English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 28 July 2022, 20:19   #281
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
@koobo Just saw another minor issue files with loooong filenames, their information/name doesnt get clipped to the inside of the string gadget its inside of, the name spills over the edge. usual screenshot included where you can just about see " - C" spilling over the gadget border.
I guess you may have some font patch active? The infobox assumes a 8x8 pix fixed width font, and overflows if the font is wider.
Old 28 July 2022, 20:24   #282
koobo

Quote:
hmm, i was trying protracker mods as many of them are obvious if the effect would work or not. whats the extra step for PT mods? according to the original guide, PT mods are listed as supported for the PS3M feature?
To clarify what daxb mentioned here are the prefs settings needed to control Protracker module stereo separation:
- Play-1/PT Replayer: set to PS3M
- PS3M/Play mode: set to surround
- PS3M/Stereo level: control stereo separation with this knob

I'm having a hard time remembering what all the PS3M play modes are :-)

Note that this effectively mixes four channels to two so the sound quality lowers a bit compared to the normal Paula audio output.
Old 28 July 2022, 20:30   #283
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by macce2 View Post
I have plenty of files on my modules directory.
There's also files of other format, some pictures
and text files, for example.
I must tell you that I used to add those "non-pure"
drawers to HippoPlayer's playlist; sometimes not
deleting the extraordinary, non-music files.
If I used the random play setting of HP;
which I use a lot; sometimes using those long playlists
led to a system crash.
It could be anything; but if the similar kind of system failure
happened a couple of times similarly,
I began to think it must be something with the general file format management /
recognition of HP, and/or the filenames.
The version of Hippoplayer was the "old", kind of legendary (!?) 2.47.
Would be interesting to know if the new version also crashes similarly.
To deal with "impure" playlists there is a prefs setting Continue on error which skips files not recognized.

To get a "pure" playlist it might also be possible to define a file match pattern in Prefs/Loading to filter out unwanted files.
Old 28 July 2022, 21:41   #284
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by koobo View Post
I guess you may have some font patch active? The infobox assumes a 8x8 pix fixed width font, and overflows if the font is wider.
interestingly enough, i do have a font patch via MCP, replaced Topaz with Xen-Fixed, the font i used is Xen-Fixed, i edited the Xen Font myself which is 6x8 Fixed and i changed it to 8x8 fixed width.

If thats the issue, ill try changing the font to something else, tho the reason i edited the xen font in the first place was to make a system friendly 8x8 font that didnt need a patch/hack, obviously something went wrong....somewhere.

lesson learned
Old 28 July 2022, 21:43   #285
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
To clarify what daxb mentioned here are the prefs settings needed to control Protracker module stereo separation:
- Play-1/PT Replayer: set to PS3M
- PS3M/Play mode: set to surround
- PS3M/Stereo level: control stereo separation with this knob

I'm having a hard time remembering what all the PS3M play modes are :-)

Note that this effectively mixes four channels to two so the sound quality lowers a bit compared to the normal Paula audio output.
yeah i did all that but my protracker mods sound exactly the same, i used Blood Money Ingame as my benchmark as its distinctive sounds are obvious, should be easy to tell if the channels are being flipped and played in both ears, but im still hearing it as normal for some reason that escapes me right now

No idea if it makes any difference, but when you say 4 channels are mixed into 2, is this represented in the scopes? i activated the settings as you stated (also no AHI enabled) and the scopes are all showing the usual 4 channels playing away.

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; 28 July 2022 at 21:51.
Old 28 July 2022, 22:05   #286
koobo

Quote:
yeah i did all that but my protracker mods sound exactly the same, i used Blood Money Ingame as my benchmark as its distinctive sounds are obvious, should be easy to tell if the channels are being flipped and played in both ears, but im still hearing it as normal for some reason that escapes me right now

No idea if it makes any difference, but when you say 4 channels are mixed into 2, is this represented in the scopes? i activated the settings as you stated (also no AHI enabled) and the scopes are all showing the usual 4 channels playing away.
Yes indeed, you should notice two things if all things went fine, that is, Protracker mods get played using the PS3M mixing engine:
- the quadrascope shows two channels instead of four
- the main window infobox displays "Type: Pro/Fasttracker 4ch" instead of "Protracker"
Old 28 July 2022, 22:14   #287
DisasterIncarna

this is happening atm.

