English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 April 2020, 18:20   #301
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
OK, cool!
You also have a voodoo in that 2nd system? And when did you purchase the Mediator? Mine is one of the first Mk3s. Maybe later ones have been improved.

BTW can you get the 8139 NIC working in AOS4? I thought it only supported the 8029. In my case, with the 8029, networking is terrible in AOS4.1. It works for browsing, but as soon as you want to download files of a few MBs, dowbnloads become very slow and stall in the end. So updating with the updater tool almost always fails for me.
Sorry my mistake, 8029 in the machine with the SF450 and CS PPC, 8139 in the other system. Are you running OS4 Final Edition? The drive for the 8029 should work relatively well. I would not update that driver as later versions don't work so well.

Ok so for my two A4000 Mediators:

Looks like I ordered the Mediator PCI 4000Di 3V MK-III in May of 2016.

The older 5V one (used in the system with the SF450) I don't have records that far back but it looks like it was 2009 or earlier. I seem to recall something about Elbox changing chips/suppliers at some point and some people complained the quality/reliablity wasn't as good in the newer ones. I'd have to search for those posts, I can't recall where I read it. I have to say my "newer" 3.3V one has been fine.

I did have another 5V model that I sent back for repair/replacement to Elbox because it had issues being detected when booting. That was many years ago as well.

Darren
Old 29 April 2020, 19:08   #302
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
BTW can you get the 8139 NIC working in AOS4? I thought it only supported the 8029. In my case, with the 8029, networking is terrible in AOS4.1. It works for browsing, but as soon as you want to download files of a few MBs, dowbnloads become very slow and stall in the end. So updating with the updater tool almost always fails for me.

You have zero problems with a few MB transfers using OS 3.x? I agree, which version of OS 4 are you using? Does it have "Classic" in the Boot Logo or Final Edition? Do you have DHCP being used or static? MTU size is default or you changed it?

Update: FedEx nor UPS update their tracking info well. Ahh, well...today or tomorrow.
Old 29 April 2020, 19:11   #303
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
You have zero problems with a few MB transfers using OS 3.x? I agree, which version of OS 4 are you using? Does it have "Classic" in the Boot Logo or Final Edition? Do you have DHCP being used or static? MTU size is default or you changed it?

Update: FedEx nor UPS update their tracking info well. Ahh, well...today or tomorrow.
I'd recommend Final Edition, I think it's much more polished and stable than 4.1 Classic.

BTW regarding shipping....I'm waiting for about 10 packages from various places...and shipping is crazy slow. One of my packages landed in Canada a month ago and I still don't have it. I may never get it. Tracking updates are not very frequent or reliable. DHL seems to be the worst. You can't even get anyone from that company on the phone and they don't answer emails or if you request a call back they don't even call you back. Not a good time to be ordering stuff.
Old 29 April 2020, 19:43   #304
AC/DC HACKER!

Final Edition might be better. "Crazy slow"..haha, that's a funny expression, like hearing people here say, "I know, right?" which is asking someone ELSE to confirm your confidence of what you know. Odd confidence colloquialism. How can slow be crazy? It's only a speed. Haha! You'll get it, stuff is just slow at times now. FedEx and UPS are just poor at updating their Web Site tracking info. I'm sure my package will arrive at my door today. DHL I wouldn't go with as I hear all kinds of problems about, and I see them around here once in a while. Not like FedEx and UPS though, all over.

Not correct about a ordering stuff. My Neighbors get stuff often..I see a lot of packages being delivered via Amazon. I prefer real cooking so I don't use Grubhub, but I see some of that also. USPS (my preference always..) is delivering very well.

I had Classic Edition before, and it required a lot of updates vs Final Edition. It's not about the updates, it's about function. I think they're probably about the same, Final Edition has all updates in 1 vs Classic has about 5 or 7..? Which is why I wondered about the Network settings.
Old 29 April 2020, 19:56   #305
DarrenHD

Quote:
Final Edition might be better. "Crazy slow"..haha, that's a funny expression, like hearing people here say, "I know, right?" which is asking someone ELSE to confirm your confidence of what you know. Odd confidence colloquialism. How can slow be crazy? It's only a speed. Haha! You'll get it, stuff is just slow at times now. FedEx and UPS are just poor at updating their Web Site tracking info. I'm sure my package will arrive at my door today. DHL I wouldn't go with as I hear all kinds of problems about, and I see them around here once in a while. Not like FedEx and UPS though, all over.

Not correct about a ordering stuff. My Neighbors get stuff often..I see a lot of packages being delivered via Amazon. I prefer real cooking so I don't use Grubhub, but I see some of that also. USPS (my preference always..) is delivering very well.

