English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga File Server

Old 28 February 2022, 07:23   #2921
Turran

Doing some power work today so need to cut power. If FTP is down today, you know why.
Old 17 March 2022, 13:43   #2922
rabidgerry

I'm just wondering how I can reset my FTP password, I've completely forgotten what it is. I setup an account ages ago.
Old 18 March 2022, 07:41   #2923
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
I'm just wondering how I can reset my FTP password, I've completely forgotten what it is. I setup an account ages ago.

PM sent
Old 22 March 2022, 06:06   #2924
Alpha One

Hi,
is anyone here using this FTP server with a Mac ?
I can only browse through the files but am not able to download anything, tested using Commander One, Cyberduck and Safari.
Old 07 April 2022, 10:33   #2925
Turran

* Fixed https://grandis.nu/turransearch when limiting search to a section that had spaces in it. This always returned no results previously (Like trying to limit the search to the "Non Amiga" section).
Thanks Brian for the report.

* Fixed an issue where selecting a limit might show results from other sections if it included the section name. For example, limiting search to the "Misc" section would show results in the "Collection" section because it had a subdir somewhere called "Misc"...

* Results are now sorted before being presented to you. Should look a bit better.

* Also, added an "Only show files" checkbox so it only returns files and not folders. This is a bit ugly so labeled it experimental for the moment. Basically, if the result does not have a dot in it, it wont be shown. There are better ways to do this but this was a quick fix.

Last edited by Turran; 07 April 2022 at 19:18.
Old 07 April 2022, 14:07   #2926
NLS
Ancient User

thanks man
Old 07 April 2022, 15:04   #2927
ransom1122

Thx Turran
Old 07 April 2022, 17:05   #2928
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
Finally I can reinstall my DamienD pack. I recently lost my emulation drive that literally died, along with my FULL MAME installation (4TB) and WinUAE with DamienD pack and CD32 complete

No warnings, just click and spinsdown and its gone. Only checked the drives a few weeks ago for health. It can be read but sees about 500MB not 6TB. It was an external 6TB external in enclosure, not USB portable. Not power supply, tried that. Its power supply works perfectly on the other external drive I use

Thanks for the continuing Amiga support and a way for us all to get updates easily in future. I also use RealDebrid so mega links download at full speed anyway with no restrictions
Let me guess.. Seagate?

I bought four 3 TB and two 6 terabyte Seagate drives about 3 years ago. As of two weeks ago, the last of the 3 TB drives had the identical failure. Click and then either dead or spin up but won't validate or access on PC.

So far, only one of the 6 TB is functional but I have been moving all the data from it to a Hitachi drive in the last week and plan on dumping that drive as soon as it is empty. I don't know what happened to Seagate but their drives have turned to crap.
Old 08 April 2022, 11:26   #2929
NLS
Ancient User

Never buying Seagate again.
Old 10 April 2022, 17:57   #2930
Turran

Heads up! Download stats from the webserver at grandis.nu, when people are searching and downloading directly using HTTP links, are now logged to the same database as if you downloaded it from the FTP.
This means 2 things.

1: Downloads made from http://grandis.nu/turransearch with HTTP links enabled are shown in the download statistics, available to registered users at https://grandis.nu/turranuser.

2: Download limit implemented. That means that if you download to much in a 7 day period from the webserver, you'll get a 7 day temporary ban from the web and FTP server. Should be fine for most people but I've noticed people bypassing certain rules by downloading tons over the webserver.
It was never intented for this. That is the reason I do not allow you to browse and download the files from the webserver. You were only meant to search and download some files here and there but people have abused it for the past few months.
If you need a few files here and there, DO NOT WORRY. You're absolutely fine to grab them from the search page at http://grandis.nu/turransearch using HTTP links still. Just don't... overdo it by grabbing hundreds of files or several gigs worth.

There are no personal information logged in the database, part from your IP and in the case of registered FTP users, your username. Who does the username belong to? I have no frigging clue.. usually =)

Last edited by Turran; 10 April 2022 at 18:13.
Old 10 April 2022, 18:33   #2931
NoX1911

I get the error '530 Sorry, your maximum number of connections from this IP (1) has been reached.'
I can browse but not download. FTP always needs 2 connections for download (control, data). Maybe that's the problem?

Linux, FileZilla, user:ftp, TLS, passive, 1 connection limit.
Old 10 April 2022, 18:42   #2932
Turran

You are logging on with the anonymous account "ftp". That is limited to 1 connection. Configure filezilla to use only one connection. There is a section on it in the first post in this thread =)

And no, FTP does not need 2 connections. Its just filezilla who likes to use it so you can keep browsing while downloading. Have to tell it not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoX1911 View Post
I get the error '530 Sorry, your maximum number of connections from this IP (1) has been reached.'
I can browse but not download. FTP always needs 2 connections for download (control, data). Maybe that's the problem?

