English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 05 June 2019, 19:52   #281
rsn8887

Eye of the Storm - no clue what was going on, also very scary
Barbarian (Psygnosis) - controls were unusable to me
Killing Cloud - I owned the original, read the manual, still couldn't get anywhere in the game
Midwinter - Never could get anywhere, I owned the manual, still didn't help.
Head over Heels - As a little child, I never understood this game correctly. Once I had the manual and the Amiga version as a teenager, I was still confused. Many rooms seemed impossible.
Nathan Never - What is this game? How to get past the first few rooms? A mystery.
Damocles/Mercenary 3 - Even with the manual, I couldn't figure these games out.
Old 10 July 2019, 13:28   #282
zero

Midwinter 2, set sex appeal to max and then on every island look for someone of the opposite sex to seduce... aka the James Bond method.

Frontier was supposed to be played as a trader or pirate I guess, but I mostly looked for ways to cheat the system.

On UFO I got fed up and hex edited the save file to boost my team's stats.

Syndicate was probably supposed to be played with cunning and skill, but it was easier to hide 8 miniguns under your trench coat and just brute force every mission. There was an assassination job where some guy was giving a speech. Obviously you were supposed to use the sniper rifle or laser, but the gauss gun was more fun.

On Lionheart I got stuck trying to get on to the ship because I couldn't figure out how to make the platform swing far enough to make the jump.

In Xenon 2 there was a section where there was a near infinite supply of money if you kept reversing the screen scrolling enough.

The amateur riders in No Second Prize can be knocked over if you are careful, and with some skill you can use them to take out your competitors!

In Dune II you get missile launcher units. Their range is exactly 1 square further than any base defence so you can just park them exactly one screen length away and let them slowly destroy the enemy base with impunity.

Some levels in Robocop end with a fight against ED209. You can use your gun or you can just jump and punch it in the face. Due to crap coding your punches are like a chainsaw and do massive damage every frame. It's usually easier to just shoot it though.

Sidewinder has an autofire power-up you can collect, but I always used the joystick's autofire function. In fact a Zip Stick's autofire is so fast that it causes your shots to become invisible because the sprites for them overlap (it re-used the same sprite multiple times).

In the PD game Master Blaster you can do an infinite bomb chain that is very hard to avoid. You need to have collected a decent number of bombs and speed power ups. Plant one bomb, wait a couple of seconds and then run away from it leaving a trail of bombs behind you. They will detonate in sequence and your opponent will have a hard time avoiding them, or stopping you for that matter.
Old 10 July 2019, 14:03   #283
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post
In Xenon 2 there was a section where there was a near infinite supply of money if you kept reversing the screen scrolling enoug
Intrigued as to where this part is?
Old 10 August 2019, 16:43   #284
mcbpete
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to mcbpete Send a message via Yahoo to mcbpete
Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
Again in the context of this thread, this is my "trying" to play Wizball
[ Show youtube player ]
Got to grips with this back in '90/'91 (so would've been 8 or 9) - The Amiga version is probably slightly more fiddly than the C64 I grew up with though

Step one - Use the spikey enemies at the start to upgrade your Wizball (the upgrades are the bubbles they leave behind when shot). Just upgrade the controls for your ball to start with (slot 1), do that twice so you have full 'normal' wizball control. To get an upgrade you wiggle the joystick left and right quickly on whatever icon is currently highlighted at the top of the screen

Step two - Shoot enough spikey enemies to get the upgrade that looks like a little version of your ball (slot 3). That's your sidekick the 'Cat' (or Catellite). It'll follow you everywhere and you use it to pick up any paint drops that fall out of enemies. If you hold down the fire button the joystick will move the 'Cat' around rather than you (sometimes useful for picking up paint drops)

Step three - Pick up enough paint drops to beat the level and go wild in the bonus round shooting everything and avoiding getting hit.

Step four - After the bonus round you can choose a permanent upgrade (I always choose the control upgrade as per step 1

Rinse and repeat !
Old 10 August 2019, 17:34   #285
Gordon
Settler

Diggers

I still don’t know
Old 11 August 2019, 03:38   #286
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbpete View Post
Got to grips with this back in '90/'91 (so would've been 8 or 9) - The Amiga version is probably slightly more fiddly than the C64 I grew up with though
The C64 version is definitely the one to play.
Old 11 August 2019, 08:13   #287
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbpete View Post

Step one - Use the spikey enemies at the start to upgrade your Wizball (the upgrades are the bubbles they leave behind when shot). Just upgrade the controls for your ball to start with (slot 1), do that twice so you have full 'normal' wizball control. To get an upgrade you wiggle the joystick left and right quickly on whatever icon is currently highlighted at the top of the screen

Step two - Shoot enough spikey enemies to get the upgrade that looks like a little version of your ball (slot 3). That's your sidekick the 'Cat' (or Catellite). It'll follow you everywhere and you use it to pick up any paint drops that fall out of enemies. If you hold down the fire button the joystick will move the 'Cat' around rather than you (sometimes useful for picking up paint drops)

Step three - Pick up enough paint drops to beat the level and go wild in the bonus round shooting everything and avoiding getting hit.

Step four - After the bonus round you can choose a permanent upgrade (I always choose the control upgrade as per step 1

Rinse and repeat !
Ah thanks for the reminder re the controls. I do recall back in the day getting "better" and I remember the cat and getting that from time to time.

