English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 26 February 2010, 21:45   #241
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

The point was: you complained about input latency in this thread WITHOUT testing using last official version. Which is big NO NO. Nothing to do with your D3D "problem" (which is perfectly on-topic but latency is guaranteed to be nothing new in this beta..)

Warp mode via uae-configuration is fixed in latest beta (no config will fix it in older versions)

I have no idea about video recording (something I don't really care)

"Unfortunately" I rarely care or support obsolete hardware or software. I can't keep adding features without dropping older stuff or result will be even worse mess.

EDIT: directdraw null filter seems to use too much cpu power, perhaps this is some older issue..

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 26 February 2010 at 21:51.
Old 26 February 2010, 22:11   #242
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I lied again, non-shader is back (it was only few more lines)
http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip "should" work with non-shader capable DX9 compatible cards again. (overlays of course are not supported)

Not really tested, don't have old enough hardware..
Old 26 February 2010, 23:00   #243
Maren
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas View Post
Maren, telling from my (sore) eyes, this is the VERY same artifact as I can see on your Kid Chaos screenshot far above: last horizontal eighth (or tenth) of the screen feels as if viewed through colored sunglasses, or as if you look into a mirror of which the (narrow) bottom area is covered with dirt.
Indeed, exactly the same, and not only horizontally but vertically as well I was just letting him know that if he happened to spot any of the other existing abnormalities in the image, WinUAE wouldn't be to blame.
Old 26 February 2010, 23:30   #244
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
The point was: you complained about input latency in this thread WITHOUT testing using last official version. Which is big NO NO. Nothing to do with your D3D "problem" (which is perfectly on-topic but latency is guaranteed to be nothing new in this beta..)
Whoa. Some misunderstanding. All tests were on latest beta, and compared to next latest beta, and I explained the reason for the latency... 25-40 fps with anything except Filter:none on. In both those 'almost latest' betas. I haven't tried an older stable version yet at all! (I have no idea what could have given you that impression...)

Quote:
Warp mode via uae-configuration is fixed in latest beta (no config will fix it in older versions)
I will start again from a Quickstart config, and see if it works. If that's what you mean?

I will test immediatlement!

No-shader-support is back too \o/

ps. I did disagree with your decision to make an emu that runs fine on very old CPUs demand PS2.0 gfx cards, but I am in no way interfering with the path you think is right for WinUAE, and any decisions you make is yours to make. I'm not the dev of WinUAE, you are. If you think you see a complaint in my posts, it is unintentional or misinterpreted. Or maybe I didn't @#$%^&* check the fps on this machine before If I can code A500 on this laptop using any settings, I'm happy. If not, it will serve as a generic PC<-> Amiga file transfer device, as was intended.
Old 26 February 2010, 23:47   #245
Photon

Test results (as always with latest beta):

Direct3D works, gives slightly different scanlines look than DirectDraw in PAL filter (maybe I lowered resolution in between), and 39-45 fps during bootup rather than 37 fps with DDraw.

"uae-configuration gfx_framerate=10" gives "uae-configuration failed returncode 20". Should I get a newer uae-configuration command? This one is from latest stable, most probably. I'm afraid I commented the above line away during next last beta tests, so I'd have to check if it worked with that (do you want me to?)

Config and logs attached.
Attached Files
File Type: uae ToniTest1.uae (13.1 KB, 128 views)
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (11.9 KB, 160 views)
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (6.1 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by Photon; 26 February 2010 at 23:53.
Old 27 February 2010, 00:52   #246
Maren
Banned

Here's something that crashes WinUAE:

1. Run WinUAE.
2. Go fullscreen.
3. Open a file selection box (e.g. end+F1)
4. While in there, press F1.

Logs, config and .dmp file: http://www.fileshost.com/download.php?id=F24DC4571
Old 27 February 2010, 01:47   #247
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
@Photon
In general, "returncode 20" sounds like too old or incompatible kickstart. (AmigaDOS CLI executables may show this if they're made for OS 2.0+ and you attempt to use them with 1.x)
Maybe it works in 3.0 instead of the 3.1 that you used.

Last edited by andreas; 27 February 2010 at 01:57.
Old 27 February 2010, 02:26   #248
Photon

Returncode 20 means something only to the one who programmed the CLI command. (Not necessarily Toni.)

I'm pretty sure uae-configuration would work as well with 3.1 as with 3.0.

I started out with the latest beta and the quickstart, ie. 1.3, and then changed kickstart and display settings.

Edit: I don't have kick 3.0 (other than as original chips), but I tried with kick 2.0. It does work (ie. no interruped s-seq), but I notice no 2-300 fps like with my warpmode hotkey, neither with the config's PAL filter, nor with Filter:none. (If that helps.)

Edit: Restarted with quickstart (1.3) and only added the harddrive directory with the s-seq with the uae-configuration command first in it, and it didn't affect the fps then either. 49/50 fps.

