English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 April 2013, 02:17   #2941
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
I never did complete it. Loved the sound effects! Pow! Hup hup! lol I guess there is probably a trainer version that I can now access to complete it!
Lol. I've been good so far not to succumb to using the trainer. If the temptation gets too much, that's when I switch to another game.

Crikey - gotta get up in five hours. Just one more go on Steel Wheel....
Old 30 April 2013, 03:30   #2942
NovaCoder

I brought the full CDROM version of the classic point & click 'Full Throttle' recently (never played it through before).

I'm currently playing it on my AGA Amiga and did a little video here -> [ Show youtube player ]

So far it's really good, speed and sound quality is excellent (yes of course I'm stuck).

Old 30 April 2013, 08:35   #2943
lesta_smsc

Re: What are you playing?

Full throttle is a great game. Hadn't considered playing it on Amiga as I had pc version. I'm sure the experience would've been nicer with the Amiga graphics and sound
Old 30 April 2013, 11:51   #2944
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
I'm sure the experience would've been nicer with the Amiga graphics and sound
I'm really not sure about that, since it's a lot of 'real' music and sampled voices. Not much use for Paula's strong points Same for the graphics with pre-rendered scenes. By no means I mean that it looks worse on Amiga, but especially Full Throttle and The Dig were clearly meant for PC CD and its capabilities (and thus were weaker adventures in a way IMO...).
Old 30 April 2013, 14:24   #2945
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
I'm really not sure about that, since it's a lot of 'real' music and sampled voices. Not much use for Paula's strong points Same for the graphics with pre-rendered scenes. By no means I mean that it looks worse on Amiga, but especially Full Throttle and The Dig were clearly meant for PC CD and its capabilities (and thus were weaker adventures in a way IMO...).
I actually like that fact that Full Throttle was designed for CDROM, that's why they had room for all of the rendered 3D models which are mixed really well with the traditional 2D animations, it's art

Of course hard drive space is so cheap these days, we can simply copy the entire CDROM's data on to the hard drive. And to play this on my A1200 somehow feels 'right', maybe it's because it plays so close to how the game would have been on a (high-end) PC when it was originally released.
Old 30 April 2013, 21:05   #2946
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Thanks! I feel better now
Old 30 April 2013, 23:29   #2947
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

I really enjoyed playing Full Throttle a few years back but then again I like pretty much most of LucasArt adventure games. There is one I've yet to play: The Dig but read that it got "average" ratings at the time. Guess I'll have to make my own mind up on that one when I get hold of it.

Currently playing: Die Hard (Arcade). Couldn't get this game to work a few years back and now it is! Not a bad game by all means. The characters move pretty realistically even though they don't look like real people. It plays similar to the likes of Final Fight and Double Dragon and there are apparently tons of levels (how many in all, I don't have a clue) so I'm hoping the Save State option works...
Old 02 May 2013, 00:58   #2948
Lord Riton

Dead Space 3, on my xbox 360. Am at chapter 16 from apparently 19.

I seriously find DS3 a less good game than DS2, which is one of my all time favorit games (finished all achievments 1250/1250 on DS2).

DS1: you really will know what the word FEAR means , for me it's a bit to much fear even. I finished it, but playing it in many short sessions, because i could not stand to play it for over an hour in a row.. to much stress, especially if you play in the night, alone, with a head set

DS2: the perfect game, still a lot of fear, and also a lot of action, the perfect mix, ...for me at least.

DS3: almost at DS2 level on the first half of the game (befor you come to the planet), but a lot less fear, and really to much action sometimes. The worst of the 3 DS games for me. Disapointing !
Old 02 May 2013, 09:03   #2949
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

DS2 the perfect game :/ How tastes can differ Its a good thing, now I have a reason to take out the glove and slap you in the face with it. Have at you! *slap*
Old 02 May 2013, 09:48   #2950
Lord Riton

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
DS2 the perfect game :/ How tastes can differ Its a good thing, now I have a reason to take out the glove and slap you in the face with it. Have at you! *slap*
I seriously love that game, played it so much !
Don't know if you played and finished it, but if not, YOU SHOULD !!!
Old 02 May 2013, 10:46   #2951
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Hello, look a little bit up in this thread Yes I finished it and I played it quite slowly, not rushing through it. It was alright, far from perfect if I treat it as a game. Its very linear, very repetitive and ultimately has very little story, very few puzzles and lacks fear factor. The ending boss battle, although pretty, is a joke. It is quite atmospheric however and the Hollywood action movie sequences are incredibly well made, plus the space flying sequences are quite fun.

