English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 December 2022, 21:59   #241
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Ah, so that's the trick to beating SOTB 1 & 2. You need to kill yourself first. Amiga games really were hardcore.
Old 08 December 2022, 17:14   #242
Weasel Fierce

Test Drive 2
Legit dont remember if I ever played this before. On one hand its a lot more of a game than the first one. There's more options and more stuff in here. I played it with the expansion stuff, I should add.
On the other hand, it still doesn't feel super exciting to play.
I could see returning to this one on occasion and if you got into it, there is a lot of difficulty modes and whatnot to draw you in.
For 89, what other options were there for a racer that tried to be a little bit of a simulation?
3/5 but a low 3.

Heimdall 2
A brief replay for a game I did complete back in the day. This is kind of a precursor for modern action roleplaying games, but a lot more stuffy. The colorful graphics are nice, there's an undercurrent of humor and there's some nice touches like having two characters. The puzzles are pretty thin and each location only usually has one or two things to do, but its a fun game. Combat is pretty weak though and the magic system is mostly something you can ignore.
I played the AGA version then and now.
3/5

Addams Family
Replay. A really fun platformer with a lot going for it. These film tie-ins always turned out to be generic platformers but I rather like this one. The "spooky" vibe is cute and theres a decent bit of exploration to do. Controls are decent too.
3/5

Afterburner
I had never played the Amiga version of this before. I probably won't again either. This just isn't very fun to play. Its twitchy and you can do about as well just waggling the stick randomly as if you try to actually line up a shot for the 0.01 miliseconds you have a target. There are apparently two versions of this? This was the activision version for what its worth.
1/5

Skipped: Heimdall OCS and CD32

With Heimdall 2 completion logged and I recalled that I did finish Street Fighter 2 back in them days, completion score is at 64 (for beat em ups, Im going to count completion if you beat the game with any character).
Old 08 December 2022, 17:21   #243
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Fierce View Post
Afterburner

There are apparently two versions of this? This was the activision version for what its worth.
Yep, the Activision version being a port of Afterburner while the Sega version is a port of Afterburner II but named just Afterburner... Both games are pretty much the same in terms of fun to play.
Old 08 December 2022, 17:35   #244
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Yep, the Activision version being a port of Afterburner while the Sega version is a port of Afterburner II but named just Afterburner... Both games are pretty much the same in terms of fun to play.
So the Afterburner that is not Afterburner is roughly the same as the Afterburner that is Afterburner. I need to sit down for a minute.
Old 08 December 2022, 17:55   #245
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
So the Afterburner that is not Afterburner is roughly the same as the Afterburner that is Afterburner. I need to sit down for a minute.
Indeed
Old 08 December 2022, 20:05   #246
demoniac

Quote:
I believe both are Afterburner II, because the II vector balls show up in the attract mode.
Old 08 December 2022, 20:43   #247
jotd
This cat is no more

After giving it thought, Addams Family may be the only decent move tie-in game.

I completely suck at it but it has a 8-bit ZX Spectrum vibe and mystery that always attracted me. Technically properly programmed too.
Old 08 December 2022, 21:57   #248
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post

I completely suck at it but it has a 8-bit ZX Spectrum vibe and mystery that always attracted me. Technically properly programmed too.
I liked Lethal Weapon a lot but its fairly generic.
Old 08 December 2022, 22:22   #249
jotd
This cat is no more

Lethal Weapon is also good. Both Ocean conversions. Unlike Running Man...
Old 08 December 2022, 22:23   #250
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Up yours, people who keep calling Batman the Movie "good"!

If we talk strictly about platformer movie tie ins: Aladdin And me personally I like the Blues Brothers, because two player mode. Outside of the realm of platformers, Indy 3 would like to have a word with you.
Old 08 December 2022, 22:26   #251
jotd
This cat is no more

Yeah, sorry, got carried away by turd Arnie & Bruce conversions (Total Recall, Terminator 2, Cliffhanger, Running Man, Hudson Hawk...). Yes, there are a few movie ties in around, true. But those are exceptions.