Last edited by Photon; 27 February 2010 at 02:35.
Old 27 February 2010, 07:47   #249
Maren
Banned

Quote:
Does the problem disappear if you edit winuae.fx and replace

AddressU = Clamp;
AddressV = Clamp;

with "Wrap" like this:

Code:
sampler	OverlaySampler = sampler_state {
	Texture	  = (OverlayTexture);
	MinFilter = POINT;
	MagFilter = POINT;
	MipFilter = NONE;
	AddressU  = Wrap;
	AddressV  = Wrap;
};
I know the question wasn't directed at me, but you might want to know that fixed the problem here
Old 27 February 2010, 09:50   #250
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
"uae-configuration gfx_framerate=10" gives "uae-configuration failed returncode 20". Should I get a newer uae-configuration command? This one is from latest stable, most probably. I'm afraid I commented the above line away during next last beta tests, so I'd have to check if it worked with that (do you want me to?)
Command line syntax is uae-configuration <param> [<value>] (without '=')

Note that uae-configuration does not work if you have configuration that does not need "uae boot rom" (filesystem, bsdsocket, etc.. expansions that need hooks in Amiga memory)
Old 27 February 2010, 11:16   #251
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
ps. I did disagree with your decision to make an emu that runs fine on very old CPUs demand PS2.0 gfx cards, but I am in no way interfering with the path you think is right for WinUAE, and any decisions you make is yours to make. I'm not the dev of WinUAE, you are. If you think you see a complaint in my posts, it is unintentional or misinterpreted. Or maybe I didn't @#$%^&* check the fps on this machine before If I can code A500 on this laptop using any settings, I'm happy. If not, it will serve as a generic PC<-> Amiga file transfer device, as was intended.
It does not run "fine" if it can't keep stable 50Hz refresh rates (CPU% always under 100%). Also it really does not need Direct3D, DirectDraw without filtering works also fine, scaling is extra feature that is not needed for "fine" running

10 years or so old PC hardware is something I won't care at all. (even 5 years equals near obsolete garbage for me) I know most of you won't agree but I hope it explains why some things can and will happen

I didn't see your post as complaints, I only misunderstood it partly.. (and you should have said CPU% is higher on this and that version, instead of talking about FPS)
Old 27 February 2010, 12:42   #252
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
You should see some difference if you change horizontal or vertical scaling. (graphics errors in right border in some specific scaling factors if mode is "Clamp")
Hmm...there is no file "winuae.fx" in the WinUAE-folder of my home pc.

But every mask seems to work flawless (at 640x400).

Last edited by john4p; 27 February 2010 at 12:48.
Old 27 February 2010, 13:40   #253
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
Hmm...there is no file "winuae.fx" in the WinUAE-folder of my home pc.

But every mask seems to work flawless (at 640x400).
You do have it somewhere in plugins. Masks won't work without it. (you are using "too small" resolution to see the problem)
Old 27 February 2010, 13:50   #254
Maren
Banned

Update: The "wrap" trick works great for plain scanlines, but now that I've tried more complex masks, I can spot a new artifact which's slightly less annoying than the "border dimming". Will make comparison screenshots later.
Old 27 February 2010, 14:08   #255
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
Update: The "wrap" trick works great for plain scanlines, but now that I've tried more complex masks, I can spot a new artifact which's slightly less annoying than the "border dimming". Will make comparison screenshots later.
try winuae.zip before doing any screenshots, it may be already fixed (if you mean small "seam" appearing where the graphics issue was before "wrap")
Old 27 February 2010, 14:24   #256
Maren
Banned

Quote:
try winuae.zip before doing any screenshots, it may be already fixed (if you mean small "seam" appearing where the graphics issue was before "wrap")
Yes, that's exactly what I was seeing, but you've nailed the bugger and now it's perfect
Old 27 February 2010, 14:43   #257
Maren
Banned

Ok, apparently WinUAE's internal scanlines effect is broken for "Null Filter" (no scanlines appear at all) while the PAL one gets a double-scanline in the middle, but I think I saw this in the non-winuae.zip versions as well.

I'm in a hurry right now but I'll post the logs and everything else as soon as I get a chance.
Old 27 February 2010, 14:45   #258
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Ok, apparently WinUAE's internal scanlines effect is broken for "Null Filter" (no scanlines appear at all) while the PAL one gets a double-scanline in the middle, but I think I saw this in the non-winuae.zip versions as well.

I'm in a hurry right now but I'll post the logs and everything else as soon as I get a chance.
What are "internal" scanlines? Display panel scanlines or d3d scanlines?
Old 27 February 2010, 14:47   #259
Maren
Banned

D3D of course. Ever since filters started working here, I haven't touched the display panel's.
Old 27 February 2010, 15:21   #260
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
should be fixed in updated winuae.zip

Quote:
D3D of course. Ever since filters started working here, I haven't touched the display panel's.
Display panel scanlines are more "internal" than filter panel scanlines. (and quite useless now because they are "burned" to emulated display which makes ugly result if there is any scaling..)