English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 April 2019, 23:05   #3141
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULI View Post
Yes, this is Network connector (100/10)

That looks to be a 256 or maybe even a 128MB card. The memory might need to be set up differently than the cards that are working.

Some other differences I can see the ethernet pin header next to the two yellow capacitors next to the heatsink is rotated 90 degrees. The encryption chip which is next to the CPU under the heatsink appears to be QFP rather than BGA like the Ragnarok. This looks like an Apocalypse not a Ragnarok.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 10 April 2019 at 03:15.
Old 10 April 2019, 13:05   #3142
BULI

now, i see photos of card from seller, and compare to real, both cards are different.

I'm in black hole :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
That looks to be a 256 or maybe even a 128MB card. The memory might need to be set up differently than the cards that are working.

Some other differences I can see the ethernet pin header next to the two yellow capacitors next to the heatsink is rotated 90 degrees. The encryption chip which is next to the CPU under the heatsink appears to be QFP rather than BGA like the Ragnarok. This looks like an Apocalypse not a Ragnarok.
Old 10 April 2019, 14:04   #3143
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
now, i see photos of card from seller, and compare to real, both cards are different.

I'm in black hole :-(
Did you get it in a box with a part number? What is this number?
Old 10 April 2019, 18:33   #3144
BULI

No, I haven't box.
Box is in my friend's home in USA (if isn't in the trash)
I have only info on card PCB: 84-W8649F01B FAB REV C
and on barcode sticker nr: 4271069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
Did you get it in a box with a part number? What is this number?
Old 10 April 2019, 19:34   #3145
dayowalker

Hi Buli

I purchased my Ragnarok with the help of trixster. Mine is also different than yours. And I use the 3V Mediator.

But

I know the same error that you describe. By reinstalling as described in the GitHub guide and putting the Ragnarok in most top slot I managed to get it working. Perhaps You must adjust the jumpers too.

So, don‘t give up. It’s a tough journey but worth it.
Old 10 April 2019, 20:53   #3146
BULI

Many thanks for your kind words.

I'm still fighting, but without success, but I don't give up.. yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayowalker View Post
Hi Buli

I purchased my Ragnarok with the help of trixster. Mine is also different than yours. And I use the 3V Mediator.

I know the same error that you describe. By reinstalling as described in the GitHub guide and putting the Ragnarok in most top slot I managed to get it working. Perhaps You must adjust the jumpers too.

So, don‘t give up. It’s a tough journey but worth it.
Old 10 April 2019, 23:10   #3147
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Many thanks for your kind words.

I'm still fighting, but without success, but I don't give up.. yet

It's definitely an Apocalypse not a Ragnarok, what I thought was the crypto chip is the other half of the L2 cache which is on the backside of the board too.

If you are able I can show you how to make a serial cable to connect to the header on the board and you can connect to PPCBug with Term to look at what's on it.

Those are 128Mb (16MB) RAM chips at least that's what the datasheet says, so 8 would give you 128MB total (+1 for parity which we don't use).

But that's a very good board if the price was right, some folks will say that it's even faster than a Ragnarok for a lot of stuff. Should be a 450MHz 7410, but don't quote me on that, it could be something else, it should also overclock quite a lot.
Old 11 April 2019, 14:25   #3148
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

If it is really a 128MB card, then it is not supported atm.
Old 11 April 2019, 17:56   #3149
BULI

Thank you very much for your information.
Now I'm shure that I received the wrong card, as I should.

BTW
Cowcat published new version of RTCW for Warpos :-)

Quote:
It's definitely an Apocalypse not a Ragnarok, what I thought was the crypto chip is the other half of the L2 cache which is on the backside of the board too.

If you are able I can show you how to make a serial cable to connect to the header on the board and you can connect to PPCBug with Term to look at what's on it.

Those are 128Mb (16MB) RAM chips at least that's what the datasheet says, so 8 would give you 128MB total (+1 for parity which we don't use).

But that's a very good board if the price was right, some folks will say that it's even faster than a Ragnarok for a lot of stuff. Should be a 450MHz 7410, but don't quote me on that, it could be something else, it should also overclock quite a lot.
Old 11 April 2019, 18:21   #3150
BULI

I got info from my Friend from the USA- there is a hope to happy end.

Quote:
Thank you very much for your information.
Now I'm shure that I received the wrong card, as I should.

BTW
Cowcat published new version of RTCW for Warpos :-)
Old 18 April 2019, 14:57   #3151
drluking

hello guys,
a software question:
Is It possibile to play powerpc games with minimum requirements of 64Mb RAM using PPC killer M1/K1 cards ? (in mediator 3V for A4000) The games are: Heretic II, Shogo, Freespace (Hyperion) and Earth 2140 (Epic)
Old 18 April 2019, 15:13   #3152
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by drluking View Post
hello guys,
a software question:
Is It possibile to play powerpc games with minimum requirements of 64Mb RAM using PPC killer M1/K1 cards ? (in mediator 3V for A4000) The games are: Heretic II, Shogo, Freespace (Hyperion) and Earth 2140 (Epic)
Yes.

