English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 May 2023, 00:58   #301
abu_the_monkey

when I comment out the unrecognised extension it doesn't crash, just dumps me back to workbench.

I will keep at it, probably something I am doing wrong
Old 17 May 2023, 01:08   #302
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu_the_monkey View Post
tokenised
Damn. That makes it trickier to put under version control, which I was going to suggest. I had hoped AMOS Pro would've used plain text.

Last edited by Karlos; 17 May 2023 at 01:18.
Old 17 May 2023, 01:20   #303
abu_the_monkey

the 2 extensions I have that may be out of sorts are the one I mentioned earlier, Turbo_Plus and os_dev_kit, however it looks like the missing extension is something to do with a call to convert a sound sample (proc samp2fib).

still it is probably something right in front of my face that I just can't see.
Old 17 May 2023, 02:13   #304
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
Someone (Korban?) mentioned an editor implemented in blitz. I wasn't sure if that was just misremembering leveled though.
Gloom Editor was in blitz also maybe Breathless?
Old 17 May 2023, 04:11   #305
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
Damn. That makes it trickier to put under version control, which I was going to suggest. I had hoped AMOS Pro would've used plain text.
If you don't use embedded banks in the executable you can list an entire AmosPro source to disk by highlighting the program as a block and using ASCII exporter menu item. You can also load it back in using ASCII merge.
Old 17 May 2023, 10:46   #306
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
If you don't use embedded banks in the executable you can list an entire AmosPro source to disk by highlighting the program as a block and using ASCII exporter menu item. You can also load it back in using ASCII merge.
Maybe there's a tool that can just convert between the tokenised code and plaintext. Being able to version control the code and edit it in a modern IDE is pretty important I'd you want to get stuff done quickly and reliably.
Old 17 May 2023, 21:29   #307
abu_the_monkey

found some tools on github that may be useful, time will tell.
Old 17 May 2023, 21:35   #308
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
thanks, I had read about that somewhere in the 'coders,amos' section of the forum and it does work, but I still have to sort out the extensions before it reads correct? can't see how amos would know what the missing extension was when importing the ascii text back.
Old 17 May 2023, 22:55   #309
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Well, in the worst case, you could still use version control, you just can't inspect individual changes.

I think what we truly need is a open editor, written in something more maintained and accessible.
Old 18 May 2023, 00:19   #310
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
I think what we truly need is a open editor, written in something more maintained and accessible.
totally agree.

leved303 is a single 12655 line lump of code (without whatever the extensions add). fun fun fun

Need to get it to build first and worry about that later

example:

Global UZH(),ZPBR(),ZRG(),ZFG(),ZWG(),WD(),ZD(),DC(),UZRG(),UZFG(),UZWG()

I can have a guess at what some of these variable are but there is line after line of them declared at the start.

Last edited by abu_the_monkey; 18 May 2023 at 00:27.
Old 18 May 2023, 01:07   #311
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

@Hungry Horace had tried to make a text represented AmosPro editor for purposes of version control. I don't know how far he got with it.
Old 18 May 2023, 08:52   #312
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
totally agree.

leved303 is a single 12655 line lump of code (without whatever the extensions add). fun fun fun
Personal projects often get a bit unwieldy, but you'd like to think that at some point you'd check yourself and begin to break it down into smaller pieces. That's the same sort of size as hires.s!
Old 18 May 2023, 09:00   #313
Karlos
Alien Bleed

On a different note, since a C enabled version is now a reality, I've been giving some thought to a deeper modding experience that could go way beyond what is possible with the current basic game linker tool.

What I propose is the definition of a .library specification that defines a high level interface. The game attempts to load this library from the mod directory if it exists. If it does exist, the engine uses functions in the library for various behaviours instead of relying on the old built-in ones.

This would allow mods to provide entirely new behaviours for aliens, etc. This requires a lot of thought on how the game would expose state to the library and how and where the functions of the library are invoked.

Obviously this is a stretch goal, but one that I think would be very worthwhile. Any programming language that can be used to build a valid AmigaOS library could be used.
Old 18 May 2023, 12:13   #314
Dunny

Quote:
the 2 extensions I have that may be out of sorts are the one I mentioned earlier, Turbo_Plus and os_dev_kit, however it looks like the missing extension is something to do with a call to convert a sound sample (proc samp2fib).

still it is probably something right in front of my face that I just can't see.
Dunno if this is related to it or what - it has ADF disk images so may be of use?

https://github.com/cbmeeks/TurboPlusSceneEditor
Old 18 May 2023, 13:25   #315
Karlos
Alien Bleed

If possible, I'd work around that by disabling the Fibonacci conversion in the editor. No memory is ever saved by using the Fibonacci delta compression in the game anyway since it decompresses the sounds on loading.
Old 18 May 2023, 14:08   #316
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Today's lunch break, I need to get rid of the deprecated textures from level M...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	holodeck.png
Views:	49
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	79041  
Old 18 May 2023, 20:40   #317
abu_the_monkey

I have now managed to build leved303 and it works (minus the samp2fib converter)
Old 18 May 2023, 21:37   #318
abu_the_monkey

@Karlos

here is the first new release of LevelED since 1998

the only change is that when you select 'save level' from the title bar menu it auto selects an empty tool button and so avoiding a crash/lockup

I think I am still missing the 'DOOM music' extension which is why the samp2fib is not working

also there is a 10 second pause when you start the editor as I am using what seems to be a demonstration version of the 'os dev kit' extension
It does not seem to be limited in its functionality but I have not tested very much yet.

Last edited by abu_the_monkey; 11 June 2023 at 23:34.
Old 18 May 2023, 22:02   #319
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Excellent work!

Over lunch and just after the grind, I replaced half of holodeck M. There's still a fair amount to go, but it's mostly rid of it now. I pushed to the branch as always.
Old 18 May 2023, 22:05   #320
abu_the_monkey

top stuff