English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 June 2023, 15:35   #281
Bren McGuire

good riddance
he only cancelled after he realized it was going to be a gigantic failure this is a marketing man so now he can twist the tale and be like "oh i heard the community so i cancelled it"

we have not seen the last of David Pleasance he is probably finding out new ways to suck money off the Amiga scene as we speak. he's a grifter preying on people's nostalgia using his past accolades as "proof" of reliability when all he did at best was come up with some succesful marketing ploy to sell more products 30+ years ago. who here is gullible enough that thinks this man loves the Amiga?

David Pleasance, like many others in the Amiga scene that used to work at Commodore (do you remember Petro Tsychenko?) is that guy who "peaked" at high school and forever tries to live off that nostalgic glory and everyone in the Amiga scene that gives these people the time of day is just as bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
I had a private messengerconversation with David yesterday where I told him that the best thing to do IS to cancel it..

at the conversation (that I had to jump out of due to familystuff (read: check a movie)) I did not get the feeling he "got the message" really but hopefully afterwards he was thikning and it had some kind of impact.. that cancel this kickstarter was the only correct way to go before it got ugly.. (or. well more ugly)
Old 13 June 2023, 15:48   #282
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

It was cancelled because you lot misunderstood David's purely altruistic intentions. Shame on you!

Does Petro offer a convincing defense against David's accusations in his memoirs? I've only watched a few interviews... revealing nothing noteworthy.
Old 13 June 2023, 15:54   #283
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

I dont see whats wrong with someone wanting to make some money out of an idea. I'm not saying this is the case here with DJP but if someone has an idea that is saleable then why can't they make money out of it? We should not expect everything for free just because some people are willing to give that (I myself work on various Amiga related projects for free). If someone wants to sell something then you have the choice whether or not you buy it. Doesn't necessarily mean its wrong if some people don't want to pay for it.

In this case I did not agree with the product being touted and it wasn't something I was happy with but I don't see why people need to start throwing accusations and getting personal. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on what DJP does or has done but is it necessary to post them publicly?
Old 13 June 2023, 15:59   #284
ItsTheSmell

When my mate gave me an A1200 ~6 years ago I trawled the internet to find out about it. I had an A500+ back in the day but C= went bust and I needed a SNES in my life for SF2.

Being new to the scene it seemed like a jumbled mess of thousands of resources which boggled my mind. I didnt realise back then that David was also new to the scene, but in one interview he mentioned that there needs to be a central place for everyone to go for info an help and he wanted to do it.

This made a lot of sense to me and I understand why he wants this. I think everyone calling him out as a grifter etc is missing his mission. To me he wants to try to take charge of what he missed out on when C= uk were pipped at the post.

However, the sales pitch was way off and its ruined something that could have been brilliant, potentially.
Old 13 June 2023, 16:08   #285
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Are you aware that he never even switched on an Amiga during his tenure at Commodore? Yet somehow this is a passion project? It doesn't add up.
Old 13 June 2023, 16:15   #286
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheSmell View Post
I didnt realise back then that David was also new to the scene, but in one interview he mentioned that there needs to be a central place for everyone to go for info an help and he wanted to do it.
David 'new to the scene'? A 'central place' that everybody magically knows about when they think Amiga, but to enter it you have to pay first? Doesn't sound like something that could work. If you search for 'Amiga forum' on Google the first page of results has you covered. For me the first result for 'Amiga help' is even EAB I still fail to see the point what is so confunsing about it.
Old 13 June 2023, 16:20   #287
ItsTheSmell

Yeah I am aware of that fact. It would make more sense if Someone like chucky or Bill did it but they dont want to, they have other ideas/goals/interests. I believed (5 years ago) that if anybody could achieve such an ambitious project; he could. I had big hopes for it but it, I was wrong. He looks a lot older than he did 5 years ago and he has had some health problems which might be a contributing factor.
Old 13 June 2023, 16:22   #288
ItsTheSmell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
David 'new to the scene'? A 'central place' that everybody magically knows about when they think Amiga, but to enter it you have to pay first? Doesn't sound like something that could work. If you search for 'Amiga forum' on Google the first page of results has you covered. For me the first result for 'Amiga help' is even EAB I still fail to see the point what is so confunsing about it.
He could have used advertising to make the money to fund new projects.
Old 13 June 2023, 16:23   #289
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

It's a fundamental dodgy sales technique... invent a problem no one knew they suffered from, then offer to sell the solution for an inflated price.
Old 13 June 2023, 16:23   #290
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

