English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

Old 05 June 2018, 13:16   #221
Clydos
aka (Cpt)JohnArcher

@DamienD: Sorry DamienD, I misread you quoted post ... Hope you can sort out your personal issues soon!
Old 05 June 2018, 13:20   #222
E-Penguin
Banana

You're all wrong about open source, you know... The Amiga is dead commercially and if there's to be any hope of growing a home-brew scene, the more code available the better. See numerous threads here about how great it would be to open source Workbench.

What's the purpose of this competition, which grew out of the "why is the home brew scene rubbish on the amiga" thread? Is it to encourage existing developers to do what they're already doing, or to get new people involved?

I'm not going to demand open source as there's clearly not enough support, but we should encourage it as a statement in the rules. Maybe it'll make a few people open source where they wouldn't otherwise have thought of it.
Old 05 June 2018, 13:30   #223
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I didn't want to be the "benevolent dictator" to organize for 2 reasonaas:

1 I want to be a contestant
2 I am working like hell up until October, and my free time for personal projects is very limited up until then.

Though I agree without someone being the "Central organizer" this won't go anywhere. If no one steps up I'll do it. Some people already offered help through PMs.. so maybe this weekend I can set up something... Create a page, establish a deadline and set all the rules for this

Does anyone want to draw a logo for the.contest?
Old 05 June 2018, 13:32   #224
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Yup, sadly this thread seems to be going nowhere fast...

Let's keep it simple; 3 categories which cater for everyone:

1) OCS/ECS 512+512KB.
2) AGA 2MB (so that it could run on a stock CD32/A1200)
3) Anything else.

I don't agree with:

a) The games entered have to be given away 100% free. If someone / people are going to work for 6 months on a game then they should be able to ask for money once complete.
b) Source code doesn't need to be shared; this is totally the game creators' choice if they so wish.

Also, I'll again quote one of my posts in this thread:

meckert has done a really good job with all of the above; raised donations / support from Amiga vendors / structured the competition / arranged prizes / promoted etc...

Has anyone asked if he'd be prepared to assist with this?

I really agree with people trying to make money with the games. But then you suggest judges get a free copy of the game ?
Old 05 June 2018, 13:35   #225
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
I really agree with people trying to make money with the games. But then you suggest judges get a free copy of the game ?
No one should get a free copy of the completed games unless that's what the game creators' want / specify but they shouldn't be under any obligation to do so.

...of course any demos entered should be free as they are not the finished product and just a work in progress / teaser.
Old 05 June 2018, 13:36   #226
Ian
Global Moderator

You go for it (as long as all my suggestions are in there )

Else this will go nowhere.

Be a shame for this to fizzle out, besides, I don't think being the dictator of the project means you cannot enter, unless you are planning on judging as well
Old 05 June 2018, 13:47   #227
Clydos
aka (Cpt)JohnArcher

Yep, Ian is right. As long as you are not judging, Old Shatterhand ;-) can also participate.
Old 05 June 2018, 13:55   #228
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
No one should get a free copy of the completed games [...] of course any demos entered should be free as they are not the finished product and just a work in progress / teaser.
You mean completed subsequently to the competition? Yes, that's fair. What's submitted to the competition should be freely available to play though.
Old 05 June 2018, 14:05   #229
Amiten
Banned

come gentlemen ahead with this, what is needed for this to begin? more money? , this as everything, that a team or people is proposed for the organization and that they get in touch somewhere to start discussin , we can do things in phases, first that the organizing team is named, then a president some vowels the judges (this you can come later as some people here pointed out, people from the Amiga world like David pleasance and many others I can help in contacting theys). and also the treasurer, the organizing team will already agree or establish the rules, but let's go in parts and define this.

For Example we can start with this , Who wants to be an Organizer and what Role wants to be, why should you be?

long life to the Amiga!
Old 05 June 2018, 14:12   #230
sokolovic

I definitively hope that devs competing will sell their games. That would mean the competition is a success.

Count me in for 20€ in the prize pot when we'll have a paypal link on the contest website. Maybe more, it will depends of my funds at the end of the contest

does a 9 month deadline is too long ? Maybe that can increase the pot prize if people see many participant and wishes to make a donation after ? also we can imagine that a certain donation will offer you the 1st ranking game in the category of your choice.

(and I think the categories subject is closed with the DamienD suggestion).
Old 05 June 2018, 14:15   #231
Lazycow

Usually, the submitted games are free to download for everyone! (makes sense for me)

For the C64 RGCD 16k compo, all games are free to download and "some" of the best games have been sold on cartridge. (and each attendee got HIS cartridge for free)

For the NES nesdev 64k compo, all games are free to download and one cartridge with all compo games has been sold. (and each attendee got a cartridge for free)

Often, an improved version of some games will be sold AFTER the competition and this is not always available for free download. The reason for this: Usually, you struggle to finish everything on the deadline.

For an Amiga Compo, there could be something like this, e.g. a CD32-compatible CD with cover art, etc.
Old 05 June 2018, 14:21   #232
E-Penguin
Banana

I took the liberty of registering a domain name. It should point to this thread once it's activated.

http://gamedevcompami.ga
Old 05 June 2018, 14:47   #233
Amiten
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
I took the liberty of registering a domain name. It should point to this thread once it's activated.

http://gamedevcompami.ga
Good way to start Doing ... Domain Done! Next Movement please , now we are Talking

Lets make This happens Amigans lol
Old 05 June 2018, 14:56   #234
Amiten
Banned

Penguin :20 Euros

LeCaravage :15 Euros

Alpha One :50 Euros

McGeezer :50 Euros

Robisonb5: 50 Euros

DamienD: 200 Euros

Amiten :50 Euros

Sokolovic: 20 Euros

Total so far: 455 Euros
Old 05 June 2018, 14:59   #235
Ian
Global Moderator

As it's an compo bourn on eab I'm sure rck could've done something.

But no matter.
Old 05 June 2018, 15:06   #236
E-Penguin
Banana

It's just a re-direct, I can point it to something on EAB once it's set up.
Old 05 June 2018, 15:23   #237
Ian
Global Moderator

That's ok either way really. Rck might want nowt to do with it lol. Once it's all decided we can ask him. Although he's a busy guy so won't happen overnight.
Old 05 June 2018, 16:16   #238
mcgeezer

I'm happy to help out with domains and hosting, web development etc...maybe a Wordpress site or something.

Just let me know.

Geezer
Old 05 June 2018, 17:09   #239
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
No one should get a free copy of the completed games unless that's what the game creators' want / specify but they shouldn't be under any obligation to do so.

...of course any demos entered should be free as they are not the finished product and just a work in progress / teaser.
So you say judges would judge the game using a demo ?

I agree devs may try to make money with their games. I also agree contestants may give just demos to be judged, though I believe this will diminish their chance.

Also, yeah I'd like to be a contestant, but of course not a judge . If everyone is ok with me setting it up while being a contestant, then ok
Old 05 June 2018, 17:12   #240
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
So you say judges would judge the game using a demo ?
They judge on whatever has been entered into the contest by the time of closing; hopefully it would be the full game but it may possibly be a demo / work in progress and still require further work...