I had Classic Edition before, and it required a lot of updates vs Final Edition. It's not about the updates, it's about function. I think they're probably about the same, Final Edition has all updates in 1 vs Classic has about 5 or 7..? Which is why I wondered about the Network settings.
Just curious where do you live?
Old 29 April 2020, 20:43   #306
spudje

I have Final Edition Update 1 I believe. Under AOS 3.1.4 downloading works just fine. it's really something of the AOS4.1 network stack or device driver.

Mmm, so your Mediator Mk3 is even older than mine I think. Lucky you don't have any issues with it.
Old 29 April 2020, 20:59   #307
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenHD View Post
Just curious where do you live?

Originally from Sirius. Wink. Strong fascination with that subject, and the subjects around it. For now, located on Earth in Salem, Oregon. You're last part of location is where my favorite band was from.
Old 29 April 2020, 21:09   #308
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
I have Final Edition Update 1 I believe. Under AOS 3.1.4 downloading works just fine. it's really something of the AOS4.1 network stack or device driver.

That's part of what I was considering. My X-Surf 100 doesn't always connect well depending on Router setup and connection with OS 4. I've used some different kind of connection setups and OS 4 goes into affects like it's smoking weed or something (not my scene). But using MiamiDX (OS 3.x) I can get it to connect to the same setups (sometimes I have to play around some).

You believe or you know? Hehe...2 different mind sets. OS 4 has some bugs, for sure. I notice them more with AmigaOne. But if you adore the Amiga and its philosophy they started with, it's all worth it. 95% of the time. Laughter!
Old 30 April 2020, 20:12   #309
AC/DC HACKER!

ATX CS550M arrived, I removed my A4K Original. Connected the CS550M..and didn't want to break the bag of connectors (Modular), so I borrowed from my SF450. Wipeout crashed 6 minutes in, and Payback PPC crashed around 16 minutes in. So, I disconnected the borrowed part and now opening the bag to use the part from the CS550M package. Still PPC crash.

New Amiga-Kit adapter is on the way..
Old 30 April 2020, 20:46   #310
DarrenHD

Quote:
ATX CS550M arrived, I removed my A4K Original. Connected the CS550M..and didn't want to break the bag of connectors (Modular), so I borrowed from my SF450. Wipeout crashed 6 minutes in, and Payback PPC crashed around 16 minutes in. So, I disconnected the borrowed part and now opening the bag to use the part from the CS550M package. Still PPC crash.

New Amiga-Kit adapter is on the way..
Oh crap that sucks
Old 30 April 2020, 21:40   #311
AC/DC HACKER!

Darren, and the rest..who have CS550M and SF450 working for you, do you have all the modular parts connected even if not in use? Do you have anything connected as a "fake" power source? I.E. on but not connected to the Amiga?
Old 30 April 2020, 22:02   #312
DarrenHD

Quote:
Darren, and the rest..who have CS550M and SF450 working for you, do you have all the modular parts connected even if not in use? Do you have anything connected as a "fake" power source? I.E. on but not connected to the Amiga?
I only have the cables connected that I need. The only "extra" thing I have connected is an 80mm fan and a small (5-inch long) LED lighting strip. So I have:

-Motherboard power (via AmigaKit ATX adapter)
-power for Seagate UW SCSI Drive
-power for IDE CDROM Drive
-power for 80MM fan
-power for a LED strip to light inside of case
-I have a couple of power splitters installed as well so I am only using cable for all that power out of the SF450.

My floppy drive is external, it gets power from the external port/motherboard.
Old 30 April 2020, 22:17   #313
AC/DC HACKER!

Okay, so only using the Power connector to Amiga-Kit adapter and the strip with 4 power connectors. Hmm..

I have an IBM UW SCSI I could add to my chain and power. I suppose I could connect a CDROM Drive...Ehh..I'll make that as a last resort. I already have the fan on my CVisionPPC connected. I'm wondering if the Amiga is not causing enough power pull from the ATX to keep the proper push happening. I'll add some devices and check what happens.

Currently I'm running Payback 68K vis OS 4.1.1 with only Picasso Monitor active (CVIsionsPPC still connected to CSPPC) and is at 9 minutes running. I haven't really tested with OS 4 much. I suspect same will happen. I have to go to the Store for a moment, but I'll do so after this text. Then get my UW ready..when I return.

Maybe it's nothing, or maybe it's something. How many splitters are you using? How many of the 4 connectors are being used? Appreciate your continued help.

