English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 01 June 2024, 23:04   #261
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiCiJi View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. "Write protected" and "read-only" are independent of each other.
Actually, my mistake. I meant both, .adf and .zip as read-only!

PS.
Today I devoted a little more time to testing than usual. The reason is that I like this emulator more and more.

Last edited by amilo3438; 01 June 2024 at 23:13.
Old 02 June 2024, 19:25   #262
PiCiJi

Quote:
Originally Posted by amilo3438
Today I devoted a little more time to testing than usual. The reason is that I like this emulator more and more.

nightly:

Quote:
I also don't know if the dongle is implemented in the adapter or is it special!?
The adapter actually acts as copy protection for Dynablaster, since Player 1 has to be plugged into port 3.

- added 4-player adapter supported games

Since there is no port 3 or 4 directly on the Amiga, I have also dispensed with it in the emulation. For this purpose, there is a device "four player adapter", which is inserted into port 2 or 1. This is not quite true, since it ends up in the parallel port. But it should be kept as simple as possible. Within this adapter, 3 joysticks can now be prepared. first of them is the normal controller for this port. If you want to use the keyboard as a joystick replacement, you should pay attention to the fact that some keys also have a different function. The setting "prioritize double assignments" controls for which device of the keys input is processed. The Turbo functions are also available for joysticks in port 3/4. Denise has 3 types of continuous fire:
1. the traditional continuous fire
2. Continuous touchless autofire. The continuous fire happens here without the need to press a button. The assigned button only serves as an on/off switch. Pressing the normal fire button suppresses this continuous fire, e.g. to charge the mega shot.
3. Continuous fire for shaking games, which is used for the left/right directional buttons to control some sport games.

Gaunlet 2 is a good game to test the 4 player adapter.
Old 02 June 2024, 19:56   #263
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
nightly:

The adapter actually acts as copy protection for Dynablaster, since Player 1 has to be plugged into port 3.

- added 4-player adapter supported games
Thanks for Dynablaster and 4-player adapter!

For info...
Quote:
Originally Posted by amilo3438 View Post
And it's probably not that simple either, because the wizard Toni, I assume, would have already implemented it in his emulator.
It's already implemented into WinUAE also... just need to choose "Emulated parallel joystick adapter" from Game ports!

Btw.
There is one option in WinUAE under "Game ports" called "Mouse speed" that I would like to see in Denise as well. (if possible)
Sometimes the movement of the mouse is too short/too sensitive, and this option allows it to increase its movement path.

Last edited by amilo3438; 03 June 2024 at 15:52.
Old 03 June 2024, 22:29   #264
PiCiJi

Quote:
There is one option in WinUAE under "Game ports" called "Mouse speed" that I would like to see in Denise as well. (if possible)
Sometimes the movement of the mouse is too short/too sensitive, and this option allows it to increase its movement path.
Control->Amiga Configuration->select mouse#1 from dropdown
there is a slider to change the analog sensitivity.
this slider applies to the mapped host control ... e.g. you could map analog axis of a gamepad instead of a mouse
Note: Changing the DINPUT 5/7/8 or XINPUT driver can slightly change the movement speed with the same slider setting.
Old 04 June 2024, 13:00   #265
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
Control->Amiga Configuration->select mouse#1 from dropdown
there is a slider to change the analog sensitivity..
So there it is, thanks! I did some testing and set it to 20 to get the mouse movements as close as possible to those of a real Amiga. So now "No Second Prize" is also getting better/easier to play.

I guess this function actually does the same thing as when I change the speed (1,2,4) of the mouse walk from the workbench prefs/prefereces!? (or is there any difference?)

Edit:
I measured my current mouse DPI with this: https://mousedpianalyzer.com/ (and it shows ~1000 DPI on distance ~5 inches)
Also, does the analog sensitivity setting to 20 means 1/5 of measured 1000, ie. 200 DPI in denise emulator!?
Now I wonder what was the original tank amiga mouse DPI!?

