English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 11 October 2012, 08:42   #261
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
And some infos are still missing, like "cursed", "burnt out", etc. No room in your grab for these.
Of course they're missing, and for two reasons:

1. My grab only shows that a lot can be fitted in this space.
2. Item infos are context sensitive.

Another thing: How many of those item status components, such as cursed, are there in the game? Tell me, and I'll do another mock up.

Quote:
Yes I'm talking about this area. Object info does not fit at all when you have several other things to say about the object.
I'd like to try that (see above), especially since my mock up is quite quick and dirty, and I can do better than that. I also believe that everything can be fitted

Quote:
About the map, CSB's magic map already appears here, and only shows a 7x7 area.
Yeah, that's small. Your solution is way better and easier to use.

Quote:
Graphics - and a big part of the code - are the same as what's used for CSB's magic map. So it's not such the big job it looks.
Still a job well done.

Quote:
Ok, i will add that to the todo list.
Thanks, my hand will be very happy

Quote:
Seems to be a good start you're making.
Indeed. This time I'm going to try not to miss anything.
Old 11 October 2012, 09:38   #262
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Of course they're missing, and for two reasons:

1. My grab only shows that a lot can be fitted in this space.
2. Item infos are context sensitive.

Another thing: How many of those item status components, such as cursed, are there in the game? Tell me, and I'll do another mock up.
Longest descriptive i can think of is : "(broken, cursed, poisoned and burnt out)".

Quote:
I'd like to try that (see above), especially since my mock up is quite quick and dirty, and I can do better than that. I also believe that everything can be fitted
Can be fitted perhaps, but possibly with very tight and ugly result, eh ?

Quote:
Yeah, that's small. Your solution is way better and easier to use.
Both are there anyway ; magic maps still work, and should you find one, you will see that the spells that allow it to show more things, also work for the automap (so it's far from making the magic map useless, which i feared when i did that automap).

Quote:
Still a job well done.
Apparently
I'm happy it satisfies you. I guess an automap in DM was dramatically missing ; in my young days i didn't care about making paper maps, but now...

Quote:
Thanks, my hand will be very happy
You're left-handed ?

Quote:
Indeed. This time I'm going to try not to miss anything.
Heheh
Old 14 October 2012, 15:29   #263
Don_Adan

Quote:
Seems to be just too easy. I think i will give you the source code of the routine that shows object informations, so you do it yourself .
Ok. Send to me source with english or polish comments, and I will add item infos.

Quote:
You like to brag here don't you ?
Yes, my friend. In my test attempt Linflas joined to party (one puzzle needs two heroes, but I must check other option too) and my grizzly passed None Shall Pass puzzle.

Quote:
Anyway, Lord Chaos called me on the phone and said that the grizzly called Don Adan would certainly fail at the puzzle called "world of illusions". So I don't have to worry, it's just a matter of time.
You are dreaming, my friend.
He/You was wrong in some cases. I passed Death Road, Butchery and 4 Dragons Puzzle, if I remember I can't pass these parts. But of course can exit part too hard for me to pass.

Quote:
Remember, YOUR bones will end up in the dungeon as well.
No, due nothing can kill my Grizzly, then no bones available. He is ready to Hall of Fame
Old 14 October 2012, 16:30   #264
Lord Riton

@Don_Adan: What's the point on cheating ? Just to brag you won the game ?
You are cheating yourself like that..
Old 14 October 2012, 16:54   #265
Don_Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Riton View Post
@Don_Adan: What's the point on cheating ?
Some infos about my progress.
Quote:
Just to brag you won the game ?
No. Due this is very large map and I can miss something and can't finish this game.
Quote:
You are cheating yourself like that..
This is possible.
Old 15 October 2012, 09:13   #266
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
Ok. Send to me source with english or polish comments, and I will add item infos.
Ok. Recall this to me after our bet.

