English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 12 August 2022, 01:03   #2421
UltraNarwhal

At some point after the 23rd July 2022.6 experimental build Panels got broken. I can no longer print to a centre panel (text doesn't show up) and Wait for player to press fire is ignored.
Old 12 August 2022, 06:34   #2422
earok

Latest experimental update:

* Mixel reported there may be some issues with players 2-4 walking on moving platforms, in an attempt to fix it I ended up rewriting the system substantially so now also CPU_Platform actors can also walk on moving platforms (also future proofed it for if we ever have more than four players at once).
* Flibble42 requested the ability to change the delay for every frame in an animation at once, there's now a button for it.
* Ultranarwhal reported some issues with panels and delay and I'm not totally sure I've fixed them all, but I've fixed at least some (all stemming from the new logic/output speed adjustment function)

-

@UltraNarwhal I think I fixed everything you reported but I'm not totally sure. If there's anything outstanding, please give me a demo and I'll take another look.
Old 12 August 2022, 18:09   #2423
UltraNarwhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Latest experimental update:
* Ultranarwhal reported some issues with panels and delay and I'm not totally sure I've fixed them all, but I've fixed at least some (all stemming from the new logic/output speed adjustment function)
Seems fine for me now
Old 12 August 2022, 19:35   #2424
acidbottle

I have an issue!

On platform and cpu_path types, specifically when it moves left and right, my player is being shunted either to the front or back of the actor, normally resulting in insta death!

This has started on the latest build for me, though admittedly I had not downloaded a new build since the end of July.
Old 13 August 2022, 02:47   #2425
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post
I have an issue!

On platform and cpu_path types, specifically when it moves left and right, my player is being shunted either to the front or back of the actor, normally resulting in insta death!

This has started on the latest build for me, though admittedly I had not downloaded a new build since the end of July.
I'll need a check in to investigate
Old 13 August 2022, 09:34   #2426
Mixel

I also have an odd thing with cpu path I don’t fully understand. I have a square path (this is Wizonk) with two cpu_path actors moving around the square.. Cor some reason the two actors do the horizontal stretches of the path at slightly different heights? I’ll do a check in too asap.
Old 13 August 2022, 09:43   #2427
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixel View Post
I also have an odd thing with cpu path I don’t fully understand. I have a square path (this is Wizonk) with two cpu_path actors moving around the square.. Cor some reason the two actors do the horizontal stretches of the path at slightly different heights? I’ll do a check in too asap.
Do they have different speeds or nudge offsets from the tile?
Old 13 August 2022, 10:04   #2428
Mixel

Scorpion Engine

Quote:
Do they have different speeds or nudge offsets from the tile?

They’re both the same type of actor, so same speeds, nudge etc, but they start at different sides of the rectangle, so they circle the map.

Last edited by Mixel; 13 August 2022 at 11:01.
Old 13 August 2022, 11:00   #2429
flibble42

@Earok

I bit the bullet and made a GitHub account (Thanks BitBeam), do you have a prefered safe way to recieve Collab requests? I get that you want to keep your E-Mail as quite as possible.

Bob
Old 13 August 2022, 11:16   #2430
earok

Impromptu stream shortly, will be just stress testing the various demos to check for bugs ahead of a new public release

---

@flibble42 Ah, great! I don't mind receiving emails about Scorpion projects, earok 3d at gmail dot com

---

@mixel That's odd! I'll need to take a look sometime
Old 13 August 2022, 11:20   #2431
flibble42

@Earok

Sent
Old 13 August 2022, 14:02   #2432
acidbottle

Quote:
I'll need a check in to investigate
Cheers earok! Checked in now.

Annoyingly it didn't happen when I set the player position right at the offending platform .. weird!

To test, grab the axe and hop over 5 or 6 platforms (easy i promise) kill 3 snails and the left and right moving cloud is there.