Note that 2 player mode of Blues Brothers (which isn't really a movie tie-in, movie is from 1980) is a bit unplayable specially at level 1 when you enter in the shop, the other player doesn't and gets hit! Good game overall with ace music and big levels. Nice Titus effort, specially remembered on the PC where such games were rare.
Old 08 December 2022, 22:33   #252
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

That's Titus for you, all their games are lopsided. I think they would get to a point where their game was great and then just break it on purpose. That was their signature.
Old 08 December 2022, 22:50   #253
jotd
This cat is no more

Yeah, pity (except for Prehistorik which was plain crap). I found about Blues Brothers 2 player mode only recently. Getting to enable it is not trivial. Then playing it... arghhh.

Also level 1 is good but has this pretty difficult jump/fly section on the clouds where you only get a few tries before running out of crates and you're stuck because you can't reach the left platform... Lame.
Old 09 December 2022, 06:24   #254
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniac View Post
I believe both are Afterburner II, because the II vector balls show up in the attract mode.
You are right. At least that way both follow the same logic.
Old 09 December 2022, 16:28   #255
Weasel Fierce

Just one today.

Death Knights of Krynn
A game I have beaten before but I did replay the opening segments. If you like the Gold Box games, the Krynn series is basically the best they ever got. You get to carry over your old party and unlike the Forgotten Realms series you keep most of your items giving you a serious leg up (though also making 90% of the loot completely pointless).
The story is fun if a bit blah, there's some tough-as-nails battles but the game never becomes impossible.
4/5 but as with others in the series, the interface is seriously unfriendly.
Old 10 December 2022, 17:06   #256
Weasel Fierce

Two replays. In both cases, I played a couple levels.

Eye of the Beholder
In my opinion this was always the "Dungeon master killer". DM may have more to do in terms of puzzles but the leap in sound and visuals is substantial. While the sequel would be a lot more intricate in design, there is a lot going on here with different groups inhabiting the dungeon and (at least in the story) interacting with each other. It feels like a D&D dungeon in a way that many (most?) computer RPG's do not.
As a kid exploring the dark corridors and hearing foot steps in the gloom was pretty tense.

The gameplay is let down a little by the amount of stupid tricks (spinners, teleports etc.) which make no sense and are only there to piss you off.
I always thought the "combat dance" was stupid but people apparently like that aspect.
4/5

Eye of the Beholder 2
The bigger and bolder sequel with more stuff, more interactions (well, a bit more) and a much more complex "dungeon" with more plot going on. There's some pretty wild stuff in this game and its a heavy challenge.
You even get to carry your characters over with most of their gear for a substantially easier time of it.
4/5

There are fan AGA versions of both, which seem like they would be the definitive versions particularly for the auto mapping feature.

I have never managed to complete either (and last time I tried to beat EOB1 with a guide, I still got lost somewhere) but I've watched JemyM's mega-thorough playthrough of both so 2 more completion points for that.
Old 10 December 2022, 23:55   #257
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

What you call stupid, I call devious

The combat dance, by which I assume you mean hitting an enemy and then stepping away to not allow it to hit you back, isn't great but take it away and what are you left with... just standing there and exchanging blows basically. You have to take what you can get. Even Legend of Grimrock still relied heavily on it since you can't really do a whole lot more with this type of RPG.
Old 11 December 2022, 02:45   #258
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
What you call stupid, I call devious

The combat dance, by which I assume you mean hitting an enemy and then stepping away to not allow it to hit you back, isn't great but take it away and what are you left with... just standing there and exchanging blows basically. You have to take what you can get. Even Legend of Grimrock still relied heavily on it since you can't really do a whole lot more with this type of RPG.
yeah you are totally right. It always feels like this is where the devs run into the limits of D&D combat.

Last edited by Weasel Fierce; 11 December 2022 at 02:50.
Old 11 December 2022, 08:33   #259
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
It always feels like this is where the devs run into the limits of D&D combat.
Rolling a D20 and hope for the best?
Old 11 December 2022, 17:08   #260
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Rolling a D20 and hope for the best?
Yeah, D&D combat was always a bit shit