Quote:
Yes, my friend. In my test attempt Linflas joined to party (one puzzle needs two heroes, but I must check other option too) and my grizzly passed None Shall Pass puzzle.
This is a dragon's agony. Destroys lots of things, but dies at the end.

Quote:
You are dreaming, my friend.
No i am not. You're already blocked.

Quote:
He/You was wrong in some cases. I passed Death Road, Butchery and 4 Dragons Puzzle, if I remember I can't pass these parts. But of course can exit part too hard for me to pass.
Yeah, sure. You can pass any monster but you cheated with save games to pass them.
Saving after each successful blow that makes "enough damage" and after every missed enemy blow, isn't "passing", it's "cheating".
No wonder why you asked me to add the "load" option in disk opts !

Quote:
No, due nothing can kill my Grizzly, then no bones available. He is ready to Hall of Fame
He can commit hara-kiri. He is ready for Hall of Fame, which is Hall of Bones in this dungeon.

Quote:
Some infos about my progress.
No this is just bragging, as you sent these infos to me by mail already.

Quote:
No. Due this is very large map and I can miss something and can't finish this game.
This is exactly what will happen. Now you're starting to accept it.
Old 18 October 2012, 02:28   #267
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Longest descriptive i can think of is : "(broken, cursed, poisoned and burnt out)".
At least burnt out is restricted to torches

Quote:
Can be fitted perhaps, but possibly with very tight and ugly result, eh ?
I was wrong. It's much harder to fit than I thought Without small icons for the cursed, poisoned, etc stuff it's not going to happen, because of the different actions the weapons have. There can be three actions, and each of these has different attack power and/or charges assigned to them, and perhaps other things. I'll give it one more shot, though.

Is it possible to have multiple pages for this? The idea would be to click the eye icon with an item and then have the first page appear. Click again to show the second page. If it's possible, then the problem would be solved.

Quote:
Both are there anyway ; magic maps still work, and should you find one, you will see that the spells that allow it to show more things, also work for the automap (so it's far from making the magic map useless, which i feared when i did that automap).
Cool, I'll look out for that map.

Quote:
Apparently
I'm happy it satisfies you. I guess an automap in DM was dramatically missing ; in my young days i didn't care about making paper maps, but now...
Yeah, as easy as it is to make a paper map in this case (for the most part), an auto map is much handier.

Quote:
You're left-handed ?
Nope, right handed here. For left handed people the keypad is fine, because they usually have the mouse at the left side of the keyboard. For right handed people however, WASD is much more conveniently placed than the keypad.

Actually, a lot of peecee games from the last ten years use WASD instead of cursor keys by default, and games that don't, usually allow redefining keys anyway. Amiga games could use this.

Anyway, I need to start playing more often. I've been playing to much Oblivion and Espgaluda lately
Old 18 October 2012, 10:12   #268
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
At least burnt out is restricted to torches
But torches can be used as ordinary weapons too.

Quote:
I was wrong. It's much harder to fit than I thought Without small icons for the cursed, poisoned, etc stuff it's not going to happen, because of the different actions the weapons have. There can be three actions, and each of these has different attack power and/or charges assigned to them, and perhaps other things. I'll give it one more shot, though.
It sure is already difficult to fit all this.

And another big problem is that many objects have properties that are hardwired in the code. Even though i move these in the object descriptor when i find some - which triggers graphics.dat incompatibilities -, i don't really know how many are still hidden.
For example, diamond edge has extra ability to pierce armor.
Or, elven boots give a few percent bonus in maximum load.

Things are even worse when several weapon abilities are used simultaneously : e.g. for thrown weapons, damage also depends on weight.
So a good but light weapon isn't necessarily better than a heavy one.

Add to all this the fact that weapons have different options that reveal during the game, which makes some of them not so useful for beginners (e.g. hardcleave) and you will maybe see that giving weapon values not only can't replace player experience, but also can be misleading. DM rules are more complex than they look ; it's not about simple "damage value" like in many other games.

