English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 27 November 2017, 17:17   #3081
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
I have now tried a range of old CF cards and adaptors (plus DOMs, disk and whatnot), and so far, only one CF card seem to work, an ancient 64MB SanDisk.
Not my experience at all, I used any shit I had lying around and it worked.
Suggestion to look at adapter and/or cable length is wise.
Old 27 November 2017, 18:26   #3082
alenppc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Not my experience at all, I used any shit I had lying around and it worked.
Suggestion to look at adapter and/or cable length is wise.
I think you were just lucky... Whatever doesn't work on the 328 also doesn't work on the 530, which makes sense considering they share the IDE code.
Old 27 November 2017, 19:16   #3083
Amiga1992

Lucky me I guess!
So is it related to the Gayle emulation? Would the WinUAE code help in any possible way?
Old 27 November 2017, 19:19   #3084
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Lucky me I guess!
So is it related to the Gayle emulation? Would the WinUAE code help in any possible way?
Unlikely. The Gayle emulation is just the interrupt register handling and the Gayle ID. Maybe its an interupt lock up or something but unlikely. Possibly a wiring issue.

Save the speculation until i get the non-working card.
Old 27 November 2017, 19:27   #3085
brigand

Quote:
Originally Posted by th4t1guy View Post
There's a few programs on aminet that will let you do this.
I used JoyMouse http://aminet.net/package/util/mouse/JoyMouse with speed Parameter "6" which works fine, but has no second mouse button. Running it with "RUN > NIL: C:JoyMouse 6" from the startup-sequence.

I doesn't need so anything aditional to install like the one from CDTV Tools.

Is there anything like (as less installation as possible) this with two mouse buttons?
Old 27 November 2017, 19:41   #3086
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
And one question, if I may, although not directly related to the TF328 but would it be feasible to implement a floppy port to the riser card for use with an external floppy drive? Not that its really necessary but the thought crossed my mind last night so thought I'd ask.
A crazy Aussie bloke called Brek Martin (he's here somewhere) is working on a homebrew floppy adapter for the CD32. Not sure if he succeeded fully yet. Why crazy? Because he's wiring it up on a rats nest of a proto board

You can find his videos here
https://www.youtube.com/user/ArtyFart/videos

Very cool though!
Old 27 November 2017, 19:45   #3087
a4k-oerx

Try JoyMouse from CD32 Developer-Kit, it supports left/right mousebutton as red/blue button.
Old 27 November 2017, 19:48   #3088
supaduper

Quote:
What can be done with TF328 to improve compatibility with IDE devices?

I have now tried a range of old CF cards and adaptors (plus DOMs, disk and whatnot), and so far, only one CF card seem to work, an ancient 64MB SanDisk. The new 16GB SanDisk CF "ultra" cards I bought for the TF328 do not work (boot partition shows up in early-startup, but refuses to boot from it). All these devices and cards work just fine on SX32 Pro, A1200, A600 etc.
I am using a 16gb sandisk ULTRA on my TF328 just now no problem using PFS aio, your problem lies elsewhere either Bad cf cards or adapter, I have not had one type of brand of CF not work with the TF328
Old 27 November 2017, 20:12   #3089
alenppc

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
I am using a 16gb sandisk ULTRA on my TF328 just now no problem using PFS aio, your problem lies elsewhere either Bad cf cards or adapter, I have not had one type of brand of CF not work with the TF328
That is very strange. I assuming we are using the same cheap ebay adapters. And besides, they don't do anything special other than straight wire pins. I wonder if not all of these CF cards are created equal. Maybe they altered the logic between various revisions.
Old 27 November 2017, 20:18   #3090
supaduper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
That is very strange. I assuming we are using the same cheap ebay adapters. And besides, they don't do anything special other than straight wire pins.
Yes Alen just the same cheap CF IDE adapters off of Ebay , I have had the odd one give me problem so I just binned it and got another, I have repaired the odd one by just reflowing the solder on the adapters pins as they are normally pi$$ poor
Old 27 November 2017, 20:22   #3091
Luvarim

I followed your advises and I think I located the problem. Riser card is working, the video signal through the db23 works fine, when the tf328 is plugged in it boots from cd. But when the cf Adapter is plugged in then I get no video signal. Is there a cf adapter which I can be sure that it works.
Many thanks for your good advises.
Old 27 November 2017, 20:33   #3092
th4t1guy

I thought I read somewhere that IDE to SD adapters had better compatibility as well as being more available. Is this not true? Why is everyone still using CF cards?
Old 27 November 2017, 20:34   #3093
kolla
Banned

Well, I used the very same adapter when I prepared the cards on the other CD32 with SX32 Pro, so I doubt that cards or adapters are to blame. The SX32 Pro boots right off the 16GB ultra, as does the A600 with Vampire2 and my A1200. So, I have no idea.
Old 27 November 2017, 20:36   #3094
plasmab
Banned

How do you even partition a 16GB drive?
Old 27 November 2017, 20:37   #3095
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by th4t1guy View Post
I thought I read somewhere that IDE to SD adapters had better compatibility as well as being more available. Is this not true? Why is everyone still using CF cards?
Nah, CF pretty much _is_ IDE only in a different form factor, while SD adapters need more logic to translate. I can say that when I try to use SD adapter on the TF328, the audio volume output dropped _drastically_. Maybe a symptom of something?
Old 27 November 2017, 20:42   #3096
alenppc

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
You need to create the first partition smaller than 4GB (ideally under WinUAE). Then you need a patched scsi.device to see the rest. But for the purposes of this test you can limit yourself to creating one partition under 4GB.

If unable to reproduce the issue, I am willing to send you the offending card/hardware.
Old 27 November 2017, 20:43   #3097
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
With a system running AmigaOS 3.9, with updated scsi.device and filesystems.

Typically a small partition at the start for the operating system, so the "old" scsi.device in the kickstart can find it and boot, so Setpatch (or whatever) can bootstrap the new scsi.device. I typically use a system partition of a few hundred MBs.
Old 27 November 2017, 20:52   #3098
supaduper

Quote:
With a system running AmigaOS 3.9, with updated scsi.device and filesystems.

Typically a small partition at the start for the operating system, so the "old" scsi.device in the kickstart can find it and boot, so Setpatch (or whatever) can bootstrap the new scsi.device. I typically use a system partition of a few hundred MBs.
Same as kolla says but I also only only use the PFS-aio fs and never ever have a problem
Old 27 November 2017, 21:27   #3099
th4t1guy

Quote:
Nah, CF pretty much _is_ IDE only in a different form factor, while SD adapters need more logic to translate. I can say that when I try to use SD adapter on the TF328, the audio volume output dropped _drastically_. Maybe a symptom of something?
Weird.....maybe the IDE ground pins were done different on the SD adapter?
Old 27 November 2017, 21:49   #3100
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
You need to create the first partition smaller than 4GB (ideally under WinUAE). Then you need a patched scsi.device to see the rest. But for the purposes of this test you can limit yourself to creating one partition under 4GB.

If unable to reproduce the issue, I am willing to send you the offending card/hardware.
Ok. I'll do that slap it into my version of DiagROM with IDE Diagnostics and see how we go.