People that don't know anything about the Amiga 'scene' would still need to find it. What would make that so different to how it is now?
Old 13 June 2023, 16:24   #291
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
He could have used advertising to make the money to fund new projects.
Yeah... that's why he planned a subscription model.
Old 13 June 2023, 17:11   #292
Bren McGuire

mate this might come as a surprise to you but it is the year of our lord two thousand twenty and three and all this information can be found almost anywhere by any person this kickstarter was allegedly aimed at who are probably already amiga owners for decades who are computer savvy enough to just figure things out

also are you talking about the higly hypothetic case of a 'new amiga user'? there aren't (m)any of those out there and this kickstarter was CLEARLY aimed at seasoned amiga people, anyone who would know who DP is anyway

lets stop finding excuses for this poor behavior DP has nothing to offer to the Amiga scene he never did and he doesnt care. someone asked him in facebook if he owned an amiga and he basically said he only touched one once in his life in a recording studio!! not only is he not a contributing member of the Amiga community he never contributed anything we should be thankful to him for!

Quote:
When my mate gave me an A1200 ~6 years ago I trawled the internet to find out about it. I had an A500+ back in the day but C= went bust and I needed a SNES in my life for SF2.

Being new to the scene it seemed like a jumbled mess of thousands of resources which boggled my mind. I didnt realise back then that David was also new to the scene, but in one interview he mentioned that there needs to be a central place for everyone to go for info an help and he wanted to do it.

This made a lot of sense to me and I understand why he wants this. I think everyone calling him out as a grifter etc is missing his mission. To me he wants to try to take charge of what he missed out on when C= uk were pipped at the post.

However, the sales pitch was way off and its ruined something that could have been brilliant, potentially.
Old 13 June 2023, 17:19   #293
ItsTheSmell

His name brings more weight than yours, or mine. He could have done something with it and I hoped he could. But he didn't.
Old 13 June 2023, 18:52   #294
Paulee_Alex_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
mate this might come as a surprise to you but it is the year of our lord two thousand twenty and three and all this information can be found almost anywhere by any person this kickstarter was allegedly aimed at who are probably already amiga owners for decades who are computer savvy enough to just figure things out

also are you talking about the higly hypothetic case of a 'new amiga user'? there aren't (m)any of those out there and this kickstarter was CLEARLY aimed at seasoned amiga people, anyone who would know who DP is anyway

lets stop finding excuses for this poor behavior DP has nothing to offer to the Amiga scene he never did and he doesnt care. someone asked him in facebook if he owned an amiga and he basically said he only touched one once in his life in a recording studio!! not only is he not a contributing member of the Amiga community he never contributed anything we should be thankful to him for!
In terms of new Amiga users who are attracted to the machine for musical purposes, I’ve done a one stop shop video on everything you might want to explore, and what roads you might want to go down, emulation, real machines etc, with tonnes of links to EAB, YouTube channels, etc.

So that’s one big area covered at least. Just done out of the goodness of my heart to guide people. I’m sure other people have made similar efforts in other areas like graphics, games etc.
Old 13 June 2023, 19:54   #295
Reido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulee_Alex_Bow View Post
In terms of new Amiga users who are attracted to the machine for musical purposes, I’ve done a one stop shop video on everything you might want to explore, and what roads you might want to go down, emulation, real machines etc, with tonnes of links to EAB, YouTube channels, etc.

So that’s one big area covered at least. Just done out of the goodness of my heart to guide people. I’m sure other people have made similar efforts in other areas like graphics, games etc.
Very interested, link please!
Old 13 June 2023, 20:06   #296
Paulee_Alex_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reido View Post
Very interested, link please!
No worries. The newbie information wasn’t even the focus of the video, but I felt it was essential to include as entering the world of Amiga can be a little tricky.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 June 2023, 21:05   #297
Reido

Excellent, thank you. Looking forward to checking this out!
Old 14 June 2023, 04:40   #298
vk3heg

Has DJP asked or posted anything in the Amiga forums at all?

When I came back the first thing I did was a google search and found EAB/Amiga.org (In a sad state now)... Plus all the other language sites...

Been here on EAB ever since, even though I don't post as often as some others...
Old 14 June 2023, 05:11   #299
grelbfarlk

Yes, I have been waiting on DJP to post on the finer points of assembly or maybe his proposed updates to graphics.library. Maybe he finally finished the plans for RTG in ROM, I am looking forward to slapping that in the RTG socket on my Piccolo or EGS Spectrum or Merlin.
He may have a 8chan 16bit Paula replacement that is all taped out and just needs to get etched.
Old 14 June 2023, 08:46   #300
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk3heg View Post
Has DJP asked or posted anything in the Amiga forums at all?
Not that I know of. You'd think if you want to create a directory of 'sites' you would at least check some of them and advertise your idea there first.