English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 25 August 2013, 11:56   #301
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Ah, on OS X... yes, I managed to reproduce the problem, the "spin control" in FS-UAE Launcher does not behave properly there it seems. I though you used Windows, but that was of course TCD's screenshot...

EDIT: fixed

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 25 August 2013 at 12:09.
Old 25 August 2013, 17:13   #302
yesplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
EDIT: fixed
Old 26 August 2013, 21:51   #303
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

FS-UAE 2.3.6dev

A new development version has been released. Changes in FS-UAE 2.3.6dev:
  • Joystick indices (for use with custom input mapping) were skewed due to the new mouse devices (fixed).
  • Swapped display order of mouse and joystick ports, call them “Joystick Port” and “Mouse Port” instead of Joystick Port 0/1.
  • Fade in when starting FS-UAE, looks better when using themes since the graphics won’t just suddently pop out.
  • (Launcher) Search-as-you type has returned.
  • (Launcher) Show homepage_url, thelegacy_url in links menu.
  • (Launcher) Swapped display order of mouse and joystick ports.
  • (Launcher) Spin controls did not work properly on OS X.
  • (Launcher) Handle importing kickstarts from the kickstarts dir gracefully.
  • (Game Center) Don’t create ~/Documents (unless needed) and ~/Games.
Old 26 August 2013, 21:53   #304
rsl

Quote:
Alright, confirmed (It just didn't occur to me that people would import *from* the kickstarts folder. I'll fix! The fix is more or less what jbl007 suggested, except paths should also be normalized before comparing
Great, thanks! never underestimate my stoopidness!

Quote:
A new development version has been released. Changes in FS-UAE 2.3.6dev [...]
Woohoo!

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 26 August 2013 at 22:02. Reason: Merged posts :)

Old 27 August 2013, 17:12   #305
Goingdown

Testing again new version, and I realized small bug in launcher (2.3.6dev)

When I press Home or End key, I got following error message:

Code:
Unhandled exception detected in thread MainThread:
  ValueError:itemview.py:onKeyPressEvent:808

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/fsui/wx/itemview.py", line 808, in onKeyPressEvent
    self.typingsearchstr += chr(char)
ValueError: chr() arg not in range(256)"
Also, PageUP and PageDown keys seem to work somehow wonky.
Old 29 August 2013, 00:01   #306
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
Still waiting for FS-UAE 2.3.6dev in (K)Ubuntu repo
Old 29 August 2013, 06:34   #307
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingdown View Post
Also, PageUP and PageDown keys seem to work somehow wonky.
Home and End don't work here either, but I get no error. PageUp doesn't seem to work at all and PageDown jumps to the end right away if I start from an entry after B... if that makes any sense.
Old 31 August 2013, 17:38   #308
Dic_Ray

Quote:
A new development version has been released. Changes in FS-UAE 2.3.5dev:
  • (Launcher) Better support for .7z (where available), but very inefficient, works best for having a few ADFs in each .7z archive, not WHDLoad archives.
What exactly does "(where available)" mean? Do I have to copy the 7z exe and dll files into the main Directory? If so, which Version of 7-zip (9.20 or 9.30 alpha) and which files exactly. I gave it a try an it takes a lot of hours and I had to interupt. Btw where I could get these single files for the Mac OS X Version?

I guess the old crash, whichs occurs, if I scanded lha files, has gone. God pless you.
Old 31 August 2013, 19:26   #309
jbl007

Custom uae_* options do not apply from Host.fs-uae in 2.3.6dev.
I need to update my scripts.
Old 02 September 2013, 11:32   #310
yesplease

Quote:

Swapped display order of mouse and joystick ports, call them “Joystick Port” and “Mouse Port” instead of Joystick Port 0/1.

That change got me. My mouse was not moving anymore with the existing settings from previous version 2.3.5. My fault, I just did not take the change 'Swapped display order of mouse and joystick ports' too serious and was wondering why the mouse still specified in first position was not reacting anymore.

My advise would be to name the selection controls separately, give them each an own title. I.e. give the joystick port the title “Joystick Port” and give the mouse port below the title “Mouse Port”.
Otherwise it is just not really clear where to plug in the mouse. At the moment the section with the two selection controls share a common title called 'joystick & mouse ports'.

