English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 20 August 2013, 18:17   #281
jbl007

Quote:
This entails creating a udev rule to automatically set read permissions for all mice when they are connected.
I thought about udev-rules too and I searched the net. Most people out there create udev-rules by product/vendor-id, but I didn't like that, because this is of course very device specific. So I looked around in the filesystem tree, found predefined rules and came up with this solution
Code:
$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/99-rmouse.rules 
ENV{ID_INPUT_MOUSE}=="1", MODE:="0644"
But I think your bInterface*-solution is better because it is more generic.

Edit:
Code:
udevadm trigger --subsystem-match=input
is a clean way to apply the changes.

So we have a shiny mouse driver now. But it doesn't get activated by default, does it? Are there plans for changing this?

With the line "joystick_port_0 = $NAME_OF_MY_MOUSE" in the config, the mouse is configured as a joystick, so "joystick_port_0_mode = mouse" is also needed...

Last edited by jbl007; 20 August 2013 at 18:32.
Old 20 August 2013, 18:50   #282
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl007 View Post
Code:
$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/99-rmouse.rules 
ENV{ID_INPUT_MOUSE}=="1", MODE:="0644"
But I think your bInterface*-solution is better because it is more generic.
Perhaps, or perhaps ENV{ID_INPUT_MOUSE}=="?*" is better and can also match some kind of non-HID mouse devices? I don't know -Probably not relevant, I guess most input devices are HID nowadays anyway.

Quote:
So we have a shiny mouse driver now. But it doesn't get activated by default, does it? Are there plans for changing this?
Good question... For now, it seemed most safe to leave the "old default" in place since that is known to work. But on the other hand, the new mouse input system seems to perform better on all platforms where it works.

Another point is that with the new drivers, it can be a bit more random which mouse is "first" in the list (trackpad, external mouse, possibly other peripherals with a HID mouse interface etc), and that could perhaps cause unexpected behavior for new users ("the mouse does not work"). One idea is to include a new "Virtual Mouse" when one or more "real devices" are detected - and hide the old "Mouse" device. The Virtual Mouse could be programmed to receive inputs from all real devices - making it work more or less like the old mouse support.

So with more testing and consideration, I guess the new mouse drivers will be used by default - unless no mice are reported, in which case the old "Mouse" device would be enabled.

(Another problem is that on *BSD systems, the XInput2 driver will detect the real mouse devices, but will not receive input from the mice while FS-UAE has input grab. That can be handled simply by not using the multiple mice feature on *BSD - or do some other workaround).

Quote:
With the line "joystick_port_0 = $NAME_OF_MY_MOUSE" in the config, the mouse is configured as a joystick, so "joystick_port_0_mode = mouse" is also needed...
Ah, probably some code which assumes that device (not called "mouse") is a joystick... I'll check it out

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 20 August 2013 at 18:59.
Old 22 August 2013, 00:27   #283
rsl

-bug-report-
found a small issue with the launcher.
tried to import a kickrom already in my kickroms-folder, fs-uae-launcher erased the kickrom.

Old 22 August 2013, 23:52   #284
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

FS-UAE 2.3.5dev

A new development version has been released. Changes in FS-UAE 2.3.5dev:
  • Can open block devices as HDF files on OpenBSD [Edd Barrett / vext01].
  • Full stereo separation by default (was 70%).
  • Use “enhanced” audio filter when Amiga model is A1200 or A4000.
  • Fixed bug where the new FPS led status would overwrite floppy drive leds.
  • (Launcher) Fixed a bug where new A500 configs could refuse to start because “kickstart was not found” (2.3.4).
  • (Launcher) Better support for .7z (where available), but very inefficient, works best for having a few ADFs in each .7z archive, not WHDLoad archives.
  • (Launcher) Can start WHDLoad slaves from archives where the slave is in the root directory and not in a sub-directory.
  • (Game Center) Create a log file in a similar manner as FS-UAE Launcher.
  • (Game Center) Added python-opengl, python-numpy as Debian dependencies.
  • (Game Center) Was missing from suite installer for Windows (fixed).
Old 23 August 2013, 15:20   #285
yesplease

Full stereo separation, nice one! Will check the double mouse support at weekend too. 1986 or so I wrote an amiga app where you could draw lines with 2 mices plugged in simultanously. Will fire it up the next days and see how brave FS-UAE behaves on this one. Anyone interested? hehe

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 23 August 2013 at 16:17. Reason: fixed smiley
Old 23 August 2013, 20:11   #286
jbl007

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
  • Full stereo separation by default (was 70%).
Just in case someone doesn't like it (like me )
use the following line for your configs:
Code:
uae_sound_stereo_separation=7
Sounds better with headphones!
Old 23 August 2013, 21:25   #287
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Yes, some crossfeed is preferable with headphones, I imagined most systems had some kind of "headphone mode" which already did this, and therefore better to avoid doing it twice. But perhaps it isn't that widespread...