Edit2:
Well, maybe "ShufflepuckCafe" is other good candidate for testing analog sensitivity mouse settings.
I wonder if you could check the same game on a real amiga with an original tank mouse and roughly measure the DPI of the mouse on your PC (see above link) and determine the analog sensitivity settings that would most closely match the original.

Edit3:
After testing some games, I conclude that my choice of 20 proved to be good enough compared to the default settings of 50.
(I don't know if this applies universally or if it depends on the DPI of the mouse someone is using?)

Quote:
Note: Changing the DINPUT 5/7/8 or XINPUT driver can slightly change the movement speed with the same slider setting.
It was on RawInput and now I tested it with others too!
Seems only DirectInput5 makes noticable difference in movement!
Also, I noticed that with RawInput feels more lag than with others!
Why is there so many choices with Input Drivers!? (which is best for W10)

Last edited by amilo3438; 04 June 2024 at 21:16.
Old 04 June 2024, 21:46   #266
PiCiJi

Quote:
Also, does the analog sensitivity setting to 20 means 1/5 of measured 1000, ie. 200 DPI in denise emulator!?
No. the default 50 means, that the host mouse driver reported (1:1) delta movement is used in emulation.
A value, lower or higher 50 adjusts this value.

This default setting does not describe the DPI of an Amiga mouse. There are several circumstances here that make it difficult to specify a correct value, which can be determined completely independently of the hardware used. On the one hand, I have no information about the DPI set in the host at the moment and on the other hand, I could imagine that an old "tank" mouse does not work like a modern mouse. Old C64 mice, for example, use a quadrature encoder. I have no idea what this looks like on an old Amiga mouse.

- from my C64 mouse emulation -
Quote:
* purpose: quadrature encoder
* a modern mouse periodically sends position updates. (digital)
* most retro devices sends quadrature signals (analog)
* in a quadrature mouse, the output would be a constant flow of information
* with the frequency of the pulses indicating how far the mouse has moved.
I don't do this in Amiga mouse emulation, because my modern Amiga Laser mouse doesn't feel like this and I don't have an original Amiga mouse for comparison.
Later I will add "quadrature encoder" mouse emulation as an alternative.

Yes, a lower default value definitely makes more sense. My laser mouse on the real device is also much slower in movement than default rate of modern mouse.

Quote:
Why is there so many choices with Input Drivers!? (which is best for W10)
ask this Microsoft. :-)
rawinput is the latest from Windows 7 upwards. some users prefer direct input 8.
All these Windows drivers do not transmit the same behavior. The default behavior for DInput5 differs significantly. However, this driver is from XP times and probably adapted to the mice common at that time.
Old 04 June 2024, 22:08   #267
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
Old C64 mice, for example, use a quadrature encoder. I have no idea what this looks like on an old Amiga mouse.
Maybe this could help:

Amiga Tank Mouse Repair --> [ Show youtube player ]

Amiga 500 Tank Mouse - Restoration & How It Works --> [ Show youtube player ]

Edit:
I guess the old tank amiga mouse in not different from an old C64 mouse in the way how it's working. In fact, the first video at 8:30 says otherwise.

Quote:
ask this Microsoft. :-)
rawinput is the latest from Windows 7 upwards. some users prefer direct input 8.
I was thinking why did you offer so many choices for driver input.
Yes, direct input 8 seems like good choice.

Last edited by amilo3438; 04 June 2024 at 22:45.
Old 04 June 2024, 22:48   #268
PiCiJi

Quote:
Yes, a lower default value definitely makes more sense. My laser mouse on the real device is also much slower in movement than default rate of modern mouse.
Fallacy ... I just tried mouse movement in Workbench on a real device.
a value of 45 in emulation match real one best.
That's probably the reason why I left this default value a year ago.
Is your mouse set up very quickly in Windows that you have to slow it down so much in the emulation?

I'll get myself a "tank" mouse. ... I have to feel the difference to the laser mouse. with beautiful heavy mouse ball :-)

Last edited by PiCiJi; 05 June 2024 at 19:38.
Old 04 June 2024, 23:02   #269
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
Is your mouse set up very quickly in Windows that you have to slow it down so much in the emulation?
I checked in windows mouse properties on pointer options tab:
mouse motion is in the middle and enhance pointer precision is unchecked.

