English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 10 November 2010, 10:11   #241
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

I just think it's a wonderful coincidence. I really feared the rollout at this time... because communities sometimes can be pretty nasty, especially when things don't work as expected. Now this is a first gen thing, and of course there is one or another drive that does not work with it. But many do, and the software is working very well. Feedback is excellent and people pop up with really good ideas. So... we really appreciate how it is atm. Thanks!

BTW: Would you mind coming over to the KryoFlux forums and telling us about the drive(s) you are using?
Old 10 November 2010, 11:03   #242
Slayer
Amiga Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
Beware! RTFM! Don't feed power in the board until you know what you are doing!
I haven't read the manual yet but am aware of the connection process due to the quick guide printouts. At this stage the power should work

Quote:
It's not the only one. It think at least five board went to NZ, and five more to Australia.
Damn, I knew I should have got the backup board

Quote:
BTW can anyone report about how customs went? Any additonal costs? We were legally "enforced" to put declaration stickers onto everything that went out of the EU.
I didn't have to pay anything, perhaps they felt sorry for me? Had to pay $200+ on each of my SAM boards. I have my own importing number
Old 12 November 2010, 03:54   #243
JunoMan

One of the five to NZ was mine

Arrived on the 9th as well, but I was out and had to collect it on Wednesday . No customs charge fortunately.

Was a little fiddly to install and I got a bit confused with the 1 and 2 drive configuration pictures. Maybe a circle on the picture indicating the jumpers that changed would have made life easier. Got it to reflash and then it was all fine following the instructions. (The new pdf manual was much better)

Read some Amiga disks and some C64 disks.. Had a few errors on the disks, which is frustrating as they were the source code I had written many years ago.

Was disappointed to find out c64 flippy disks can't be read yet. I'll have to hookup the xm1541 cable I made the other week and use that instead.

I had trouble reading a Sidecar 2088 pc disk. Not sure if it's DD or SD.

I've also got a PET CBM 8080 disk from high school many years ago which wasn't recognised. (I'm sure thats a different format)

Having fun with it though.

Chris

Old 12 November 2010, 04:49   #244
JunoMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunoMan View Post
I had trouble reading a Sidecar 2088 pc disk. Not sure if it's DD or SD.
Ok, make that a Commodore 1060 Sidecar System 5 1/4" disk and a Amiga "2088 V2.0 Alpha 1" 3 1/2" disk

Chris

Old 12 November 2010, 12:01   #245
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Please come over to the KryoFlux forums for this (it's not really Amiga related atm). Please do dumps for inspection:

DTC -d0 -fstreamfilename -i0 -i2 -i5 -s0 -e2

Thanks!
Old 12 November 2010, 12:23   #246
gizmomelb

still waiting on mine to arrive in Aus

EDIT: 15/11 - yay! it arrived in the mail at work this morning, will try and set aside time to play with it tonight.

Last edited by gizmomelb; 15 November 2010 at 00:32.
Old 12 November 2010, 13:18   #247
IFW

Please feel free to submit stream files from different disks and I'll try and help finding out how to read them - but as said best to do that on the dedicated KryoFlux forum.
Old 12 November 2010, 19:42   #248
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

http://www.softpres.org/news:2010-11-12

Yikes!
Old 12 November 2010, 20:07   #249
Joe Maroni

Send a message via MSN to Joe Maroni
mine arrived today...i´m still testing it..

wow...write support is what i expected when you first talked about kryoflux....
Old 12 November 2010, 20:37   #250
Joe Maroni

Send a message via MSN to Joe Maroni
ok...the thing works fine but before i tested it i saw some things:

look at the soldr pads on the backside of the PCB...especially the left pin on the GRB solder pad....it looks nothing but professional...

and all the other pads looks bad soldered...i might re-solder them but then i would loose warranty..

nevertheless...it works fine....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsc00018.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	473.7 KB
ID:	26990  
Old 12 November 2010, 22:35   #251
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

errm... this is lead free solder. it always looks like cold soldering points. we did not invent this RoHS thing, but we are not allowed to use leaded solder.
Old 13 November 2010, 00:04   #252
Slayer
Amiga Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
News doesn't get much better than this!

