English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 August 2020, 19:26   #241
Chucky

you can update firmware via USB. as the card searches for a file and loads it (using FAT format) and not done via the amiga part..
Old 25 August 2020, 19:27   #242
Chucky

I use a USB keyboard and mouse on my Warp. sadly my KVM switch isn't supported
Old 29 August 2020, 21:51   #243
Akiko

I'm guessing not, but is there a disable jumper on this card for reverting to stock?
Old 29 August 2020, 23:53   #244
CmdrAmiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiko View Post
I'm guessing not, but is there a disable jumper on this card for reverting to stock?
A jumper no, but you can issue a keyboard reset. It's useful since I had to do it once after I flashed a kickstart that didn't work. Here's what the manual says:

Code:
3.  Hold reset for >10s to switch back to default (0) Kickstart slot. 
4.  Hold reset for >30s to reset all settings to default. This will also reset stored WiFi 
credentials.
Old 07 September 2020, 16:30   #245
Tekk

So, what's the status of this product? Haven't heard anything from CS since June. And apparently there is an interview in Polish out there. I've commented on their blog that they should communicate something. Nice to see the cards in the wild but weird that they let others communicate about the product. Which is good when there is a balance between the company and the end users. But at this stage the process is a bit weird tbh
Old 07 September 2020, 17:53   #246
Daedalus

As it happens, Amiga Ireland interviewed the Warp guys a while ago, and it's literally just been uploaded. The bottom line though is that it's progressing, but being a spare time project and with all the funky stuff happening in the world, these things move slowly.

Here's the interview: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 07 September 2020, 19:22   #247
Tekk

nice, thank you
Old 26 October 2020, 12:35   #248
eXeler0

Don't know haw many ppl managed to get an early Warp (I only know Chucky has one) card but if someone with a Warp card has a dull moment, any chance you could try running the Quake 2 port using RTG and see what kind of performance it delivers? Would be interesting to see...

Cheers
Old 26 October 2020, 21:11   #249
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Don't know haw many ppl managed to get an early Warp (I only know Chucky has one) card but if someone with a Warp card has a dull moment, any chance you could try running the Quake 2 port using RTG and see what kind of performance it delivers? Would be interesting to see...

Cheers
I don't think any real end-user got any yet. Probably not until 2021, or if lucky, end of 2020...I'm personally waiting for the 3060/4060 version.

There is info on facebook if you search for it.
Old 27 October 2020, 04:07   #250
NovaCoder

Quote:
any chance you could try running the Quake 2 port using RTG and see what kind of performance it delivers? Would be interesting to see...

Cheers
Me too, would love to see how fast an overclocked (fully clocked) Warp could run AmiQuake/AmiQuake 2 and ODAMEX RTG but I'd prefer to wait until they have got the drivers fully developed to extract the max performance out of it.

I know AmiQuake AGA can already get to 16 FPS on an old 80 Mhz card so a modern card running at 105 Mhz with RTG should be able to smash that figure.
Old 27 October 2020, 12:54   #251
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Me too, would love to see how fast an overclocked (fully clocked) Warp could run AmiQuake/AmiQuake 2 and ODAMEX RTG but I'd prefer to wait until they have got the drivers fully developed to extract the max performance out of it.

I know AmiQuake AGA can already get to 16 FPS on an old 80 Mhz card so a modern card running at 105 Mhz with RTG should be able to smash that figure.
Michal Bergseth at Amitopia is testing one and has been writing about his experiences. I'll see if I can get him to test it. I'll report back if successful.
Old 27 October 2020, 14:13   #252
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post

Right, probably some work left on drivers for the ARM chip that's used for RTG, but finally we'll have sort of a "reference platform" that a number of people can agree on.. (= Max clocked warp+rtg) rather than just having the occasional Apollo 1260 user managing to push their card into 100MHz territory.
(I'll get the warp as soon as it's readily available.. Fortunately I already have a rev 6 060.)
Old 29 October 2020, 21:11   #253
gdonner
Ancient Amiga User

Quote:
Right, probably some work left on drivers for the ARM chip that's used for RTG, but finally we'll have sort of a "reference platform" that a number of people can agree on.. (= Max clocked warp+rtg) rather than just having the occasional Apollo 1260 user managing to push their card into 100MHz territory.
(I'll get the warp as soon as it's readily available.. Fortunately I already have a rev 6 060.)
I suspect you mean "FPGA chip"(?) for the RTG; the ARM is only for a handful of specific tasks like MP3 decoding/playback and JPEG processing. Though one of my coworkers (embedded systems design and programming) has written code for the STM32H7, and he thought it was also capable of processing video--full HD video might be a stretch to get working though. I'm not sure what constraints CS Lab is working under in regards to the STM32H7.

Anyway, AFAIK the latest from Sellen via their website:

"Hi, everything okay, thanks for asking. We have a lot of work with ours (and company's) mainly tasks now - unfortunately... We're (slowly ) preparing a new batch of Warp boards to the customers which already sent CPUs to us. I wish to have more time for this project. It is really very important to me, but I have to care about the company business first, otherwise we'll end without ability to do anything."