Update 1: Payback 68K is going for 29 minutes so far, using OS 4's 68K emulator displayed through Picasso 4.

Update 2: 38 minutes.

Darren, you're using CyberGraphX 4 + last update, correct for Wipeout 2097? Are you using stock settings with OS 3.1.4.1? I just now considered I have been using modified settings, so I'm wondering something else to check.

Last edited by AC/DC HACKER!; 30 April 2020 at 22:45.
Old 30 April 2020, 22:54   #314
grelbfarlk

From the power supply I'm just using the ATX connector and two modular to 4 pin HDD cables, with some splitters. The CS550M and SF450 only come with one so I adapted some from older power supplies that had a different pinout.
I never had any success adding an artificial load on 12V to boost the 5V output, even powering a whole 90W laptop from 12V, it didn't seem to make a difference.
Even at a low load you should see very close to 5V output from those PSUs.
Old 30 April 2020, 23:45   #315
DarrenHD

Quote:
Okay, so only using the Power connector to Amiga-Kit adapter and the strip with 4 power connectors. Hmm..

I have an IBM UW SCSI I could add to my chain and power. I suppose I could connect a CDROM Drive...Ehh..I'll make that as a last resort. I already have the fan on my CVisionPPC connected. I'm wondering if the Amiga is not causing enough power pull from the ATX to keep the proper push happening. I'll add some devices and check what happens.

Currently I'm running Payback 68K vis OS 4.1.1 with only Picasso Monitor active (CVIsionsPPC still connected to CSPPC) and is at 9 minutes running. I haven't really tested with OS 4 much. I suspect same will happen. I have to go to the Store for a moment, but I'll do so after this text. Then get my UW ready..when I return.

Maybe it's nothing, or maybe it's something. How many splitters are you using? How many of the 4 connectors are being used? Appreciate your continued help.

Update 1: Payback 68K is going for 29 minutes so far, using OS 4's 68K emulator displayed through Picasso 4.

Update 2: 38 minutes.

Darren, you're using CyberGraphX 4 + last update, correct for Wipeout 2097? Are you using stock settings with OS 3.1.4.1? I just now considered I have been using modified settings, so I'm wondering something else to check.
I am using Picasso 96 (iComp latest version) now with the Mediator installed. GREX is on the shelf...

Just as something to try, have you tried without the CV PPC attached? Maybe it's draining power from the CS PPC....if you have another gfx card to use that is.

Darren
Old 01 May 2020, 02:01   #316
AC/DC HACKER!

I've renamed my HSMath Libraries that replace OS 3.1, 3.5 Math libraries am back to using OS Math libraries, in case that was a problem. I have Wipeout now running. I'm going to do several checks to see what's happening. I also considered something else. Stan in Finland informed me there are 2 different A4K PSU..I have the more expensive to fix. Which, today, as I was wondering some stuff, is using an ATX _like_ using the other PSU? Hmm..

So, with the HSMath disabled, I'll try some different settings with CGX4. Darren, I also have the newer P96 but they don't support CVisionPPC.. I did test that a while ago, although not very well when I first got my SF450. So, I'll remove the (Waaaahhh!! I don't wanna do that! Hehe) CVPPC..and see what happens.

More updates to follow, of course. If any ideas...jump in.

Darren, glad the P96 supports your newer boards.

Update 1: After disabling the HSMath and returning to OS Math libs, Wipeout 2097 has been stable for 54 minutes after the first game. I've played 3 at different times. Also, felt the ATX..and CS550M is running cool compaired to what the SF450 did...it was usually pretty a bit more than mild warm.

Last edited by AC/DC HACKER!; 01 May 2020 at 02:46.
Old 01 May 2020, 02:38   #317
DarrenHD

Quote:
I've renamed my HSMath Libraries that replace OS 3.1, 3.5 Math libraries am back to using OS Math libraries, in case that was a problem. I have Wipeout now running. I'm going to do several checks to see what's happening. I also considered something else. Stan in Finland informed me there are 2 different A4K PSU..I have the more expensive to fix. Which, today, as I was wondering some stuff, is using an ATX _like_ using the other PSU? Hmm..

So, with the HSMath disabled, I'll try some different settings with CGX4. Darren, I also have the newer P96 but they don't support CVisionPPC.. I did test that a while ago, although not very well when I first got my SF450. So, I'll remove the (Waaaahhh!! I don't wanna do that! Hehe) CVPPC..and see what happens.

More updates to follow, of course. If any ideas...jump in.