But yeah, never got very far back then lol. I look forward to revisiting it on my real Amiga at the end of the year though.
Old 13 August 2019, 04:16   #288
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
Ah thanks for the reminder re the controls. I do recall back in the day getting "better" and I remember the cat and getting that from time to time.

But yeah, never got very far back then lol. I look forward to revisiting it on my real Amiga at the end of the year though.
Wizball is 100X more fun (and easier!) in 2-player mode where the second player controls Wizcat.

Edit: And if you're truly insane if you're playing by yourself, you control both joysticks yourself in 2-player mode so you can move the Wizball and Wizcat independently.
Old 13 August 2019, 04:19   #289
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Exile .

Everyone always said this game is incredible and awesome. When I finally got it and played it, all the time I was "What the hell am I supposed to do? I fly around, cool... and?"

Without a manual that game is impossible.
Old 13 August 2019, 09:18   #290
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
and Warhead (but I got a Dox with keys for that) a bit as well. )
I was completely lost on Warhead as well.
But i tried out a lot of stuff, and then I found out you could change the way the ship behaves to something more akin to Elite by pressing a number button.

And after that, it was one of the best experiences I had on the Amiga.
Old 13 August 2019, 13:55   #291
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Just checked this topic, I thought I replied to something similar long time ago (more than 10 years...)

Some games I never figured out how to play:

Sleepwalker (never completed first level, if there is something like level there )

Lost Patrol (I usually get lost in this game , had copy - no manual)

Cadaver (one of games I got with Amiga 500+ pack, never figured out how to play it )

Robocop 3 - was this really a game??

One of my favorite things was to figure out how to play game, but those 4 I just could not figure out. Had manuals only for Cadaver, tho.
Old 13 August 2019, 14:03   #292
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Sleepwalker (never completed first level, if there is something like level there )
This had a copy protection that made the first level impossible to beat. I scratched my head for years too, couldn't understand how the 1st level could be so difficult.
Old 13 August 2019, 22:01   #293
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Exile .

Everyone always said this game is incredible and awesome. When I finally got it and played it, all the time I was "What the hell am I supposed to do? I fly around, cool... and?"

Without a manual that game is impossible.
I played a lot of Exile on my C64.
Like you, I didn't understand what I was supposed to do, but the flying and low gravity physics were so well done, that I kept playing it tirelessly.
One small thing after another, and I realized how I can grab the bomb, then how I can place it and detonate it to blow up the door.
Then I finally figured out what all the options mean, and played it with lots of joy.
It was such an incredible game, and the world was very mysterious to me.
Never finished it though.
Old 14 August 2019, 00:14   #294
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Back when I was a kid I had lots of free time to figure out games. I still find amazing how I learned to play Elite and played it for so many hours without have a goddamn manual or guide for it.

Or how I finished Jagur on MSX without knowing one word of japanese. I still have no idea of what the storyline is about on that game or why the heck I had to buy lots of stuff to a girl who then would try to kill me, or why I was setting fire to all those trees or why on a certain area the villagers tried to kill me.... but I figured out how to solve the whole game and finish it WITHOUT HAVING A FRIGGIN IDEA of what was happening.
Old 14 August 2019, 10:06   #295
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn8887 View Post
Barbarian (Psygnosis) - controls were unusable to me
Damocles/Mercenary 3 - Even with the manual, I couldn't figure these games out.
I never played Barbarian by Psygnosis, but I saw screenshots of the game long before I had an Amiga myself, and I was baffled as to how anyone would play the game with the mouse (all the controls are on-screen).

As for Mercenary/Damocles, I LOVE these games! I must've played them for WEEKS of total game time, and they were totally engrossing with the exploration. I even made elaborate maps of Mercenary, which was needed with the mazes of corridors below the hangars, and I completed the game that way. I don't think I ever completed Second City, however. Damocles was much better, and I loved some of the imagery of the planetsets and sunsets and so forth, with the comet being visible adding extra atmosphere to an already atmospheric game! But again, for some reason, when it came to Mercenary 3, I lost interest early on. I think it's because the worlds were populated, and the difficulty in getting around (extortionate taxi fares, etc).
Old 14 August 2019, 19:38   #296
haynor666
retro maniac

Cadaver - I didn't even pass single screen. I simply years ago I didn't know what to do.

Settlers - first contact was dissapointing but luckily later we figured with some guys how to play (crack naturally without manual) and it turns to be the best game on amiga.

Mega lo Mania - I still don't know how to play, maybe I should finally give it a chance.

Exile AGA - I dind't know at the beginning what to.
Old 14 August 2019, 19:46   #297
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Megalomania is SO MUCH SIMPLER than The Settlers. If you figured out The Settlers you surely can do it with Megalomania
Old 14 August 2019, 21:23   #298
haynor666
retro maniac

I think You have right but I never try to understand this game, dummo why I left this game.
Old 14 August 2019, 21:53   #299
van_dammesque

Mega lo Mania one of the best AMiga games ever! Worth looking at a youtube video to learn to play, quite simple but complex at the same time
Old 14 August 2019, 22:48   #300
DamienD
Banned

Yeah, I did really enjoy Mega lo Mania back in the day.

Probably wouldn't know how to play it now though, but from memory wasn't that difficult to grasp.