English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 July 2024, 16:40   #241
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korban View Post
and about 15x slower than a pi4 equipped pistorm with pi4.
So this is a pi4 times a pi4?
A piĀ²16 ?
Old 04 July 2024, 17:38   #242
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

A PiStorm-Lite with CM4 is about 2400MIPS (for A1200, at least). A Pi4 is slower. So roughly 10x slower, if the A600GS is 250 MIPS. Not sure where 15x slower is coming from?

Will be a more interesting (and fairer?) comparison to use Quake timedemo1 for all the systems and setups mentioned.
Old 04 July 2024, 18:27   #243
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
I wonder who came up with that machine name?
Original idea was mine, around 3 or 4 years ago. Name was Matt's suggestion, I spose for logic behind, SpannerNicks post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Commodore, more or less, not that that ever stopped AmigaKit's questionable trademarking activites.
Please give it a rest. I came up with domain for my forums, spose commodore came up with that name too?
Lets wait for the usual crew to all jump in. Just like a broken record.
Old 04 July 2024, 18:28   #244
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
A PiStorm-Lite with CM4 is about 2400MIPS (for A1200, at least). A Pi4 is slower. So roughly 10x slower, if the A600GS is 250 MIPS. Not sure where 15x slower is coming from?

Will be a more interesting (and fairer?) comparison to use Quake timedemo1 for all the systems and setups mentioned.
Another interesting thing would be to evaluate lag, I guess vampire might be the best, although the speed of Pistorm and the fact that it goes straight to the metal might make it faster still. Since A600S has Linux running beneath might not help, and don't know if running hitless helps at all
Old 04 July 2024, 23:18   #245
Marcio D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korban View Post
I got my sysspeed results from creating a config that is set to fastest possible with JIT enabled. I ran them myself, didnt rely on a 3rd party source.

And Im talking about software emulated solutions sold for money. In that regard it IS the slowest option by a wide margin.

If you ran the SysInfo tests a couple of years ago when THEA500 Mini first came out, are you confident that you're remembering the MIPS correctly? For sure it was 300 MIPS and not 200 MIPS?

If THEA500 Mini can really achieve 300 MIPS while the A600GS tops out at 257 MIPS, it's a bit disappointing given that the A600GS is two years newer. And that might explain why AmigaKit doesn't seem to be publicly disclosing the A600GS innards as far as CPU, etc. However, to say that THEA500 Mini beats the A600GS by a wide margin is an exaggeration on your part.

Of course, MIPS isn't everything, obviously. If AmigaKit can polish up the wonky aspects of AmiBench and offer some additional apps and games through AmiSphere at reasonable prices, I think the A600GS can become a very enjoyable experience for lots of folks!
Old 05 July 2024, 00:11   #246
qz3fwd

Someone need to rip the case open to set what arm contraption is inside.
Old 05 July 2024, 00:18   #247
mja65

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Someone need to rip the case open to set what arm contraption is inside.
That was done some time ago and it's an Orange Pi Zero 3 attached to a PCB which has the 9 pin joystick ports.
Old 05 July 2024, 05:21   #248
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja65 View Post
That was done some time ago and it's an Orange Pi Zero 3 attached to a PCB which has the 9 pin joystick ports.

i'm still thinking an RPi400 would be the better choice and with it being an all-in-1 keyboard/computer would seem more inline with an amiga which it was inspired from.
Old 05 July 2024, 06:38   #249
Marcio D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja65 View Post

Who did that teardown that you're referring to? Is it available on YouTube to watch, or as a web article that can be read?

It's a shame that neither of the two YouTube reviews in the past few days shows a teardown.

ETA Prime, where are you ?!?
Old 05 July 2024, 07:20   #250
mja65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcio D. View Post
Who did that teardown that you're referring to? Is it available on YouTube to watch, or as a web article that can be read?
It wasnā€™t a tear down, there was a photo posted (canā€™t remember where) showing various a600gs devices, some without the case, which showed the board as well as it still had the orange pi sticker attached.
Old 05 July 2024, 07:25   #251
aeberbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Original idea was mine, around 3 or 4 years ago. Name was Matt's suggestion, I spose for logic behind, SpannerNicks post.

Please give it a rest. I came up with domain for my forums, spose commodore came up with that name too?
Lets wait for the usual crew to all jump in. Just like a broken record.

Yeah mate, usual crew here, always ready to point out the absurdity of the defence:

"Yes we did a shitty thing, but other people do bad things sometimes, and it was a while ago so everyone should forget. Even though we continue to do it!"
Old 05 July 2024, 10:31   #252
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
Yeah mate, usual crew here, always ready to point out the absurdity of the defence:

"Even though we continue to do it!"

Really? problem is, you seem to have only one side of the story and thats enough for you. Damn, I remember seeing at all the meetings of involved parties. How could I forget.

Ah well you have your usual misguided version, I have the truth.
Again, not replying further, as you already pointed out "your part of the usual crew". Like I said broken record.
Old 05 July 2024, 10:51   #253
aeberbach

Hey, give us the truth if you feel it will make a difference. You have had the chance but last time questions were asked you disappeared. I'm one of the usual crew because you and the "managing director" have declined to give any answers (or even any substantive comment) at least not in a forum where you can't shut down conversation.