Quote:
Is it possible to have multiple pages for this? The idea would be to click the eye icon with an item and then have the first page appear. Click again to show the second page. If it's possible, then the problem would be solved.
You can't really do that, as objects are shown while the game is still running, that is, in real time. Not to mention it would make the interactivity a lot different, requiring two clicks instead of one (which isn't a single click, but a held one).

Quote:
Cool, I'll look out for that map.
May be quite difficult to find in the nightmare dungeon...
But if you get it, you'll have an edge over our friend Don Adan here, who didn't find it.

Quote:
Yeah, as easy as it is to make a paper map in this case (for the most part), an auto map is much handier.
I know. It makes some puzzles a lot easier, but nevertheless is a good option even to me.

Quote:
Nope, right handed here. For left handed people the keypad is fine, because they usually have the mouse at the left side of the keyboard. For right handed people however, WASD is much more conveniently placed than the keypad.

Actually, a lot of peecee games from the last ten years use WASD instead of cursor keys by default, and games that don't, usually allow redefining keys anyway. Amiga games could use this.
I don't see the use for myself, but it shouldn't be too hard to add - once i've sorted out that complicated input code.

Quote:
Anyway, I need to start playing more often. I've been playing to much Oblivion and Espgaluda lately
Old 25 October 2012, 04:53   #269
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
But torches can be used as ordinary weapons too.
Indeed, I forgot

Quote:
And another big problem is that many objects have properties that are hardwired in the code.
Okay, lets forget this then.

Quote:
Even though i move these in the object descriptor when i find some - which triggers graphics.dat incompatibilities -, i don't really know how many are still hidden.
For example, diamond edge has extra ability to pierce armor.
Or, elven boots give a few percent bonus in maximum load.

Things are even worse when several weapon abilities are used simultaneously : e.g. for thrown weapons, damage also depends on weight.
So a good but light weapon isn't necessarily better than a heavy one.

Add to all this the fact that weapons have different options that reveal during the game, which makes some of them not so useful for beginners (e.g. hardcleave) and you will maybe see that giving weapon values not only can't replace player experience, but also can be misleading. DM rules are more complex than they look ; it's not about simple "damage value" like in many other games.
Right, that's nice Really not going to happen, then, eh?

Quote:
You can't really do that, as objects are shown while the game is still running, that is, in real time. Not to mention it would make the interactivity a lot different, requiring two clicks instead of one (which isn't a single click, but a held one).
It could be done by using several individual clicks. First time shows page one, second time show page two, etc.

Quote:
May be quite difficult to find in the nightmare dungeon...
But if you get it, you'll have an edge over our friend Don Adan here, who didn't find it.
Okay, lets find this thing then.

Quote:
I know. It makes some puzzles a lot easier, but nevertheless is a good option even to me.
Making a map by hand would have the same effect.

Quote:
I don't see the use for myself, but it shouldn't be too hard to add - once i've sorted out that complicated input code.
Why not? It should be more comfortable, or are you left-handed?

I've got a better idea for showing item infos: Just show increased stats for armor. That will fit without any problems. Alternatively, this stuff can be looked up easily on the DM encyclopedia, especially with two monitors.
Old 25 October 2012, 09:29   #270
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Right, that's nice Really not going to happen, then, eh?
Right, it's not as easy as most people think it is...

Quote:
It could be done by using several individual clicks. First time shows page one, second time show page two, etc.
This would completely change the way it's done.

Quote:
Okay, lets find this thing then.
Not an easy task

Quote:
Making a map by hand would have the same effect.
Not really. A hand drawn map doesn't show changes.

Quote:
Why not? It should be more comfortable, or are you left-handed?
No, not left-handed. I just fail to see the comfort gain here.

Quote:
I've got a better idea for showing item infos: Just show increased stats for armor. That will fit without any problems.
Armor doesn't increase stats. It's just used in damage computation.

