English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 17 July 2022, 10:56   #241
samo79

Quote:
Originally Posted by koobo View Post
Thanks for the report. This is probably related to the modifications related to window sizing from the lower left corner.

The above problem does not reproduce on kick 3.0, 3.1 or 3.2 for me though, so apparently there's something there that is not compatible with 4.1. I will try to investigate.
If you need some assistence in testing It with OS4 let me know, would be nice to make It almost usable
Old 17 July 2022, 16:53   #242
Torti-the-Smurf

I discovered the HippoPlayer on my first Aminet CD back in the days.

Using it since then

Thank you so very much
Old 17 July 2022, 21:21   #243
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrupp View Post
I found it a bit confusing the way HiP is looking for that "Impulse" file if not present in its directory. First, it will look for the assignment "eagleplayer2:" and if that's not present, the OS will (of course) ask you to insert volume "eagleplayer2:".
Why is it looking for EaglePlayer at all? Shouldn't it look for DeliPlayer instead?
Well, in the end I think it would be easier if HiP would just tell you to get DeliPlayer from Aminet and copy the "Impulse" player file to the Hippo directory.
You have good points. The reason for the search path mechanism is because DeliCustom module support evolved into partial eagleplayer support with a few steps in between. Eagleplayers were more interesting than deliplayers as there were many more of those. Impulse is the only deliplayer that Hippo uses, and the only one not in the group file. I guess it could be included, I was just hesitant since it was quite new, from the year 2000 or so
Old 17 July 2022, 21:24   #244
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga1260 View Post
I have amiga 4000 with ZXZ9000 and the Hippoplayer has a yellow tint on the Hippo. I'm using Hippoplayer version 2.53 and it has it from 2.45
Do you mean that the hippo head graphic looks wrong?
Is is using the first four colors of the Workbench palette.
Old 18 July 2022, 09:44   #245
koobo

Turns out there is a chip memory corruption bug in v2.53 related to the window resizing mechanism changes, this is likely to lead to a crash. The bug appears on kickstart 2.x, not on kickstart 3.x, for some reason. I usually only test on kick 1.3 and kick 3.0, so I missed this

Here's a patched binary: https://github.com/koobo/HippoPlayer...aster/dist/HiP
Old 18 July 2022, 20:39   #246
DisasterIncarna

2x Bugs Found.

1) Move window to where you prefer it to be, open prefs, save, quit, relaunch, your window position is indeed saved, however if you launch, then press RMB to minimise to the minimum view, reposition the minimised hippoplayer window bar, then go back into prefs, save prefs and relaunch, the minimised window position defaults to its old location, which for me is center of the screen near the top, having both the main window as well as the minimised window save position would be nice, or just have the window minimise to its normal position.

2) When minimised to a windowbar/title, if you float down to where your buttons usually are when maximised, the button tooltips (some/all, not sure, hard to test when you cant see them) still respond and appear as if the buttons are still visible.

Picture of the tooltip issue shown in screenshot attachment.

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; 04 September 2023 at 13:30.
Old 19 July 2022, 11:41   #247
koobo

Quote:
A small bug I encountered with v2.53: the setting for 'MPEGA quality' seems not to be saved correctly. I set it to 'high', click 'save' and close HiP. After starting up HiP again, it's reset to 'low'. Other settings like 'MPEGA freq. div' are correctly saved.
Well spotted! Will fix.
Old 19 July 2022, 11:44   #248
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
2x Bugs Found.

1) Move window to where you prefer it to be, open prefs, save, quit, relaunch, your window position is indeed saved, however if you launch, then press RMB to minimise to the minimum view, reposition the minimised hippoplayer window bar, then go back into prefs, save prefs and relaunch, the minimised window position defaults to its old location, which for me is center of the screen near the top, having both the main window as well as the minimised window save position would be nice, or just have the window minimise to its normal position.

