English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Releases

Old 24 August 2023, 23:37   #3081
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Has anyone found a misplaced motivation lying around anywhere? I seem to have misplaced mine :/
Old 25 August 2023, 00:22   #3082
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
Has anyone found a misplaced motivation lying around anywhere? I seem to have misplaced mine :/
back from the lakes early due to the weather, not feeling super enthusiastic about anything having been drenched every day till the wife couldn't continue on the hike.

@Karlos
Its ok to take a break from it for a bit chap. I am sure your motivation will return, remember this is not work, its for fun
Old 25 August 2023, 09:30   #3083
grond

Quote:
You've done so much work already and there are no obligations. Look back on all the amazing improvements you have done. You managed to fix so many bugs and to make this game enjoyable on much lower-specced machines than the original was. What is left do be done anyway? I believe you are almost done with the level reworks, right? The low-level optimisations of the asm code have already achieved great improvements. Of course, it's the very nature of optimisation to never really come to an end unless you decide the diminishing returns aren't worth it any more. The biggest subproject seems to be the RTG/os-friendly branch. That would certainly be something that needs an extra amount of motivation to tackle but it's such a big task that putting it off for a few weeks doesn't really change much.
Old 26 August 2023, 16:48   #3084
Karlos
Alien Bleed

So the main issue has been mostly external in nature. Lots of other problems to deal with leaving me flat as a fart by the end of each day.

In terms of what's left, well I did have a list of things that should be easier now that there's C interoperability. Let's see:

Reintroduce in-game messaging (on screen, proportional font) and level introduction texts. That was part done already.

Add support for a mod properties file. This will allows the mod to set limits on ammo and health counts and allow other engine parameters to be tweaked that are otherwise fixed, e.g. audio sample rate (I wanted to try 16kHz samples).

Add support for floor texture set per level override. This should be pretty easy, you load the data if the file exists in the level directory and fall back to the global set if it doesn't. It should be possible to do the same thing for the model textures too, if you have some unique models / bosses in a specific level.

Add sound slot variations. The game has a fixed limit of 64 sample slots, so, to remain backwards compatible, we could add support for "bank variation" on these, that are selected at random (perhaps with some probability, defined in the mod properties) at runtime.

Allow for taller wall textures. The current limit is 128, so anything taller repeats vertically. Given how large vertical differences can be, it might be nice to support at least 256.

Then there are more ambitious ideas:

Redo the wall texturing and sprite texturing, getting rid of the 32 colour limitations. This made sense for working well within 4MB, but the texture memory footprint increases going to 256 colours is only 50%. It would allow for simplified inner loops too.

Mip mapping. This probably only needs to be applied vertically, given the columnar nature of the rendering. This might improve performance on distant large walls, but even if not, could at least improve the rendition.

RGB framebuffer for RTG. The game does a lot of shading, that has to map brightness variations of palette colours back to the nearest colour in the palette. Instead, a lookup can be computed, potentially factoring in brightness/gamma settings (whenever these are changed) that returns the appropriate RGB value ready to roll.

Last edited by Karlos; 26 August 2023 at 17:25.
Old 26 August 2023, 16:56   #3085
Karlos
Alien Bleed

As for the mod itself, there are still a lot of levels that need reworking or even replacing. There's also pacing and enemy introduction to think about.
Old 26 August 2023, 19:43   #3086
trixster
Guru Meditating

Sorry to ask what has probably been asked countless times before, but where can an 020 executable be downloaded from to give this a try? I’ve recently downgraded my 1200 from 060 to 28mhz 020 (like I had in the 90s) and I’m keen to try an optimised AB3DII
Old 26 August 2023, 20:28   #3087
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Sorry to ask what has probably been asked countless times before, but where can an 020 executable be downloaded from to give this a try? I’ve recently downgraded my 1200 from 060 to 28mhz 020 (like I had in the 90s) and I’m keen to try an optimised AB3DII
the executable from KarlosTKG
https://github.com/0xABADCAFE/karlos-tkg
should be 020 friendly, unless things have changed while I was away?
I think it has options for 060 optimised code but starts in a generic mode.
Old 26 August 2023, 20:52   #3088
Karlos
Alien Bleed

