English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 June 2020, 19:01   #241
TuKo
Apollo Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
k, i will chime in, if something is not for sale any longer it doesnt mean that the author has given up his rights. What is the legality of me posting all the schematics for the vampire board, i didnt sign a confidentiality agreement.

... because it's still sold and IP owners are well known and active on that product ?
Old 02 June 2020, 19:07   #242
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuKo View Post
... because it's still sold and IP owners are well known and active on that product ?

Really, so then you pay the IP holders theiir fees
\Nice
Take a look at my designs throughout the years, there are clones everywhere, some cloned specifically for use with the vampire, but i have not complained. Hardware is a strange thing, someone can create a design, lets say for an accelerator and they are all doing the same thing and 99% of the time are very close in design so you will see clonesappear everywhere, including F:PGA designs
Old 02 June 2020, 19:11   #243
UberFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
What the Apollo team have done / are doing is completely wrong, simple.

I'm not debating if its wrong or not, I'm just asking what does EAB have to do with it?
Old 02 June 2020, 19:14   #244
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Really, so then you pay the IP holders theiir fees
\Nice
Take a look at my designs throughout the years, there are clones everywhere, some cloned specifically for use with the vampire, but i have not complained. Hardware is a strange thing, someone can create a design, lets say for an accelerator and they are all doing the same thing and 99% of the time are very close in design so you will see clonesappear everywhere, including F:PGA designs
kipper2k my friend; what other response did you expect from the responsible / law abiding Apollo team?

Just typical... quite happy to rip off other's work but don't dare do the same to them
Old 02 June 2020, 19:15   #245
UberFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselrama View Post
the legal license holder suffers from "Lost Revenue."

As has been shown (repeatedly) in the thread, you can't legally buy OS3.9.Please explain who exactly is "losing revenue" ?
Old 02 June 2020, 19:16   #246
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberFreak View Post
I'm not debating if its wrong or not, I'm just asking what does EAB have to do with it?
It's being discussed; that's what happens on forums funnily enough.
Old 02 June 2020, 19:19   #247
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
As has been shown (repeatedly) in the thread, you can't legally buy OS3.9.Please explain who exactly is "losing revenue" ?
In theory, the legal license holder. In the real world, especially if they don't choose to defend their claim? Nobody - and we should let them fight their own battles since we're talking about OS's and software that are 20 years old or older. OS 3.1.4 is in a very dubious state of legality and the license holder believes the money I paid for 3.1.4 belongs to them. See you on that snowmobile ride in Hell..
Old 02 June 2020, 19:24   #248
UberFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
It's being discussed; that's what happens on forums funnily enough.

Yes, but as a moderator you are representing EAB and you are very vocal in defending your stance in this thread.
I'm quite sure that if no moderators were so heavily involved in the thread, it would not escalate to this level.

Just an opinion, of course.
Old 02 June 2020, 19:26   #249
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Yes, but as an admin you are representing EAB and you are very vocal in defending your stance in this thread.
I'm quite sure that if no moderators were so heavily involved in the thread, it would not escalate to this level.

Just an opinion, of course.
Right, you show me exactly where in the rules it states that the Admin / Global Moderators / Moderators are not allowed to discuss stuff in threads?

...and I'm not representing EAB; I'm giving my own personal opinion on things related to the Apollo team and their questionable activities, just as every other member is free to do.

You got a problem with that?

If so, as I've said numerous times; please feel free to contact RCK or any other Global Moderator and raise your concerns.

Last edited by DamienD; 02 June 2020 at 19:32.
Old 02 June 2020, 19:30   #250
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

I'll break up the tension here with a screenshot of one of the best-looking OS3.9 installations in existence. MINE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	os3-crop-2006021927-01.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	67580  
Old 02 June 2020, 19:32   #251
UberFreak

Hmm, so say I am a moderator here, could I freely share my personal stance on piracy if its completely different than the site rules ?
After all, I'm just stating my personal opinion.

Accept it or not, moderators represent the forum in many ways, but I see your point.
Old 02 June 2020, 19:35   #252
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Hmm, so say I am a moderator here, could I freely share my personal stance on piracy if its completely different than the site rules ?
After all, I'm just stating my personal opinion.
What a dumb thing to say

Are you implying that my stance on piracy differs from EAB rules?

I think you better check again my friend...

It was me that asked Turran to close the "EAB File Server" (but I discussed with BippyM also, and he agreed); as we are aligning it with the rules due to files being uploaded that break them, and that we were not aware of.