2) When minimised to a windowbar/title, if you float down to where your buttons usually are when maximised, the button tooltips (some/all, not sure, hard to test when you cant see them) still respond and appear as if the buttons are still visible.
Thanks, will fix!
Old 20 July 2022, 19:56   #249
DisasterIncarna

1 more bug for the list: Changing font, even with save/quit/reload causes the new font to correctly work on all buttons/prefs pages, except on the "LOADING" page in prefs which has the file match pattern and Archive/String gadgets still using 1 of my other fonts, also those string gadgets look kinda squashed and could maybe get a little extra height?.

Still love the fixes/updates, so i'll run now after giving you more work

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; 04 September 2023 at 09:02.
Old 21 July 2022, 15:58   #250
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
1 more bug for the list: Changing font, even with save/quit/reload causes the new font to correctly work on all buttons/prefs pages, except on the "LOADING" page in prefs which has the file match pattern and Archive/String gadgets still using 1 of my other fonts, also those string gadgets look kinda squashed and could maybe get a little extra height?.
Yes, this is certainly a very severe bug! Looking at the docs it seems that the string gadgets inherit the screen font on kick 1.3. On kick 2.0 it is possible to change it using the StringExtend structure and setting the property sex_Font in it. Sex!
Old 21 July 2022, 18:33   #251
DisasterIncarna

nice, sexy fonts.
Old 22 July 2022, 22:27   #252
mrupp

I love the GUI improvements for OS 1.3 you did with v2.52. A tiny-tiny thing I noticed: When dragging a slider (horizontal like in 'volume' or vertical like in 'playlist') its knob turns black, being black on a black background making it look like disappearing. Maybe it would be possible to use any other pen instead? If it's not too much trouble, of course.
Old 23 July 2022, 11:20   #253
koobo

Quote:
I love the GUI improvements for OS 1.3 you did with v2.52. A tiny-tiny thing I noticed: When dragging a slider (horizontal like in 'volume' or vertical like in 'playlist') its knob turns black, being black on a black background making it look like disappearing. Maybe it would be possible to use any other pen instead? If it's not too much trouble, of course.
On kick1.3 the prop gadget frame and background colors are the same as the titlebar foreground and background colors. For some reason I had set the bg color to black. This also made it so that the knob would turn invisible when grabbed, hence the problem.

I've also noticed that the past-me was a bit lazy. For example, the kick2.0 prop gadgets have this 3d-kind of look. There's no reason why the same visualization could not be used on kick1.3 too (Lazy #1). The things needed are kick1.3 specific graphics, which is not too much trouble.
  • Lazy #2: The prop gadget knobs do not provide feedback when activated on kick2+. Can be fixed with a one-liner.
  • Lazy #3: The RMB activated buttons did not provide any feedback when activated (this was already fixed in v2.46).
  • Lazy #4: Font support on kickstart 1.3 was disabled, even though making it work is just a small fix.
It's a rainy morning so I've managed to fix all the above mentioned lazy points!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-23 at 11.55.29.png
Views:	86
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	76079  

Last edited by koobo; 23 July 2022 at 11:56.
Old 23 July 2022, 17:04   #254
DisasterIncarna

Old 23 July 2022, 19:02   #255
macce2
Retro maniac

I suspect using Hippoplayer on my classic (060) OS3.9 system
to possibly cause random system lockups.
I have Picasso96 installed and I think it is the latest free version (!?).
The other application candidate for those lockups is the Exchange program,
found in the Tools/Commodities drawer.
A little off topic, but Has OS3.9 Exchange commodity been tested "properly" ..?