Quake 1, Quake 2, WipeOut, Doom too.
Old 18 April 2019, 15:20   #3153
drluking

great ! I like a lot Shogo, Heretic II and Quake II and Earth 2140 (sometimes also Freespace)
So the only one not working is Quake III and RTCW ?
Old 18 April 2019, 15:23   #3154
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Smokin'Guns also not.
Old 21 April 2019, 08:42   #3155
TheMrKocour

Hi, does anyone have working Spider USB + Sonnet + LAN card? When i have just Voodoo + Spider everything works correct. But when i add LAN card and Sonnet USB starts having problem. Usual saying bad block on my USB drive. I dont have Sonnet initialized at boot, but i still have problems. I tried Spider I and Spider II
Old 21 April 2019, 17:24   #3156
BULI

I use Sonnet with voodo3, SoundBlaster and spider USB. This config works correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMrKocour View Post
Hi, does anyone have working Spider USB + Sonnet + LAN card? When i have just Voodoo + Spider everything works correct. But when i add LAN card and Sonnet USB starts having problem. Usual saying bad block on my USB drive. I dont have Sonnet initialized at boot, but i still have problems. I tried Spider I and Spider II
Old 22 April 2019, 01:29   #3157
drluking

Question

hi,

I have problems of stability with my hardware:

A4000 in tower full recapped, super buster 11, with new Mediator 4000D 3v, WarpEngine040@40 128Mb, Voodoo3, SB128, RTL ethernet, Killer PPC K1@333 (or same as Killer PPC M1@400), hd IDE 80gb with last version of PFS3AIO, ATX adapter PSU by Elbox, PSU ATX 20 pin (with -5V) 550W, AmigaOS3.9, pci.library 13.8, last sonnet binary build #413, 68040.library 44.2 (original of AmigaOS3.9), AHI 4.18 configured only for Paula DMA 8bit at the moment

Cards PCI are connected in this way:
PCI1: SB128
PCI2: Voodoo3
PCI3: RTL ethernet
PCI4: Killer PPC K1@333 (or Killer PPC M1@400)
No Zorro card connected

Jumpers of Mediator 4000D 3v are set in this way at the moment:
MASTER: CLOSED
WINSIZE: CLOSED
SWAP CONFIG: OPEN

Mediator variables set in these way at the moment:
VoodooMem: 13
VoodooMemOS: Yes
VoodooInt: Yes
Warp3D: No
Buster: 11
FastEthernet: 0

powerpc.library is in LIBS: and in startup-sequence (after LoadMonDrvs and before AddDataTypes) there is the command "Run >NIL: <NIL: C:InitPPC"
The initialization of Killer PPC K1@333 always It's OK after every boot/reboot of the Amiga

I have tested at the moment these software:
- Voxelspace (from WarpUP demos); It works but after about some time (exemple after 1 minute or litte less or more), the Amiga crash with guru "Software failure".
- Nightlong PPC (with small movies); It works but almost always It doesn't complete the intro movie and the Amiga crash with guru "Software failure", while some time It complete the intro movie, but after some time (exemple after 1 minute or litte less or more), the Amiga crash with guru "Software failure".
- Quake WOS 2.30; I played the first three levels correctly without any problems (I had no audio set), while setting AHI I had a crash after a while I was playing. I'm not sure that with the disabled audio it works perfectly, but I can say that with this game the card seems to work much better at least

I haven't tried any other games at the moment, but I think Voxelspace demo and Nightlong already shouldn't give all these Amiga crash problems; I report one of the crash red gurus as an example:
"Software Failure, error: 8100 00FF Task: 0800F4A0"

I suspect it may be an hardware problem of "compatibility" between the PSU and the Mediator (I have indeed +4.92V in Core Logic osscillator in the Mediator PCI 4000 MK-III card; I think It should in the level +4.95 to +5.05V, or not ?); I then tried two other ATX 20-pin 350W and 300W power supplies, but I get a little lower results in the +5V, or It's a software problem, for exemple I'm not sure, but I can use the original 68040.library 44.2 of AmigaOS3.9 with WarpEngine040@40 or I have to use the MMULib ?
Or it could be something else, but I don't know, what do you think ?

these are my test about PSU (as I wrote before, I'm using an ATX adapter by Elbox that has an A4000 connector for A4000 mainboard and a P9 AT connector for Mediator 4000D mainboard card, and PSU ATX 20 pin (with -5V) 550W, in this configuration:
- with Mediator 4000D and its Mediator PCI 4000 MK-III card (without any PCI card), I have +5.00V in Core Logic osscillator in the Mediator PCI 4000 MK-III card.
- with Mediator 4000D and its Mediator PCI 4000 MK-III card and only Voodoo3 PCI card, I have +4.94V in Core Logic osscillator in the Mediator PCI 4000 MK-III card.
- with Mediator 4000D and its Mediator PCI 4000 MK-III card and Voodoo3 PCI and the PPC K1@333 PCI, I have +4.92V in Core Logic osscillator in the Mediator PCI 4000 MK-III card.
- with Mediator 4000D and its Mediator PCI 4000 MK-III card and Voodoo3 PCI, PPC K1@333 PCI, SB128 PCI card, RTL ethernet PCI card, I have +4.92V in Core Logic osscillator in the Mediator PCI 4000 MK-III card.