Darren, glad the P96 supports your newer boards.
OK let us know how it goes. I don't use HS Math libs, just normal AmigaOS 3.1.4 math libraries. I also am using the latest phase-5 060 library, not MMU libs, on my CS PPC system.
Old 01 May 2020, 06:31   #318
AC/DC HACKER!

You shouldn't use HSMath libs with OS 3.1.4(.1). Those libs have been updated, clearly stated in the release info. ~1 minute after 60 it crashed. So I decided to find my DVD-ROM burner, and connect my UW.. Doesn't make a difference with OS 3.5.

I'm currently testing OS 4.1.1 with the hardware connected because I didn't bother to disconnect it yet. At the moment, I'm testing Payback WOS..which you cannot get into cars with...but that's not my aim. I'm curious if the PPC will remain stable without 68zer60 being active. I Am _wondering_ if there's a problem there.

Update: My wonderment of possible 68K isn't it. Or seems not so. I used a small cork just long enough in high and enough cousion to cause slight pressure under the zer060 when connected to the power "bar" while the white plugs are attacked at "back". Same results. I'll keep it there for a little while longer as I continue tests. I switched to an older CF (ejected my SD from SCSI2SD V6) and see if there's a clue there.. Wipeout is running in the bac....Oops..there's the crash sound. Okay, more to do..

Update 2: Every CF and SD Card that functions well with my A4K's original PSU isn't functioning with the SF450 or CS550M with CyberStormPPC. Remove the CVPPC and still the same. Remove the Picasso 4, keep the CVPPC..same. I'm trying with P96 2.0 and newer updates 2.4.x.. CyerbGraphX 4 settings.. Unstable with these ATXs. Only thing that seems the common factor is the Motherboard and Daughter board. Or..it *IS* indeed the overclocking of the PPC. But if overclocking is it, it should crash with original PSU.

I'll continue with ideas...trying to consider the simple to complex. I haven't removed the UW Hard Drive or Optical drive yet. I'm also using an accurate Stopwatch for timing.

Last edited by AC/DC HACKER!; 01 May 2020 at 20:55.
Old 01 May 2020, 21:07   #319
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
I requested a return and refund for my SF450 in the mean time. As when running with the big fan it was on either the original (from a smoking previous owner) or Chucky modded ATX PSUs and so no issues.

How's it going? You're going for the SF600 next? Correct?
Old 01 May 2020, 21:52   #320
DarrenHD

Quote:
You shouldn't use HSMath libs with OS 3.1.4(.1). Those libs have been updated, clearly stated in the release info. ~1 minute after 60 it crashed. So I decided to find my DVD-ROM burner, and connect my UW.. Doesn't make a difference with OS 3.5.

I'm currently testing OS 4.1.1 with the hardware connected because I didn't bother to disconnect it yet. At the moment, I'm testing Payback WOS..which you cannot get into cars with...but that's not my aim. I'm curious if the PPC will remain stable without 68zer60 being active. I Am _wondering_ if there's a problem there.

Update: My wonderment of possible 68K isn't it. Or seems not so. I used a small cork just long enough in high and enough cousion to cause slight pressure under the zer060 when connected to the power "bar" while the white plugs are attacked at "back". Same results. I'll keep it there for a little while longer as I continue tests. I switched to an older CF (ejected my SD from SCSI2SD V6) and see if there's a clue there.. Wipeout is running in the bac....Oops..there's the crash sound. Okay, more to do..

Update 2: Every CF and SD Card that functions well with my A4K's original PSU isn't functioning with the SF450 or CS550M with CyberStormPPC. Remove the CVPPC and still the same. Remove the Picasso 4, keep the CVPPC..same. I'm trying with P96 2.0 and newer updates 2.4.x.. CyerbGraphX 4 settings.. Unstable with these ATXs. Only thing that seems the common factor is the Motherboard and Daughter board. Or..it *IS* indeed the overclocking of the PPC. But if overclocking is it, it should crash with original PSU.

I'll continue with ideas...trying to consider the simple to complex. I haven't removed the UW Hard Drive or Optical drive yet. I'm also using an accurate Stopwatch for timing.
Sorry what is Zer060?

I guess try the bare minimum if you can, but you shouldn't have to. I'm still stable with the SF450 in my setup, although as you pointed out, you haven't swapped the mb and daughterboard .

My motherboard is "new", eg a hese replica of an A4000cr which I got a couple months ago.

I may try swapping it out to my "older" Rev C A4000 motherboard, but I won't do that soon. I'm waiting for a coin battery holder from Amigakit, at which point I will remove that A4000MB and solder on the battery holder. Varta = death

Darren