I checked with other values and it seems that has no influence to mouse movement in emulation.

Maybe my mouse has higher DPI, so that could be the reason.

Btw.
That what you quoted in #268 is not my post, than yours from #266.

EDIT:
Found some new problem...
- enable display volume in options/on screen status
- now move the volume slider somewhere on new position
- open amiga/system management... after closing it, the volume slider will reset to its initial position
- and d&d a disk to emu screen will reset slider too, or also going to full screen and back

SkyChase (1988)(Image Works)[2610] ... Start to load but soon exit to CLI! (same in WinUAE)

Last edited by amilo3438; 05 June 2024 at 19:49.
Old 05 June 2024, 19:39   #270
PiCiJi

Quote:
That what you quoted in #268 is not my post, than yours from #266.
fixed. It's a pity that you can't mark a quote and then press "Insert quote". I think the forum software is well outdated, compared to the convenient operation of "forum64".

Quote:
Maybe my mouse has higher DPI, so that could be the reason.
my mouse has 1000 DPI.

I guess you're comparing more with the Tank Mouse and I with the optical one. I tried No Second Prize and Shuffle Cafe. That's right for Shuffle Cafe is a little slower more pleasant. I set the default value to 40.

Note: I read that rawInput driver do not take into account mouse acceleration enabled in Windows, but dinput does. Furthermore, it is important to understand that when Vsync is activated, the mouse movement lags if the monitor refresh rate and emu speed deviate too much.
In general, you should not activate Vsync if the emu is running at 50 Hz, but the monitor is running at 60 Hz, for example.

yup volume slider is buggy. I had built it in such a way that if you remove it from the status bar, the volume goes back up to 100% to prevent the user from having no sound but not seeing the setting for it. Something must have gone wrong.

Last edited by PiCiJi; 05 June 2024 at 20:24.
Old 07 June 2024, 16:58   #271
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Reminder from my post #269:
SkyChase (1988)(Image Works)[2610] ... Start to load but soon exit to CLI! (same in WinUAE)

Quote:
my mouse has 1000 DPI.
I guess you're comparing more with the Tank Mouse and I with the optical one. I tried No Second Prize and Shuffle Cafe. That's right for Shuffle Cafe is a little slower more pleasant. I set the default value to 40.
So same as my mouse. Yes, the tank mouse is a lot slower, so maybe a value of 20-25 (or something like that) is more suitable for it, but a value of 40 works quite well in most things, like for example Space Harrier.

FYI... now there are only 1/5 games left to test! (from the group we are testing)

Last edited by amilo3438; 07 June 2024 at 17:08.
Old 07 June 2024, 20:44   #272
jbl007

Quote:
mainly interesting for Linux peopleI have changed build system from self written makefile to cmake.
The new build system works fine on Ubuntu, also works on Gentoo with some quirks. On Arch Linux it fails very early with missing include (see log). Any idea what's wrong there? I also could test other distros if you want.I think the best way to distribute Denise is a Flatpak. I'm not a fan of this format, but people seem to like it. Right now Denise flies way too much under the radar, IMHO... which is a shame for this great piece of software. Maybe we should ping some distros to include it in their repos.
Attached Files
File Type: txt arch-buildlog.txt (4.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 08 June 2024, 22:58   #273
PiCiJi

Quote:
registered
Quote:
FYI... now there are only 1/5 games left to test! (from the group we are testing)
Sounds good. The next version is coming soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl007
The new build system works fine on Ubuntu, also works on Gentoo with some quirks. On Arch Linux it fails very early with missing include (see log). Any idea what's wrong there?
This is a compiler error. I guess g++ 13. I'm working with version 12.3.
Which version is in use?
The CXX compiler identification is GNU 14.1.1
should work in Manjaro
I had already thought about such a Flatpak. I'll have to see how much effort that takes.
Old 09 June 2024, 19:43   #274
PiCiJi

Quote:
On Arch Linux it fails very early with missing include (see log). Any idea what's wrong there?
It's not a GCC version problem.
fixed cmake config file. fix is in master branch.
git pull
cmake should notice the change. if not clean up before
cmake -B builds/release
cmake --build builds/release --target clean

Quote:
Gentoo with some quirks
if it's the ARCH rpath problem of binary while installing, it's fixed too.