Quote:
Alternatively, this stuff can be looked up easily on the DM encyclopedia, especially with two monitors.
Sure, and once you know the game and the objects, you just no longer need this kind of information...
Old 31 October 2012, 22:54   #271
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
This would completely change the way it's done.
Would it be difficult?

Quote:
Not an easy task
So it seems.

Quote:
Not really. A hand drawn map doesn't show changes.
That's true, and it's a bit of a pity the auto map does, but it's unavoidable. I think I'll just use the auto map for basic orientation and nothing else (I detest spoilers).

Quote:
No, not left-handed. I just fail to see the comfort gain here.
It's more ergonomic, because your hand would be in an easier position. The keypad is really in the wrong place for the left hand.

Quote:
Armor doesn't increase stats. It's just used in damage computation.
I thought some armor did...

Quote:
Sure, and once you know the game and the objects, you just no longer need this kind of information...
Perhaps that item info thing isn't all that useful then.

Any news on how Dan is coming along?
Old 01 November 2012, 08:18   #272
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Would it be difficult?
Yes, because the game doesn't stop while showing info.

Quote:
It's more ergonomic, because your hand would be in an easier position. The keypad is really in the wrong place for the left hand.
But then your hands are more distant from each other, as the keyboard is large. Perhaps not so comfortable, but, hey, it will be there in next release.

Quote:
I thought some armor did...
In Dm2, yes.

Quote:
Perhaps that item info thing isn't all that useful then.
Indeed.

Quote:
Any news on how Dan is coming along?
You mean Don ?
Old 04 November 2012, 15:47   #273
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Got a question: How many non-essential items can the dungeon hold?

Quote:
But then your hands are more distant from each other, as the keyboard is large.
Not a problem, and peecee games have been using WASD for years, because of ergonomic reasons. Try it yourself. Place your hand on the WASD area, and then on the keypad without moving your A1200, and tell me which is easier.

Quote:
it will be there in next release.
Great, thanks

Quote:
In Dm2, yes.
DM has the Cloak of Night which gives your character +8 dexterity, and there are some others, too (not many, though).

Quote:
You mean Don ?
Eh, yes

Anyway, I finally got in some good four to five hours of game play (had to tear myself away to make some food ).

Killed all of the monsters that come in the part after the Hall of Champions. Wondered around for too long and killed some of the big, yellow monsters (not the scorpions). Killed the Vexirk (spelling?) Brothers. Killed a bunch of worms. Killed a few rock piles, and killed a horde of mummies, after which I finally reached the water area. Phew!

Current levels (Halk, solo):

Fighter: Adapt
Ninja: Adapt
Priest: Journeyman
Wizard: Artisan

Time to get back playing

Last edited by Thorham; 04 November 2012 at 16:48.
Old 04 November 2012, 17:49   #274
Don_Adan

Small infos about my progress, finished Death Road quest (received Lock Picks), finished 4 Dragons quest (next key to my collection), updated Butchery quest (next key is necessary to later journey). Started seven gold quest, go to depth levels (received Green Gem), collected full Darc armor for Daroou, collected full Dragon armor for Linflas.
Daroou is:
Fighter 5th Master
Ninja 4th Master
Priest 4th Master
Wizard 4th Master
Old 04 November 2012, 18:50   #275
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Small infos about my progress, finished Death Road quest (received Lock Picks), finished 4 Dragons quest (next key to my collection), updated Butchery quest (next key is necessary to later journey). Started seven gold quest, go to depth levels (received Green Gem), collected full Darc armor for Daroou, collected full Dragon armor for Linflas.
Daroou is:
Fighter 5th Master
Ninja 4th Master
Priest 4th Master
Wizard 4th Master
Impressive But... I'm gonna catch up with you

Meynaf, how far is he?
Old 04 November 2012, 19:11   #276
Don_Adan

Quote:
Better try to find Magic Map, due perhaps I missed this item for now.
You can check: pit hole, fake wall and plate in one line combination. Also I don't checked all walls (for fake or buttons) exactly, due this map is very large (over 30 or more levels, mostly 34x34 cells).

