English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.GameBase Amiga

Old 25 April 2020, 21:10   #3001
kaffie

Been meaning to come in here and say thanks to DamienD for this for over a week.

I can't say I been playing with WinUAE for a week but I can say that my time with WinUAE this week has been a lot more productive and enjoyable thanks to DamienD and all the work put in to this.

Thanks again.
Old 26 April 2020, 07:58   #3002
slipstream

DamienD, thanks for the Amiga goodness mate...

question for anyone, how to boost WinUAE to max performance ? any tips ?
Old 26 April 2020, 14:19   #3003
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post

What do you mean by max performance?
Old 26 April 2020, 15:00   #3004
TroyWilkins

Quote:

It's my understanding - and I could be wrong here - that WinUAE performance is mostly dependant on single-threaded CPU performance. So it doesn't take advantage of if you have 8 CPU threads, but the faster the CPU the better.

I've used it a lot on several different machines I have here. The one that gave the worst performance was my AMD Phenom II x4 955 (4 cores, 4 threads, 3.2GHz). I got better performance on an Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (2 cores, 2 threads, 3.16GHz). And I get best performance on either my AMD Ryzen 5 3500U (4 cores, 8 threads, up to 3.7GHz) laptop or my Intel Core i5 3470 (4 cores, 4 threads, up to 3.6GHz), there may technically be a difference in performance, but there isn't one that I can feel, as they're both plenty fast enough for any Amiga games in this collection.

Of course, there is the usual, make sure you don't have chrome/firefox with 10 billion tabs open, shut down anything you're not using, make sure you've got enough RAM (the least RAM any of the rigs I've tried has is 8GB, several have 16GB), and the biggest boost I found was when I upgraded to a SSD from a spinning platter HDD, but that only helps when initially loading WinUAE and all the games...
Old 27 April 2020, 05:22   #3005
Damage

DamienD a late late thank you for this awesome collection
Old 27 April 2020, 12:13   #3006
slipstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyWilkins View Post
It's my understanding - and I could be wrong here - that WinUAE performance is mostly dependant on single-threaded CPU performance. So it doesn't take advantage of if you have 8 CPU threads, but the faster the CPU the better.

I've used it a lot on several different machines I have here. The one that gave the worst performance was my AMD Phenom II x4 955 (4 cores, 4 threads, 3.2GHz). I got better performance on an Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (2 cores, 2 threads, 3.16GHz). And I get best performance on either my AMD Ryzen 5 3500U (4 cores, 8 threads, up to 3.7GHz) laptop or my Intel Core i5 3470 (4 cores, 4 threads, up to 3.6GHz), there may technically be a difference in performance, but there isn't one that I can feel, as they're both plenty fast enough for any Amiga games in this collection.

Of course, there is the usual, make sure you don't have chrome/firefox with 10 billion tabs open, shut down anything you're not using, make sure you've got enough RAM (the least RAM any of the rigs I've tried has is 8GB, several have 16GB), and the biggest boost I found was when I upgraded to a SSD from a spinning platter HDD, but that only helps when initially loading WinUAE and all the games...

i think i need a bigger boat, my old computer here is no use for emulation...
Old 27 April 2020, 20:50   #3007
Boulder

Quote:
i think i need a bigger boat, my old computer here is no use for emulation...
A plain A500 should not be that tough to emulate. It's been quite many years since I first tried WinUAE without any severe problems, I probably had a P4 or a C2D back then. I also recall recording some Sensible Soccer matches at the same time.

So, what's your CPU etc.?
Old 27 April 2020, 22:13   #3008
enigma776
Bringer of Death

I use a Phenom X4 940 just fine.
Old 28 April 2020, 23:25   #3009
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
What issues are you having exactly slipstream?

I run my collection on an old "Acer Aspire 5951G / i5-2410M" laptop that I purchased back in late 2011; which has these specs.

Hardly a powerhouse in this day and age...
Old 29 April 2020, 09:16   #3010
jabybau

Hey Damien.....mine is a 8951g Acer as well and it works flawlessly.....I added 8gb of ram now it's got 16gb and I bought it myself in 2011 too.....!!
Old 29 April 2020, 09:42   #3011
TroyWilkins

I think it also depends which games, games that run on a base A500 should be perfectly playable on any PC from the last 15 years or so, certainly anything in the realm of a Core 2 Duo/Quad or later, or AMD Athlon X4/Phenom X4 or later, and quite possibly machines earlier than that or with less power, such as Intel Atom.

When you'll need more power is once you start trying games that need something more powerful than a basic A1200 - games like Payback or Genetic Species, or the Macintosh games, for those games you may need more CPU power - that's been my experience anyway.
Old 29 April 2020, 12:18   #3012
slipstream

Right ill go into detail....

My computer is fine, i tried to shy away from my post, i think i was up too late and baked when i made it sorry lads.