Another possibility is to have two settings (sound separation for "normal mode" and sound separation for "headphones mode"), and a toggle switch in FS-UAE to switch headphone mode on/off...
Old 23 August 2013, 21:29   #288
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Another possibility is to have two settings (sound separation for "normal mode" and sound separation for "headphones mode"), and a toggle switch in FS-UAE to switch headphone mode on/off...
The audio settings dialog is very empty in the launcher anyway...
(aka +1 for that idea )
Old 23 August 2013, 22:33   #289
yesplease

Tried my home-brewed 68k self coded two mouse drawing simultaneously prg (one red line the other a green line). And I can confirm that dual mouse mode works excellent in 2.3.5

If you like to test it yourself, copy the contents of the zip i.e. the file prg and the folder libs and sounds to your amiga file system and call 'prg' from CLI. With click to the red mouse you get back to the CLI.

seems only compatible with Kickstart1.1 - 1.3
Attached Files
File Type: zip two_mouse_demo.zip (35.0 KB, 160 views)

Last edited by yesplease; 24 August 2013 at 17:08.
Old 24 August 2013, 09:24   #290
yesplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
-bug-report-
tried to import a kickrom already in my kickroms-folder, fs-uae-launcher erased the kickrom.

bug confirmed from my side, it erased my rom KS1.3 too. Got it back from Time Machine now.

multiple mice: after some more testing, I think the new mouse driver is way to sensible, i.e. the mouse pointer moves too fast. With old driver the mouse speed is comfortable, but of course no dual mouse mode.
@Frode: can we adjust the speed?

UPDATE: in workbench preferences I am able to adjust three different mouse speeds. The middle one is okay. But what is with self bootable ADFs?

Last edited by yesplease; 24 August 2013 at 09:42.
Old 24 August 2013, 09:33   #291
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You can either specify it in the launcher under preferences:

Or by setting mouse_speed in your config: http://fs-uae.net/options#mouse_speed
Old 24 August 2013, 09:47   #292
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

@yesplease and/or @rsl, can you provide steps to reproduce the kickstart-erase problem? When importing kickstarts, the launcher does delete an existing one (with the same name) in case there is a permission problem preventing overwrites (this solved an actual problem with kickstarts copied from a CD, with read-only permissions). But then it should of course proceed with coping the replacement file...

Logs are probably useful as well, after it has deleted a kickstart file by accident (but quit FS-UAE Launcher first)
Old 24 August 2013, 10:48   #293
jbl007

Try to import your Kickstarts from $BASEDIR/Kickstarts.
The launcher deletes it first, then tries to copy the file, but (of course) it doesn't exist anymore.

Some kind of if sourcedir=targetdir, don't delete/copy, just scan - code is needed.
Old 24 August 2013, 10:52   #294
yesplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
You can either specify it in the launcher under preferences:

Or by setting mouse_speed in your config: http://fs-uae.net/options#mouse_speed

1. Okay, found the mouse speed setting. When I set it to 10% the speed on the apple magic mouse is perfect, but now the speed on the second mouse in my case a microsoft mouse is too slow.

It doesn't matter in which amiga joystick port the two mice are connected. Should we have two speed settings ???

2. second problem the value of 10% is not saved. I.e. on restart it is again empty. UPDATE: even if you set it and closing dialog box and open it again, the previously entered value is not shown.

But the two mice feature is absolutely compelling to me, yeah !!

Last edited by yesplease; 24 August 2013 at 18:48.
Old 24 August 2013, 10:55   #295
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Try to import your Kickstarts from $BASEDIR/Kickstarts.
The launcher deletes it first, then tries to copy the file, but (of course) it doesn't exist anymore.
Er... import should just copy the files into the kickstarts folder, so that step makes no sense. Would make more sense to prevent 'importing' from that folder to begin with indeed. Every other folder works fine (and so does just scanning the folder...).
Old 24 August 2013, 11:31   #296
jbl007

If it makes sense or dot doesn't matter. It just should not happen. At least for 3 people in this thread it made sense.
I wanted change back to the default settings, so i deleted the config files, imported from the same dir and... boom.

