English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 05 May 2009, 00:23   #221
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I didn't know that. Thanks for the information!
I was not the only one, It would seem :
http://www.gag.com/bdale/blog/posts/Teac_FD-55F.html

Quote:
Thanks! Or you could just send me the bags and I'll find it!

Seriously, you wouldn't find nothing interesting for you. You have a lot of nicer things, I'm sure!
Old 05 May 2009, 00:29   #222
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
I was not the only one, It would seem :
http://www.gag.com/bdale/blog/posts/Teac_FD-55F.html
Is yours the Teac FD-55F too?
Old 05 May 2009, 00:34   #223
Supamax

Quote:
Is yours the Teac FD-55F too?
Yep! FD-55F-22-U.
But... why the "" face? It's a good drive!
Old 05 May 2009, 00:45   #224
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yep! FD-55F-22-U.
But... why the "" face? It's a good drive!
I'm sure it *is* a good drive! And how reassuring it must be to find that someone else concurs.
Old 05 May 2009, 00:52   #225
Supamax

Quote:
And how reassuring it must be to find that someone else concurs.
He he! Not that I needed someone to confirm that ; I successfully used that drive for years.

I also have a FD-55GFR-654-U (HD, 1.2 MB) which rocks with DISK2FDI. With it, I could dump many 5,25" Amiga floppies of mine.
I mean: I dumped some with the 55F and some other with the 55GFR.
Old 05 May 2009, 00:59   #226
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I also have a FD-55GFR-654-U (HD, 1.2 MB) which rocks with DISK2FDI. With it, I could dump many 5,25" Amiga floppies of mine.
I mean: I dumped some with the 55F and some other with the 55GFR.
This sounds like a good subject for a new thread asking for other users' similar experiences, etc.
Old 05 May 2009, 01:02   #227
Yoto
1 Potato to SpamĀ“em all!

@ prowler

Quote:
Were you interested in using the external socket to connect a DF0: drive, or DF1: / DF2: / DF3 ?
Thanks for remembering!

Maybe a DF1, but as supamax suggested a Df0 is also a reasonable option, i guess it would allow someone to mount it only when necessary, and get hold of the extra space available inside the A1200 case.
Old 05 May 2009, 01:05   #228
Supamax

Quote:
This sounds like a good subject for a new thread asking for other users' similar experiences, etc.
Vincent, the author of DISK2FDI, told me that he had only 1 other similar request or so during these years (reading 720 KB 5,25" Amiga disks with DISK2FDI and a 5,25" 1.2 MB drive), so I "modestly" think I am one of the few who had an external Teac + drive interface (by the way, the drive interface I used is Hardital's ADRIVE).
Old 05 May 2009, 01:08   #229
Supamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotoxionomai View Post
Maybe a DF1, but as supamax suggested a Df0 is also a reasonable option, i guess it would allow someone to mount it only when necessary, and get hold of the extra space available inside the A1200 case.
Yes, this is another reason I was thinking to.
The "gained" space could be use for HD (even 3.5") or... anything else.
Old 05 May 2009, 01:19   #230
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotoxionomai View Post
@ prowler

Thanks for remembering!

Hi Yotoxionomai,

Well, obviously DF1: is the easiest option of them all. However, DF0: should be possible, subject to getting the /SEL0 signal connected satisfactorily and disconnecting or removing the internal floppy drive.

I have all the schematics I need. I'll have to strip a PC floppy drive cable and connect one end to a DB23 plug and use it to connect between one of Stedy's adapters and the external floppy connector of my A1200.

As far as I can see, it should just be a case of using either the /SEL1 or /SEL0 signals to address the drive appropriately.

I hope to be able to test this "theory" soon.

prowler
Old 05 May 2009, 01:37   #231
Supamax

@ prowler,

be careful when cabling. I once fried a 1541 IC when experimenting with C64 user port and such... However, if you're skilled in electronics just ignore what I wrote .

A question: since you have an external Amiga drive (with case etc.) and Stedy's interface, wouldn't it easier to make the test by connecting it between the drive and the board, in the external drive itself?

Why do you need (in this phase, at least) the DB23 connector, make all the cabling, etc.?
Old 05 May 2009, 01:45   #232
Eclipse
Turpentine

Edit: I totally missed the point. Should not skim threads

Last edited by Eclipse; 05 May 2009 at 01:50.
Old 05 May 2009, 01:52   #233
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
@ prowler,

be careful when cabling. I once fried a 1541 IC when experimenting with C64 user port and such... However, if you're skilled in electronics just ignore what I wrote .
Don't worry mate! I am a fully qualified electronic engineer, and that was my previous occupation.