Last edited by macce2; 23 July 2022 at 19:12. Reason: possibly relevant info
Old 23 July 2022, 19:35   #256
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by macce2 View Post
I suspect using Hippoplayer on my classic (060) OS3.9 system
to possibly cause random system lockups.
I have Picasso96 installed and I think it is the latest free version (!?).
The other application candidate for those lockups is the Exchange program,
found in the Tools/Commodities drawer.
A little off topic, but Has OS3.9 Exchange commodity been tested "properly" ..?
Which version of HippoPlayer are you using? Have you found a way to repeat the problem? I suspect not since you mentioned random
Old 23 July 2022, 20:11   #257
macce2
Retro maniac

It's the latest updated version of HP You have released. (Thanks !)
No; I haven't been able to properly test the problem, yet.
Might be something else.
But after reading the post(-s) by DisasterIncarna;
I began to think that maybe the cause of my random system lockups could
have something to do with the P96 system installed; and/or HP, Directory Opus (v.5.18),
Shell, and in some cases, Exchange. (also WHDload games and TurboCalc, but these seem to behave mostly fine, I think)
These are some of the apps I tend to use the most often.
But I think I'd better check the version of icon.library, too.
(recently, the loading of the graphical desktop (wallpaper / background picture of WB) and the icons shown changed someway.
Those desktop icons are currently drawn on "different way" (on some kind of "boxes").
Maybe solving that would help and thus, my random system lockups might have nothing particular to do with HippoPlayer.

However, there is one thing that May be a possible cause:
I have HippoPlayer installed on my System partition (about 2,5 Gb).
The modules etc. are located on a different Volume / partition (about 4 Gb).
Could this cause problems ?!
Additionally, I'm using a 14-bit calibration file I have made earlier.
I have no soundcard installed.
I have set the maximum frequency to about 27 MHz for the most
adjustable settings of HP.
I have no exact clue of "the ideal" settings of Hp for my setup.
(the buffers etc). (?!)

Last edited by macce2; 23 July 2022 at 20:37. Reason: the general use / installation of HippoPlayer
Old 23 July 2022, 20:36   #258
DisasterIncarna

ive had issues with regular exchange even on OS31 and OS32, dependant on other system patches installed possibly, but i got round my exchange crashing by using https://aminet.net/package/util/cdity/Magic-Exchange an MUI clone/replacement.

Via the process of elimination try that exchange clone and perhaps some others on aminet if the 1 linked also crashes, at least you can deduce if exchange is your issue or something else.

Maybe start another thread with either video or pictures of your setups visible issues followed by a list of stuff you have installed, mostly patches/os hacks etc so we could all narrow down the list of possible issues.

It took me over a week just to find out "one" of my issues was the program "UnixDirs3", which Vinced installed, this ended up being the cause of a ton of issues where programs were getting incorrect path names and programs would fail to load or pop up requesters to insert volume <rando name here>. It can be a ballache tracking down issues, but you get there in the end with patience and a lot of forum reading/writing
Old 23 July 2022, 20:45   #259
macce2
Retro maniac

@DisasterIncarna

Thank you for your help and for the link !

I think I'd better investigate some other "parts" of my setup, first.

Please, see my previous post on this thread (updated!).
Old 23 July 2022, 21:23   #260
DisasterIncarna

this is why you want a new thread dedicated to your system instability, as the first check would be the likes of what system patches/hacks do you run? MCP? Visualprefs? Birdie? MathLib Replacements, the list can be high for those of us using a multitude of patches. Sometimes those patches are "fine", IF executed in out startup sequences in whats considered the "right" place, it all adds up.

As for hippo, best leave it till last as a possible source of issues till you can conclude the rest of your setups not balancing on a knife edge first. having modules/etc on another drive is fine, mine are hosted on a home NAS Drive and hippo runs them just fine, be they MODS, or MP3's.

Anything else that "could" crash hippo, um, maybe go to prefs/play-1, and try disabling Nasty Audio/VBlank Timing, ive had issues with 1 or both of these before, 1 caused a crash (under a heavily patched emulator) and 1 caused mp3's to play at the incorrect speed weirdly enough.

If you have no soundcard then make sure AHI is disabled in prefs as well, this would be an un-needed middleman and maybe? cause of issues for some?

cant think of anything else offhand atm that hippo might get wrong, i mean its a song player rather than a system hack/patch so its 99.9% of the time perfectly fine...