I made changes to ImportTask.py. This fixes the bug.

Code:
   74     def copy_file(self, src, dst):
   75         if not os.path.exists(os.path.dirname(dst)):
   76             os.makedirs(os.path.dirname(dst))
   77         if src != dst:
   78             with self.log_lock:
   79                 self.log_lines.append(_("Copy {0}\nto {1}").format(src, dst))
   80             if os.path.exists(dst):
   81                 # try to remove the file first, in case the file has read-only
   82                 # permissions
   83                 try:
   84                     os.remove(dst)
   85                 except Exception:
   86                     pass
   87             shutil.copy(src, dst)
   88         else:
   89             with self.log_lock:
   90                 self.log_lines.append(_("Not copying {0}\nbecause source and destination are the same").format(src))

Last edited by jbl007; 24 August 2013 at 12:54.
Old 24 August 2013, 16:04   #297
rsl

Quote:
... I wanted change back to the default settings, so i deleted the config files, imported from the same dir and... boom.
this was exactly my usage scenario.
ok, imho it's kind of stupid to import from/to the same kick-file, but it's good to make shure this can't happen and you end up with 'uhhh, where's my kickrom gone!?'

Old 24 August 2013, 16:40   #298
yesplease

Quote:
@yesplease and/or @rsl, can you provide steps to reproduce the kickstart-erase problem?

Logs are probably useful as well, after it has deleted a kickstart file by accident (but quit FS-UAE Launcher first)
@Frode: can't reproduce it. Yesterday I still had v2.2.2, when I fired up the version 2.3.5 than as far as I remember at the right top of launcher it asks me to scan kickstarts or so … Like rsl I had them already imported into the kickstart folder, so no need to reimport, but also being a bit "stupid" like rsl I also told launcher to scan that kickstart folder. When I did that it complained about something in a dialog box. but I can't exactly remember the text but it mentioned the file kickstart1.3. When I later looked to the kickstart folder, kick13.rom wasn't there anymore. Went to Time Machine and restored the file. Afterwards everything was ok for me.

When I start Launcher now, than in the right top there is nothing which asks me to scan. When I start scanning from the left most menu, everything is ok and it recognizes all kickstarts I own.

I had a look in the log file, but nothing special.. you find it here attached…

@jbl007: yep that exactly was the scenario, good you solved it.

Last edited by yesplease; 30 August 2013 at 10:46.
Old 24 August 2013, 21:28   #299
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
-bug-report-
Alright, confirmed (It just didn't occur to me that people would import *from* the kickstarts folder. I'll fix! The fix is more or less what jbl007 suggested, except paths should also be normalized before comparing

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesplease View Post
It doesn't matter in which amiga joystick port the two mice are connected. Should we have two speed settings ???
I suppose then that the ideal solution would be to have per-device-type mouse speed and not per-port (so you can also swap ports without "speed issues". That's a bit more work... Will have to sleep on this one (Or just demand that people buy multiple mice of the same brand/model ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesplease View Post
2. second problem the value of 10% is not saved. I.e. on restart it is again empty. UPDATE: even if you set it and closing dialog box and open it again, the previously entered value is not shown.
Is it possible that this only happens with a version other than the latest development version? Can you double-check with version 2.3.5dev? (I have not managed to reproduce the problem on Windows...)
Old 25 August 2013, 08:23   #300
yesplease

Quote:
Is it possible that this only happens with a version other than the latest development version? Can you double-check with version 2.3.5dev? (I have not managed to reproduce the problem on Windows...)
OSX Launcher 2.3.5. launcher->Preferences ('cmd'+',') -> input settings-> enter value of 10 ->close button->Preferences ('cmd'+',') -> input settings-> no value

The odd thing is, that it remembers correctly the state of the default checkbox button left to the value.

UPDATE: after restart of launcher the slow value (=10) is active in amiga. So my guess it's a binding problem to the input field. Which becomes problematic if the dialog is revisited and close button is clicked, because it saves the empty value...

Last edited by yesplease; 25 August 2013 at 12:12.