English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 16 November 2011, 20:32   #241
NovaCoder

hiya,

It does sound like a graphics patch that's causing the issue with the C2P, have you installed any other patches?

You could try removing the pal and ntsc drivers, restarting and then setting the scummvm tooltype to PAL.
If that doesn't work, copy 'vga only' + 'Multiscan' over, restart and set the tooltype to vga.

If it's the AGA C2P routine causing the problem, you can verify by installing the ECS version of ScummVM and giving that a try (the main difference between them is the C2P routines used, the AGA one is lower-level for extra speed).

BTW I'm using ClassicWB 3.9 and it's great on my 030, why don't you give it a try?

Last edited by NovaCoder; 16 November 2011 at 23:23.
Old 17 November 2011, 09:54   #242
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Hi, it would seem that running latest scummvm from WB with a screenmode of High Res Laced results in the errors. If I set the screenmode to High Res, then scummvm loads and run maniac mansion very well.

This is using CWB ADV v24 with all hacks turned off (FBlit etc). I have NO monitor drivers in Devs. scummvm tooltype is set to PAL.
Old 17 November 2011, 10:31   #243
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Hi, it would seem that running latest scummvm from WB with a screenmode of High Res Laced results in the errors. If I set the screenmode to High Res, then scummvm loads and run maniac mansion very well.

This is using CWB ADV v24 with all hacks turned off (FBlit etc). I have NO monitor drivers in Devs. scummvm tooltype is set to PAL.
well that's strange and interesting, it shouldn't make any difference what screen mode your using for WB?

Can u do a test for me, get your WB running in multiscan 640x480 and leave the tooltype as PAL
Old 17 November 2011, 11:55   #244
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
ScummVM ecs works flawlessly regardless of screenmode. Doing the above now.

OK, ScummVM AGA, Multiscan 640x480, Monitor tooltype = PAL, Audio = Paula 8bit 8000hz

1. Splash screen corrupt, classic interface loads ok - no flickering. Maniac Mansion loads and plays.
2. Splash screen corrupt, ScummModern interface loads but with flickering of colours. Maniac Mansion loads and plays - no flickering

Last edited by DDNI; 17 November 2011 at 12:04.
Old 17 November 2011, 12:31   #245
NovaCoder

This doesn't happen with my OS 3.9 setup, I tried setting my WB to an interlaced screen mode (PAL) and ScummVM AGA still works fine?

Anyway if the ECS version is working on your setup, then it must be something to do with the AGA's lower-level C2P routine. I could easily swap it for the slower one used by the ECS version....maybe I could do as an option.
Old 17 November 2011, 13:28   #246
ancalimon
Supernormal

do we have soundfont support? I remember installing timidity on my pc and a beautiful soundfont. It made midi music impressive.
Old 17 November 2011, 22:06   #247
rockersuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
This doesn't happen with my OS 3.9 setup, I tried setting my WB to an interlaced screen mode (PAL) and ScummVM AGA still works fine?

Anyway if the ECS version is working on your setup, then it must be something to do with the AGA's lower-level C2P routine. I could easily swap it for the slower one used by the ECS version....maybe I could do as an option.
Ooops! just to add to the confusion! I've been launching it from my PAL Hires WB 3.1 (no CWB, no hacks at all) without any problem for some time, until... I tried doing it from a HighFX Indivision mode (1024x768) and... there was the flickering crazy thing both in the launcher and in the games...

Then I switched to my 3.9 partition, which boots at that HighFX mode by default, and there was no trouble at all...

--
Old 17 November 2011, 22:40   #248
NovaCoder

I think may know what's going on, it's something to do with the version of the WB libs (ROM/WB). I use the WB API do choose the best PAL mode to use, with my OS 3.9 setup it always chooses the same PAL sceen mode without looking at what mode WB happens to be running in at the time but it looks like OS 3.1 chooses the current WB mode.

I'll think I'll try a different approach to choosing a screen-mode and then get you guys to test it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
do we have soundfont support? I remember installing timidity on my pc and a beautiful soundfont. It made midi music impressive.
No sorry, no external MIDI support in ScummVM ECS/AGA/RTG. I could look at adding timidity support but I've got no spare time and no external MIDI hw to test with either. The good news (for 060) users is that MIDI emulation should be improved with the latest releases.

Last edited by NovaCoder; 18 November 2011 at 03:51. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 18 November 2011, 05:18   #249
NathanTolbert
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
No sorry, no external MIDI support in ScummVM ECS/AGA/RTG. I could look at adding timidity support but I've got no spare time and no external MIDI hw to test with either. The good news (for 060) users is that MIDI emulation should be improved with the latest releases.
What would you need hardware wise to be able to add external MIDI support into ScummVM for Amiga? I may be able to make an External box for midi for you. If you need midi sequencers (I.E. MT-32, SC-55, etc.), those I don't have any spares of, I'm afraid.
Old 18 November 2011, 12:40   #250
ancalimon
Supernormal

I don't use any external midi hardware for soundfont support.
Old 19 November 2011, 17:56   #251
NathanTolbert
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
I don't use any external midi hardware for soundfont support.

