't know what I should do with all the others, except deleting them. And I don't like the default Wanderer settings with automatic icon sorting, too large spaces between them, alignment to a grid etc, but that are just my personal tastes, the same as the AmigaOS style arrangement of cascading windows, which I still prefer instead of this strange Wanderer habit to open all sub drawers in the same window again, and if you click on the close gadget (not the return button) then all parents get closed too.

But I found at least one thing which works better, it's that Themes enabled and the "overwriting of Zune settings" does not cause graphical glitches with your configuration. I'll have to examine that, maybe there is something that requires a higher CPU than the 020 in my WinUAE config, although that should not happen with a standard installation.

Update: Yes indeed, Appearance "Override Zune configuration" needs a 040 CPU at least. That should better support a 020 or 030, too.

Last edited by PeterK; 07 June 2020 at 19:08.
Old 07 June 2020, 18:19   #3370
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes the aconym, ROM is not an Italian word .

Yes, I don't like the automatic arrangement either, but it keeps everything in order.

As you recommended the command "Assign Add ENV: ENVARC:" is in the user-startup and it seemed to me that everything worked fine, I hope I haven't done something wrong now I'll check it out.

For the Keymaps I hadn't noticed, AROS One is based on the Nightly Build where there are no Keymaps (on Aros One there are no copyrighted OS3 parts).

By the way Replace the "xadmaster.library" otherwise you don't get UnARC, this application requires v13 native AROS 68k (.ELF), I enclose library

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 08 June 2020 at 11:35.
Old 07 June 2020, 18:27   #3371
PeterK

Sorry, didn't notice your Assign from ENV: back to ENVARC:, but not sure if that is a good idea under all circumstances.

Thanks for the xadmaster.library.
Old 07 June 2020, 19:05   #3372
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes I just forgot to comment "PAT ...", when I update with a new Nightly Build the Startup-sequence is overwritten, that's why I prefer to use my commands in the user-startup, useful also for AROS One users so they can't cause problems to the Startup.
Old 08 June 2020, 12:14   #3373
PeterK

I've tested your trick with "Assign ADD ENV: ENVARC:" in a shell with SetEnv test "temporary", SetEnv test SAVE "saved", GetEnv test and Type ENV:test or type ENVARC:Test, and it really seems to work. So, why did people invent env-handler or Happy-Env?

I think your LoadModule Libs:icon.library in the user-startup comes a bit late, because executing all the startup-sequence up to that point wastes a lot of time before a reboot occurs. If you don't want to change the startup-sequence then I would use RemLib instead to avoid the reboot or are there any problems?

The IconCopier has some unusual behavior and can't use deficons as target, but unlike CopyIcon it works at least sometimes on Aros.
Old 08 June 2020, 14:51   #3374
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes "Loadmodule LIBS:icon.library" at the top of the startup-sequence makes the startup-sequence faster even if only a little bit, but as said the startup-sequence can be overwritten, in the user-startup the commands are safe.

Remlib works but the icon.library is not detected.
I still don't understand if AROS has an Icon.library also in ROM besides the one on File ?
Old 08 June 2020, 16:31   #3375
PeterK

Yes, Aros has an icon.library also in Rom, and won't read the one from Libs: without RemLib, which I use at the top of my startup-sequence. Probably RemLib can't remove it later from user-startup, because IPrefs has already loaded the built-in icon.library into the library list and keeps it opened.
Old 08 June 2020, 17:00   #3376
AMIGASYSTEM

On AROS One 68k "RemLib >NIL: icon.library" before setpatch works well, only I don't notice the difference even without this command !
Old 08 June 2020, 17:34   #3377
PeterK

Just some examples from my Aros 68k system with Kens Icons, DOpus5 and on a 256 color screen, although Aros' palette settings for the GUI are still bad. (I've seen that you use your own colors in the user-startup)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ArosKensIcons.png
Views:	131
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	67657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IconLibKensIcons.png
Views:	126
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	67658   Click image for larger version

Name:	ArosDOpus5.png
Views:	104
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	67659   Click image for larger version

Name:	IconLibDOpus5.png
Views:	112
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	67660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aros256colors.png
Views:	129
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	67661  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IconLib256colors.png
Views:	124
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	67662  
Old 08 June 2020, 21:42   #3378
midwan

@PeterK
Thanks for the continous updates in the IconLib project!

I was testing the latest beta version, with the included DOpus 5.83 executable and your recommended tools running in the startup.

I noticed one glitch, so far:
- If you drag an icon on top of an open Shell window, the icon image stays there forever afterwards.

Is this a known issue?
Old 08 June 2020, 21:48   #3379
midwan

I also found a second issue:
- If while using Opus you quickly click-drag-drop an icon, the icon is moved to the new location as expected but there's also a copy left in the previous one.

Doesn't happen with "slower" drag-n-drop operations, but only if you do it quickly enough.
Old 09 June 2020, 00:56   #3380
pipper

[mention]midwan [/mention] I recently fixed a drag’n’drop issue with DOpus that would leave corrupted images behind:

https://github.com/mheyer32/dopus5al...b06d1212d01dd0

Maybe that’s what you’re experiencing