Again, please stop diverting this topic onto me; and get back to the subject at hand... last time I ask anyone!!!

Last edited by DamienD; 02 June 2020 at 19:48.
Old 02 June 2020, 19:37   #253
Aladin

already how many percent done in checking the content of FTP?
Old 02 June 2020, 19:38   #254
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Aladin: 0% I bet.
Old 02 June 2020, 19:39   #255
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladin View Post
already how many percent done in checking the content of FTP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldacid View Post
Aladin: 0% I bet.
None so far; been a little side tracked if you haven't noticed...

Anyway, I will start when I'm ready... not when anyone else tells me to.

It's not like any of you donate to keeping it alive so... tough, wait until things are sorted out.

End of discussion.
Old 02 June 2020, 19:41   #256
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Several months later, I built an A1200 with 3.1.4. I thought it was garbage right out of the gate. All of the menu items and tools I was used didn't exist and it became apparent you couldn't do anything with a 3.1.4 installation until you added on a WHOLE LOT of additions.
I wouldn't know much of a difference between the 3.9 workbench and the 3.1.4 workbench as far as the function goes. Actually, the 3.1.4 workbench is from the same author (Olaf) and an extended version of the 3.9 version, minus the bugs found on the way.

Quote:
Why so much animosity toward 3.5/3.9 from the 3.1.4 fanboys?
I'm not sure who is showing animosity here. I'm certainly not. I helped with 3.9, and I helped with 3.1.4, so both are "my products" to a limited degree. I rather see 3.1.4 the next project we could realize without actually stealing.

Quote:
Because the 3.1.4 developers themselves felt they needed to denigrate and disparage 3.5/3.9 instead of simply selling 3.1.4 on its own merits and now most of you who swear by 3.1.4 bought/buy into that crap.
Errr... I'm not clear where you got this story from. The reality is quite simple: We could not use 3.9 as starting point because we haven't had access to its sources, nor its rights.

This is *precisely* the problem you face if you play the game the honest way: You do not always get what you want, and it takes longer to get there.

Quote:
If you ever built a 3.1.4 and 3.9 system and compared them side by side, you'd know which was the most complete and the most "bug" free.
I did. Now what? Do you have an idea how 3.1.4 was started? When possible, I used the 3.9 components and fixed bugs. So, I'm not quite clear how you got the idea that this is backwards. It was just harder to do as I lack the attitude of "oh, let's just steal if I don't want to do it myself".

Quote:

To the best of my knowledge there is no current legal challenge to Apollo/Coffin from the OS3.9 license holders, there hasn't been any legal challenge in the handful of years Apollo has been around, and there isn't likely to be.
Maybe, maybe not. That still does not make the thing legal. You act like a child "I wanna, I wanna", and don't understand that you cannot just take what isn't yours.

Quote:
However, there IS a legal challenge by the legal license holders against 3.1.4 which isn't resolved.
We'll see how that goes, yes. Cloanto wants to get rid of a competitor, obviously.

Quote:
How many freaking licenses do we Amiga users have to buy, anyway? Do I feel ripped off? Yup.
One for every installation, apparently. Same as for most other commercial software. I'm ok if you don't like 3.1.4, you are entitled to your opinion, but then have to use the software for which you did pay licenses, as 3.1 or 3.9. Works for me. But if you want to use 3.1.4, you need to buy it. That's how life works.
Old 02 June 2020, 19:44   #257
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

This thread is becoming an insane witch hunt.
It's time to chill out
Old 02 June 2020, 19:45   #258
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I think you're wrong, OS3.9 is the most stable and complete Amiga system there is, you can tell by the people who have been using it for years.

Not from the inside, I afraid. Oh, wait: Haven't the release notes for 3.1.4. been provided recently? Just read the "non-existing bugs" of 3.9.

Look, I am not complaining about them. Software does have bugs, that's how it works. But at least, somebody was cleaning up, identified them and fixed them.
Old 02 June 2020, 19:47   #259
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Exactly, AMIGASYSTEM which is why so many applications *require* 3.5/3.9 to even run correctly, or at all.

I'm not sure which applications these are, but if there are reaction based applications, this problem will be addressed. *After* clarifying the legal status and paying off its developer, from the sales of 3.1.4, BTW.

This is how things work if you do it the honest way. Longer, harder...
Old 02 June 2020, 19:48   #260
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochabian View Post
This thread is becoming an insane witch hunt.
It's time to chill out

This thread started as one, and it's only getting worse. Again, time for the angry arguing people to step away from their computers and go outside for some fresh air for a bit.