Quote:
Meynaf, how far is he?
Perhaps this is secret, due bet with Phil. But I suspected that over 20%. For now I have ~30 keys, 2 gems.
Old 04 November 2012, 19:58   #277
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Yeah, hope I can find it...

Quote:
You can check: pit hole, fake wall and plate in one line combination.
Please, no spoilers of this kind

Quote:
Perhaps this is secret, due bet with Phil. But I suspected that over 20%.
20 percent? How many hours did that take?
Old 05 November 2012, 11:23   #278
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Got a question: How many non-essential items can the dungeon hold?
The dungeon can hold up to 1024 objects of each kind (weapons, clothing, chests, scrolls, potions, misc), regardless if they are essential or not.
Is that what you wanted to know ?

Quote:
Not a problem, and peecee games have been using WASD for years, because of ergonomic reasons. Try it yourself. Place your hand on the WASD area, and then on the keypad without moving your A1200, and tell me which is easier.
I've tried it, and i don't feel easy this way. Matter of habits perhaps. Also remember DM would be QWE/ASD due it has 6 direction buttons.

Quote:
DM has the Cloak of Night which gives your character +8 dexterity, and there are some others, too (not many, though).
Yes, the dexhelm and the powertowers. Forgot about these. However, it's easy to know what they do from the character's values, no need to pollute the object info area with that.
Also other objects have effects more difficult to tell, like elven boots.

Quote:
Eh, yes
He is cheating, so you can consider all his achievements as invalid.
You are still the best player in my dungeon.

Quote:
Anyway, I finally got in some good four to five hours of game play (had to tear myself away to make some food ).

Killed all of the monsters that come in the part after the Hall of Champions. Wondered around for too long and killed some of the big, yellow monsters (not the scorpions). Killed the Vexirk (spelling?) Brothers. Killed a bunch of worms. Killed a few rock piles, and killed a horde of mummies, after which I finally reached the water area. Phew!

Current levels (Halk, solo):

Fighter: Adapt
Ninja: Adapt
Priest: Journeyman
Wizard: Artisan

Time to get back playing
That's some quite nice startup

Quote:
Daroou is:
Fighter 5th Master
Ninja 4th Master
Priest 4th Master
Wizard 4th Master
Still bragging here, eh ? Okay, Thorham asked for news, but haven't you had enough already ?

Quote:
I doubt you will, as you're playing fair and he does not.

Quote:
Meynaf, how far is he?
As far as a cheater can get.

Quote:
You can check: pit hole, fake wall and plate in one line combination. Also I don't checked all walls (for fake or buttons) exactly, due this map is very large (over 30 or more levels, mostly 34x34 cells).
You won't find it this way.

Quote:
Perhaps this is secret, due bet with Phil. But I suspected that over 20%. For now I have ~30 keys, 2 gems.
It doesn't matter, as for anyone who cheats it becomes invalid anyway.

Quote:
Yeah, hope I can find it...
Would be a lot easier in another dungeon...

Quote:
Please, no spoilers of this kind
+1

Quote:
20 percent? How many hours did that take?
He's "playing" since 15th of August. That's many, many hours.
But I could reach where he is in less than a single week.

Anyway...

Don't you find it a little strange that this guy, never having really played DM before (or any other similar RPG game, btw), can get this far ?

Our friend Don Adan's fave fighting technique is : save - try a fight round - reload if not satisfying.
Add to this he abuses of invisibility spell, has slowed down the game to solve a puzzle (!), asked a few people for help (you knew that already for yourself), repeatedly tried to worm information out of me (by mail), has looked in the data files for getting info (and lied when i asked him how he got all the game's key names), and is strongly suspected of cheating by other means (code and/or save alterations, simple dungeon mapper).