Quote:
I also could test other distros if you want.
Thanks, that would be helpful.

Quote:
same on real device with Gotek
on CLI input skychase and it loads
I would really be interested to know if the original disk behaves exactly the same. Maybe there is a collector here who could test it. Does it make sense to ask about this in a more appropriate place?

EDIT: completed Copper Blitter conflict emulation.
Currently, this is not yet in the master branch, but in a second branch. The next version will be released within the next 2 weeks and it would just be too hot to put it in there. Because if this bug occurs, the Blitter can overwrite the Copper List. If I don't have the entry condition quite right, it will be ugly.

ok last one is the audio slider bug.

Last edited by PiCiJi; 09 June 2024 at 22:25.
Old 10 June 2024, 14:44   #275
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Quote:
same on real device with Gotek
on CLI input skychase and it loads
I would really be interested to know if the original disk behaves exactly the same. Maybe there is a collector here who could test it. Does it make sense to ask about this in a more appropriate place?
So, with a slightly better analysis of the 1988 disk using the HOL database for SkyChase (1988)(Image Works)[2610] ... which does not start automatically, but needs input from the cli with "Skychase"!

By looking at s/startup-sequence, the name of the startup file is not written!
Also, on the disk from 1988 it says: "Please refer to enclosed loading instructions"! https://amiga.abime.net/disk/1901-20...sk0.jpg?v=3019

So from all of this it looks like the disk might be fine.

P.S.
The Budget version from 1990 starts automatically!
SkyChase (1990)(Beau Jolly)[compilation Supreme Challenge - Flight Command][2612] ... on the disk it says to insert and reset: https://amiga.abime.net/disk/1901-20...sk1.jpg?v=3020

Quote:
EDIT: completed Copper Blitter conflict emulation.
Currently, this is not yet in the master branch, but in a second branch. The next version will be released within the next 2 weeks and it would just be too hot to put it in there. Because if this bug occurs, the Blitter can overwrite the Copper List. If I don't have the entry condition quite right, it will be ugly.
I don't know if it would be smarter to take a break and wait to test the remaining 1/5 of games with that version, or if there is some other possibility to get that version for testing earlier!?

Edit:
Or I continue with the existing one. (if there are no major changes that could affect the way it works)
Does that mean that you still don't have an example with which to provoke that bug!? (unfortunately, I don't know which demo/game it would be as an example)

Last edited by amilo3438; 10 June 2024 at 17:09.
Old 10 June 2024, 20:20   #276
PiCiJi

Quote:
Also, on the disk from 1988 it says: "Please refer to enclosed loading instructions"
yes maybe a hint. Maybe there is some stupid piece of paper in the game box and explains to the user that his Amiga will not start the game automatically.
Quote:
I don't know if it would be smarter to take a break and wait to test the remaining 1/5 of games with that version, or if there is some other possibility to get that version for testing earlier!?
nightly:
It should fix status bar slider problem.
This nightly contains the current state, including Blitter Copper bug emulation.
I can't wait too long now, because a lot of time has passed since the last version. I think it will be at the end of next week. There will be no major changes than bug fixes and I will now use the time for testing. The following nightlies are also always generated by the branch that contains the Copper Blitter Conflict emulation.
Quote:
Does that mean that you still don't have an example with which to provoke that bug!? (unfortunately, I don't know which demo/game it would be as an example)
I doubt that there is a game/demo that uses this bug for something useful and they will make sure that the bug is not triggered. To provoke the bug, I write special tests that produce a seemingly pointless graphical output. I then compare this with the original. see attachment
This conflict is now just too special for me to be included in the next version at such short notice.
Attached Files
File Type: zip cop_blt_conflict.zip (2.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by PiCiJi; 10 June 2024 at 20:33.
Old 10 June 2024, 21:28   #277
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Thanks!