Otherwise, nice version for me, spin control bug is definitly fixed! I am happy!
Old 03 September 2013, 20:32   #311
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingdown View Post
Testing again new version, and I realized small bug in launcher (2.3.6dev) When I press Home or End key, I got following error message:
Hi, that error has been there for a while actually (I just forgot)

But I am now almost done porting FS-UAE Launcher to QT (pyside), which will be used instead of wxPython going forward, and the problem will disappear in connection with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul View Post
Still waiting for FS-UAE 2.3.6dev in (K)Ubuntu repo
Hmm.. an oops in the publish script, 2.3.6dev-packages are submitted to the Canonical build farm and should be available soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dic_Ray View Post
What exactly does "(where available)" mean? Do I have to copy the 7z exe and dll files into the main Directory? If so, which Version of 7-zip (9.20 or 9.30 alpha) and which files exactly. I gave it a try an it takes a lot of hours and I had to interupt. Btw where I could get these single files for the Mac OS X Version?
I meant if the 7z program is available on the system. If you can open a terminal/console, type 7z<enter> and it does not complain about command not found, then 7z is available as far as the Launcher is concerned. Mind you, the feature was implemented by a request, and is not very efficient (the archive is reopened per extracted file). So using it for archived directory hard drives will be very slow. Using it to extract a few ADFs should be fine though.

Also, using 7z may be slow if there's a large amount of files in an archive. If you use 7z, I'd suggest using to to archive up all disks belong to a game in a single format, but not put the entire disk collection in one archive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dic_Ray View Post
I guess the old crash, whichs occurs, if I scanded lha files, has gone. God pless you.
I didn't do anything (still on my todo list), must be a lucky accident that it works...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl007 View Post
Custom uae_* options do not apply from Host.fs-uae in 2.3.6dev.
I need to update my scripts.
This sounded like a bug, and I looked the code -but it turns out that it has always worked this way. The code that loads the uae_* options re-opens the config file and parses it again. I don't remember why I implemented it this way... -possibly to support uae options, some of which can be repeated (in contrast to .fs-uae options which can not be repeated - repeating an option will replace the previous value).

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesplease View Post
That change got me. My mouse was not moving anymore with the existing settings from previous version 2.3.5.
Have been thinking about this change for a while, but I think it is for the better in the long run. I think the joystick port is the primary port for most use cases (and thus deserve the top spot), and it is also a bit easier to think about the 4 (5) input ports on the input port game when there is a correspondence between input port order and player number

But only the *display order* has been changed, nothing else. So old configs should work like before (?) If not, there's a bug. Do you have an example config where FS-UAE Launcher gets confused about the device order?

Quote:
My advise would be to name the selection controls separately, give them each an own title. I.e. give the joystick port the title “Joystick Port” and give the mouse port below the title “Mouse Port”.
Otherwise it is just not really clear where to plug in the mouse. At the moment the section with the two selection controls share a common title called 'joystick & mouse ports'.
Yes, I only changed the title to include the words Joystick & Mouse in the same order as the input boxes. I'll see what I can do to make it even more clear without making more problems on small displays

Quote:
Otherwise, nice version for me, spin control bug is definitly fixed! I am happy!
Old 03 September 2013, 21:35   #312
yesplease

Quote:
But only the *display order* has been changed, nothing else. So old configs should work like before (?) If not, there's a bug. Do you have an example config where FS-UAE Launcher gets confused about the device order?
No. I am not so sure anymore with my statement, that the old configs did not work. Because I played a lot around with the two mices and compared their different speeds (of course apples mouse was much faster than microsofts). Most likely scenario is that I had both mices connected, and when I started the 2.3.6 version, I plugged the mouse in the second position off and switched to game controller, not knowing by then that it was the mouse port since you swapped it. This is most reasonable for me now, don't you think so? But I will see whether I can restore the old config with time machine… But most likely its not a bug, but my confusion.

EDIT: where does the launcher write the config ? Can't find anything in the Configuration files. There is a launcher.sqlite file should I restore this one ?

