English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Demo DVD

Old 22 August 2004, 04:38   #261
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

Sweet, this is a very nice looking project. For about the last two years, I've had the idea in my head to do a DVD similar to this, except for the C64. My only problem is, I'm NTSC, but the best demos are PAL only, so there are two options for an NTSC disc - I can either run the demo at 60fps, which is too fast, but most effects will look much better, or I can run the demo at 50fps and have jerky scrolling. NTSC demos I could just capture straight from a C64 after running the Y/C output through a TBC. Luckily, I have access to some high-end equipment, and can use DVCPRO as my masters before capturing to my NLE. I'd probably want to do both a PAL and NTSC disc, using VICE's video output (which I've found to be 50fps no matter whether you are in PAL or NTSC) for the PAL disc, and a combination of hardware and CCS64 at 60fps for the NTSC disc.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind being able to help out with this project a little bit. Over the next few days, I'll read through the posts already in here and get a handle on what you're doing, then offer my assistance where it might be handy.

I do support the use of real Amigas whenever possible - while much harder to do right, it's nice to be able to say 'some videos recorded from a REAL Amiga'. Although I don't discourage the use of WinUAE to generate the video - it can potentially look slightly sharper, and it allows a much larger group of people to participate in its creation, even if they don't actually own an Amiga.

http://www.js-technology.com/rgb-yuv/

This is something that, although I am NTSC, I am still considering buying, since it should work with RGB NTSC too. With a suitable capture/recording device, this would enable capture of the highest possible quality from a real Amiga, given an RGB SCART cable. The only possible problem I could see, would be with demos that force noninterlaced mode - this would require some way, either via a TBC or on the Amiga, to make the signal interlaced (and I realize that DoLace or similar tools probably wouldn't suffice). With a capture device that allows multistandard use, it should be possible to capture both NTSC and PAL videos (I own an ADS Pyro A/V Link, which has a DIP switch for PAL/NTSC selection) from a real hardware Amiga. Failing that, a genlock from the respective region (PAL or NTSC) with Y/C output would be the next best hardware choice, followed lastly by a composite genlock.

I will probably buy one of the RGB-YUV converters, and some RGB SCART cables for various systems, about two or three months down the road. At that point, I'd be willing to capture video from demos that can run on an ECS machine with only 1MB chip RAM and no fast RAM (my A3000 has 4MB fast RAM but doesn't see it) via component - I could capture directly from the Amiga, and either transfer the resulting files over the Internet, or post them on CD-Rs. I'd be capturing in standard DV, 720x480 for NTSC and 720x576 for PAL, which runs 25Mbits/sec, so the filesize can add up quick.

This is a very interesting project, though, and I like what I'm seeing so far.

Last edited by LocalH; 22 August 2004 at 04:46.
Old 05 November 2004, 09:37   #262
AwoL

Additionally, i would DEFINITLY like to see Jesus On E's as in the demo section on these dvd's, - although it may be "too big" i think the fact that it booted from 2x 880kb floppies speaks volumes about it at the time it came out, and although it's perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, it was definitly a very well worked piece of software at the time. Historical it is.
Additionally, i can't remember the name of the demo, but there was a demo that had a rollercoaster kind of animation/movie on it, and "Voodoo People" by (the) prodigy, that would be cool too. unfortunately my pc sucks big time for winuae, and i haven't yet got the ability to connect my amiga straight to it, though that is going to happen soon.

other than that, any news on the dvd's?

Old 05 November 2004, 11:18   #263
Paul
RIP Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwoL
Additionally, i can't remember the name of the demo, but there was a demo that had a rollercoaster kind of animation/movie on it, and "Voodoo People" by (the) prodigy, that would be cool too.
@AwoL
That demo with rollercoaster is called Switchback (1994)(Rebels)(AGA)
Old 30 November 2004, 23:29   #264
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Um, without wanting to trawl through all 7 pages of this thread, what is the latest on this project?