The issue im having is only with StreetRod 1. After F18 interceptor it was like one of the first games i used to play. The default DamienD settings allow the game to run but its slow as heck... althougth it was probably true to real life and the game is just slow.

What i was hoping for was a guide to optimising the Emulator to be the most pimping fast amiga there is without messing up the game...

Has someone setup a guide somewhere on the forums i have missed on pimping up the emulator?

In all honesty i dont know what im doing and just randomly select a different CPU, max the chip memory, z3 fast out and the slow ram... fire it up and hope for the best... max the floppy read speed out too. Problem is that when you start driving you jump to light speed and the other cars finish the race before you can press a key...

TLDR: what is the best guide to optimising WinUAE?
Old 29 April 2020, 13:21   #3013
TroyWilkins

Quote:
What i was hoping for was a guide to optimising the Emulator to be the most pimping fast amiga there is without messing up the game...

Has someone setup a guide somewhere on the forums i have missed on pimping up the emulator?

TLDR: what is the best guide to optimising WinUAE?
Ahhhhhhh... If only it were so simple. Sadly, it isn't. Some games will work perfectly well with WinUAE settings with everything cranked to be as fast as possible, while as you've discovered, some won't work properly (or even at all) with some things changed.

It really depends on the way the game itself was made, and there is no hard and fast rule as to what will work with what settings. Having said that, a game from 1996 is more likely to work with faster settings than one from 1986. There will even be some games where no matter what they do, they may work the same.

I'll have a look at Street Rod 1 myself and see if I can get it working faster, but I think that's one where it'll never be fast and smooth and running nicely without issues...
Old 29 April 2020, 13:37   #3014
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Most games are either vsync timed (CPU speed won't affect game speed) or are timed to original CPU speed (faster CPU = whole game runs faster, including game logic and timers.. Unfortunately most A500 era 3D games do this.)

For example Frontier (and I think F1GP) properly handle increased CPU speed: FPS increases, game logic/timing is unaffected.
Old 29 April 2020, 14:58   #3015
TroyWilkins

Quote:
The issue im having is only with StreetRod 1. After F18 interceptor it was like one of the first games i used to play. The default DamienD settings allow the game to run but its slow as heck... althougth it was probably true to real life and the game is just slow.
I've been trying that one out now, and I see what you mean. Things like removing a carby or manifold, once you've undone the bolt there is quite a delay before the carby or manifold are actually removed. And the animation for the "tune engine" looks like it's running slow too, but I think that's how it's supposed to be, as it looks to me to be a lack of animation frames there.

Regarding getting things working faster, I tried changing the Floppy drive emulation speed to turbo and that didn't seem to have any ill effects from what I've seen, so things load much faster with that changed. I'm still experimenting with other options to see what makes a difference, I've discovered that this game doesn't work correctly on an Amiga 1200 setup - too fast and corrupted graphics once you are actually driving.
Old 29 April 2020, 15:12   #3016
slipstream

yeah, im pretty sure that game ran a good bit better on native hardware, although, my memory is probably mince now. Been playing desert strike a fair bit its good fun.
Old 29 April 2020, 15:16   #3017
TroyWilkins

I got it working a lot better by changing the following, might be worth trying for you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	133
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	67080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.png
Views:	123
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	67081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard03.png
Views:	126
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	67082  
Old 29 April 2020, 15:25   #3018
slipstream

68020 = A2000 Amiga.
1meg of Z2 fast ram.
turbo floppy speed.

Ok im going in!

The cracktro has some nice music
Old 29 April 2020, 15:30   #3019
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyWilkins View Post
I've been trying that one out now, and I see what you mean. Things like removing a carby or manifold, once you've undone the bolt there is quite a delay before the carby or manifold are actually removed. And the animation for the "tune engine" looks like it's running slow too, but I think that's how it's supposed to be, as it looks to me to be a lack of animation frames there.
Quote:
yeah, im pretty sure that game ran a good bit better on native hardware, although, my memory is probably mince now. Been playing desert strike a fair bit its good fun.
This is how the game plays on hardware also... it's an A500 game and as Toni has said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Most games are either vsync timed (CPU speed won't affect game speed) or are timed to original CPU speed (faster CPU = whole game runs faster, including game logic and timers.. Unfortunately most A500 era 3D games do this.)

For example Frontier (and I think F1GP) properly handle increased CPU speed: FPS increases, game logic/timing is unaffected.
Quote:
68020 = A2000 Amiga.
A1200.
Old 29 April 2020, 15:35   #3020
slipstream

There is no way it ran that slow on the A500 or A500+ it must have ran faster...

That is running sweet now thanks you guys...

If it was as slow as A500 emulation... i would have stuck with my spectrum and jumped straight to NES or something.

Thanks Damien so 68020 is the A1200. Now how come the chipset is still ECS agnus... didnt the A1200 have an AGA chipset? Does it matter that its not on AGA?

Last edited by slipstream; 29 April 2020 at 15:43.