Quote:
A question: since you have an external Amiga drive (with case etc.) and Stedy's interface, wouldn't it easier to make the test by connecting it between the drive and the board, in the external drive itself?

Why do you need (in this phase, at least) the DB23 connector, make all the cabling, etc.?
I have already verified that Stedy's adapter allows the use of a PC floppy drive in an external Amiga drive, with the adapter connected between the board and the drive.

However, my test with the ribbon cable with DB23 connector on one end and IDC34 connector on the other will show whether Stedy's adapter can be used on its own to enable a PC floppy drive to operate when connected to the external floppy drive socket without the other interface board. The user is then free to use any case which fits to house the drive. The drive's address could even be selected with a switch.

Last edited by prowler; 20 July 2009 at 00:24. Reason: Repaired quote.
Old 05 May 2009, 01:56   #234
Supamax

Quote:
I have already verified that Stedy's adapter allows the use of a PC floppy drive in an external Amiga drive, with the adapter connected between the board and the drive.

However, my test with the ribbon cable with DB23 connector on one end and IDC34 connector on the other will show whether Stedy's adapter can be used on its own to enable a PC floppy drive to operate when connected to the external floppy drive socket without the other interface board. The user is then free to use any case which fits to house the drive. The drive's address could even be selected with a switch.
Then all is clear to me! Cool!
Old 05 May 2009, 22:22   #235
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Yotoxionomai/Supamax,

This is the document which will give me the information I shall need to build my cable for testing the suitability of Stedy's existing adapter for use on the external floppy drive connector.

Warning: It's a 3073 x 2352 bitmap image (20.6MB) when it's unzipped!

prowler
Attached Files
File Type: zip Floppy Logic Rev 1.zip (161.9 KB, 525 views)

Last edited by prowler; 05 May 2009 at 22:29.
Old 20 July 2009, 00:19   #236
Stedy

Hi,

First of all, I still have 8 units of my adaptor PCB available. PCB only, kit of parts or assembled options are available, it only takes 20 minutes with the soldering iron to turn a kit into an assembled unit.

I am also after some feedback for my customers.

What make and model of disk drives have you used the unit with?

Also what Amiga have you used it in and especially for the A1200, what motherboard revision do you have?

One user has an Escom/AT A1200 with a 1D4 motherboard and the Panasonic JU-257 drive. Even with my PCB, it does not work. Has anyone else had an issue with a 1D4 motherboard?
The unit in question has been tested in a Commodore A1200 and it worked fine.

Can anyone suggest any test software to run?

I suggested the Drivetest program from Aminet, but it crashed my A600. Will resurrect the A1200 soon and re-test.

Have shipped 42 units so far and this is the first compatibility issue reported to me.

Ian
Old 05 August 2009, 00:01   #237
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Ian,

A bit more feedback for you...

Your PC floppy adapter got me out of a sticky situation this evening when the interrnal floppy drive packed up in my newly acquired Amiga 500 which I was using to check the floppy disks which came bundled with it.

It's a Rev 6A motherboard with Chinon FB-354 floppy drive. I just swapped out the drive and fitted a Mitsumi D359T5 PC floppy drive in its place using one of your adapters. Easy. And it's working like a charm!

(The Mitsumi is the same floppy drive that I used to test your adapter in my Escom A1200. It's one of my favourite floppy drives, because it's so quiet in operation - especially useful in a floppy-only system. )

The drive doesn't fit the A500's case properly, but it will keep the machine going until I can get the original drive fixed or replaced.
Old 23 August 2009, 15:58   #238
xlar54

Im reaching here, but the logic seems to make sense...

This device allows Amigas to use standard PC floppy drives, correct? And the Commodore 1581 is supposedly the same as an Amiga floppy drive. Does that mean that this would allow a Commodore 8-bit to use a standard PC floppy drive in a 1581? If so, this device has an even wider audience.
Old 14 September 2009, 18:49   #239
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Right I cba to read the entire thread so all I want to know is where can I get one of these adaptors?

EDIT: I couldnt resist reading everything and im now ordering some adaptors

Last edited by ElectroBlaster; 14 September 2009 at 19:01.
Old 14 September 2009, 20:28   #240
Supamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlar54 View Post
Im reaching here, but the logic seems to make sense...

This device allows Amigas to use standard PC floppy drives, correct? And the Commodore 1581 is supposedly the same as an Amiga floppy drive. Does that mean that this would allow a Commodore 8-bit to use a standard PC floppy drive in a 1581? If so, this device has an even wider audience.
Hi xlar54,
I suppose it should work. The "PC floppy + Stedy's interface" kit is seen by the Amiga exactly as an Amiga floppy.
So, if the 1581's internal mechanics/drive is an Amiga floppy, it should be possible to use the aforementioned kit instead .