English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 June 2023, 10:08   #301
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

He has his personal PR troll, Marcio D, for that... unless that's his pseudonym.
Old 14 June 2023, 13:01   #302
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

There have been some facebook messages. I've never met him so I don't know how current / knowledgeable he is but whoever posts with his account certainly knows a thing or two about modern Amigas. Surprising.
Old 14 June 2023, 14:04   #303
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

He has a habit of learning specs and reciting them in conversation, but I'm not sure if this equates to understanding them. A good example is his explanation of what Hombre could have offered. What makes me doubt his grasp of the technology is the claim that there's nothing capable of surpassing it in terms of current hardware. Really? Nearly 30 years on from those proposals? Maybe if it was only ever a pie-in-the-sky fantasy to begin with, that might hold some weight. We can all dream of impossible technology; it doesn't make much sense to compare 1994 pipedreams with 2023 reality.
Old 14 June 2023, 14:20   #304
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
He has a habit of learning specs and reciting them in conversation, but I'm not sure if this equates to understanding them. A good example is his explanation of what Hombre could have offered. What makes me doubt his grasp of the technology is the claim that there's nothing capable of surpassing it in terms of current hardware. Really? Nearly 30 years on from those proposals? Maybe if it was only ever a pie-in-the-sky fantasy to begin with, that might hold some weight. We can all dream of impossible technology; it doesn't make much sense to compare 1994 pipedreams with 2023 reality.
If current hardware is not even able to surpass a hardware from 30 years ago it would be very surprising
Old 14 June 2023, 18:26   #305
Arc Angel

Well, let's face it.
The guy is aging and aging is a shrinkage, as a famous general and then president said ...
Don't be too hard on him, becoming senile goes with the passing years for so many people.
( Some start much earlier than others, I must admit ).
Old 14 June 2023, 18:57   #306
Pyromania

Hombre is so powerful it even beats computers that haven’t come out for the next 30 years. Just kidding of course.

Old 14 June 2023, 19:45   #307
arcanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Hombre is so powerful it even beats computers that haven’t come out for the next 30 years. Just kidding of course.

You won't be laughing when Jay Miner awakens from his Guru Meditation to deliver unto us his Manuscript. Some say it will take the form of a schematic, whose unparalleled beauty will make chip designers weep with joy. Others speak of a single word written upon this great tome: HOMBRE.
Old 14 June 2023, 20:36   #308
d4rk3lf

Quote:
What makes me doubt his grasp of the technology is the claim that there's nothing capable of surpassing it in terms of current hardware. Really? Nearly 30 years on from those proposals?
Yeah, I've noticed that too, when listening to his interview, that he has little to none understanding of Amiga. I remember he once says for Vampire standalone, something like you press button and you get A500, you press button again, and then you get A2000, then A3000, and every Amiga.

It never bothered me, though, although I was wondering how he never got interest in the slightest on why are people so attracted to the Amiga, and what all the fuzz is about.
He is selling books about life and death of the Amiga, shouldn't he be just slightly familiar on what that computer actually is? Especially, if he wanted to spread on different Amiga fields (Aga project).
Old 14 June 2023, 20:50   #309
Reido

Just a thought, but.... now this is all over and he's done the prudent thing and cancelled the Kickstarter, should we look at the possibility of closing this thread? The feedback/constructive criticisms have done their job. No point flogging a dead horse!
Old 14 June 2023, 21:05   #310
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reido View Post
Just a thought, but.... now this is all over and he's done the prudent thing and cancelled the Kickstarter, should we look at the possibility of closing this thread? The feedback/constructive criticisms have done their job. No point flogging a dead horse!
Well, technically, only kickstart project is canceled, and this is a thread about whole Amiga Global Alliance.
That project is not canceled from what I am aware.

David might come up with some other solution.
Old 14 June 2023, 21:14   #311
Reido

This is true.
Old 14 June 2023, 22:02   #312
Sani11

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Yes, I have been waiting on DJP to post on the finer points of assembly or maybe his proposed updates to graphics.library. Maybe he finally finished the plans for RTG in ROM, I am looking forward to slapping that in the RTG socket on my Piccolo or EGS Spectrum or Merlin.
He may have a 8chan 16bit Paula replacement that is all taped out and just needs to get etched.
The graphics.library update has been in the pipeline for a while now, and we all know how critical this could be for our systems. It's a big task and I have full faith in DJP to deliver.
As for the RTG in ROM, just thinking about it makes me excited. It would definitely be a game changer for us Amiga enthusiasts. I've got my EGS Spectrum all ready to see how it could potentially improve performance. I'm really looking forward to testing that out.
Old 14 June 2023, 22:17   #313
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanist View Post
You won't be laughing when Jay Miner awakens from his Guru Meditation to deliver unto us his Manuscript. Some say it will take the form of a schematic, whose unparalleled beauty will make chip designers weep with joy. Others speak of a single word written upon this great tome: HOMBRE.
And they called him Jay Hombre!
Old 15 June 2023, 04:43   #314
grelbfarlk

I think we should go right past Hombre and hit Esse as the next gen, with plans for Muchacho after that.
Old 15 June 2023, 07:33   #315
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Yeah, I've noticed that too, when listening to his interview, that he has little to none understanding of Amiga. I remember he once says for Vampire standalone, something like you press button and you get A500, you press button again, and then you get A2000, then A3000, and every Amiga.

It never bothered me, though, although I was wondering how he never got interest in the slightest on why are people so attracted to the Amiga, and what all the fuzz is about.
He is selling books about life and death of the Amiga, shouldn't he be just slightly familiar on what that computer actually is? Especially, if he wanted to spread on different Amiga fields (Aga project).
I'd assume his part in From Vultures to Vampires is more about his days at Commodore rather than Amiga specifically. He is a marketing/business guy, who isn't necessarily into hardware.
Old 15 June 2023, 11:03   #316
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
He is a marketing/business guy, who isn't necessarily into hardware.
Or software. I'm still a bit puzzled what exactly makes people think he is the right person to create an 'alliance'.
Old 15 June 2023, 11:47   #317
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I think many people are blinded by David's £50m takeover bid and assume this alone is evidence of his passion for the product/community/ethos. On the contrary, I believe it demonstrates his impressive drive for personal achievement in business. The Amiga is irrelevant to the equation.
Old 15 June 2023, 12:03   #318
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I guess you are right. Interestingly enough people seem to have a blind spot to the fact that he paused his passion for over 25 years
Old 15 June 2023, 12:15   #319
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Ha! Yes, there's that too. Holding out for a hero... any dream will do.

What enticed him back to the fold was being invited to an anniversary Amiga event. Unexpected adulation went to his head and he now seemingly can't survive without that reaffirmation of success and relevance. That's human nature and perfectly understandable. What I object to is the way this is being reframed as passion for the cause because it's now beneficial to spin that angle.
Old 15 June 2023, 14:25   #320
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Ha! Yes, there's that too. Holding out for a hero... any dream will do.

What enticed him back to the fold was being invited to an anniversary Amiga event. Unexpected adulation went to his head and he now seemingly can't survive without that reaffirmation of success and relevance. That's human nature and perfectly understandable. What I object to is the way this is being reframed as passion for the cause because it's now beneficial to spin that angle.
He told us that that invitation after 25 years in oblivion was completely unexpected and he could not get why people adore him like a rock star (his words)