By testing the very first "cop_blt_conflict1", I managed to temporarily freeze the PC after starting it with d&d on the power button, and after testing some music demos. (Ctrl+Alt+Del, Task Manager, End task helped - no big deal)

I later restarted the emulator and was unable to freeze it with any of the conflicts.

Well then, I'll continue testing with the nightly version, so we'll see! (as far as I can go)

Last edited by amilo3438; 10 June 2024 at 21:38.
Old 11 June 2024, 15:37   #278
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

One thing that I notices is the default sound of Amiga floppy drives at 100% is much silent in comparison to C64 floppy drives at 100%!? (I currently have it at 250%)

The other thing is default Amiga sound... fortunately there is a way how to improve how it sounds by using Audio/DSP!
I was experimenting with some settings and for example found one that sounds pretty nice in my headphones: (so sharing it here)

Bass boost: enabled
- cutoff freq.: 200 Hz
- gain: 5
- reduce clipping: 0.8

Reverb: off

Balance: enabled
- stereo separation: all left
- left channel: mix left: 1.00 and mix right: 0.30
- right channel: mix left: 0.30 and mix right:1.00

Also, in options/driver tab Audio driver
- freq.: 48000 Hz
- high priority
- dynamic rate delta: 0.005
- driver: wasapi exclusive
- latency: 5ms

And volume slider is at half. (Note: Enabled in options/screen status/show volume.)

Of course, these are personal preferences, which means that not everyone may like it.

One question: Does turning on DSP settings affect on sound latency? (that is set in audio driver)
Edit: Or maybe not if the CPU can execute it in time, I guess! (and my potato PC, which I use for testing, seems can still do it, without any problems)

Last edited by amilo3438; 11 June 2024 at 16:00.
Old 11 June 2024, 15:46   #279
PiCiJi

Quote:
Originally Posted by amilo3438 View Post
Thanks!

By testing the very first "cop_blt_conflict1", I managed to temporarily freeze the PC after starting it with d&d on the power button, and after testing some music demos. (Ctrl+Alt+Del, Task Manager, End task helped - no big deal)

I later restarted the emulator and was unable to freeze it with any of the conflicts.

Well then, I'll continue testing with the nightly version, so we'll see! (as far as I can go)
I guess I know what happened. If the behavior is undefined, it can happen that the emulation does not return to the user interface and thus an endless loop can be created. For critical things, I use a watcher, which automatically returns after a certain time. However, I forgot this one. It is probably also better to let the watcher run permanently instead of trying to judge critical situations such as "v/h pos" changes yourself. This should not result in a deterioration in performance.

Quote:
One thing that I notices is the default sound of Amiga floppy drives at 100% is much silent in comparison to C64 floppy drives at 100%!? (I currently have it at 250%)
I noticed that too. Unfortunately, I only have a 35 € microphone. Most of the C64 sounds were created by people who have better equipment and experience with it than I do. All sounds are located in a subfolder of the app. It is therefore possible to add a new profile without programming knowledge. The emulator then lists the subfolders as profiles. If someone can create something here, I would be grateful.

Quote:
One question: Does turning on DPS settings affect on sound latency? (that is set in audio driver)
negligible

Last edited by PiCiJi; 11 June 2024 at 16:01.
Old 11 June 2024, 19:17   #280
amilo3438
Amiga 500 User

Found something else...

- start the emulator in window, wait for boot screen and make sure that the mouse pointer is in emulator (i.e. not visible) by pressing the middle mouse button
- now on keyboard press both windows keys together and release... the windows mouse pointer will show up
- now press first the left mouse button and than middle mouse button to emulator accept it

But the windows pointer is still visible!? (confusing situation)

PS. Tested on Win10! (not sure how it behaves on other OS)

Btw. WinUAE seems block this situation somehow not allowing both win keys to be processed!

PS.
This problem appears in the game "Strike Force Harrier", where it ask to press both win keys! (that's how I found it)

-------
Striker Manager (1991)(D & H Games)(M5)[2121] ... according to HOL yet another game that require a dongle! (works in WinUAE) https://amiga.abime.net/games/view/striker-manager

Last edited by amilo3438; 11 June 2024 at 21:04.