English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 11 September 2011, 20:07   #241
Schoenfeld
electricky.

I'm currently doing the back-trapdoor adapter board, and encountered a pleasant surprise that's almost too good to be true. Please check the attached picture - it shows an interruption in that little plastic bar. My DVI-output board will be in that exact position, and one of the pins of the DVI connector requires exactly the space that has been freed with that interruption.

I have three A1200 case revisions, and all of them have this cut-out in the plastic bar. Is there any case revision out there that does NOT have this?

thanks,
Jens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1200_case.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	29434  
Old 11 September 2011, 20:25   #242
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
I have three A1200 case revisions, and all of them have this cut-out in the plastic bar. Is there any case revision out there that does NOT have this?
My case doesn't look like that. No cutout at all. Now for the funny part. How to identify what case i got?

Silver sticker at the bottom:
Commodore
Model A1200 ID. No. 530311
Power bleh bleh...
Made in Philippines
Funkensört nach DBP-VFG 1046/1984

White sticker at the bottom:
A1200 SD BARCODE-noncens-

Well, thats all i got.
It's a Swedish version, meaning it got the Swedish keyboard layout. Hope it helps in any way.

(Regardless, it looks easy enough to take that part of the plastic out.)
B!
Old 11 September 2011, 20:55   #243
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Thanks - folks on a1k.org also found cases that don't have the cut-out. I have now cut a little on the adapter board and will probably bend that pin aside in production before wave soldering. It'll be a tight fit, but it'll fit.

Jens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DVI_Adapter.png
Views:	476
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	29436  
Old 11 September 2011, 22:38   #244
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

nice board jens and greatfull keeping this little machine alive with all these addons

john
Old 12 September 2011, 05:01   #245
NovaCoder

Looking good
Old 12 September 2011, 09:27   #246
magnetic
Banned

Jens

Ok great progress. This is very good news that the adaptor board will fit perfectly at the expansion slot. Many of us like to keep our amigas as pristine as possible so no case cutting.
Old 22 September 2011, 17:14   #247
Exit

great news on the trapdoor adapter board jens! i want my indivision aga now
Old 28 September 2011, 22:19   #248
Mr B

Com OOOON! (Peanut does that way better then i do,. high pitch, screeching noise... Well, it's Jeff Dunham doing the actual noise, of course. It's not like i believe the doll actually speaks.) More info is needed. Will this be done in time for me to buy one for my self as a X-mass gift? It's been 2 weeks and more, give us something. ;- )

I agree with the speaker above, and want to add, this thing cant be released soon enough. Yesterday isn't soon enough.

Funny... It sort of feels like i've said that last bit b4...
B!
Old 29 September 2011, 19:48   #249
Schoenfeld
electricky.

I have a large amount of projects running at the same time at the moment. I do have new prototype PCBs for this flickerfixer that are "release candidates", but will probably not have the time to test them before tuesday of next week.

Jens
Old 29 September 2011, 20:44   #250
Mr B

5 days. Lets say 2 more to evaluate the tests. A few days for processing and manufacturing... Ok, so release Monday, the 10'th?

Thank you for dropping by on request and telling us how far along things are. A month or more to wait yet, at least. Have you looked around to see what numbers your going to make this thing in? I'm sort of thinking along the lines "how fast do you need to be to grab one of these" seeing as i managed to get a hold of one of the very last ACA1230/56, and i did that what, about 3 months after release?
(Well, now someone will show up and tell me there is a 56MH ACA1230 still waiting for a buyer somewhere, but i bought mine the 21 of march, and had trouble finding one at that point.)

I wish you luck with finalizing projects, and getting production-runs out of the bakery smoothly ;- )
B!
Old 30 September 2011, 21:05   #251
RMK

Jens,

Are any of these other projects you in have the works Amiga related projects?
Old 02 October 2011, 00:19   #252
Calabazam

Please, do not forget when designing this DVI back trapdoor connector that Subway users have USB connectors to put in there too.
USB is more useful than DVI IMHO.
For now, i have room for one VGA and 2 USB leads, and i could even add my SCSI connector from the Blizzard (of course they just get out through the empty space). Don't close it for one not so useful DVI connector.
Old 02 October 2011, 00:49   #253
magnetic
Banned

Sure it would be cool to have a pass through for usb port on the dvi adaptor on the a1200 expansion port, but dont think its a design priority for Jens.

I'm not sure I get this whole DVI is useless argument though.. kind of silly to say that.
Old 02 October 2011, 04:54   #254
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
For now, i have room for one VGA and 2 USB leads, and i could even add my SCSI connector from the Blizzard (of course they just get out through the empty space). Don't close it for one not so useful DVI connector.
Not having anything else to pull out through that hole, i can't see any reason NOT to fill the hole. If you want to pull a cable out on next to the DVI connector, use a file, for the rest of us, we'd muck prefer not to have a hole letting in dust and debris... Well, i hope everyone else shares my opinion, but what do i know.B!
Old 09 October 2011, 13:38   #255
chocolate_boy

Any update on a possible release date? Been desperate for one of these babies for 2 years now
Old 23 October 2011, 17:37   #256
Schoenfeld
electricky.

I have a non-functional, mechanical prototype with me here in Sacramento. The big thing is that just before I left Germany, the new 84-pin PLCC sockets arrived: I have made a change to the pin shape, which makes a much better fit for pushing the socket "upside down" on the Lisa chip. Maybe we can do some video today where I can demonstrate the difference.

Jens
Old 24 October 2011, 12:14   #257
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Maybe we can do some video today where I can demonstrate the difference.

Jens
Something like [ Show youtube player ] then?

Old 24 October 2011, 16:23   #258
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

OMG, that guy not only stole Jens' ideas for flickerfixers, but he also copied his looks into the finest details !
Old 24 October 2011, 16:58   #259
Mr B

Will that amount of force to mount the MKII be safe for a motherboard in it's case, or should one remove the motherboard, and mate the parts (for life) on a flat surface, say a table...?

I'm guessing it's going to be safe enough to assemble, but it should be asked, the amount of force needed really is a lot by the looks of things. Should keep it from getting unstuck.

Also, the 4 holes in the laminated board, are they to stay? I'm thinking something along the lines of sticking something like builders glue (PL400) heat glue, or something there to really make it permanent. (trying to remove it after tacking it in place with PL400 likely means tearing and shredding of your hardware)
B!
Old 24 October 2011, 19:12   #260
Schoenfeld
electricky.

The manual always stated "place board on a level surface and push". You should not install things like this in a tower without supporting the motherboard.

This applies to all things that plug over a chip: Gayle-adapter of IDE-fix express, Lyra 2 for A1200, accelerator for A600.

If you follow the manual closely, there's nothing to worry about.

Jens