Anyway, we're preparing the online ordering system and new website. This doesn't have enough flexibility for the online shop. We switched to Wordpress, but there is still some work to do to make the new webpage visible on this address. Stay tuned; we're alive and working to make Warp boards available for you guys. I know that it's taking a long time, but what can I say... sorry, and trust me, if I could afford it, the Warp project would be my priority project. Cheers!"

Last edited by gdonner; 29 October 2020 at 21:18.
Old 31 October 2020, 00:11   #254
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdonner View Post
I suspect you mean "FPGA chip"(?) for the RTG; the ARM is only for a handful of specific tasks like MP3 decoding/playback and JPEG processing. Though one of my coworkers (embedded systems design and programming) has written code for the STM32H7, and he thought it was also capable of processing video--full HD video might be a stretch to get working though. I'm not sure what constraints CS Lab is working under in regards to the STM32H7.

Anyway, AFAIK the latest from Sellen via their website:

"Hi, everything okay, thanks for asking. We have a lot of work with ours (and company's) mainly tasks now - unfortunately... We're (slowly ) preparing a new batch of Warp boards to the customers which already sent CPUs to us. I wish to have more time for this project. It is really very important to me, but I have to care about the company business first, otherwise we'll end without ability to do anything."

Anyway, we're preparing the online ordering system and new website. This doesn't have enough flexibility for the online shop. We switched to Wordpress, but there is still some work to do to make the new webpage visible on this address. Stay tuned; we're alive and working to make Warp boards available for you guys. I know that it's taking a long time, but what can I say... sorry, and trust me, if I could afford it, the Warp project would be my priority project. Cheers!"
Thanx for the update, it's understandable that they need to keep the right priorities (their main business) to be able to keep their side business (warp).

But regarding the RTG from the Warp, maybe I misunderstood something but my impression was that they actually use the integrated ChromART GPU in the ARM STM32H7/53.
Are you saying this is not the case?
Old 03 November 2020, 19:52   #255
gdonner
Ancient Amiga User

Quote:
Thanx for the update, it's understandable that they need to keep the right priorities (their main business) to be able to keep their side business (warp).

But regarding the RTG from the Warp, maybe I misunderstood something but my impression was that they actually use the integrated ChromART GPU in the ARM STM32H7/53.
Are you saying this is not the case?
Unless something has changed (or I just misunderstood), here's what CS-Lab said about the STM32 in [ Show youtube player ] (at the end of the video). It doesn't say anything specific about video per se, but CS-Lab clarifies it's not handling any graphics functions (other than JPEG decoding, as noted in CS-Lab's Quickstart Guide PDF document). I can only assume it's also not handling any video functions either, since the second quote from CS-Lab below (same source) also apparently rules that out, except perhaps for MPG1:

Quote:
What is the state of the STM32's P96 drivers? For example, does it offload blitter-like work to the STM32 or does that depend on the 68060? Other than MP3 is there anything else that the STM32 can offload and is there any API on how users can access the ARM core from the 68060?
STM32 does not support graphics; only FPGA in it is a hardware blitter, STM32 - audio decoder, USB controller, SD controller (in this form it is only an additional specialized chip). There is only a library for static tasks this system performs. You cannot write your own programs for STM32. Code is static!!
Quote:
Since some people have a DVD drive, how well does the ARM on the Warp 560 handle full length movies?
Yes, I recommend movies in 4K super looks... hahahah it's just an Amiga with a 100MHz processor. The only movies are those in MPG1 that can be decoded. I haven't seen an Amiga playing DVDs yet; maybe WinUAE.
As they have time, it will be good to have more clarification from CS-Lab in regards to the full capability of the STM32H7; there does seem to be some confusion on that. There are a lot of quotes and bits of info from CS Lab scattered across the web... I've just been trying to stitch it together as accurately as I can. :-|

I can't help but wonder if the Amiga's ~100 MHz CPU (which is slow by modern standards) may be the limiting factor? Just pure ignorant speculation on my part; please don't quote me on that.

Last edited by gdonner; 03 November 2020 at 20:10.
Old 16 November 2020, 22:32   #256
gdonner
Ancient Amiga User

The Warp 3060/4060 -and- the Warp CDTV-60 accelerator boards are both in prototype stage, and looking good (CS-Lab posted photos on their Facebook page).

Both boards use a socketed 68060, unlike the 1260 and 560.

Just amazing--a little over two years from concept to working accelerator boards for four Amiga models.

Last edited by gdonner; 19 November 2020 at 19:37.
Old 17 November 2020, 00:25   #257
Matt020

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdonner View Post
The Warp 3060/4060 -and- the Warp CDTV-60 accelerator boards are both in prototype stage, and looking good (CS Lab posted photos on their Facebook page).

I am a little worried about the price. If the A1200 card is 500 euro for a CPU-less card, I fear to imagine what the 4000 card will cost.
Old 19 November 2020, 19:39   #258
gdonner
Ancient Amiga User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt020 View Post
I am a little worried about the price. If the A1200 card is 500 euro for a CPU-less card, I fear to imagine what the 4000 card will cost.
Similar components, similar price? Time will tell...
Old 19 November 2020, 19:40   #259
Chucky

they told it will be aprox same price. as it is same componentsprice
Old 19 December 2020, 05:38   #260
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

So how hard is it to get the chip to put in it? And how much is that chip?
I would think this is the ultimate a1200 board. Solves the problem of having to buy lots of different bits to achieve the same thing.