English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 March 2012, 13:27   #2701
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I've been playing Professor Layton and the last Specter (DS). Even though I didn't like the third part much (which makes me odd as most people prefer it), I am really enjoying this one again. The puzzles are nice and challenging, right from the beginning! Fun minigames again also, although they are only variations of the minigames of the third game.

Still more of the same of course, after 4 games it does get old...
Old 23 March 2012, 23:06   #2702
Garyc2012

Happy Hello folks !

Hi Im gonna finish Outrun (Linux Mint and qmc2 - MAME)

But after that Def Wizball !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Am I one of the few who preferred AMIGA Wizball soundtrack to the C64 ???

I bought my Amiga from Gordon Harwood

I used to be so envious of "later" amiga buyers who got shedloads of games for the same dosh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I got was Wizball, Gridrunner and Karate Kid II (and WB/Extras)

But Im not complaining, Ive *never* used as machine that "excited" me as much as the Amiga (But Android/Linux Mint does come * slightly* close )

I make my living of windows but it fking bores me to death.

I still use the mouse-mat I got from Gordon I can upload a pic, but its not pretty

Gary
Old 29 March 2012, 21:10   #2703
Lord Riton

Finished skyrim (well the main quest), got to lvl 44, and now it got boring, so i stopped..

I'm also bored from WoW, but i still continue to play it, especially PvP.

I bought Mass Effect 3 recently, but i plan to first play through the 2 first ones again.. but atm i'm not that much in the mood to play them.

Dunno, all games get boring fast for me now..

I'm not in the mood to program either..

Mainly waiting for Diablo 3. If i get bored of this one too, then i'll probably comit suicide.
Old 29 March 2012, 21:20   #2704
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Riton View Post

Mainly waiting for Diablo 3. If i get bored of this one too, then i'll probably comit suicide.
Could you do it online? Other internet players would be interested for sure
Just joking. I am looking forward to Legend of Grimrock.
Old 29 March 2012, 21:28   #2705
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Picked up Dungeon Siege 3 (for almost nothing). Okay enough game for "in between"; the expressionless faces in the game are shameful, but other than that it looks really nice and plays quite smoothly. Plenty of loot and hidden treasures to find too and the designers managed to do away with chugging health and mana potions (there are none!) that made the second game not as good as it could have been.

But the game contains a classic flaw that almost totally ruins it: you choose a character and that limits the weapons you can use to a single type. Fail fail fail, no freedom at all to switch around and experiment and you spend the entire game doing exactly the same thing and using exactly the same skills. I'll probably get bored with it pretty soon.

Quote:
It's a hard choice, but I've decided to let Diablo 3 go and invest in Guild Wars 2. Got plenty of colleagues and friends that are basically ready to kill to be able to finally play it as well, so for once I'm not going to be playing the game hoping to find a decent group of complete strangers
Old 29 March 2012, 22:33   #2706
Lord Riton

Played dungeon siège 3 also, didn't like it that much but still finished it, was an "ok" game, nothing more.

Tommorrow i will play TERA online beta, i got lucky to enter in beta part 4 that starts tommorrow and ends sunday. I think it might be a better game than WoW or SWTOR... well, i guess i'll know it for sure tommorrow..
Old 23 April 2012, 10:30   #2707
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Been giving "the Witcher" enhanced edition a try. The first one, not the obviously better sequel.

Its an odd duck. I find myself enjoying it, but I'm not entirely sure why yet. Combat, which is of course a big part of the game, is really wonky. In other RPGs with wonky combat, you at least have one click = one swing / spell. Not really so in the Witcher, one click = a whole volley of attacks. Your job is to pick the proper stance and to click again at the right moment to create chains of attacks, but I felt a bit like I was controlling an NPC to be honest. While all that is happening there isn't much room for dodging or parrying, the trick is to just bring the enemies down quickly enough and not get overwhelmed.

So yeah, its basically an interactive book with planning elements. Plan out your talent tree in the proper order according to your play style (of which there are two); do quests in an order that seems logical (because otherwise you backtrack a lot); make sure you have the right potions in your inventory (which might mean hunting for the ingredients first); focus on filling your journal so you can harvest those ingredients.