Last edited by yesplease; 03 September 2013 at 21:43.
Old 03 September 2013, 21:47   #313
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
I played a lot around with the two mices and compared their different speeds (of course apples mouse was much faster than microsofts)
You'll probably be interested to know I'm planning to include per-mouse speed settings, so you can "calibrate" all your mouse devices to be equally sensitive
Old 04 September 2013, 13:23   #314
yesplease

Quote:
You'll probably be interested to know I'm planning to include per-mouse speed settings, so you can "calibrate" all your mouse devices to be equally sensitive
Oh, you are so nice. But Frode honestly, take your time you don't need to hurry . I made the comment that the Apple-Mouse is faster than the Microsoft-Mouse without the intention to recall you on the possibility of per-mouse settings. It was just fun to see it faster on my AmigaVM, because I think M$ quite often tries to copy Apples (and others methods/products), see latest aquision of Nokias smartphone-device-department, but quite often they come later/slower in the market with their products. I should be no wonder if a Samsung-Mouse in the end is still faster. Successful and faster copying is done much better by other companys like Samsung.
Old 04 September 2013, 18:33   #315
jbl007

Quote:
[...] I looked the code -but it turns out that it has always worked this way.
Ah, ok. Options from Host.fs-uae just get overwritten by options from other configs and even by some fs-uae build in defaults. For example uae_sound_filter_type can't be set to "enhanced" from Host.fs.uae because this setting is applied by default since 2.3.5dev.
If this is the expected behavior > sorry for the wrong bug report.
And sorry for the bug report at all 'cause these options are unsupported anyway.
Old 07 September 2013, 15:36   #316
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

FS-UAE 2.3.7dev

A new development version has been released. Changes in FS-UAE 2.3.7dev:
  • New utility program: fs-uae-device-helper (used by FS-UAE Launcher).
  • (Launcher) pygame is no longer an dependency, joystick event detection for mapping purposes is done via fs-uae-device-helper.
  • (Launcher) Program startup and focus issue should be fixed on OS X.
  • (Launcher) Added language preference page.
  • (Launcher) ADF & HDF Creator split into two, and they are now non-modal.
  • (Launcher) Joystick config tool shows existing config when opening (only when the user has already configured it, bundled config is not shown yet).
  • (Launcher) Joystick device for mapping is selected in joystick prefs.
  • (Launcher) Completed porting to QT (using pyside bindings for Python).
  • (Launcher) Old wxPython GUI layer still exists (–wx) but not 100% updated.
  • (Launcher) Input Settings prefs page split into mouse and keyboard.
  • (Launcher) Fixed bug when choosing a zip with select multiple floppies.
  • (Launcher) Search-as-you type could in some case return multiple entries for the same game.
  • (Launcher) Updated don’t checksum BSD device nodes code [vext01].

The main change here is the change of GUI toolkit for FS-UAE Launcher (wxWidgets -> QT), as well as improved joystick support in FS-UAE Launcher - it should work especially better on Mac OS X where the FS-UAE Launcer startup were a bit awkward earlier.

There are some rough edges still after the transition to QT, and there might even be some bugs left (). I know for example that the program icon may not display on all platforms yet, so no need to report that. Oh, and another thing is that translations may not work that well (esp. on Mac), and I forgot to actually save the language preference on the new language preferences page

Enjoy, ... hopefully

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 07 September 2013 at 15:41.
Old 07 September 2013, 15:46   #317
amigafreak68k

After this update my joystick doesn't show in the prefs...

What I have to do?

System is Mac OS X
Old 07 September 2013, 15:52   #318
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigafreak68k View Post
After this update my joystick doesn't show in the prefs... What I have to do? System is Mac OS X
Ah, some library dependencies are not fixed for the new fs-uae-device-helper program, program probably only works on my dev machine. Will have to make an updated version for OS X
Old 07 September 2013, 15:59   #319
amigafreak68k

Thanks!
Old 07 September 2013, 16:15   #320
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Ah, some library dependencies are not fixed for the new fs-uae-device-helper program, program probably only works on my dev machine. Will have to make an updated version for OS X
Fixed, 2.3.7dev2 (for OS X) is available on the download-devel page.