I'm thinking that once I get the three Miggies up and running, I might be able to help considerably... by running demos/games on a real amiga's, capturing the 15.625KHz signal on a Matrox RT capture card (using Amiga Scart ->SVHS) whilst watching the scandoubled output on a seperate monitor system...

Once captured, I can convert easily from mpg/avi easily to DVD-MPEG2, perfect for DVD format. With a dual Opteron 250 and RT.X100, P4 with RT2500 I should be able to do a fair few in a week... heck, I can use two machnes to capture, and do the transcription with CCE using the other PC's as a render farm.
Old 30 November 2004, 23:43   #265
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Yeah Bippy! whats the latest?
Old 01 December 2004, 08:12   #266
Schattenmeister

where can i get the Demo DVD???
Is it released???
Old 01 December 2004, 16:46   #267
BippyM
Global Moderator

I have not had much time to work on it as of late i'm afraid

I'll try and get back to it asap, and it isn't available yet either
Old 02 December 2004, 23:33   #268
Jan

I'm really looking forward to it!
Old 03 December 2004, 15:04   #269
frostwork

Yeah!
Please don't stop this project!
It'll rock the earth
Old 08 March 2005, 01:24   #270
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwoL
Additionally, i would DEFINITLY like to see Jesus On E's as in the demo section on these dvd's, - although it may be "too big" i think the fact that it booted from 2x 880kb floppies speaks volumes about it at the time it came out, and although it's perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, it was definitly a very well worked piece of software at the time. Historical it is.
Additionally, i can't remember the name of the demo, but there was a demo that had a rollercoaster kind of animation/movie on it, and "Voodoo People" by (the) prodigy, that would be cool too. unfortunately my pc sucks big time for winuae, and i haven't yet got the ability to connect my amiga straight to it, though that is going to happen soon.

other than that, any news on the dvd's?
JOES was done for me by another member (Enverex) and unfortunately it wont be on any of the DVD5 discs due to size/space restrictions. JOES weighs in at about 1.3gb, which is a quarter of a dvd!

When DVD9 discs are cheap enough I may drop it on one
Old 08 March 2005, 09:50   #271
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The intro's to Ambermoon and Lionheart by Thalion are quite good intro's. Pixelled by Henk Nieborg
Old 08 March 2005, 14:14   #272
BippyM
Global Moderator

I'll look into those when I resume work on the games dvd
Old 16 March 2005, 16:35   #273
BippyM
Global Moderator

Can those who have contributed to this DVD please email/PM me if you want a copy..
Old 21 March 2005, 22:58   #274
BlaCkAdDa
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to BlaCkAdDa
If anyone in Australia has a copy plz PM me would love to re-live all these great demos ... i still haven't converted all my demos and stuff to adf yet
Old 21 March 2005, 23:04   #275
BippyM
Global Moderator

Only person with this is me, there are a couple of peeps with beta versions..

I have burnt a few copies which will be sent to those who have sent me an email
Old 14 June 2005, 22:17   #276
bebess

hello

is this project finished ?
and where to get these compilation , i chekc the p2p but nothing

please someone post it on ng or p2p

Old 15 June 2005, 11:43   #277
Haakon

Sorry for not posting earlier!

Me likes the DVD very much :-) Had some problems with my older DVD-player, but worked fine on my newer DVD-player. Great collection, great work.

Bippym for president!
Old 15 June 2005, 16:18   #278
BippyM
Global Moderator

I never got around to uploading the DVD anywhere!!

I'll do it when I get chance, if you want to get the DVD directly from me then I'll post it at cost of media/time/p&p etc..
Old 17 June 2005, 18:25   #279
useless/spb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
I never got around to uploading the DVD anywhere!!
That`s a shame!
Amiganostalgia can host if you want?
Old 17 June 2005, 18:59   #280
kriz

Ahh good news! Other sources also surely must be interested in hosting this?!