English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 June 2020, 19:50   #261
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

@Weaselrama:

Quote:
If you own 3.1.4., the legal Amiga license holder (the developers of OS 3.5/3.9) has filed a claim in Court that the money you paid for 3.1.4 should have gone to them.
Are you talking about Cloanto? They had nothing to do with 3.5/3.9 (and are not the legal licence holder anyway).

Last edited by Minuous; 02 June 2020 at 19:56.
Old 02 June 2020, 19:52   #262
UberFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
What a dumb thing to say

Are you implying that my stance on piracy differs from EAB rules?

I think you better check again my friend...

Nice, you completely misunderstood me.
Nevermind...
Old 02 June 2020, 19:54   #263
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
One for every installation, apparently. Same as for most other commercial software. I'm ok if you don't like 3.1.4, you are entitled to your opinion, but then have to use the software for which you did pay licenses, as 3.1 or 3.9. Works for me. But if you want to use 3.1.4, you need to buy it. That's how life works.
I stated pretty clearly I own 3.1.4, and every OS version in between except 4.x, from 1.2/1.3 to 3.1.4.

So, according to you, legal claims against other OS's are valid; legal challenges to 3.1.4 are a matter of opinion.
Old 02 June 2020, 19:56   #264
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
@Weaselrama:

Are you talking about Cloanto? They had nothing to do with 3.5/3.9.
No. The OTHER legal license holders. Sorry, silly me, I've forgotten how MANY freaking people claim to own that license.
Old 02 June 2020, 19:59   #265
DamienD
Banned

Ok, so maybe it's best to close this thread now.

It's quite clear that the Apollo team and some of their supporters here don't give a toss about legality; and are quite happy to distribute / rip off whoever and whatever they want; and also point the finger elsewhere... as demonstrated.

Very sad state of affairs

They are never going to change their ways; so yes, this is an absolutely pointless discussion.
Old 02 June 2020, 22:24   #266
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
also

No they're not; the Vampire-specific stuff (p96 drivers etc) are available on the website as official downloads but CoffinOS isn't. Whether the same people are involved, maybe, but it's neither bundled with the Vampire or officially endorsed. Someone having a posted a link to it on the forum does not make it official.

The Vampire isn't bundled with any software, and the only official software is entirely legal.

<edit> OK it's bundled with a KS3.1 in the flash but that's got a licence

Actually youi are incorrect. It has been posted on THEIR forum, and the thread has actually been moderated, and nothing has been said about this image. Now I am sorry but that in itself is edorsement. If that image had been posted here on EAB it would have been removed very quickly, and the person posting the image warned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMike View Post
The question is what you want exactly? What's the main target of this thread? To state that coffin is illegal? I think that's nothing new and everyone knows it. So what's next?

What I want is for the Apollo team to justify why this is being distributed via their forum!! They have had every opportunity to remove this, to explain that they do not support this and that they have integrity as a professional outfit with the best interests of the Amiga nad the community at heart.. For me everyone is trying to backdoor with excuses as to why it is okay to share this, or compare Apollo to EAB. It is not the same, and I am sorry that you believe it is.

I have not accused Apollo team of anything other than allowing a WB3.9 setup, oddly named coffin to be shared and distributed from THEIR website/forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBlizzard View Post
Coffin is someone's personal invention and does not ship with Vampire. It

This made me genuinely choke on my tea

Someone didn't INVENT Coffin.. WHat they did is this:

• Install Workbench 3.9
  • Install required vampire repositories to ensure it works
  • Install 11gb of games, some of which are still sold (Flyin High for sure)
  • Install a tonne of software
  • Install a load of emulators with some roms
  • Installed a load of mods
  • Included a load of pictures
  • Included a few (2gb) of Mpeg videos, these are commercial music videos, and I am telling you now.. THey do NOT have license for these!
Anyway you made me laugh

Last edited by BippyM; 02 June 2020 at 23:08.
Old 02 June 2020, 23:03   #267
DamienD
Banned

You forgot to mention... hack the KS ROM modules and plaster their name all over it; as if they created it / own the rights

PMs to me from someone last night:

Quote:
I went and d/l this CoffinOS to see what the fuss is about.

Just a snippet of info for you... the "CoffinOS" ROM file seems to have had a small makeover copyright wise.

It reads as follows... AMIGA ROM Operating System and Libraries Powered by 68080 AMMX Apollo Team Bringing 68k back! 3.10 ROM exec.library exec 45.23 (22.09.2016)

Naughty naughty Apollo Team!
Quote:
That's taken from the 'kick.rom' file ... there's tons of stuff in the distro - whdload, mods, full versions of software.

They must be crazy over at Apollo Team if they think this is legal in any way shape or form!
Old 02 June 2020, 23:15   #268
BippyM
Global Moderator

This thread has clearly run its course and then some. There will be no forther discussion on Coffin OS on eab, and anyone sharing or posting links will receive an instant ban. What Apollo do on their webiverse is their business, and if it blows up in their face.. Well that's on them I suppose.

The EAB FTP will remain closed until we have been able to verify what software should absolutely not be on there. This will take time as we have to check each ISO individually. When this is done the FTP will return.
Old 05 October 2020, 12:45   #269
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB42 View Post
Your point would be valid if Vampire and Coffin are separate things, but they aren't, that is the same "company". I boycott the company as whole.
Coffin has the potential to fork into MorphOS like breakaway.