I see AmigaKit claiming copyrights that I cannot accept it is in any way entitled to.
I see AmigaKit stealing traffic from domains with web sites that look suspiciously like the places the user might have thought they were visiting.

What truth do you want to spit here, @FOL? That it's "legal"?
Old 05 July 2024, 11:07   #254
lesta_smsc

Seems to be a lot of hate towards this product.

I feel for AmigaKit as they usually get a lot of stick for releasing products.

I have not purchased A600GS and unlikely to as I like to play on CRT which is not possible (and converting HDMI to composite etc is not the same) - but for those who want a AIO solution this may be for them.

AmigaKit 8MB RAM and FLASH ROM thing hasn't been mentioned much, but I can't see anything that replicates that - assuming that others have questioned their products being stolen or made by others. However, I have it, and it is amazing and a game changer for me with on-boot options to change ROM/RAM (For PCMCIA compatibility etc) without having to ever remove it from the machine! I happened to let a friend borrow it who has damaged the pins so I need to replace the 150 pin connector but prior to this it was flawless.

This is the livelihood of some people doing it on a machine we all love. Credit to those that can afford to do this as side hobbies (github releases etc) but I've never found AmigaKit prices to be rip off in fact I was surprised when they released the Pistorm kit cheaper than I had anticipated!

For the record, I have no affiliation with AmigaKit lol.
Old 05 July 2024, 12:30   #255
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
I see AmigaKit claiming copyrights that I cannot accept it is in any way entitled to.
Then know one has a right then. You obviously have a hatred and vendetta towards amigakit. Which the mods here seem to allow to carry on.

Quote:
I see AmigaKit stealing traffic from domains with web sites that look suspiciously like the places the user might have thought they were visiting.
Where???? Show proof. If your talking about RetroPassion. Get over yourself, as I have stated before. That was sorted between the parties involved.

Fact is, I don't owe you anything, let alone a explanation. The mods should have stepped in ages ago, as you love trolling anything Amigakit. People are starting to see that.

I think the biggest problem here, a well respected member of community decided to think like you and accept one side of the story and every one else believes him like sheep. Even when presented with facts in black and white, they were dismissed. Simply cause it didn't fuel the witch hunt and hatred towards Amigakit.

Now for last time, I will not be engaging with you any more, as I dont have time. I have to prepare for leagal action against a member of this forum for directing traffic away from my website, by using a variation of my domain name. Oh what will I do, maybe I should moan on the forums.

In all serious, it didn't bother me at all. Their site didn't last long, people still think the stuff released by them is related to my site. Both sites had same subject matter. See how that works, I didnt go off all over the forums, moaning about it and drumming up a hatred for them.

Mods, please step in (split out these off topic posts), as we are on good terms with RetroPassion and this user constantly keeps trolling. Is it his intention to stir up trouble between RetroPassion and Amigakit. As it certainly seems that way.
Old 05 July 2024, 12:45   #256
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Do you ever read the whole story? Haters gotta hate? The are trademarks not copyrights and they had lapsed and with CBM/Amiga Inc gone they were free for anyone to register. Amigakit have not tried to enforce what are now their exclusive trademarks all they have done is prevent anyone else registering them and enforcing exclusive trademarks upon everyone else. If it had not been them, it could have been someone far worse!

Quote:
While slightly anticompetitive it is completely legal and something that big businesses do all the time. It was all over a long time ago, they are not doing it anymore and the two parties involved (that doesn't include you) no longer hold bad will against one another.
Old 05 July 2024, 13:06   #257
aeberbach

Fact is you have appropriated what was never yours and continue to do it - you have shown your true colors and have become uncomfortable when the light is pointed your way. A500, A600, A1000, A2000, A2500, A1200, A3000, A4000 and all the rest are all terms we know and have used since they were products of Commodore Amiga. For some third party to come along decades later and claim legal trademark is absolutely laughable.

As for pleading to mods - well good luck, but this isn't amiga.org, you don't own this site and don't get to shut down a discussion as soon as it begins to get uncomfortable. Nor is it another popular Amiga site where AmigaKit was banned outright for various reasons. It's somewhere in the middle. So if you're so busy you can't share your truth, don't be surprised if when you take a poke at "the usual crew", one of them notices.
Old 05 July 2024, 13:11   #258
aeberbach

@alexh what does it matter what enforcement has been done to date? Merely claiming a trademark on these things is a threat hanging over anyone that might want to use these terms. It is not a reasonable thing to keep for oneself or one's business. Nor is it reasonable to register a web domain remarkably like an existing one and direct traffic to a store that looks remarkably like the store you might have expected to reach. Why you defend this behaviour I can't imagine.
Old 05 July 2024, 13:26   #259
SkulleateR

Quote:
Merely claiming a trademark on these things is a threat hanging over anyone that might want to use these terms.
Ermm, you just did this (in your post)

Did you already got sued for it ???
Old 05 July 2024, 13:36   #260
aeberbach

According to some they are saints and would never do such a thing!

(ignoring FOL's mention of pending legal action just a few posts back of course.)

Of course nobody can know that for sure, which is entirely the point.