There are numerous 060 optimisations but nothing dependent on 060 to run. Would recommend 2/3 screenmode, maybe 1*2 pixel mode. You can also enable simplified lighting for an extra boost.
Old 26 August 2023, 21:03   #3089
trixster
Guru Meditating

Thanks!
Old 27 August 2023, 01:49   #3090
Dunny

Biggest thing for me right now would be mouse invert. Just cannot get on with it being the wrong way around
Old 27 August 2023, 01:54   #3091
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Biggest thing for me right now would be mouse invert. Just cannot get on with it being the wrong way around
Turn your mouse the wrong way around and use the opposite hand. Problem solved!
Old 27 August 2023, 12:37   #3092
abu_the_monkey

in the asm version a bitwise NOT on the data read from the mouse port worked to invert the mouse look

Code:
Sys_ReadMouse:
				move.l	#$dff000,a6
				clr.l	d0
				clr.l	d1
				move.w	$a(a6),d0
				tst.b	invertMouse
				beq.s	.notInverted
				not.w	d0;to invert mouse look
.notInverted
				lsr.w	#8,d0
				ext.l	d0
				move.w	d0,d3
tried the same in the C version which worked but it causes the screen to 'roll' through when the bottom of the screen is hit (or I am missing something)

Code:
void Sys_ReadMouse()
{
    static WORD oldMouseY;
    WORD diffY = ~joy0dat >> 8;
    diffY -= oldMouseY;
    if (diffY >= 127)
        diffY -= 255;
    else if (diffY < -127)
        diffY += 255;
    // Emulate weird add.b stuff in original code
    oldMouseY = (oldMouseY & 0xff00) | ((diffY+oldMouseY) & 0xff);
    Sys_MouseY += diffY;
Old 27 August 2023, 12:58   #3093
Karlos
Alien Bleed

It'll be exactly the same class of issue the original C code had with vertical wrapping. What's the implicit type of joy0dat in the first place? (AFK until later today, cant look yet). It might need some parentheses to work around precedence if we are expecting a signed 16 bit result for diffY
Old 27 August 2023, 20:57   #3094
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
It'll be exactly the same class of issue the original C code had with vertical wrapping. What's the implicit type of joy0dat in the first place? (AFK until later today, cant look yet). It might need some parentheses to work around precedence if we are expecting a signed 16 bit result for diffY
Yes, for sure the same issue as the original C code, but, as it is moving to a more os friendly way of doing things maybe reading the hardware directly is not the right way to do this?
Old 27 August 2023, 21:45   #3095
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu_the_monkey View Post
Yes, for sure the same issue as the original C code, but, as it is moving to a more os friendly way of doing things maybe reading the hardware directly is not the right way to do this?
For sure. At some point we'll probably want to move to IDCMP message processing. However, there is something to be said for the current approach, especially as regards input latency.
Old 27 August 2023, 22:17   #3096
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
For sure. At some point we'll probably want to move to IDCMP message processing. However, there is something to be said for the current approach, especially as regards input latency.
that was going to be my next question, how much latency would using interrupts and the input.device introduce?
Old 27 August 2023, 22:42   #3097
abu_the_monkey

@trixster

please let us know how it performs on your system.

the 28mhz 020 that is
Old 27 August 2023, 22:50   #3098
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
that was going to be my next question, how much latency would using interrupts and the input.device introduce?
I'm not sure. I was thinking about the latency of IDCMP. The current solution is very predictable which is a good thing
Old 28 August 2023, 01:51   #3099
amipal

Quote:
@trixster

please let us know how it performs on your system.

the 28mhz 020 that is
I'd be interest to know too. We've got some good stats on '030 and '060 systems.
Old 28 August 2023, 10:40   #3100
grond

Quote:
I'd recommend going through lowlevel.library. That's certainly going to be quicker and was designed for this exact purpose.