[ Show youtube player ]

that tune says old soundtracker (i also have the correct 4ch pt mod converted with noiseconverter), but im seeing the same thing for ones showing as pro/fasttracker 4ch

EDIT: hang on, i must be a colossal moron (well i kinda knew that already), i slapped the stereo level to 0% and now it works? looks like i just was just misunderstanding that 100% would be THE effect?

ok, ill vanish into a corner now and pretend i didnt just make a massive wrong assumption, and ill go listen to my mods in stereo, which is totally working

[ Show youtube player ]
Panic Over...

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; 28 July 2022 at 22:54.
Old 29 July 2022, 06:54   #288
koobo

Quote:
this is happening atm.

[ Show youtube player ]

that tune says old soundtracker (i also have the correct 4ch pt mod converted with noiseconverter), but im seeing the same thing for ones showing as pro/fasttracker 4ch

EDIT: hang on, i must be a colossal moron (well i kinda knew that already), i slapped the stereo level to 0% and now it works? looks like i just was just misunderstanding that 100% would be THE effect?

ok, ill vanish into a corner now and pretend i didnt just make a massive wrong assumption, and ill go listen to my mods in stereo, which is totally working

[ Show youtube player ]
Panic Over...
I'm glad you figured it out! The "Old SoundTracker" modules are a corner case, they are not played using the PS3M mixing engine even if PT replayer is set to PS3M. I guess it's a bug.
Old 29 July 2022, 06:59   #289
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
I'm glad you figured it out! The "Old SoundTracker" modules are a corner case, they are not played using the PS3M mixing engine even if PT replayer is set to PS3M. I guess it's a bug.
yeah got that some mods didnt work i actually played the wrong version of blood money in vid1, i have been slowly converting any old trackers into proper protracker format via NoiseConverter, i just played the wrong file, but did play several files until i realized 0% stereo is the effect i needed, whereas i assumed 100% was what i should be going for.....which obv was wrong, nm, tho all working now
Old 29 July 2022, 07:33   #290
koobo

Quote:
interestingly enough, i do have a font patch via MCP, replaced Topaz with Xen-Fixed, the font i used is Xen-Fixed, i edited the Xen Font myself which is 6x8 Fixed and i changed it to 8x8 fixed width.

If thats the issue, ill try changing the font to something else, tho the reason i edited the xen font in the first place was to make a system friendly 8x8 font that didnt need a patch/hack, obviously something went wrong....somewhere.

lesson learned
Can you select the modified font using the Prefs font selector in Hippo? It should filter out fonts that are not compatible.
Old 29 July 2022, 07:37   #291
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Can you select the modified font using the Prefs font selector in Hippo? It should filter out fonts that are not compatible.
yup its selectable, i literally made the altered font just for hippoplayer use, i am ocd about some things, using Xen+NoTopaz hack in MCP/etc meant it worked but the text in the buttons in hippo looked left aligned, so i tried a "proper" 8x8 fixed font solution and the text looked a little more pushed center than before
Attached Files
File Type: lha Xen-8x8.lha (1.5 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; 29 July 2022 at 07:44.
Old 29 July 2022, 08:17   #292
koobo

Quote:
yup its selectable, i literally made the altered font just for hippoplayer use, i am ocd about some things, using Xen+NoTopaz hack in MCP/etc meant it worked but the text in the buttons in hippo looked left aligned, so i tried a "proper" 8x8 fixed font solution and the text looked a little more pushed center than before
Looks like there's too much space between the characters... Hippo thinks this is a fixed 8x8 pixel font. Maybe the char specific horizontal spacing values are too big?
Old 29 July 2022, 20:32   #293
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Looks like there's too much space between the characters... Hippo thinks this is a fixed 8x8 pixel font. Maybe the char specific horizontal spacing values are too big?
i'll check it out and hopefully fix it, i do like the Xen font.
Old 30 July 2022, 04:04   #294
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi Koobo!

Thank you for the new version, awesome!