Every time he appears to be close to blocked, he suddenly finds a solution and resumes playing without having really stopped. He was quite elusive in explaining me how he passed some puzzles. The ones he passes the easiest are either based on monster fights, or (more recently) the ones someone could find a lot easier if having a map beforehand. Ahem...

Is all that playing it fair ?
Old 05 November 2012, 13:05   #279
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
The dungeon can hold up to 1024 objects of each kind (weapons, clothing, chests, scrolls, potions, misc), regardless if they are essential or not.
Is that what you wanted to know ?
That's almost exactly what I wanted to know. I'm asking because of things such as worm rounds and screamer slices. I don't want them to go to waste, but extensively training just to use them up sucks a little.

Quote:
I've tried it, and i don't feel easy this way. Matter of habits perhaps. Also remember DM would be QWE/ASD due it has 6 direction buttons.
While playing for a five hours straight I could really feel my wrist and under arm because of the awkward hand position. QWEASD would be a blessing for long sessions.

Quote:
Yes, the dexhelm and the powertowers. Forgot about these. However, it's easy to know what they do from the character's values, no need to pollute the object info area with that.
Also other objects have effects more difficult to tell, like elven boots.
True. Those item infos aren't really necessary with the guides that are available. I have a dual monitor setup and can switch one monitor to Amiga so that I can view docs and what not on the peecee at the same time (also really handy for viewing coding docs).

Quote:
He is cheating, so you can consider all his achievements as invalid.
Really? That's not cool.

Quote:
You are still the best player in my dungeon.
Perhaps

Quote:
That's some quite nice startup
Yep, but it sure took me long enough.

Quote:
I doubt you will, as you're playing fair and he does not.
But he's been playing quite a long time now.

Quote:
He's "playing" since 15th of August. That's many, many hours.
Then perhaps I can catch up

Quote:
But I could reach where he is in less than a single week.
Of course, you made the dungeon

Quote:
Don't you find it a little strange that this guy, never having really played DM before (or any other similar RPG game, btw), can get this far ?
Not necessarily. Puzzles are puzzles, regardless of the game, and once you learn how to dance around monsters, the combat becomes less difficult. Also, he's been playing for months, so that alone means he's not a beginner anymore.

Quote:
Our friend Don Adan's fave fighting technique is : save - try a fight round - reload if not satisfying.
Sounds like a waste of time.

Quote:
Add to this he abuses of invisibility spell
That's actually quite smart (I've never used even used it ).

Quote:
has slowed down the game to solve a puzzle (!)
Yep, that's outright cheating alright

Quote:
asked a few people for help (you knew that already for yourself)
He only asked me for some general playing tips.

Quote:
repeatedly tried to worm information out of me (by mail)
As if that would get him anywhere

Quote:
has looked in the data files for getting info (and lied when i asked him how he got all the game's key names)
That sucks

Quote:
and is strongly suspected of cheating by other means (code and/or save alterations, simple dungeon mapper).
Doesn't sound good

Quote:
Is all that playing it fair ?
If it's all true, then yes, it's cheating. Very uncool

I've noticed a problem in the dungeon at that test that has two parts (the one you access from the Hall of Champions safe area). There's a button in the poison area that doesn't seem to work (no button press sound). Bug?

To Don:

Come on man, play fair. Much more fun that way
Old 06 November 2012, 10:56   #280
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Progress update

Halk:

Fighter: 1st Master
Ninja: 2nd Master
Priest: Expert
Wizard: 2nd Master

Cleared the Hall of Champions (including both Cursed Armors), except for some possible strays I've missed. Killed a Stone Giant. Tried to kill the Stone Giants in the safe area (remember the exploit?), but they seem immortal Used up every last Worm Round I had. Killed the first Dragon. Killed all the red flying guys which do damage very quickly (area opened with the key that the Dragon drops). Killed a lot of Rock Piles on the Rock Pile level.

Next stop: Flying Snake level.