It happens elsewhere to with up and down brick platforms and probably other to. Wondering if its a cpu_path or even camera position issue?
Old 13 August 2022, 22:20   #2433
flibble42

Can someone fill me in on how Melee collisions work, does the player need to do something (fire etc) or can a Melee collision be picked up with no user interaction in a codeblock?

My scenario, i want to upgrade the machine gun in SH to a laser. If a car hits the middle of the beam it will spin-out maybe but if hit by the tip KABOOM.

I want the middle of the beam to have a Melee hit box, but the tip will be a proper collision box, this way Scorpion can do the hit detection work.

Any info is welcome.

Bob

Last edited by flibble42; 14 August 2022 at 00:14.
Old 14 August 2022, 07:35   #2434
earok

Latest experimental update addresses some issues found on stream last night. This can be considered a release candidate update, so it should be bug free but if it isn't, I'll address anything that comes up ASAP.

* Fix for issue where platform actor is shoved to the left or right side of the platform on a horizontal moving platform, I believe this was AcidBottle's reported bug but I'm not totally sure. I'm also not sure what exactly I changed to fix it but I did some general tidy ups on the code as well.
* Fix for issue where, if there's an event set to a type other than "none" and there's no codeblock attached, it will crash

---

@AcidBottle I can't compile the latest checked in wonderboy, error "actor umbrella_actor and actor gameover_message both have the same tile id 128"

---

@Flibble I'd probably avoid using melee boxes altogether, it's only really meant for an attack animation where one frame in a sequence triggers a collision, but in any case the "Monkey Lad" demo has fairly extensive melee box support (the player's punch can damage enemy actors as well as blocks).

I'd measure the distance on the collision event between the bullet and the object. I did that for Gunsmoke (so that a single actor that is two bullets left and right, will split into either the left bullet or the right bullet if one side hits an enemy). Something like

if projectile_x < actor_x - 10 ;on the left side
else if projectile_x > actor_x + 10 ;on the right side
else ;In the middle
endif
Old 14 August 2022, 12:40   #2435
acidbottle

Cheers earok, the shoving issue on platforms is fixed here.

That said, still have an issue with a platform (apparently unrelated). Will fix the compile issue and check it in tonight hopefully. It kinda slowly moves downward for some reason, never an issue before, though some of my code may be outdated now
Old 16 August 2022, 09:30   #2436
flibble42

@Earok

Any way of letting the "Command Catagories" have a global search?
The number of times i know what i want but don't remember where to find it.

Also i am curious about the Max Entities box, it seems that if i set it to 1 when a second instance is spawned the first is destroyed. Is this correct, and if so, how do i use it to my advantage/detect how many of a type exist?

Bob

Last edited by flibble42; 16 August 2022 at 09:39.
Old 16 August 2022, 13:44   #2437
S0ulA55a551n

nice bit in this months retro gamer
Old 16 August 2022, 23:26   #2438
UltraNarwhal

Just checking this is the correct way to reload a level if using cache maps. Codeblock stuff ADVANCED:Reload level (takes 7 seconds)
and not
Codeblock stuff Load level... (takes 14 seconds)
Old 17 August 2022, 01:09   #2439
earok

@S0ulA55a551n Can't wait to get my copy!

---

@Flibble42 That's correct re: max entities.

To count the number of entities active at once you can use foreach. Eg

MyCount = 0
Foreach Actor of type MyActor run codeblock CountMyActor

And CountMyActor would just increase MyCount by 1.

I'll need to think about how to implement a command search.

---

@UltraNarwhall I'll investigate, I must have made a mistake with updating the level load function sometime that broke caching.
Old 17 August 2022, 01:22   #2440
flibble42

@Earok

Would it be possible to add an expression box to the ForEach command? Running a code block just to add 1 seems a bit wasteful.

Also, and i think you need to address this, i'm not sure when it was last on your radar. If you copy a codeblock that has Variables and Constants defined it makes a real mess of the Editor (I sort of understand why). Experienced users will know what to do, newbies will probably panic.

Bob

Last edited by flibble42; 17 August 2022 at 01:34.