what should I do at this point ?
Old 22 April 2019, 01:58   #3158
grelbfarlk

I can't really say about other 68040/060 libraries, I use Thor's as with the Warpengine with 060, that's the only 68060.library which works. Also using Thor's 040/060 libraries with CSPPC, CS MK2, GVP Trexx-II, A3660.

The error you are seeing 8100 00FF I have seen before and has something to do with interrupts, but I haven't seen that error in a long time.

It sounds like you have a five slot Mediator busboard from what you are describing.

I have the following card order in my five slot A4000D Tower:
--Top--
Slot 5: 10mb NIC
Slot 4: PPC Card
Slot 3: Voodoo
Slot 2: FM801
Slot 1: Spider
--Bottom with Mediator bridge--

Another system:
--Top--
Slot 4: Empty
Slot 3: PPC card
Slot 2: Voodoo

Another system:
--Top--
Slot 4: 100MB NIC
Slot 1: SB128

How about posting your PCIInfo output?

Are any of the cards sharing IRQs?

It's hard to say if the voltage is a problem, as there is a pretty wide range of what "works" for other people. In my A4000 desktop it's perfectly stable with 4.80V with a Corsair SF450. In the tower it's much closer to 5V, depending on where I measure it.

Does Dnetc -bench work as many times as you can run it?
Old 23 April 2019, 14:42   #3159
drluking

Quote:
I can't really say about other 68040/060 libraries, I use Thor's as with the Warpengine with 060, that's the only 68060.library which works. Also using Thor's 040/060 libraries with CSPPC, CS MK2, GVP Trexx-II, A3660.
Which OS do you use respectively in each of your three powerpc mediator systems in each of your three powerpc mediator systems ? (AmigaOS3.9 bb4 ? AmigaOS3.9 bb2 ? AmigaOS3.9 bb1 ? AmigaOS3.5 ? Workbench 3.1 ?)

Quote:
The error you are seeing 8100 00FF I have seen before and has something to do with interrupts, but I haven't seen that error in a long time.
yes i have always this error (8100 00FF) when I have crash reboot
I think the same thing (something to do with interrupts), but how to solve it ?

Quote:
It sounds like you have a five slot Mediator busboard from what you are describing.
yes, It' correct

Quote:
I have the following card order in my five slot A4000D Tower:
--Top--
Slot 5: 10mb NIC
Slot 4: PPC Card
Slot 3: Voodoo
Slot 2: FM801
killer M1 ? killer K1 ? or other ppc ?

Quote:
Another system:
--Top--
Slot 4: Empty

Quote:
Another system:
--Top--
Slot 4: 100MB NIC
Slot 1: SB128

Quote:
How about posting your PCIInfo output?

Are any of the cards sharing IRQs?
I'm testing a lot, to understand the problem ..tried a lot with not sharing IRQ and sharing ... apparently it's all more stable using an usb pci card, but I have to check this out better, I'm still testing step by step, it's complicated, it will take some time to understand better, I'm working on it

Quote:
It's hard to say if the voltage is a problem, as there is a pretty wide range of what "works" for other people. In my A4000 desktop it's perfectly stable with 4.80V with a Corsair SF450. In the tower it's much closer to 5V, depending on where I measure it.
hack an adapter PSU to use an old AT PSU (vs ATX PSU) and It' now about +4.96V / +4.97V on 5V pin of the core logic oscillator, but It does not solve the problem

Quote:
Does Dnetc -bench work as many times as you can run it?
I don't know it, where can I download it for ppc mediator ?

Please, can you tell me which exact version of Picasso96 do you use in your three powerpc mediator systems and how did you configure the Picasso96 variables for the Voodoo3 ?

Moreover could you tell me which variables you use for the mediator with your M1 / M1 killer boards ? (exemple VoodooInt, VoodooMem, VoodooMemOS ... etc ...)

Do you use IDE hd with A4000 onboard controller ? or SCSI controllers of 68k CPU cards ? and Do you use last version of PFS3AIO in aminet or FFS, SFS ... filesystem ?

SWAP config jumper is open (I don't have connected zorro cards), Is it OK, or I have to try to close it ?

thanks

Last edited by drluking; 23 April 2019 at 16:04.
Old 23 April 2019, 17:40   #3160
trixster
Guru Meditating

You should remove the NIC and SoundBlaster whilst testing. You should also use a clean install of OS3.9 with bb1 and 2.

If you can get that running stable then systematically add extra cards / more software