Sorry for coming back so late but I did my usual tests and updated my comparison table. I found some changes, maybe bugs?
  • Some Impulse Tracker files play well now but others are skipped due to an "error", for example Siatek - Happy Bee 2, although it's played fine by DeliTracker II.
  • When playing an Impulse Tracker file, my screen will jump. After that, playing any other (kind of) file will also make my screen jump. I think that you tracked this problem to my 68060 and Indivision?
  • MED files don't play anymore and a MMD3 file crashes my Amiga with 8000 0005 but they used to play well

Let me know if I can help you track down any bug!

Cheers!
Old 30 July 2022, 08:02   #295
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygre View Post
Some Impulse Tracker files play well now but others are skipped due to an "error", for example Siatek - Happy Bee 2, although it's played fine by DeliTracker II.
This is an ITv214 module, and the mystery is that the "Impulse" deliplayer checks for the version and does not accept it (DTP_Check2). It only accepts ITv100 and ITv200 modules. Still DeliTracker is able to play it. Eagle and Hippo use the same deliplayer and they fail

Quote:
When playing an Impulse Tracker file, my screen will jump. After that, playing any other (kind of) file will also make my screen jump. I think that you tracked this problem to my 68060 and Indivision?
Does this also happen with EaglePlayer? The combination of Indivision+060+HIGHGFX screen mode seems to be a bit volatile. I'll have a test on my A1200, I don't think I've tried this combination.

Quote:
MED files don't play anymore and a MMD3 file crashes my Amiga with 8000 0005 but they used to play well
Could you point me to a test module? The MED parts of Hippo have not been altered lately (or in 20+ years, to be more specific )
Old 30 July 2022, 12:02   #296
8bitbubsy

Quote:
- The TFMX 7v replayer does not sound correct on 68060 with caches enabled.
It uses self modifying code which is not good with large caches.
Would it be possible to fix this by forcing a branch right after it modifies the code, to invalidate the cache? I know this trick worked on Intel CPUs back in the day. I have no idea if it works on a 68060.

Something like this:
Code:
    ; [code has been modified at this point]
    bra.s .InvCache ; invalidate cache
.InvCache

Last edited by 8bitbubsy; 30 July 2022 at 12:26.
Old 30 July 2022, 12:33   #297
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
Would it be possible to fix this by forcing a branch right after it modifies the code, to invalidate the cache? I know this trick worked on Intel CPUs back in the day. I have no idea if it works on a 68060.

Something like this:
Code:
    ; [code has been modified at this point]
    bra.s .InvCache ; invalidate cache
.InvCache
There's the exec function CacheClearE that can be used to flush the instruction cache for a specified memory region, I'll give this a try at some point.
The TFMX 7v also clobbers the audio interrupt vector directly which is quite nasty, should also be fixed.
Old 31 July 2022, 03:26   #298
tygre
Returning fan!

Quote:
This is an ITv214 module, and the mystery is that the "Impulse" deliplayer checks for the version and does not accept it (DTP_Check2). It only accepts ITv100 and ITv200 modules. Still DeliTracker is able to play it. Eagle and Hippo use the same deliplayer and they fail

Quote:
Does this also happen with EaglePlayer? The combination of Indivision+060+HIGHGFX screen mode seems to be a bit volatile. I'll have a test on my A1200, I don't think I've tried this combination.
Yes, my screen jumps too, but only with Impulse Tracker, not with other files before or after playing an Impulse file

Quote:
Could you point me to a test module? The MED parts of Hippo have not been altered lately (or in 20+ years, to be more specific )
Oh, yes, of course! Please try this MED and this MMD3 and let me know... I'll swear that these two worked with the previous version but not with this new version anymore but maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks!
Old 31 July 2022, 10:07   #299
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygre View Post
Yes, my screen jumps too, but only with Impulse Tracker, not with other files before or after playing an Impulse file
Tried with the 1024x768 mode. It does jump here too, both with Eagle and Hippo, when starting to play an IT module. It is strange. I still suspect this screen mode is a bit too much for the hardware to handle and it will cause instability.

I don't understand what could make playing an IT module any different than some other multichannel module...

Quote:
Please try this MED and this MMD3 and let me know... I'll swear that these two worked with the previous version but not with this new version anymore but maybe I'm wrong?
The first one is not recognized by Hippo (v2.45 or newer), it's likely a very old MED format module. The 2nd one plays for me on the A1200 and on FS-UAE.
Old 09 August 2022, 02:28   #300
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi Koobo!

Let me know if I can help you further test

Cheers!