Awesome work and appreciate the dedication!

and very cool present
Old 13 November 2010, 16:47   #253
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
One question guys, what is the command line to dump amstrad CPC copy protected disk ?

I have one here that is a perfect candidate for that !

My amstrad CPC to PC floppy cable is compatible with kryoflux, the problem is that i don't have what it needs to correctly dumps in file the necromancien disk
Old 13 November 2010, 16:47   #254
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Yeah, nice work guys!

Any idea when fully housed units will eventually be designed/built? I'd love a Kryoflux unit but I think I'll wait till its in a neat little package, maybe with a built in floppy drive and ports for USB and a connector for other devices like 5 1/4" etc. That would be great! Is this a possibilty in the future?
Old 13 November 2010, 20:15   #255
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
One question guys, what is the command line to dump amstrad CPC copy protected disk ?

I have one here that is a perfect candidate for that !

My amstrad CPC to PC floppy cable is compatible with kryoflux, the problem is that i don't have what it needs to correctly dumps in file the necromancien disk
STREAM dump (forensic dump):

DTC -ffilename -i0 -i2

That captures everything on the disk's surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Yeah, nice work guys!

Any idea when fully housed units will eventually be designed/built? I'd love a Kryoflux unit but I think I'll wait till its in a neat little package, maybe with a built in floppy drive and ports for USB and a connector for other devices like 5 1/4" etc. That would be great! Is this a possibilty in the future?
Maybe 2011. But won't be cheap. We're going for Plexiglas, lasered. Maybe even more expensive than the unit itself.
Old 13 November 2010, 23:55   #256
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
I was meaning to create an extended DSK file first.

Then, from the test i did, amstrad disks are not FM but MFM so I4 and not I2
Old 14 November 2010, 08:29   #257
fuzzo0001

hi there,

I'm one of the Australian customers, and the Kryoflux board arrived at my place last Thursday Nov 11th - no issues with Customs to report! (because there's currently a $1000 threshold before import duties are levied)

due to PC issues (boot HD failure) I've only tested it out on my toshiba laptop, and am happy to say that it's dumped a couple of my AmigaDOS floppies no problem by using a Samsung SFD-321

but like dlfrsilver posted above, I'm interested in dumping Amstrad CPC diskettes, and am using a Panasonic JU-475-4AK0 (a lot of my CPC diskettes are on 5.25" DSDD floppies) but the on-screen logs reports bad tracks or unformatted tracks (where there should be sectors)..

also, I've got a couple of 3" disk drives with Shugart cable interface (like 5.25") but both of those fail the calibration test... I'll post a message in due course on the KF forum about those..

cheers

Old 14 November 2010, 11:29   #258
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
I was meaning to create an extended DSK file first.

Then, from the test i did, amstrad disks are not FM but MFM so I4 and not I2
FM is not -i2. if you'd just follow my instructions we might be able to help you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzo0001 View Post
but like dlfrsilver posted above, I'm interested in dumping Amstrad CPC diskettes, and am using a Panasonic JU-475-4AK0 (a lot of my CPC diskettes are on 5.25" DSDD floppies) but the on-screen logs reports bad tracks or unformatted tracks (where there should be sectors)..
Could be alignment, could be anything. We find that every 3rd or 4th drive comes misaligned. It's worse the bigger the drive...

Please also try:

DTC -ffilename -i0 -i2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzo0001 View Post
also, I've got a couple of 3" disk drives with Shugart cable interface (like 5.25") but both of those fail the calibration test... I'll post a message in due course on the KF forum about those..
Yes, let's investigate them. You are talking of the adapter cable, right? Could be they need special care when stepping or the like. Maybe also some more power on the pullups (would mean exchanging a resistor array).

We already have a firmware with extremely slow stepping that does the trick for some drives. Since this is not Amiga related, let's move it to the KryoFlux forums.

Last edited by mr.vince; 14 November 2010 at 13:39.
Old 14 November 2010, 18:25   #259
IFW

It's worth keeping in mind that if the disk is copy protected - and most of the CPC disks are - chances are DTC will report errors for protected tracks.
Old 14 November 2010, 18:32   #260
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

True. Therefore... let's make a stream dump and let's find out.