Actually more of a tactical game than a true RPG if you ask me.
Old 24 April 2012, 17:53   #2708
freehand

BMS Falcon with Israel mod I can see myself never working ever again.

Then a little of battle field 3 for stress release.
Old 24 April 2012, 18:03   #2709
ennio

Deus X via Steam. Don't like that you have to be online to play the game, but so far, it's pretty cool.
Old 30 April 2012, 22:35   #2710
SWIV

Falcon Patrol,Commando,Wizard Of War and River Raid (C64),Defender II (2600),Repton (acorn bbc) and Stunt Car Racer (Amiga)
Old 01 May 2012, 10:12   #2711
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Been giving "the Witcher" enhanced edition a try. The first one, not the obviously better sequel.

Its an odd duck. I find myself enjoying it, but I'm not entirely sure why yet.
Been playing it for hours and hours now and now I can explain it. Combat is not dumbed down, it is highly streamlined. I find myself changing stances (and weapons), falling back, picking a better position, picking targets, laying traps, alternating to using magic where appropriate... its actually quite involved even when one click does multiple attacks. Neat stuff.

The other thing are the quests - side quests are created from, mesh and feed main quest lines like it is all a decently written book in stead of having to deal with cookie cutter stuff and above all: there is no bright red arrow. I actually got stuck trying to progress the game because I hadn't paid attention enough to what was said.

And yeah. One unwritten side quest is to actually "conquer" as many women as you can Gotta catch em all and get those naughty picture cards!
Old 01 May 2012, 10:53   #2712
s2325
Zone Friend

Here are screenshot from 1997, unfinished version of Witcher:

Old 01 May 2012, 15:17   #2713
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Kid Icarus uprising on nintendo 3ds.
Old 01 May 2012, 16:02   #2714
cncfreak

Starting playing the original Dragon Warrior Monsters for the GBC again. I've beaten the game many years ago but i love the simplicity of the maps but complexity of the monster breeding / collecting.
Old 01 May 2012, 16:41   #2715
rockape

Lightbulb Games

Hi,

I like playing the really old 3d games like Castlemaster, Drilller, Darkside and Total Eclipse on my CD32SXPro and also on my A4K using WHDLoad.

I've been playing (on and off) Castlemaster for about 21 years and only need to collect one more key to release the Princess

I'm still looking for a copy of Total Eclipse for the Amiga if anyone has one ?

Regards, Michael

aka rockape
Old 01 May 2012, 18:25   #2716
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Eastern Sun (Diablo 2 LOD mod).
Old 11 May 2012, 10:04   #2717
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Well finished the Witcher after 45+ hours. I must say that the last chapters seem a little bit "slapped on", even in the enhanced edition. Even when the game is based on a book, the story builds up nicely throughout chapters 1-3 and then in chapter 4 it goes totally off-radar; the whole chapter was basically useless to me. In chapter 5 and especially the epilogue you return to find yourself in not that nice storyline that you were developing before, but something completely warped. Real shame, I would rather have had a slow start and a strong ending.

But still, a game that hooks you in and it is hard to let it go.

Now I'm finally giving COD: Modern Warfare 2 a chance. It plays quite smoothly and right off the bat the game throws you into crazy situations, but... I don't know. I don't have the feeling anymore that I'm playing an actual game. I'm just following a script and my punishment for not following it to the letter is to see red blotches on the screen and a need to hide behind a wall waiting for it to go away.
Old 11 May 2012, 23:44   #2718
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Dungeon Master fans have to try Legend of Grimrock!!

http://www.grimrock.net/
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 May 2012, 22:17   #2719
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazinKaesar View Post
Dungeon Master fans have to try Legend of Grimrock!!

http://www.grimrock.net/
[ Show youtube player ]
Dude, you're a bit late We've all played it already!

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=60089
Old 13 May 2012, 22:22   #2720
deicidal
Registered Insane

I have been playing bubble bobble with the lad over the weekend arcade version on the xbox