This is because you are using a Sound Blaster Live! card, correct? Theoretically, identifying how to add midi support using a midi sequencer, should assist in allowing the use of a soundfont I would think. I just thought if he needs the hardware to hook up midi to program it, I could help with that.
Old 19 November 2011, 18:51   #252
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanTolbert View Post
This is because you are using a Sound Blaster Live! card, correct? Theoretically, identifying how to add midi support using a midi sequencer, should assist in allowing the use of a soundfont I would think. I just thought if he needs the hardware to hook up midi to program it, I could help with that.
No. Just the onboard Realtek chip.

Installed this (Timidity): http://sourceforge.jp/projects/twsynth/
After that any soundfont can be used with Dosbox or ScummVM.

I guess the newer versions of ScummVM supports soundfonts out of the box thought that fluidsynth thingy?

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=5346
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic....light=timidity

PS: Here's the great soundfont I used: http://www.geocities.jp/shansoundfont/

EDIT: Just found this: http://aminet.net/package/mus/midi/AmiTiMiDity.lha

Apparently the same program exists for Amiga! Maybe this could be used to add soundfont support?

Last edited by ancalimon; 19 November 2011 at 21:11.
Old 20 November 2011, 21:11   #253
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
1) You should always patch exec.library's CopyMem() and CopyMemQuick() routines for faster processor specific versions.
I use Blizkick, I have copymem060 running. Is that enough?

I can start Day Of The Tentacle sometimes with sound stutters.

Will be testing.

Novacoder: Would you make a Warpup version if I manage to fix my BlizzardPPC and send it to you? Hopefully with RTG support as well

Last edited by ancalimon; 20 November 2011 at 21:19.
Old 20 November 2011, 23:13   #254
NovaCoder

can you also try the 040 version with dott to compare the sound, thanks

Quote:
I use Blizkick, I have copymem060 running. Is that enough?

I can start Day Of The Tentacle sometimes with sound stutters.

Will be testing.

Novacoder: Would you make a Warpup version if I manage to fix my BlizzardPPC and send it to you? Hopefully with RTG support as well
Old 21 November 2011, 19:11   #255
ancalimon
Supernormal

I'm going to try the 040 version now with Discword1 CD version. It worked real fast using 060 version but again with stuttering sound (unfortunately speech and sound effects came as white noise. I guess it's due to compressed audio. Will try uncompressing it). Would you like a video? Can only use Iphone for this since I can2t find the transfer cable of of camera.

What tooltypes could I use for this issue? Is AUDIO_CALLBACK_RATE=10 not supported any longer with the 060 version?

Also do I really need an old version of AHI? I have set up the music unit to 8bit (not the + version) 11khz.

EDIT: It works with sound effects, speech and music using the 060 version with sound stutters.
Trying 040 version now.

Last edited by ancalimon; 21 November 2011 at 20:38.
Old 21 November 2011, 21:35   #256
ancalimon
Supernormal

Here's is testing Discworld1 using ScummVM AGA 040 version from Aminet.

No sound stutters when using this version
When using 060 version, sound stutters a lot.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 November 2011, 23:58   #257
NovaCoder

Hiya,

Thanks for the video, your Amiga runs the 040 version of Discworld very well and I notice that you've also got the MIDI emulator running at the same time without slowdown.....very cool to see on the real thing

Most games will run much faster without MIDI BTW, so if you have games that are slow then selecting 'no music' within the ScummVM UI will make them run faster (obviously if the game doesn't actually use MIDI it won't make any difference to the speed!).

ScummVM AGA/ECS/RTG does not support compressed audio, you must use the original uncompressed audio files if you want to play.

About how the audio works:

In the 030/040 version only, it uses the AHI device specified in the AHI Prefs (music unit)....the best one to use is either 8bit Stereo++ FAST or (if you've got the power) 14bit Stereo++ FAST if you have Paula. If you have a real 16bit sound card then use a 16bit stereo mode. The actual audio rate used is the one specified in the ScummVM UI and not the one specified in your AHI prefs. A game will always run slower the higher you set the audio playback rate (eg 8k is the fastest).

Last edited by NovaCoder; 22 November 2011 at 00:40.
Old 22 November 2011, 00:05   #258
ancalimon
Supernormal

can you also make a 060 version that uses the same audio system?

It feels kinda odd that I have to use the 040 version on my 060
Old 22 November 2011, 00:39   #259
NovaCoder

Yep I was going to update the 060 audio back to the 040 version's audio when I get the time.

I think the problem with the current 060 audio is that it's exhausting the chip-ram write speed (eg you get audio stutter when you use Paula).
Old 22 November 2011, 00:47   #260
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Yep I was going to update the 060 audio back to the 040 version's audio when I get the time.

I think the problem with the current 060 audio is that it's exhausting the chip-ram write speed (eg you get audio stutter when you use Paula).
Thanks
So it wouldn't have happened if I had a Delfina?

btw so you know what ahi dma paula mod is useful for?

Also when I exit a game and try to restart ScummVM AGA, I get trashed GUI screen and some repeating noise sound. Maybe 060 getting too hot? (it doesn't always happen)

Just tried Space Quest 4 but it was a bit slow. (with midi enabled) the 060 version was better in this case. The 040 version simply stuttered a lot and was slow while 060 version stuttered but was much faster. On one of my tries with the 040 version, speech in game did not stutter (it stuttered during intros) but I have no idea how that happened.

Can't fastram be used instead of chipram to overcome this? (I guess not. :P )

Last edited by ancalimon; 22 November 2011 at 02:51.