English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 May 2023, 21:28   #241
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Well in this case it seems the light system absolutely killed the texture cause I'm counting 11 colors (in actuality they seem half that amount, cause it's extremely close hues overall - extremely hard to distinguish) while the original has 23.

Do you know how lighting works in general? Is it real-time or baked in? And if it's real-time, does the total color count per texture fluctuates or stays the same?
It's completely realtime, vertex based. Also, worth noting that when the upper and lower vertices of the wall are the same brightness, the engine uses a dithering routine that improves things noticeably, but is cusiously absent in the general case. The option we added to the F8 key forces all walls to work this way as it's faster.
Old 08 May 2023, 21:29   #242
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Also note, I'm no pixel artist, so when you find yourself done with your current projects, feel free to join in
Old 08 May 2023, 21:45   #243
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
It's completely realtime, vertex based. Also, worth noting that when the upper and lower vertices of the wall are the same brightness, the engine uses a dithering routine that improves things noticeably, but is cusiously absent in the general case. The option we added to the F8 key forces all walls to work this way as it's faster.
Cool thanks, I was wondering about that as well cause I've seen such snapshots with full dither on.

Quote:
Also note, I'm no pixel artist, so when you find yourself done with your current projects, feel free to join in
Ha!
Well it's super tempting, no doubt. I might be able to give you a hand once Grind is off the way.
Old 08 May 2023, 22:03   #244
Karlos
Alien Bleed

FYI, don't rely on the atlas file for the latest versions of assets, refer to the iff files. I only occasionally update the atlas for reference.
Old 08 May 2023, 22:24   #245
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
Half way through replacing deprecated textures in level J. There shouldn't be any bright green grids in levels A-I by now.
I only managed to find one area with the bright green grids (after falling in the water and getting stuck lol) in level G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	083.png
Views:	65
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	78929  

Last edited by abu_the_monkey; 08 May 2023 at 22:30.
Old 08 May 2023, 23:05   #246
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu_the_monkey View Post
I only managed to find one area with the bright green grids (after falling in the water and getting stuck lol) in level G
That needs fixing anyway. Getting stuck without any means of escape is a gameplay bug. I decided to stop faffing around with the levels to just get the texture deprecation work done, so this was a good catch.
Old 08 May 2023, 23:50   #247
Karlos
Alien Bleed

@abu_the_monkey

I've replaced the textures in level G and fixed the dead end. The water pit is much shallower allowing you to get back out and you can find the jetpack in the level to reach the key that is otherwise unreachable. It is still possible to die in the slime if you fall in without finding the jetpack first, but that's tough titty. Levels should be completable but not necessarily free of deadly traps for the unwary.
Old 08 May 2023, 23:54   #248
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
Levels should be completable but not necessarily free of deadly traps for the unwary.
Absolutely,
Old 09 May 2023, 00:41   #249
Karlos
Alien Bleed

What do we think about the cobblestone textures? They are excellently constructed (and I even extended them significantly) but I've never understood their utility in the game. I haven't explicitly deprecated them but I am thinking I should. Between that, and the other two already being renoged, that's 3 new 640*128 sets we could have. 4, if I can confirm the current game engine is stable with it.
Old 09 May 2023, 01:11   #250
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
What do we think about the cobblestone textures? They are excellently constructed (and I even extended them significantly) but I've never understood their utility in the game. I haven't explicitly deprecated them but I am thinking I should. Between that, and the other two already being renoged, that's 3 new 640*128 sets we could have. 4, if I can confirm the current game engine is stable with it.
I think it is a great texture but just not suited to your mod. if it gives you more creative freedom, then I say replace it.
Old 09 May 2023, 09:10   #251
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu_the_monkey View Post
I think it is a great texture but just not suited to your mod. if it gives you more creative freedom, then I say replace it.
It would make a nice texture for a dungeon crawler or a heretic type game. Maybe this is why it was in the game at all and why it's at position zero: So that you could quickly tell if you needed to replace it.
Old 09 May 2023, 11:45   #252
grond

I'd say remove it. I can't see any aliens kneeling down and placing one cobblestone next to another to pave a street. This would either fit a medieval, fantasy or perhaps a mystery-scifi setting (think ancient Exegol / Sith planet or perhaps H.P. Lovecraft story line). AlienBreed to me is very much metal based, not stone, if you get my drift.
Old 09 May 2023, 12:45   #253
Karlos
Alien Bleed

I'm going for the idea that the planetside is another Osiris type planet that has been consumed by the breed, rather than an explicitly alien world. This may be a departure from the original story slightly but it makes more sense from a level design perspective.
Old 09 May 2023, 22:11   #254
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Minor push. I reworked the brown mech walls, supports and scummy tech to use a compatible set of brown shades so that they can be placed adjacent without too much of a discernable difference.

Easier said than done when red-green colourblind.

Also, level J now has a name: research labs. Which will helpmset the theme when I rework it a bit more.
Old 10 May 2023, 19:31   #255
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Pushed changes up to level J. That one was in flux when I was working on it originally, but it's starting to look pretty nice. It's not finished but it shouldn't have any green meshes.
Old 10 May 2023, 22:11   #256
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Sneak Preview of Level J Redux

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 11 May 2023, 00:00   #257
abu_the_monkey

looking good chap

I will check it out when I get the time
Old 11 May 2023, 16:58   #258
grond

That looks really stunning!