Linux, FileZilla, user:ftp, TLS, passive, 1 connection limit.
Old 10 April 2022, 20:37   #2933
NoX1911

Ok, it works now somehow. The error seems to come up when connecting twice in a row (with disconnect) and seems to be fixed only when restarting FileZilla. Looks like 'Alpha One' above seems to have the same problem. FileZilla might be 'lazy' on closing connections.

FTP transfer always needs two connections (control connection, data connection). The 1 connection limit might count the 'data connection' only.
Quote:
passive mode may be used. In this mode, the client uses the control connection to send a PASV command to the server and then receives a server IP address and server port number from the server,[9] which the client then uses to open a data connection from an arbitrary client port to the server IP address and server port number received.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_T..._data_transfer
Old 11 April 2022, 13:11   #2934
modrobert
old bearded fool

I wrote a little bash script (Linux, Mac, BSD, etc.) to search the files locally using 'filelist.txt' extracted from '/filelist.zip' on the FTP server.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

FILE_LIST="/path/to/my/filelist.txt"

if [ $# -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "Usage: $(echo $0 | awk -F '/' '{print $NF}') \"string\""
else
    grep -a -h -i -e "$@" $FILE_LIST |
    ( while read a ; do
        echo "Path: $(echo $a | awk -F '|' '{print $3}')"
        echo "Size: $(echo $a | awk -F '|' '{print $2}')"
        echo "Date: $(echo $a | awk -F '|' '{print $1}')"
        echo "----"
    done )
fi
Looks like this when using:
Code:
$ amigrep pro-board
Path: TOSEC/Applications/Commodore Amiga - Applications - [ADF]/Pro-Board v2.0a (1988-08-09)(Prolific Inc)[cr QTX][h keyboard XRB].zip
Size: 343779
Date: 10/18/21
----
Path: TOSEC/Applications/Commodore Amiga - Applications - [ADF]/Pro-Board v2.0a (1988-08-09)(Prolific Inc)[cr QTX][WB].zip
Size: 346884
Date: 10/18/21
----
The search using 'grep' is pretty fast considering the text file 'filelist.txt' is roughly 160mb in size (here are the results from my Linux PC):
Code:
$ time amigrep "this can't be found"

real	0m0.141s
user	0m0.126s
sys	0m0.015s
Feel free to modify as needed.
Old 11 April 2022, 17:23   #2935
Turran

Regarding my previous post about the limits for how much you can download from https://grandis.nu/turransearch, it is now displayed at the bottom of the main page how much you've downloaded in the past 7 days and what the limit is.

The current set limit is a work in progress and might change.

Again, this is NOT a punishment for the everyday user. It is only meant to discourage people from bypassing the anonymous "ftp" user rules set in place and download 'a lotta giggas'.

Last edited by Turran; 11 April 2022 at 17:30.
Old 12 April 2022, 13:32   #2936
Turran

Another heads up. Google drive might go bye bye as my G Suite google subscription will change to Google Workspace and I'm not paying what they want for storage.

https://apps.google.com/supportwidge...gger_context=a

I would need to switch to Business plus with 5 users to get 5TB of storage which would be $90/month.
That would be enough for the TURRAN FTP but I also use google drive for other things that I will not be able to any more.

Guess they got tired of us that got a Gsuite account with 1 user for $13/month with unlimited drive storage (I have 41TB on it right now, heh).

That also means we will have no offsite backup. I do have several backups here of course though, but if the place burns down...

Last edited by Turran; 12 April 2022 at 13:52.
Old 12 April 2022, 14:32   #2937
chip

Never thinked to offsite backup really

I have two backups of my stuff (743 GB), but they are "normal" external hard disks
Old 12 April 2022, 15:46   #2938
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

For offsite backups all you really need are two or three large SSDs and a safety deposit box.
Old 14 April 2022, 10:03   #2939
Turran

Started to remove links to the Google Drive backup as it'll stop working soon anyway.

I've been in contact with Google and got a few solutions but they are all expensive and I'm not putting in the time and money for something I don't really like anyway. I just had it because it was included in the cost of my GSuite Enterprise account, which is now being migrated to Google Workspace with much worse storage solutions.
Old 15 April 2022, 01:27   #2940
Nerces

Can't wait to get my 50 messages so I can check on the FTP. Thank you for all the work Turran.
By the way, one simple question: I'm looking for hard drive versions of Amiga games in french language. Do you have some of those on your FTP? Thanks.