But I miss the intensity and freakishness of the first game which I enjoyed a whole lot. The thing is that you get used to it; in DS1 everything was basically new. In DS2 everything is basically the same and even diminished a bit; to maintain the oomph you need to step it up and in the Deep Space franchise it goes the other way.
Old 02 May 2013, 11:15   #2952
laffer
Zone Friend

Quote:
I had no idea there was a CD version with more episodes. Now I need to check them out.
Yup, the floppy version has 6 episodes, while the CD version has 9... I was lucky enough to buy the CD version back when it was still available, apparently it's semi-rare now.
The three extra episodes aren't bad either.
Old 03 May 2013, 00:45   #2953
Lord Riton

Quote:
Its very linear, very repetitive
Well, all these kind of "halfe-life" games are like that (F.E.A.R., Doom 3, HL2, quake 4, ...) Doesn't hinder me to have great fun. And it's far from beeing a succession of halls and rooms, you offten have several doors.

Quote:
..and lacks fear factor
I also tought that it has less fear factor than DS1, and like you, i also said to myself, it's because i got used from finishing DS1. Still it has enough fear factor to me. There is also some other fear factor that adds: the challenge of doing some achievments. There is one achievment that you get when playing the game in the almost hardest mode with having only 3 saves available to finish the whole game ! It was the achievment that took me the longest (several days), and beleive me that adds a lot of fear even if you already know what happens !! Dying really meant something terrible ! And it happened a lot ! and sometimes i lost about 2 or 3 hours of gameplay, was great fun for me

But what does alter a LOT the fear factor of a game are the conditions under wich you play it. It's like day and night if you play DS2 in an internet cafe at day with lot of people arround, or if you play it alone at home, in the night, with no other sound than the sound of the game !!! People do not offten realize this enough !

Last edited by Lord Riton; 03 May 2013 at 10:37.
Old 03 May 2013, 08:24   #2954
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

internet coffee, that's a funny translation

Have at you again! *slap*
Old 03 May 2013, 20:17   #2955
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Well, the reason is that in French we use the same word (café) for both coffee (the drink or the beans) and café (the bar)
Old 03 May 2013, 21:39   #2956
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Gee thanks, now it totally doesn't look like I was making fun of poor Riton
Old 04 May 2013, 14:43   #2957
lesta_smsc

Re: What are you playing?

The itchyarseholes cheat never did work for me...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1367671393626.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	35262  
Old 04 May 2013, 15:54   #2958
rsn8887

Chip's Challenge on the PSP and netbook via Lynx emulator. What a hard but good game. I always like mixed puzzle/skill games.

Deflektor on the PSP via CPC emulator every once in a while. Again a puzzle/skill game that I thoroughly enjoy. I still cannot get very far in it, because I am always too impatient in those levels that have lots of balloons and mirrors scattered about.

Assassin's Creed 2 on PS3. I am about 3/4 of the way through. Pretty fun, although I find it a bit too easy and some parts feel more like chores than fun. In addition, the controls in this part feel laggy and sluggish. Also, I liked the graphics of part 1 better - it had a slower framerate but more details to the characters. But even with all that it is still an amazing game!
Old 04 May 2013, 16:55   #2959
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
There are homebrew ports of Deflektor and Chip's Challenge for the GBA.
So it might be more pleasing to play those via a GBA emulator on PSP (but then if you are used to the Lynx/CPC versions you might not find those more interesting):
http://www.foxysofts.com/?l=content/gba/deflektor.inc
http://www.portabledev.com/pages/gba...ce.php?lang=FR
Old 05 May 2013, 20:52   #2960
laffer
Zone Friend

Just finished episode 8 in Jazz Jackrabbit (well, episode "B"... the 6 floppy episodes are called episodes 1-6, while the three extra CD episodes are called A-C).
Some of the levels in this episode had some pretty annoying jumps!